The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 10:19:39 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350688 Posts in 28576 Topics by 6822 Members
Latest Member: tpb_karl
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Pure racing
| | |-+  JPM head/TF1 case build and car mods for Hot rod drag week 2019 in Old cabrio
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 18 Print
Author Topic: JPM head/TF1 case build and car mods for Hot rod drag week 2019 in Old cabrio  (Read 249040 times)
Bad bug

« Reply #390 on: December 05, 2015, 22:45:31 pm »

Richie are we going to hear this engine run. Good choice on the case, i am thinking of buying one for my build.
richie

« Reply #391 on: December 06, 2015, 10:27:08 am »

Yes, well it does you will, I am now on a different continent to the engine so will be a while, there is quite a back order for cases so if you want one anytime soon you need to order it now

cheers Richie

Cars are supposed to be driven, not just talked about!!!   

Good parts might be expensive but good advice is priceless Wink
58vw

« Reply #392 on: December 14, 2015, 01:12:59 am »

looking awesome!

www.4inbore.com
Angleflows...order them now
Shag55

Shag Leone, SL-1racing

« Reply #393 on: December 29, 2015, 19:07:23 pm »

Coming along nicely Richie

325hp and 290# torque @17psi on 91 pump
383hp and 324# torque @23psi on 50/50 mix
Shag55.sl1racing@gmail.com
Facebook at SL 1 racing
Stripped66

« Reply #394 on: January 03, 2016, 22:03:56 pm »

If you put some serious street miles on this engine, keep an eye on the wear patterns on those lifters. The tall pushrod cup is a bonus for our otherwise long pushrods, but the increase in pushrod angle will reflect wear into the lifter and bore. If they are indeed Isky's, also check the clearance between the edge of the roller and the inside of the lifter bore. The rollers on my  RedZones wore grooves into the bore after 4K miles; my Pauters have been golden after 16K.
richie

« Reply #395 on: January 04, 2016, 10:38:22 am »

If you put some serious street miles on this engine, keep an eye on the wear patterns on those lifters. The tall pushrod cup is a bonus for our otherwise long pushrods, but the increase in pushrod angle will reflect wear into the lifter and bore. If they are indeed Isky's, also check the clearance between the edge of the roller and the inside of the lifter bore. The rollers on my  RedZones wore grooves into the bore after 4K miles; my Pauters have been golden after 16K.

Will do

Plan is to get a 1000 or so street miles on it and then take it apart and see how everything is doing so will check those areas carefully, haven't had any issues with my pauters in 4 years or so but not to many street miles, just hard track abuse but they look good still and no signs of wear, do you see any wear on the rollers themselves ?

cheers Richie

Stripped66

« Reply #396 on: January 04, 2016, 15:04:01 pm »

The rollers themselves looked great (both the Iskys and Pauters). On the Iskys, it appeared that either the bevel on the edge of the roller wheel was ground incorrectly, or there was too much sideplay.
richie

« Reply #397 on: March 10, 2016, 20:16:44 pm »

I got a little time on this so ordered some missing parts, 1st to arrive was a new turbo, the technology is moving so fast it made sense to get something more modern so I did Wink Just waiting on the header tubing to arrive so I can get on and make that

cheers Richie

dannyboy

« Reply #398 on: March 10, 2016, 20:41:14 pm »

Nice

8.77@156.8mph 
O/FF 60
andy198712

« Reply #399 on: March 10, 2016, 21:48:19 pm »

Looks like that thing will create black holes!
modnrod

Old School Volksies

« Reply #400 on: March 11, 2016, 01:48:02 am »

Hey Ritchie, what the hell is that JCB Fastrac down the road gonna do now you've pinched the poor blokes turbo?
 Grin
richie

« Reply #401 on: March 13, 2016, 02:25:03 am »

As I am now waiting on parts that were supposed to have arrived 10 days ago and the correct dry sump tank as they sent one that is to small I have been getting all the old stuff[header intake etc] stripped out and engine in for test fit and so I can start figuring where to place all the new stuff. All fits and room on oil pump which was an unknown till now Smiley

hotstreetvw

« Reply #402 on: March 13, 2016, 02:28:50 am »

Looks great Richie
richie

« Reply #403 on: March 18, 2016, 18:02:36 pm »

UPS truck just came Cool   all the stainless tube & bends arrived, still couple of things missing which sucks as that was what the supposed hold up was Roll Eyes  Still I can get on with most of it now Smiley

jamiep_jamiep

« Reply #404 on: March 21, 2016, 10:38:04 am »

Looking good Richie!

richie

« Reply #405 on: March 27, 2016, 06:07:30 am »

Finally got the collector yesterday a month late Roll Eyes so was able to make something out of all those tubes Wink   Will fit the wastegate next and make the actual exhaust, make the intake up from turbo to engine, then take it all off for final welding. Did some more engine tin fitment while I was waiting for the collector and got a few small things figured out, still plenty to do but getting there Smiley

cheers Richie

WhiteTrash

« Reply #406 on: March 27, 2016, 15:34:59 pm »

I like the look of that leaned out version of the cab  Cool

HOFF#67

Lotus White '67's are the best!!!
Airspeed

« Reply #407 on: March 27, 2016, 16:39:00 pm »

I like it that you seem to have made a considerable effort to make an equal length system.
Most VW tuners don't seem to believe that makes a difference in spool and power. I do  Wink

"...these cars were preferred by the racers because the strut front suspension results in far superior handling than the regular torsion bar front end..."  - Keith Seume.
10.58 @ 130 mph (2/9/2022 Santa Pod)
mr horsepower

« Reply #408 on: March 27, 2016, 16:51:12 pm »

It wil sure have a better effect on spooling
But as i have to make one for my car
The problem is the  space needed for this header
You need space some of us dont have that .
Btw looks good so far
I guess it will perform good

Gr
BeetleBug

Snabba grabben...

« Reply #409 on: March 27, 2016, 17:33:58 pm »

500-700 rpms earlier spool depending on the AR and the turbo itself. I would be a lot more worried about the T-section but HEY that's me. After all we are only talking about back pressure. Right Mr Airspeed? (very fitting nickname btw👍)

-BB-

10.41 - 100ci - 1641ccm - 400hp
Airspeed

« Reply #410 on: March 27, 2016, 17:36:29 pm »

Cool
Cheers BB!

"...these cars were preferred by the racers because the strut front suspension results in far superior handling than the regular torsion bar front end..."  - Keith Seume.
10.58 @ 130 mph (2/9/2022 Santa Pod)
richie

« Reply #411 on: March 27, 2016, 17:59:47 pm »

I would be a lot more worried about the T-section but HEY that's me.

-BB-

Don't worry about that, version 33 is in my head already & parts ordered, was just going to use that to get it running now if I could but out of time this trip, and it did make 570hp to the wheels with that fitted so cant be all bad Wink 

richie

« Reply #412 on: March 27, 2016, 18:01:23 pm »

I like it that you seem to have made a considerable effort to make an equal length system.
Most VW tuners don't seem to believe that makes a difference in spool and power. I do  Wink

Thanks Smiley  Trying to do it best I can, only downside is they end up quite long and may loose some heat from it, that's one reason I did it in stainless tube

cheers Richie

richie

« Reply #413 on: March 27, 2016, 18:04:31 pm »

The problem is the  space needed for this header
You need space some of us dont have that .

Gr

With a stock firewall and package tray it would be impossible to do with turbo placement I wanted[ far forward opposite side to driver] but you can get pretty close if you run smallish turbo at back of car

Btw looks good so far

I guess it will perform good

Gr

Hope so Grin

cheers Richie

richie

« Reply #414 on: March 27, 2016, 18:05:34 pm »

I like the look of that leaned out version of the cab  Cool

Like to think every version is better than the last Shocked  Wont know till I try it though

cheers Richie

andy198712

« Reply #415 on: March 27, 2016, 18:39:41 pm »

I would be a lot more worried about the T-section but HEY that's me.

-BB-

Don't worry about that, version 33 is in my head already & parts ordered, was just going to use that to get it running now if I could but out of time this trip, and it did make 570hp to the wheels with that fitted so cant be all bad Wink 

Holy crap!!  Roll Eyes
richie

« Reply #416 on: November 07, 2016, 16:50:07 pm »

Its alive Shocked Grin Cool   

A year on from this 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVtjQQcIoFg

and it is ready to go again with its new combo Smiley  Will do some tuning this week then if its all ok take it to track next week

cheers Richie

leec

« Reply #417 on: November 07, 2016, 17:55:34 pm »

Hi Richie,
When you ran the 8, am I right in thinking that was with a 2387cc motor?
If so I can't wait to see what the big motor does Smiley
spanners

« Reply #418 on: November 07, 2016, 21:58:14 pm »

A simple tee manifold does wonders for turbos, what actually goes on? They work great with blow through carb and some quote great atomisation, but then again they still work well with port injection, and I'm not sold on equal header length either, OEMs still prefer neat packaging over spaghetti primary's, tho variable vane helps road cars, but more to go wrong on a racer, can't remember seeing any serious cars with it, and many current big name Rallycross motors go for the shortest possible primary for maximum energy to the turbine, again anti lag may need factoring in, I have gone equal length and still had to drive round lag, my next one will use the shortest p/pipes possible.

Best regards, spanners.
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #419 on: November 08, 2016, 00:43:48 am »

A simple tee manifold does wonders for turbos, what actually goes on? They work great with blow through carb and some quote great atomisation, but then again they still work well with port injection, and I'm not sold on equal header length either, OEMs still prefer neat packaging over spaghetti primary's, tho variable vane helps road cars, but more to go wrong on a racer, can't remember seeing any serious cars with it, and many current big name Rallycross motors go for the shortest possible primary for maximum energy to the turbine, again anti lag may need factoring in, I have gone equal length and still had to drive round lag, my next one will use the shortest p/pipes possible.

I have noticed that equal length does sound a LOT smoother, but I'm sure shorter is better in this application.

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 18 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: