The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 05, 2024, 15:39:43 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
351095 Posts in 28640 Topics by 6846 Members
Latest Member: JamesBoyd
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Yellow Bug on Dec. '08 Hot VWs cover...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Yellow Bug on Dec. '08 Hot VWs cover...  (Read 14833 times)
bugnut68

« on: November 05, 2008, 02:53:28 am »

I've gotta take issue with the owner's claims of that 1776 engine being a "13 second" engine, as quoted in the article.  The engine does have 48 IDAs, 10.5 compression, as per the tech box, but an Engle 110, 40x35.5mm heads which are semi hemi cut and all of which was supposedly built by some "legendary Portland drag racer."  As an Oregonian that's been around the scene awhile, I'd never heard of the guy who built the engine (Jimbo Barnett I believe the name was, or something similar).  The transmission is a rebuilt stocker from what I could tell by one of my least favorite Pacific Northwest VW people, Wally Gator Schmidt.

The car is obviously a complete trailer queen show car.  I saw it at Woodburn tilted up, wheels off and mirrors underneath, etc.  Not my cup of tea, but hey, the guy's proud of his project, that's cool.  I just have my doubts that the engine is, by any stretch a 13-second capable machine.  Did anybody else read that article? 

By no means is my post a slam on Hot VWs or the article's author, as they only report on what the owner tells them, but I am curious as to what other think.
Bewitched666

Bewitched

« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2008, 08:03:55 am »

I read it too and i think its either a misprint on the cam or a misprint on the seconds.Whit that cam and heads it would run in the 16's i guess.
But by no means its a nice car Cool

Liked the hawaiian turbo streeter too in the mag Cool

Fast vw beetle's rule
ian c

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2008, 08:09:36 am »

it jumped out at me when i first read the mag ....

not my thing , but i could appreciate the work that had gone into it .

i gave the mag away , and cant remember too much apart from it was "different" ....

did it have a "1 spoke" steering wheel , and reversed paint underneath (designed to be on mirrors )  ??

i spent half my money on beer , cars , and women .

the other half , i just wasted .

(o\ ! /o)
Sarge

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2008, 15:28:31 pm »

I thought the 13 second claim was a stretch, too.  Where's the family pic of it at the track?

DKP III
nlvtinman

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2008, 16:20:17 pm »

Performance questions aside, what's with the shiny grey seats? Looks like the clear covers I recall in my grandmothers '59 Rambler
Donny B.

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2008, 16:54:55 pm »

Now that care made me want to puke.  Sorry, I just thought it looked stupid.  It may have been well executed, but definitely not my style.

Don Bulitta
Wolfsburg Registry
bugnut68

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2008, 17:54:54 pm »

Performance questions aside, what's with the shiny grey seats? Looks like the clear covers I recall in my grandmothers '59 Rambler

I thought it was a pretty different look, not necessarily my cup of tea.  I think the seat upholstery is supposed to be similar to the old '50s style diner seats or something.

I'd be interested in knowing if any Oregon VW guys recognize the engine builder, because I don't ever remember seeing a VW racer by that name at any of the early 90s and late '80s Oregon VW events.

In all honesty, I'm not a huge fan of the over-the-top full customs, never really was; not even when they were in vogue back in the 80s and early 90s.
Jim Ratto

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2008, 17:57:39 pm »

anybody post a pic of this car?
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2008, 18:01:03 pm »

Ugly as sin. Does that shit really sell magazines? Features like that is why I haven't renewed my HotVW's subscription in years.
The Steve Tims article was nice though Smiley

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
deano

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2008, 18:19:02 pm »

Ya know.... we get hate mail for running too many Cal Look cars.... we get hate mail for note enough "different" styles, we get hate mail for too many "check book" cars, hate mail for too many vintage, not enough vintage, and on and on. Hard to please you guys.

Hot VWs Magazine Window Washer
Anglia Obsolete Guru
'67 Heaven
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2008, 18:23:11 pm »

Ya know.... we get hate mail for running too many Cal Look cars.... we get hate mail for note enough "different" styles, we get hate mail for too many "check book" cars, hate mail for too many vintage, not enough vintage, and on and on. Hard to please you guys.

I think "we" are relatively easy to please. It's everyone else that's the problem!!! Cheesy

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
bugnut68

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2008, 19:19:15 pm »

Deano, by no means was my post on this thread intended to be directed at you guys.  Check out the Samba's Off-Topic forum, I firmly stood up for the challenge you guys face in pleasing everyone each month  Wink

My comments are directed to the car's owner, as I have my doubts that the engine is a 13-second 1776.  It's most certainly faster than my Engle 100'd, stock valved, dual Kadron'd 1776, no doubt.  I know you guys probably face a lot of issues with owners "embellishing", and there are worse things that could be said, such as taking claim for other peoples' work and such.
deano

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2008, 20:54:28 pm »

Deano, by no means was my post on this thread intended to be directed at you guys.  Check out the Samba's Off-Topic forum, I firmly stood up for the challenge you guys face in pleasing everyone each month  Wink

My comments are directed to the car's owner, as I have my doubts that the engine is a 13-second 1776.  It's most certainly faster than my Engle 100'd, stock valved, dual Kadron'd 1776, no doubt.  I know you guys probably face a lot of issues with owners "embellishing", and there are worse things that could be said, such as taking claim for other peoples' work and such.

Yes, and thanks. I am aware of your support on the internet.

Hot VWs Magazine Window Washer
Anglia Obsolete Guru
'67 Heaven
nicolas

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2008, 21:39:38 pm »

as I have my doubts that the engine is a 13-second 1776. 

i get it!!!

it is measured on a american 1/4 mile. they all go downhill anyway  Shocked
Chris W

« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2008, 21:54:41 pm »

The car does not know what it wants to be when it grows up  Grin

Not my picture, but here it is.

Jim Ratto

« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2008, 21:58:25 pm »

oh dear.

Cry
streetvw

« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2008, 22:59:57 pm »

did a blind man fit the horn grills?  Shocked Grin Kiss
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2008, 00:38:53 am »

Did a blind man buy them? I hate those things...

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2008, 00:40:50 am »

It's hard to have a balance of enough content for a magazine to please all crowds. I know and can relate to that problem. I shoot/write for an international magazine. Tons of hate mail. But lots of positive input, as well. Obviously, a tough act to maintain. I've always been a fan of Hot VWs up until the mid '80s. Since then, I canceled my subscription and only buy the issues that I select.

But the car featured, below, is questionable. Too many sub-par details to point out but... it is what it is. At least it's not some ratted out, rusty, gaytina garbage that I see in so many of the VW mags, these days. So I suppose that it could be worse.

Sorry... just my worthless 2¢.

On a side note; Rayburn, now we know what a yellow Bug would look like in my kitchen.

Grin

Did a blind man buy them? I hate those things...

Amen, brother! I owe you a barley pop for THAT post.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2008, 00:42:24 am by DKK_Fred » Logged

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
javabug

WHAT'S UP WID DA BOOM BOOM???

« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2008, 01:16:46 am »

Cue the Grease soundtrack!   Lips Sealed

Mike H.

Sven was right.
Bryan67

« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2008, 05:13:40 am »

As ugly as I may think that car is, I`m sure there will be people praising it somewhere. So I guess you have to try to keep everyone happy. I would have much rather seen Bobbys Ghia on the cover though. And also, don`t you think that cancelling your subscriptions and only buying a few magazines a year is kind of foolish when you can buy a whole year for only $22.00?

If you`re going to do something, do it right.
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2008, 08:50:52 am »

And also, don`t you think that cancelling your subscriptions and only buying a few magazines a year is kind of foolish when you can buy a whole year for only $22.00?

Nope... not at all. I save more money this way 'cause I'm only gonna buy one or two issues a year. Besides, why should I buy something I'm not going to like or even read? That would be kind of foolish.

Grin

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
Jon
Administrator

12,3@174km/t at Gardermoen 2008

« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2008, 09:28:53 am »

I've gotta take issue with the owner's claims of that 1776 engine being a "13 second" engine, as quoted in the article.  The engine does have 48 IDAs, 10.5 compression, as per the tech box, but an Engle 110, 40x35.5mm heads which are semi hemi cut and all of which was supposedly built by some "legendary Portland drag racer."  As an Oregonian that's been around the scene awhile, I'd never heard of the guy who built the engine (Jimbo Barnett I believe the name was, or something similar).  The transmission is a rebuilt stocker from what I could tell by one of my least favorite Pacific Northwest VW people, Wally Gator Schmidt.

The car is obviously a complete trailer queen show car.  I saw it at Woodburn tilted up, wheels off and mirrors underneath, etc.  Not my cup of tea, but hey, the guy's proud of his project, that's cool.  I just have my doubts that the engine is, by any stretch a 13-second capable machine.  Did anybody else read that article? 

I don't have a clue as to the capabilityes of that perticular car, but I know that Marcus Krantz from Sweden is squeezing low 13 sec passes (13.26) out of a late sixies car without interior (700kg with driver).
The engine size is 69x82 and home ported stock heads with 35x32 valves with a 296° cam...  9.5 CR  48 Dellortos.
I'm not saying this yellow dandy could do it, but I don't think its impossible either.

http://

Grumpy old men have signatures like this.
vwxtc4free

« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2008, 14:16:47 pm »

At least it's not some ratted out, rusty, gaytina garbage that I see in so many of the VW mags, these days. So I suppose that it could be worse.

AMEN!!! I hate that mags pander to these sub par built cars. Not talking about daily drivers here .Just the hoodride CRAP that obviously no thought has been given to .

« Last Edit: November 06, 2008, 14:18:32 pm by vwxtc4free » Logged

Lanny Hussey

« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2008, 16:19:20 pm »

That car was at our GCVWs show this past summer. Not my cup of tea, BUT, it is different and the owners are really nice and enthusiastic. Aside from that horn grill.. Shocked it shows thousands of hours building it. I'm sure they are pretty happy about the nasty comments.. Sad

1967, the only year that matters.
bugnut68

« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2008, 17:41:51 pm »

That car was at our GCVWs show this past summer. Not my cup of tea, BUT, it is different and the owners are really nice and enthusiastic. Aside from that horn grill.. Shocked it shows thousands of hours building it. I'm sure they are pretty happy about the nasty comments.. Sad

I didn't even mean my comments as necessary derogatory or mean, but I just have my doubts on the 13-second capability.  I could be wrong, who knows?  There was another guy from Eugene about 15 years ago had a car featured in VW Trends.  It was a yellow '68 build in "Pro Street" style and, looking back 15 years later, it was so incredibly CHEESY.  It even featured "Pro Street" decal lettering in the quarter windows. Grin  Anyhoo, to get to my point, it had a Wik style one piece nose and a set of huge tires in the back, equipped with a 2180cc, Dellorto'd engine, as I recall, and the article stated that Mike's best ET had been an 11.97.  There were a lot of us in the local club splitting our sides over that one... hell, the car had never even been driven to a car show, let alone down a drag strip.
nicolas

« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2008, 19:28:07 pm »

i am very sorry to say this, but aside the bumper, grills, mirror and tires (all replaceable) this car looks good...  Undecided

OK it is yellow, but that isn't that ugly. it is maybe even a welcome change...

is it that wrong? i think it looks better then the all black car (except bumperbars) IMHO.

but i have a type3 so i guess my opinion doesn't count   Grin
bugnut68

« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2008, 20:37:40 pm »

I like some of the different touches applied to the car, in all honesty.  I have to give the guy props for putting the years and years and years of time in to finishing the car, even though it's not all my cup of tea (the steering wheel in particular isn't my scene).  The engine bay is very sanitary, as well, and those air cleaners are definitely different.  I like the car's build than, as said previously, any Hoodrides (there was one pathetic example at the Woodburn Bug Run show this year, which is where the pic in this thread was photographed) as well as a lot of VolksRods.  I like well-crafted VolksRods, but there are just too many piles that just look stupid (there was one of these at the Woodburn show as well, with a confederate flag painted on the roof--I hated it).

To sum up, I like anything thats' executed well. 
Jim Ratto

« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2008, 20:58:21 pm »

This whole thing gets back to my issue with cars that loose their "VW-ish" characteristics. To me a good "cal look" car is still very much a VW. Maybe with a whiff of Porsche added. To me any "good" car, cal-look, off road, race, VW or not ....whatever isn't about how much crap can be screwed to the car.
I think a good cal look VW follows in the shadow of the legendary 911R. Turn up the power, lose the frills, pare down the weight. Somewhere I have a picture of the 911R in a rear 3/4 shot, even though it's not a VW, the car oozes "cal look" from every pore.
VW's are cool cars. No reason to turn them into lakester, retro hot-rod Ameri-Geman freak hybrid crap. I dunno, maybe I'm alone in my opinion but a VW is a totally different thing from a greasy American hotrod thing. I like keeping the VW scene its own thing.
LuftsickTero

« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2008, 22:38:08 pm »

This whole thing gets back to my issue with cars that loose their "VW-ish" characteristics. To me a good "cal look" car is still very much a VW. Maybe with a whiff of Porsche added. To me any "good" car, cal-look, off road, race, VW or not ....whatever isn't about how much crap can be screwed to the car.
I think a good cal look VW follows in the shadow of the legendary 911R. Turn up the power, lose the frills, pare down the weight. Somewhere I have a picture of the 911R in a rear 3/4 shot, even though it's not a VW, the car oozes "cal look" from every pore.
VW's are cool cars. No reason to turn them into lakester, retro hot-rod Ameri-Geman freak hybrid crap. I dunno, maybe I'm alone in my opinion but a VW is a totally different thing from a greasy American hotrod thing. I like keeping the VW scene its own thing.

I think the same way, but perhaps see the Porsche-connection bit more loosely (being non-native English-speaker cannot put it any better).

A colleaque at work took once a look at my Oval and asked about the Gas Burners; "do you think that this is now Porsche with those wheels".. He was joking, but that made me think about getting center caps that don't have the Porsche logo if that is the message I give to outsiders.

Haven't yet received that issue, so based on that one photo the car looks okay to me. The details I don't like would be easily replacable, but then again it would look like any other Cal Looker Cheesy That colour coded sunroof is nice touch, BTW. The forums are so full of bullshit about horsepower statements and bogus advice (which is even worse) so I wouldn't be bothered about one magazine article.

I guess here is one topic that didn't do any good to anyone Wink
« Last Edit: November 06, 2008, 22:40:46 pm by LuftsickTero » Logged

| Cal&Resto | Publishing own mediocre Cal Look photos since 1995 in interwebs.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: