The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 23:01:06 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350681 Posts in 28573 Topics by 6819 Members
Latest Member: Umanisti
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  What got you guys into cal look vws ?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: What got you guys into cal look vws ?  (Read 18638 times)
Sarge

« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2008, 15:27:14 pm »

I now donate money to Pete and Alex in exchange for going fast and looking good (well as good as I can)  Grin

Shocked Shocked Shocked Grin

DKP III
javabug

WHAT'S UP WID DA BOOM BOOM???

« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2008, 16:00:22 pm »

after floundering in the dunes for 20 years... something for which I will always be grateful. Kiss Wink

Street cars don't leave that gritty feeling in your teeth, either.

Mike H.

Sven was right.
alfie the monster

« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2008, 16:27:47 pm »

Shocked Shocked Shocked Grin

They've also been known to take money for 'other services' too  Shocked Shocked Shocked

JG54 Grunherz
Lee.C

I might be an Idiot but I'm not an Arsehole!

« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2008, 21:22:49 pm »

"A few years later I fell in with the wrong crowd"

I think there are quite a few of us who have been down that path  Roll Eyes Wink Its just funny how VW's & Cal Look always draw you back Smiley

You either "Get It" or you don't......
Worm
DKK

Whose stupid idea was that?

« Reply #34 on: November 04, 2008, 02:10:19 am »

My experience was similar to Jeff Hickens.  My older next door neighbor bought a former DKP car (Hulberts(?) sparkle brown oval w/BRM's) in 1976 or 77 and it was parked in the driveway every day at home.  So for my first car, instead of buying a primered 66 Ford Falcon pick up (almost did), I bought a 67 Fastback for $800 that had a runny bright red paint job.  At that time, I worked for Albertsons grocery store in Brea and this gal I worked with (Paula) said her boyfriend was the president of a VW club and I should show up to a meeting.  Her boyfriend was Bill McKinley the pres. of DKK.  After the first meeting in late 1978 I dont think I missed one for 3 or 4 years.  These guys were NUTS!  Almost all of em'.  Sneaking me underaged beers across the table and always throwing some of the most insane parties.  I loved all the rules.  How we were required to caravan (in line always and no lane change until the car in front is 1/2 across the line etc..) very classy, totally fun, I couldnt say no.  Of course the fastback was never voted in and it was traded by late 79 to Marty Cohen from AutoHaus for a beat up 56 that eventually earned the DKK stickers.
Looking back it was probably the DKP car next door that I was never allowed to even touch let alone ride in.  So, it was decided that I would build one of my own, and the DKK crowd I was with was an incredible influence on how it was done.. 
Worm

"Pretending to know everything closes the door on whats really there"
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #35 on: November 04, 2008, 02:18:24 am »

Right on, Worm! Great story.

Especially THIS part:

Sneaking me underaged beers across the table and always throwing some of the most insane parties.  I loved all the rules.  How we were required to caravan (in line always and no lane change until the car in front is 1/2 across the line etc..) very classy, totally fun, I couldnt say no.

More precisely, the caravan protocol. I always dug that about our club. Pretty classy for a bunch of young punks terrorizing the roadways of So Cal. I just wish someone was rich enough to have videoed our meetings/get togethers/events/shows/rallys/etc.

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
jhicken
DKK

« Reply #36 on: November 04, 2008, 02:49:14 am »

If you had video taped alot of that stuff, many of us would probably be in jail! Anyone remember the party Alex and I had at our house when we were forced to move? The LA County Sheriff's and their helicopter were our special guests, which gave Don [our other roommate] and myself a ride back to the pokey. That sure was a fun night.

-jeffrey
« Last Edit: November 04, 2008, 03:09:54 am by jhicken » Logged

Rennsurfer

« Reply #37 on: November 04, 2008, 03:00:55 am »

Good point, Jeffrey. Okay... I stand corrected, and will submit this; there would be no video footage available for public viewing in lieu of the recent observation(s). In regards to said observations, editing would whittle down the celluloid down to nothing. Hence these would be only be presented to club members.

Hey, I can dream.

~Sarge
Worm
DKK

Whose stupid idea was that?

« Reply #38 on: November 04, 2008, 03:21:45 am »

Right on, Worm! Great story.

Especially THIS part:

Sneaking me underaged beers across the table and always throwing some of the most insane parties.  I loved all the rules.  How we were required to caravan (in line always and no lane change until the car in front is 1/2 across the line etc..) very classy, totally fun, I couldnt say no.

More precisely, the caravan protocol. I always dug that about our club. Pretty classy for a bunch of young punks terrorizing the roadways of So Cal. I just wish someone was rich enough to have videoed our meetings/get togethers/events/shows/rallys/etc.

Hey, don't forget Mark ,that the caravan was ONLY for cars with voted in stickers on em'.  All other cars had to lag behind or find another lane.  We always ran the far right lane even on the freeway.  I just remembered one time driving south on the 57 freeway, one of the loonies (not in the line) drove past all of us at 80mph while sitting in the passenger seat with his arm resting out the window!  He had the tip of his left foot on the gas and was hiding his hand on the bottom of the steering wheel making it look like a ghost was driving.  Too funny.  I think that was same guy that at Hillcrest park one "wax party" day, started his car in 1st gear from OUTSIDE his vehicle.  Then while laying on the hood backwards he steered the car around the park with no one in it.....  Funny.

"Pretending to know everything closes the door on whats really there"
Rennsurfer

« Reply #39 on: November 04, 2008, 03:37:16 am »

HAHA!! Yep, I remember the sticker rules while we were in caravan mode. I was also one of the dorks that used to ghost drive my car, too. But I don't recall the guy laying on his hood and driving around the park. That's all-time! Wish I could've seen that in person.

Great memories... "wax parties." We'd end up at mostly Hillcrest or Craig Parks. Many days, I'd end up at El Dorado Park in Long Beach, near my house, with McNew and some of my non-club friends and their cars. GOOD TIMES and an awesome way to get young minds into the Cal Look spirit in those days.

~Sarge
fish

« Reply #40 on: November 04, 2008, 09:57:41 am »

I got hit by a white 69' with T-bars, literally, when I was 6. Rolled up on the bonnet and down again hitting the tarmac.

I later also found out that i could climb the front, run across the roof and then slide down the back on my a$$, until this time rolling off the back and copping a black eye in the process.

After all the pain suffered, I've been fascinated by them and now own a 69 cal-look with t-bars, stock 66 de-luxe, stock 56, stock 69 panel lo-light in rat-cal process.

stay safe

benito

Had a fight with a Magneto, it won!
Tim C

« Reply #41 on: November 04, 2008, 12:09:58 pm »

As a lot of people had, my parents had many Beetles when I was a kid, so always been around them.

But it was the 1994 VolksWorld magazine - issue with Schwimmer's 59 on the cover that did it for me, then seeing Ivan's 67 beat up the streets of Guildford on a regular basis.

I remember trying to follow/keep up with it once in my Polo - no chance! Who would have thought 13-4 years later I would get to drive it to Santa Pod! Happy Days!

JG54 Greenhearts
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: