The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 29, 2024, 15:42:01 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350869 Posts in 28606 Topics by 6827 Members
Latest Member: bmwjaguare5
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  This just in........
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 Print
Author Topic: This just in........  (Read 47577 times)
Lee.C

I might be an Idiot but I'm not an Arsehole!

« Reply #120 on: October 20, 2008, 22:06:01 pm »

Dam right  Wink My friend Gav (G77) did a pair of his for the back of his 63 and he fooled a couple of "experts" at Bad Camberg last year  Grin it just takes a bit of thought  Smiley

Shocked Shocked Shocked  Wink Grin

Seriosly  Shocked Wink Smiley I was also gonna say that after you polish them and they have been on the road for a few miles and oxodized alittle they look evem more "REAL" they really doo look cool - like I say it just takes a bit of thought oh yeah and a friend who can spray the spokes in 2pack for you for free  Wink Smiley

You either "Get It" or you don't......
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #121 on: October 20, 2008, 22:08:00 pm »

To keep further hi-jacking this thread. I was thinking of painting my 'burner replicas charcoal instead of straight black. Give it a little contrast with a black paint job.

--louis

Louis Brooks

The Beatings Will Continue Until Moral Improves!
Lee.C

I might be an Idiot but I'm not an Arsehole!

« Reply #122 on: October 20, 2008, 22:09:35 pm »

To keep further hi-jacking this thread. I was thinking of painting my 'burner replicas charcoal instead of straight black. Give it a little contrast with a black paint job.

--louis

Hmmm not sure - it might work, just my 2 cents dude  Smiley

You either "Get It" or you don't......
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #123 on: October 21, 2008, 01:23:51 am »

If you MUST have the original look, then go with Sarge's suggestion. He and I have the exact same wheels, but his look way more authentic than mine. I doubt that I'll ever go through all of that, though. I've had so many wheels that I've had to polish that I'm very over it. The only wheel polishing that I want to do is when I do customers' cars or helping a friend prep their car(s) for shows. Here's one of my wheels.

That or until I find someone to trade me a set of late 6" Fuchs five spokes in natural finish or my clear coat (God forbid) ever goes south. In the meantime, I love my clear coated wheels... when I pull my car outta the garage, I wipe off the BRMs, dust off the paint and windows, then I drive. Done deal. I used to have to polish my old wheels every other day to keep 'em in show condition. I'm not 20 years of age, any more. HAHA!! I'd rather spend that needless time (polishing) skateboarding empty pools and/or surfing.

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #124 on: October 21, 2008, 01:53:51 am »

--louis

Isn't that how Kaforski did his??

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #125 on: October 21, 2008, 03:08:22 am »

That's where I got the idea.  Grin Look at the shot of his car in the HVW engine book. 

Though I can not tell if his is painted charcoal gray or if its just the pictures.

--louis

Louis Brooks

vwxtc4free

« Reply #126 on: October 21, 2008, 03:45:08 am »

Heres my og burner powder coated charcoal . Had my gas tank and running boards done the same color .Wish I would have had them cleared after I polished them though. Sad My thumbs hurt ! Cheesy

Sarge

« Reply #127 on: October 21, 2008, 03:48:55 am »

If you MUST have the original look, then go with Sarge's suggestion. He and I have the exact same wheels, but his look way more authentic than mine. I doubt that I'll ever go through all of that, though. I've had so many wheels that I've had to polish that I'm very over it.  I used to have to polish my old wheels every other day to keep 'em in show condition. I'm not 20 years of age, any more. HAHA!!  

The metal is pretty "tight" on a Flat Four and takes a long lasting shine very similar to a forged Fuchs wheel, so little polishing is needed.  I'm good for once a month on the outer rims with a little Never-Dull.  Now, those REAL BRM's..... Tongue Wink

DKP III
Rennsurfer

« Reply #128 on: October 21, 2008, 04:19:22 am »

The metal is pretty "tight" on a Flat Four and takes a long lasting shine very similar to a forged Fuchs wheel, so little polishing is needed.  I'm good for once a month on the outer rims with a little Never-Dull. 

COOL, Sarge. Thanks for the education on our wheels. Good to know, in case my clear coat ever dies away. If they're anything like the Fuchs metal, I'll be okay. When I had my 2.0 Liter wheels, they'd stay polished longer than my 8 spokes or 5 spokes. I've always favored Mother's Polish and corn starch to remove the black tarnish. Which left my Fuchs with a mirror like finish. Blue Magic, Simichrome, Never-Dull, etc. I've tried 'em all and they work well.

~Sarge
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #129 on: October 21, 2008, 04:20:27 am »

The metal is pretty "tight" on a Flat Four and takes a long lasting shine very similar to a forged Fuchs wheel, so little polishing is needed.  I'm good for once a month on the outer rims with a little Never-Dull. 

COOL, Sarge. Thanks for the education on our wheels. Good to know, in case my clear coat ever dies away. If they're anything like the Fuchs metal, I'll be okay. When I had my 2.0 Liter wheels, they'd stay polished longer than my 8 spokes or 5 spokes. I've always favored Mother's Polish and corn starch to remove the black tarnish. Which left my Fuchs with a mirror like finish. Blue Magic, Simichrome, Never-Dull, etc. I've tried 'em all and they work well.

corn starch?

--louis

Louis Brooks

Sarge

« Reply #130 on: October 21, 2008, 04:30:53 am »

Yeah, it soaks up all the black stuff quicker then a plain rag.  Try it!

DKP III
Rennsurfer

« Reply #131 on: October 21, 2008, 05:01:54 am »

I know, Louis... it sounds stranger than fiction, but corn starch works in removing all of the tarnish from polishing raw metals. I was taught how to detail cars on our brand new '68 Savannah Beige Beetle from my Dad when I was six years old. After he got killed when I was 9.5 years young, I continued to detail cars. Mostly European ones. Along the path... I've learned, been taught, and have experimented with many methods to getting cars, boats, airplanes, and motorcycles looking better than new. I've never stopped cleaning cars and I never will, unless I'm not physically able.

All of that said, I really appreciate the Flat Four BRM wheels' finish. Makes life way easier. Sarge, going the other extreme; how does one remove the clear coat on said wheels? Just curious. I'm guessing paint stripper or something of the like.

~Sarge
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #132 on: October 21, 2008, 05:05:46 am »

I know, Louis... it sounds stranger than fiction, but corn starch works in removing all of the tarnish from polishing raw metals. I was taught how to detail cars on our brand new '68 Savannah Beige Beetle from my Dad when I was six years old. After he got killed when I was 9.5 years young, I continued to detail cars. Mostly European ones. Along the path... I've learned, been taught, and have experimented with many methods to getting cars, boats, airplanes, and motorcycles looking better than new. I've never stopped cleaning cars and I never will, unless I'm not physically able.

All of that said, I really appreciate the Flat Four BRM wheels' finish. Makes life way easier. Sarge, going the other extreme; how does one remove the clear coat on said wheels? Just curious. I'm guessing paint stripper or something of the like.

It would be cool to learn some of your other tricks some time. Maybe in another thread.

Thanks,

--louis

Louis Brooks

DeanoVW

« Reply #133 on: October 21, 2008, 21:51:23 pm »

I like those!
Can you give us any more information on how these were done please???

Thanks,

Dean.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2008, 21:56:45 pm by DeanoVW » Logged
Rune
SCC Crew

Screwdrivers #7

« Reply #134 on: October 21, 2008, 21:58:43 pm »

Thanks for the reply back and I am not going raceing and the repo wheels will be fine for my car.

You can make your repops look more original by having the clear coat striped and then polish the rims and spokes.  Adding 14mm lug studs and nuts plus a set of Fat Performance's re-done original center caps will add to the look.  A lot of "experts" are easily fooled... Wink 
look a like OG brms
those are mws brms with little job to do a real brm  Shocked Shocked

I like those!
Can you give us any more information on how these were done???

Thanks,

Dean.

Fabian, are those the wheels on Helges bay window camper?
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #135 on: October 22, 2008, 14:51:43 pm »

Thanks for the reply back and I am not going raceing and the repo wheels will be fine for my car.

You can make your repops look more original by having the clear coat striped and then polish the rims and spokes.  Adding 14mm lug studs and nuts plus a set of Fat Performance's re-done original center caps will add to the look.  A lot of "experts" are easily fooled... Wink 
look a like OG brms
those are mws brms with little job to do a real brm  Shocked Shocked

I like those!
Can you give us any more information on how these were done???

Thanks,

Dean.

Fabian, are those the wheels on Helges bay window camper?
no rune , that's the one on 65 redex (benoit germeau) brother of nicolas (muppet racer)

I like those!
Can you give us any more information on how these were done please???

Thanks,

Dean.

if i remember well they sandblasted the wheels , after that they broke the edges of the spokes , polish the wheels and after they doesn't need to polish any more the wheel , let her tarnish it
Apply a coat/layer of fine black gravel spray coat (don't know the right words)to the black parts  of the rim and with a nail(the head(big diameter)) stand out while the fresh anti gravel , the 5 points on the spokes (black circle on the pict)
hope that will help you

fabs

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
empicolector

EMPI RULES

« Reply #136 on: October 22, 2008, 15:19:52 pm »

nice work
DeanoVW

« Reply #137 on: October 22, 2008, 18:13:31 pm »

[/quote]

if i remember well they sandblasted the wheels , after that they broke the edges of the spokes , polish the wheels and after they doesn't need to polish any more the wheel , let her tarnish it
Apply a coat/layer of fine black gravel spray coat (don't know the right words)to the black parts  of the rim and with a nail(the head(big diameter)) stand out while the fresh anti gravel , the 5 points on the spokes (black circle on the pict)
hope that will help you

fabs
[/quote]

Thanks Fabs. Its alot of work, but I think they look great.   Grin
Donny B.

« Reply #138 on: October 22, 2008, 21:11:10 pm »

I think I get it now.  You make a set of fake BRMs look ratty so they will be perceived as real BRMs.  Is that it.  I guess I am missing something.  I have fake ones and at 30 mph nobody can tell...

Don Bulitta
Wolfsburg Registry
Bill Schwimmer
DKK

« Reply #139 on: October 22, 2008, 23:29:03 pm »

I think I will keep polishing my real BRM's so that I can fool the experts into thinking they are fake.

" don't buy upgrades    ride up grades"
    Eddy Merckx
bugnut68

« Reply #140 on: October 22, 2008, 23:31:42 pm »

I think I get it now.  You make a set of fake BRMs look ratty so they will be perceived as real BRMs.  Is that it.  I guess I am missing something.  I have fake ones and at 30 mph nobody can tell...

Making wheels look ratty?  Sounds kinda Hoodridey to me...Grin  Just kidding, just kidding!
Jim Ratto

« Reply #141 on: October 22, 2008, 23:42:13 pm »

I think I will keep polishing my real BRM's so that I can fool the experts into thinking they are fake.

yours are real?
Sarge

« Reply #142 on: October 22, 2008, 23:56:49 pm »

yours are real?

Shocked Shocked Shocked Roll Eyes Grin

DKP III
Donny B.

« Reply #143 on: October 23, 2008, 00:15:09 am »

Thanks Bill....

Don Bulitta
Wolfsburg Registry
Rennsurfer

« Reply #144 on: October 23, 2008, 01:02:41 am »

God... I love this place.

Grin

~Sarge
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #145 on: October 23, 2008, 03:41:31 am »

No foolin the fact that yours are real. I've never seen a set of BRMs shine like yours do Smiley

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Bill Schwimmer
DKK

« Reply #146 on: October 23, 2008, 04:18:55 am »

No foolin the fact that yours are real. I've never seen a set of BRMs shine like yours do Smiley
Thanks Zach

" don't buy upgrades    ride up grades"
    Eddy Merckx
SlingShot

« Reply #147 on: October 23, 2008, 04:51:00 am »

Who needs clean fingers anyway?

Will Race For Beer !!!
lawrence

« Reply #148 on: October 23, 2008, 05:44:31 am »

I love rubber gloves! Grin

Do original brms have those little circular impressions on the paint?

"Happiness is a Hot VW!"
WCB Hitler's Hot Rod

« Reply #149 on: October 23, 2008, 06:14:19 am »

Wasn't their a guy in England years ago that buried his REAL BRM's in the ground and left them there for sometime, just so that they would  look older! No shit!

WARNING! BE PREPARED FOR A ROLLING BLACKOUT.

West Coast Blitz... "Motha Sucka!"

You may have some Swag, but I OWN da Swagoo!!

This right here is my 'lil Nazi-killa!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: