The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:15:47 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350645 Posts in 28563 Topics by 6811 Members
Latest Member: Bren
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Top Racers lists
| | |-+  A list for those who drive their car to the race track and back
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: A list for those who drive their car to the race track and back  (Read 42784 times)
SOB/RFH

Have fun!!

« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2006, 15:46:04 pm »

Roman!! My point is that a street car can be driven to and from the track.....dependable power and over engineered to stand up to the power...............Endurance not ET:s only is the winner.........................So I guess that we are talking about diffrent aproaches!!!

Great Richie!!! I hope that we see more entrances to the real street list.......Real street cars rules!!!
Roman

« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2006, 19:03:55 pm »

So a 1776 with IDF:s that break the tranny is a race car? BTW, didn't your cam go flat? Does that make it a race car? How many times can a car break and still be a street car? Is once in a lifetime enough to be disqualified from the real street list?
The only thing I have done to my car since I started it up in May is valve adjustment and changed the clutch disc as the first I had was slipping. I drive my car on the street a couple of days a week and I even commute in it!
When I go to the race track I usually bring a couple of friends, tent, sleeping bags, pillows, extra cloting, gas etc and there is no room for it in my bug. Do I have to change it to a sqareback to be on a real street list?
SOB/RFH

Have fun!!

« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2006, 19:46:57 pm »

if the 1776 breaks, you need to change direction unless racing is a about loosin money and good parts........So, all in all.  No need to modify anything Roman.....Compromise!!! I think you are the man to build a car that qualifies.......just do!! Anyway.....it's not about winning or loosing.....It's all about having fun!!!

Yeah I lost the cam, to mouch spring pressure (race stuff)....bought in 93 after I lost a cam run in per the berg instructions(not the way to do it).........You know what I lost most....all the gasoline I have burnt over the years...............................on the street!!! Happiness is a Hot VW!!
Roman

« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2006, 20:31:05 pm »

I already have a car that quailifies, there is no need to build a new one.
I have offered you a match race after a 50 mile cruise, I have given you a one second head start. Since you have refused to race me, eiter your car is too slow or it isn't a real street car like mine.
There is no need for a second list, there is only 18 filled spots in the top 20 here and there is even more space on the cal-look.com top20. And you are right about one thing, it is all about having fun!
ESH

« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2006, 20:49:58 pm »

Ooh, get you two!  Grin

Street? 32psi on EEC approved tyres, none of that DOT nonsense, full tank of gas and hey, why not leave the spare tyre in? Cruising 80 on a stock four speed turning thirteens on three of them, 400 miles each way, 4 countries, maybe just 100 for the local track.  Maybe take a passenger too and luggage for 5 days?  Smiley

My take on a street car anyway.  Grin

Courtesy of Der Autobahn Scrapers
Roman

« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2006, 21:12:15 pm »

Now we are talking, that is a real driver! My car isn't practical to drive those long trips due to solid mounts, loud 3" muffler etc.
It isn't fun to drive my car on a long trip and I have it because I like to have fun!
SOB/RFH

Have fun!!

« Reply #36 on: December 10, 2006, 22:45:50 pm »

We are not allowed to have spare tires in the cars here in Sweden at sanctioned tracks.......Due to the pressure in this contest of who has done what and not I have to publicly admit that I have done quite a few mid 12 second passes with the spare tire in the car, and the jack too and extra gasoline in a "never stop"...............all due to a brain getting older and forgetting things!!

Roman. Our cars and situation in life differs. You have a red 59 and I have a blue 59.......I live in the south, you in the middle....You have fast car. I have car that was intended to be just  grocery getter. So my car is practical and comfortable, it don't rev to the moon when on the road, it is a nice car to take the kids for a swim in or just some flash back to my youth, racing it a few times a year.........To me it is travelling that is the adventure.....memories being made while coasting thrue the landscape absorbing the smells............Yeaah, the essens of a hobby!

If your point is that there is no need for a top list for cars being used on the street and not a camoflaged race car then make that statement. I like the accomplisment you have made and are about to make. Hatsoff to that and keep up the good work man!!!  I hope you like what I am trying to do on a limited budget and time schedule!
Lee.C

I might be an Idiot but I'm not an Arsehole!

« Reply #37 on: December 11, 2006, 00:02:44 am »

Ooh, get you two!  Grin

Street? 32psi on EEC approved tyres, none of that DOT nonsense, full tank of gas and hey, why not leave the spare tyre in? Cruising 80 on a stock four speed turning thirteens on three of them, 400 miles each way, 4 countries, maybe just 100 for the local track.  Maybe take a passenger too and luggage for 5 days?  Smiley

My take on a street car anyway.  Grin

Courtesy of Der Autobahn Scrapers

Now thats my idea of a true STREET CAR  Grin Grin Grin

You either "Get It" or you don't......
Roman

« Reply #38 on: December 11, 2006, 00:03:49 am »

My car wasn't built with the intention of driving long trips, it is a weekend warrior to harass the V8:s and jap crap down town.
It is built to be a street car, that could be raced and I do that occasionally (4 races this year).
There is no problem making long trips though, I just don't enjoy it. My engine is more or less a copy of JPM:s old engine and he drove it 5000 km per year with almost the same gearing. It is just a matter of what you think is fun.
ESH

« Reply #39 on: December 11, 2006, 10:37:53 am »

I guess there are many ways to skin a cat, just adding my 2 cents. Got to love a bit of diversity. What I get in ease of use and road mp/h I lack in the quarter and with the other cars on this thread it's possibly slightly biased the other way? Which of you guys would win on the quarter? Well, if you started 50 from the track and could run the quarter as soon as you arrive at the track then it would be me and I'd be at the bar whilst you still had 25.25 miles to go. If you actually have to start at the startline at the same time discounting the cruise there then I concede it would be one of you. This being the case I'll leave you where you were and check out of the thread. (Possibly) Cheesy
SOB/RFH

Have fun!!

« Reply #40 on: December 11, 2006, 19:35:34 pm »

I guess there are many ways to skin a cat, just adding my 2 cents. Got to love a bit of diversity. What I get in ease of use and road mp/h I lack in the quarter and with the other cars on this thread it's possibly slightly biased the other way? Which of you guys would win on the quarter? Well, if you started 50 from the track and could run the quarter as soon as you arrive at the track then it would be me and I'd be at the bar whilst you still had 25.25 miles to go. If you actually have to start at the startline at the same time discounting the cruise there then I concede it would be one of you. This being the case I'll leave you where you were and check out of the thread. (Possibly) Cheesy

Matt.......I would not be sure about you being there first...you would have to do at least 130 mph to fullfill that...........I would call my car a street car with a potential to back that claim up!!! By the way, why not put your submit up and hopefully we will end up with the worlds first real street top 20 list.....makig the race car guys envy!!!! How about that!!!!

Long live real street cars!!!!
ESH

« Reply #41 on: December 11, 2006, 23:22:43 pm »

Mme, 130 huh? I might not be able to do that all the way. Yeah I'd probably only be 12 miles or so ahead realistically.  Grin

That quarter though, you still have me. Need to find a 12 with no NOS and a GT box (would hate it to be easy) and though (in a Volkswagen) it's uncomfortable I still need a rear seat. I'll get back to you.  Smiley

But yeah, long live street cars!  Cool
Pump Gas

« Reply #42 on: December 12, 2006, 07:00:18 am »

Hi Guys

When we first ran Real Street all 4 competitors put in $100.00 a piece they ran on Pump Gas and Radial Tires
drove 320 miles to Las Vegas winner take all(The one with the lowest ET). The car that won was the biggest piece
of Oil Leaking Crap but he Won. I must say the best part about Real Street was the drive, That was alot of Fun!

Don't make excuses, Just do it, You don't know what your missing!

Have Fun
Mike H.

See You Next Year At The Bug-In Grin     

Real Street Cars Run On Pump Gas!
Roman

« Reply #43 on: December 12, 2006, 07:31:33 am »

Isn't that a problem? A car that wins after a 500 mile trip but needs an engine rebuild?
SOB/RFH

Have fun!!

« Reply #44 on: December 12, 2006, 17:57:32 pm »

Roman!!! You are the man!!!! You just hit the nail!!!! If you need to rebuild the engine after 500 miles.........you are runing a camouflage race car on the street.....no need to wreck that motor in that short time when you can do it at the track in an ever shorter time...So with compromise and skill you can actually make a car run on the street and still be fast!!! You can do it....just do it!!!

Happiness is a hot VW!!
Roman

« Reply #45 on: December 12, 2006, 18:58:18 pm »

Once again, it is my @ss and ears that would hurt after a long drive, not my car!
What's your point? You consider the engine/trans you built for Oscar a street engine/trans, right?
My combo is similar but I have slightly lower gearing (7% to be exact). That makes me 20 minutes after him on a 5 hour drive with the same rpm. Or the same time and maybe 2-300 rpm more.
Is it the 044 heads that won't do the job? Is it the IDA carbs? Is it the MSD 6 ignition?
SOB/RFH

Have fun!!

« Reply #46 on: December 12, 2006, 19:38:32 pm »

If we should include Oskars car making me talking about a car helped out with a target for arguments (and it has been) is ok for me but I don't know what Oskar thinks. Anyway, this oneis on me!! Oskars car is on the edge I would say.......gearing 3,78/2,06/1,32/0,93 and 4,375:1 R/P and 26" tires, you do the math............Oskar made the choice to drive it on the street.....I think he has only made about 10 runs down the track with a best of 12.35 in full street trim (DOT:s, fan belt, muffler, pump gas) and driven to the track and back (85 miles)..................So i guess he would qualify if he finds it interesting!! That car is very driveable as long as you stay below 4000 rpm (after that it's a bear) and short shifts. All in all a cool car. Here is a video (large)

http://v-dubs.no/jhu/movies/Slangen.avi

A clue to sucess would be: comfort....coosy motor mounts, soft spring rate, cushion in seats, interior without rattle........... I did the race car on the street and no comfort 15 years ago......I did learn my lesson and paid my compromises!!!

Happiness is a Hot VW!!

Roman

« Reply #47 on: December 12, 2006, 20:27:26 pm »

There is a different gearing on CLF: 4.375 - 3.78/2.06/1.48/1.14, that's why I assumed the 7%.

I have done 11.63 in full street trim, the rest like cusion seats, gearing etc is just about comfort, safety and cruise speed. It's not like it is going to blow up if I go 100 or even 1000 miles.
A close ratio tranny is a part of the Cal-look heritage!
richie

« Reply #48 on: December 12, 2006, 22:26:12 pm »

Just out of interest guys,are DOT tyres legal in Sweden? you mention them alot but the are not EEC approved so not legal here,cheers richie,uk

Cars are supposed to be driven, not just talked about!!!   

Good parts might be expensive but good advice is priceless Wink
Roman

« Reply #49 on: December 12, 2006, 22:40:09 pm »

The DOT means nothing. You need a minimum thread depth of 1.6 mm and a regular pattern.
ESH

« Reply #50 on: December 14, 2006, 16:49:02 pm »

...See You Next Year At The Bug-In...

Should be a good little get together... Cheesy
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: