The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 05, 2024, 17:55:21 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
351095 Posts in 28640 Topics by 6846 Members
Latest Member: JamesBoyd
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  What mufflers are you guys using ?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: What mufflers are you guys using ?  (Read 15714 times)
Rasser

« on: October 20, 2008, 19:46:22 pm »

I can´t find the proper muffler for my merged header Cry Cry Cry

I started out with a 2˝" Stainless muffler (A1 rennkaefer style). This muffler is a "straight through" muffler. It is really noisy inside the car when travelling more than 100km/h, and I would like to lower the noice.
Then I fitted a single quiet pack, and it lowered the noice inside the car to a comfortable level. BUT - the muffler doesn´t have the look that the polished one did  Cry

Any recommandations on muffler - I want an acceptable noice level, and a great looking muffler, but I am having trouble finding the right one.

Please tell me what you guys are running, and give me the pros/cons.

Thanks
Rasmus
« Last Edit: October 20, 2008, 20:40:56 pm by Rasser DK » Logged

For a good time, call:    1-800-Cal-look
1955 type1
1966 type2 13w deluxe
Rasser

« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2008, 21:09:40 pm »

Forgot to tell:

I have merged header, 1 o´clock flange (small style).

1955 type1
1966 type2 13w deluxe
nicolas

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2008, 21:20:40 pm »

can't beat dual quietpacks. i like the black ones, but ceramic coated works as well.
JS

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2008, 22:08:34 pm »

Rasmus, di you notice any lower performance when you tried the quiet pack muffler? What type was it?
I´m also running a 2 1/2" A1 muffler on a 1 5/8" merged header and totally agree about the noise level being too high when going fast on the highway!
Oh, and what engine do you have?

Signature.
team97
DKK

3M TA3

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2008, 22:10:16 pm »

1 3/4" A-1 Sidewinder exhaust with ss Magnaflow and custom outlet

Der Kleiner Panzers III
D.K.K.
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2008, 01:11:09 am »

I love that exhaust on Glenn's car. His is the inspiration for me going to A-1 Muffler and having Tiger building me this custom 1 5/8" sidewinder merged header. Then, he angled my Magnaflow stainless steel muffler 45 degrees on the passenger side, next to the 1 5/8" flanged heater boxes (also from Tiger). Finally, I told Tiger what I wanted for the exhaust tips and he took care of me.

I'm VERY happy with the overall look, performance, and quality. I've always wanted to somehow tuck a merged collector under a Type 1 body but use the factory cutouts on the rear valance (apron).

Excellent ground clearance, too! Which is one of the main things I was aiming for. Plus, I didn't want the same look as everyone else. By the way, the muffler that Tiger set me up with is GREAT! Very quiet and has multiple internal passes instead of a straight pass.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2008, 01:13:55 am by DKK_Fred » Logged

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2008, 01:52:27 am »

Looks great, Mark. Do you have to pull the mulffler to adjust the valves??

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Rennsurfer

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2008, 01:55:23 am »

Wait... I thought that all cars, now, no longer require valve adjustments. RATS!

Yes, Zach. That's the only drawback to my system. But it's the only drawback. I'm okay with it. I'm also the same person that doesn't mind adjusting points and ignition timing, as well. Part of owning an air-cooled car, in my opinion. To each their own, however.

~Sarge
DKK Ted
DKK

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2008, 02:16:45 am »

1 3/4" Low Down from A-1, All stainless muff.

VW Classic 2012
lawrence

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2008, 03:22:30 am »

I too am very pleased with the Magnaflow muffler that I got from A-1. When I was getting my sidewinder made I told Tiger that I wanted the quietest muffler for the 1-5/8s system. Now all I hear is IDAs

"Happiness is a Hot VW!"
Sarge

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2008, 03:37:07 am »

A1 / Magnaflow for me... I like it a lot, too.  When I got my set-up from Tiger, he furnished it with a round stainless muffler that was about a foot long and you could see through.... WAY too noisy.  The Magnaflow let's you hear the IDA's like Lawrence pointed out and if you add some Dynamat sound-deadner to the inside of your car, it becomes damn near pleasant  Cool

DKP III
Jason Foster

7.69 87mph 12.35 106 mph

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2008, 04:11:38 am »

Heres mine single chamber flowmaster Sarge loves it  Wink

and I don't need no stinkin dynamat.... it's too heavy Cool

STRENGTH THROUGH JOY...........

Der Kleiner Panzers
Sarge

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2008, 04:23:11 am »

Uh, Jason.... that juice can's not REALLY a muffler Roll Eyes  BTW, your car appears to be running a bit lean Shocked... I see a spot on there someplace, too! Wink Grin  As for the Dynomat, that stuff's in vogue now that Deano has it plastered all over his new project (Hot VW's November), so maybe you ought to step up!

DKP III
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2008, 05:07:23 am »

I wonder how much restriction you get with a magnaflow. How about a muffler shoot out. Rate both noise and power.

--louis

Louis Brooks

The Beatings Will Continue Until Moral Improves!
Hotrodvw

« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2008, 05:37:13 am »

Low-performance stuff here  Wink

I started with this

And modified it to this

Hose & Fittings

'67 Sunroof

www.ultimateaircooled.com
Rennsurfer

« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2008, 05:51:34 am »

LMAO @ "juice can" that's funny.

Sorry, Jason.

~Sarge
LuftsickTero

« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2008, 06:25:26 am »

1 3/4" A-1 Sidewinder exhaust with ss Magnaflow and custom outlet

I'm VERY happy with the overall look, performance, and quality. I've always wanted to somehow tuck a merged collector under a Type 1 body but use the factory cutouts on the rear valance (apron).

Nice, like they say in UK "that's the dogs danglies"!

As there have been some rumours about Sidewinder affecting the performance, how happy are you Glenn and Fred with the performance side of your exhaust?

| Cal&Resto | Publishing own mediocre Cal Look photos since 1995 in interwebs.
benssp

www.callookvw.com

« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2008, 10:03:39 am »

I use an Edelbrock muffler, custom made by a hot rod guy here in the uk! Grin

I've still got to trim the tailpipe

www.vwheritage.com  My Job
www.bernardnewbury.co.uk My Team
any work related enquiries to ben@vwheritage.com PM's about work will not be answered Cheesy

Bitburg Motor Boat Club Founder Member

YMCA
Rennsurfer

« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2008, 14:01:32 pm »

Nice, like they say in UK "that's the dogs danglies"!

As there have been some rumours about Sidewinder affecting the performance, how happy are you Glenn and Fred with the performance side of your exhaust?

Glenn could better answer that, because he's got a real engine. I still only have my 1500 or 1600cc (don't know what size it is... car was complete and stock when I bought it) with an .009 and 34mm Webers on single port heads. But the performance DID go way up when I installed the header. And that was the first thing I added to the engine. The carbs and distributor were added later. So far, I really like it. Can't wait to save up enough money to build a real power plant.

I can't imagine why a sidewinder would differ from a conventional header. Does anyone have dyno figures and facts to back this up? First time hearing of this. Either way, I don't care. Just curious.

~Sarge
Jason Foster

7.69 87mph 12.35 106 mph

« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2008, 14:13:32 pm »

Uh, Jason.... that juice can's not REALLY a muffler Roll Eyes  BTW, your car appears to be running a bit lean Shocked... I see a spot on there someplace, too! Wink Grin  As for the Dynomat, that stuff's in vogue now that Deano has it plastered all over his new project (Hot VW's November), so maybe you ought to step up!

"JUICE CAN" huh   (curly) Oh I see a WISE guy, why I oughta...  Thanks Sarge, it does have a nice gray tint to the tip nowadays from the "good stuff" that runs through it but that shot is actually from the buildup days and the engine hadn't been fired yet. Now where is that spot........
« Last Edit: October 21, 2008, 21:44:40 pm by Jason Foster » Logged

STRENGTH THROUGH JOY...........

Der Kleiner Panzers
Jim Ratto

« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2008, 16:31:52 pm »

I wonder how much restriction you get with a magnaflow. How about a muffler shoot out. Rate both noise and power.

--louis

The issue that dynoed the Blueprinting series Hot VW 2276 tested mufflers, I believe it was the Magnaflow vs The Super Turbo. The Magnaflow was the hp winner.
I remember Mark Herbert campaigning against the Magnaflows,  Grin calling them "dune buggy" mufflers.

I have to say, the rasp of my muffler can be a bit nerve wracking. It's an acquired taste. Not bad at idle and lower rpm, but put your foot down and your ears reach their pain threshold instantly. (Magnaflow)
But when the conditions are right, to me, my car has never sounded better than this current setup. Just don't ask my neighbors their opinion.  Roll Eyes
Rasser

« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2008, 17:43:34 pm »

--louis

The issue that dynoed the Blueprinting series Hot VW 2276 tested mufflers, I believe it was the Magnaflow vs The Super Turbo. The Magnaflow was the hp winner.
I remember Mark Herbert campaigning against the Magnaflows,  Grin calling them "dune buggy" mufflers.

I have to say, the rasp of my muffler can be a bit nerve wracking. It's an acquired taste. Not bad at idle and lower rpm, but put your foot down and your ears reach their pain threshold instantly. (Magnaflow)
But when the conditions are right, to me, my car has never sounded better than this current setup. Just don't ask my neighbors their opinion.  Roll Eyes

I ran a magnaflow muffler on my old 1914/w130 engine, and that thing was loud as hell. It was a straight  through muffler (you could see through the muffler). Is this the same muffler you guys are talking about when referring to magnaflow ?

I would like a muffler that has the cool stainless polished look, but I don´t want the "see through" muffler-type. I wan´t a muffler that is more silent than the "see through" types - what can you guys suggest me (small flange, merged, 1 o´clock).
It´s meant for a 1971ccm/Webcam 494/48 IDA engine/42-36 valves. But until that engine is finished, I will be using it temporarly on my 1600 engine.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2008, 18:32:41 pm by Rasser DK » Logged

1955 type1
1966 type2 13w deluxe
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2008, 18:33:53 pm »

Wait... I thought that all cars, now, no longer require valve adjustments. RATS!

Yes, Zach. That's the only drawback to my system. But it's the only drawback. I'm okay with it. I'm also the same person that doesn't mind adjusting points and ignition timing, as well. Part of owning an air-cooled car, in my opinion. To each their own, however.

For me, that's a deal breaker Undecided I don't mind checking the valves, as long as the only thing between them and I is a valve cover Wink I do like how those mufflers sound though- the extra pass back through the muffler seems to really make a difference in noise. Ground clearance has never been a big deal for me either, just be concious that the muffler is back there and you'll never scrape it.

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Rasser

« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2008, 18:34:58 pm »

Here are pictures of the mufflers I have right now:
2˝" Stainless "see through" muffler - LOUD (sorry for the "long distance" shot)
Single quiet pack muffler (bought together with a 1-3/8" merged header from CB performance)

I like the looks off the polished muffler, and the sound of the quiet pack (ok, maybe a bit more sound than the quiet pack - but something like that). Anyone know where I can get the best of both worlds ?
« Last Edit: October 21, 2008, 18:36:29 pm by Rasser DK » Logged

1955 type1
1966 type2 13w deluxe
Jim Ratto

« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2008, 18:36:38 pm »

Here are pictures of the mufflers I have right now:
2˝" Stainless "see through" muffler - LOUD (sorry for the "long distance" shot)
Single quiet pack muffler (bought together with a 1-3/8" merged header from CB performance)

I like the looks off the polished muffler, and the sound of the quiet pack (ok, maybe a bit more sound than the quiet pack - but something like that). Anyone know where I can get the best of both worlds ?

nice looking car.
Sarge

« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2008, 18:48:35 pm »

How about a Flowmaster?  Mason's got one on his lump and you can barely hear the exhaust at all  (j/k). Roll Eyes Grin

DKP III
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2008, 18:57:03 pm »

single T-bird

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
Peter

« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2008, 19:08:19 pm »

mine...
home made cost me next to nothing Smiley
but its loud Smiley
Peter

« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2008, 19:09:19 pm »

oh... its a purple horny
lawrence

« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2008, 19:12:05 pm »

Supposedly the sidewinder with magnaflow made more power than a standard merged exhaust with megaphone. I think this was in HVWs Huh

Rasser, the magnaflow that I have is not straight-through and it is quiet. If you tell Tiger what you are looking for im sure he can set you up with something that fits your need.

It is possible to adjust the valves with the muffler on. I have done it before, but it is easier with the muffler off.

"Happiness is a Hot VW!"
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: