The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 00:28:23 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350681 Posts in 28573 Topics by 6819 Members
Latest Member: Umanisti
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  How about a proper ONE PIECE WINDOW thread......
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: How about a proper ONE PIECE WINDOW thread......  (Read 15983 times)
Lee.C

I might be an Idiot but I'm not an Arsehole!

« on: September 25, 2008, 22:53:42 pm »

As the title says guys, how about a PROPER one piece window thread  Huh Smiley I know there are ALOT of us who want to fit/run them so let here from you guys that have "Been there done that"  Wink

Lets have plenty of pic's and diagrams explaining what needed to be done with different years, seal, lifters etc  - I really have very little info on this subject  Smiley

Here is one of the first Wink Smiley

You either "Get It" or you don't......
Jim Ratto

« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2008, 23:02:18 pm »

good idea.

Gary Berg's were trick in the Berglar. They even had a bright molding at lower outer sill, that fit contour of stock door. And they didn't rattle, jam, fall down, etc.

Don't forget the cables to replace stock door stops (that have to be removed to do 1 piece glass)

I can't begin to tell you how many 1 piece kits I sold in the 90's.....  Shocked
they were a fast mover.... big time!
bugnut68

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2008, 23:02:53 pm »

I will never again run one piece windows.  I have no idea which kit I had in my first '59 Bug, but evidently it was one of the crappiest around, so I'm guessing it was made by EMPI/MR. Bug.  Grin

I prefer the stock vent windows, anyways, and I realize I'm digressing from the thread's topic.  I would be interested to know if someone makes an excellent quality kit, as I have yet to see one.
Diederick/DVK

They're never done till they're sold

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2008, 23:06:28 pm »

it would be great to hear how it was done back in the day.
but to know how it's been done the last few years you should get in touch with either tobi or dirk from DFL.
then there's the black bitch that runs them. or art guiterrez...

just an idea i guess...

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
DVK ~ Der Vollgas Kreuzers
Lee.C

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2008, 23:08:56 pm »

"Don't forget the cables to replace stock door stops (that have to be removed to do 1 piece glass)"

See there you go I didn't even know that Roll Eyes Smiley

Keep it coming guys  Smiley

louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2008, 23:15:53 pm »

Donny B. has a nice setup.

I have the bugpack kit, which most everyone sells these days, going in the '67. The problem with all the kits I have seen is that the ends of the door scrapers don't curve up to meet the window channel. There is also not enough support when the window is rolled down so they rattle. Both seem to be easy fixes. The hot rod aftermarket has some really nicely engineered kits that fit well. Why we can't have the same is beyond me.

--louis

Louis Brooks

The Beatings Will Continue Until Moral Improves!
Jim Ratto

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2008, 23:20:22 pm »

We sold the old San Bernardino Glass kits

some of the "problems" were truly from the design of kits, though some of the parts were improved upon as years went on.
but honestly, most of the issues stemmed from poor installation techniques. A lot of rushed and sloppy jobs done by D I Y'ers. Of course they were the guys that bitched and wanted to warranty everything.

if a guy leaves the stock door stop ion place, it will break glass if window is rolled down and the door is closed. We sold a little looped cable that replaced the door stop that flexed enough not to break glass.
bugnut68

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2008, 23:24:51 pm »

good idea.

Gary Berg's were trick in the Berglar. They even had a bright molding at lower outer sill, that fit contour of stock door. And they didn't rattle, jam, fall down, etc.

Don't forget the cables to replace stock door stops (that have to be removed to do 1 piece glass)

I can't begin to tell you how many 1 piece kits I sold in the 90's.....  Shocked
they were a fast mover.... big time!

Cal Stops Grin
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2008, 23:41:03 pm »

most of the issues stemmed from poor installation techniques.

I think that is the trick right there. Take your time, make sure everything is right, and you shouldn't have any problems.

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Lee.C

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2008, 23:41:59 pm »

Hmmm so anyone have a link to kits for sale  Huh Smiley

Tony M

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2008, 00:03:38 am »

Proper ? That kit is not Sold - None of the kit are worth a shit - I had to refit the ones on my car - Did it all new - new long felts - run far enough down to hold glass good - used the scrapers with the clips - had to cut, bend, and glue at the end to roll with the window opening - They dont leak or rattle - Sure wish i had stock windows - miss the vent wings

Life is too fast to drive a slow VW
Jim Ratto

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2008, 00:26:37 am »

Proper ? That kit is not Sold - None of the kit are worth a shit - I had to refit the ones on my car - Did it all new - new long felts - run far enough down to hold glass good - used the scrapers with the clips - had to cut, bend, and glue at the end to roll with the window opening - They dont leak or rattle - Sure wish i had stock windows - miss the vent wings

dude you probably sold more SBG kits than anybody @ BH besides Big Mark... now look atcha...  "I miss my vent wings"
jeeez  Roll Eyes
lawrence

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2008, 00:30:43 am »

I remember reading somewhere that type 3 scrapers are longer than type 1 and if the type 3s are used the window rattling/sealing problem can be eliminated.

"Happiness is a Hot VW!"
Lee.C

« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2008, 00:41:32 am »

Huh Huh Huh Any experience's  Huh Huh Huh

https://www.cip1.ca/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=ACC-C10-3208

http://www.jbugs.com/store/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=bp60

louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2008, 00:43:48 am »

They are both the Bugpack kit. If it has snap in seals, it is pretty much a good bet it is the bug pack one.

--louis

Louis Brooks

« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2008, 00:50:35 am »

I would PM Frenchy Dehoux.
I remember him telling me about a ton of refinements he made on the kit used in his Sealing Wax Red Oval window.
 Smiley
Lee.C

« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2008, 01:27:52 am »

I remember him telling me about a ton of refinements he made on the kit used in his Sealing Wax Red Oval window.
 Smiley

Thanks for the tip dude - I will do it NOW  Wink Smiley

louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2008, 01:38:09 am »

Smiley

Ask him to post his tips here please. I would like to know as well.

--louis

Louis Brooks

Lee.C

« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2008, 01:45:01 am »

Smiley

Ask him to post his tips here please. I would like to know as well.

--louis

Already done guys  Wink Smiley

Donny B.

« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2008, 02:22:50 am »

I don't recall seeing anything different in Frenchy's install than everyone else.  I would be interested as well.  I have seen his cars and they are nice.  I kinda like my one piece window install a little better.  JMO.

Don Bulitta
Wolfsburg Registry
Tony M

« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2008, 03:06:59 am »

Dont harp on me Jim - The bug allready had them in - I just had to fix them - Mine work great - But nice with the vent wing - We did sell a lot of those kits - But as stated befor - Need to take your time to do the job right - The snap in scrapers are the best - Just triming and tuning them to your door is a little work - But the end result is worth the time - I think i used BugPack scrapers, and 3m glue.

Life is too fast to drive a slow VW
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2008, 03:15:16 am »

I think i used BugPack scrapers, and 3m glue.

So you used the snap in seals and glued them in? Or just the ends you cut and bent? Does it seem to be holding?

Thanks,

--louis

Louis Brooks

Bryan67

« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2008, 03:23:29 am »

I`ve never actually installed any before but have dealt with them in the past. I do know that they will work much better on 65 and later cars since those years already have the right regulator from the factory. No need to try to fit them to earlier cars which is never good. I do remember the demo doors that I think the Buggy House used to show at Pleasanton at their booth. They worked killer.

If you`re going to do something, do it right.
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2008, 03:28:13 am »

BTW, the repo window regulators they sell now are crap. Try to find a good used factory unit if you need one. My '67 had a repo one on the driver's side and it broke from the weight of the 1 piece glass. Fortunately, I had a spare factory one that worked perfectly.

--louis

Louis Brooks

Donny B.

« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2008, 03:36:48 am »

Fortunately, I had a spare factory one that worked perfectly.

Good that means I don't need to send you any of my spares.....   LOL!

Don Bulitta
Wolfsburg Registry
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2008, 03:54:17 am »

There is always the pass side door.  Wink

--louis

Louis Brooks

Donny B.

« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2008, 03:57:39 am »

I know that not everyone cares but here is what mine look like.  I am sure that not everyone will like them, but they work for me.

Don Bulitta
Wolfsburg Registry
Tobi/DFL

« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2008, 08:52:44 am »

it would be great to hear how it was done back in the day.
but to know how it's been done the last few years you should get in touch with either tobi or dirk from DFL.
then there's the black bitch that runs them. or art guiterrez...

just an idea i guess...

Hi Diederick,

unfortunately I canīt help as I havenīt installed one-piece windows yet. Iīm sometimes thinking about fitting some but I would go the "easy" way and would look for stock split window doors with one-piece windows fitted at the factory.;-)
Bye,

Tobi
benssp

www.callookvw.com

« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2008, 08:55:37 am »

there was a company at beaulieu sellin metre long strips of felt lined seal, i'll try and find a link.

Bugpack seals are the better 'off the shelf' option, just need to snip some small cut-outs at the end and glue them in, dave rhoads car has the best fitting seals i have seen.
your car is a 66? so you will already have the dual lifter mechs Smiley

we sell the door check strap cables Smiley

www.vwheritage.com  My Job
www.bernardnewbury.co.uk My Team
any work related enquiries to ben@vwheritage.com PM's about work will not be answered Cheesy

Bitburg Motor Boat Club Founder Member

YMCA
Neil Davies

« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2008, 10:39:07 am »

your car is a 66? so you will already have the dual lifter mechs Smiley

I was going to say that! Dual lifters are the way to go - stops the rock. I'd also recommend lengthening the lifter channel to support the glass a bit better. I think I'm going to experiment with a modified factory scraper seal. Smiley

I would go the "easy" way and would look for stock split window doors with one-piece windows fitted at the factory.;-)

I think split bug window winders need something silly like 20 turns from open to closed! I've never opened mine... Cheesy

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: