The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 17:45:09 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350645 Posts in 28563 Topics by 6811 Members
Latest Member: Bren
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Pure racing
| | |-+  JPM head/TF1 case build and car mods for Hot rod drag week 2019 in Old cabrio
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 18 Print
Author Topic: JPM head/TF1 case build and car mods for Hot rod drag week 2019 in Old cabrio  (Read 246208 times)
richie

« on: December 18, 2008, 21:21:59 pm »

As i had quite a few people ask what i was doing next when i sold the engine from my cabrio I thought i would do a build up of what will be the next engine for it,so here it is so far:

This is going to be the new engine for my cabrio,its a CB case ordered with no stud holes which was then welded on number 2 cylinder,machined and the head stud holes drilled,taped and case savers for 10mm studs fitted by Jeff denham at 4inchbore.com

It has a scat 86mm pro comp crank wedgemated at DK machine with all t4 mains,and chevy journal pauter rods.
An engle cam that I had them grind for me with Scat light lifters.

101.6 wiseco pistons with a 12cc dish thanks to Doug at bergs in regular finned cylinders,
then JPM heads that johannes ported and modified he chambers for 49/39.5 11/32 stem valves with pauter 1.5/1 roller tip rockers,I will run Jaycee push rods&tubes.

I have had the short motor together once but changed my mind on a couple of things so it is apart again,as soon as I have everything back I will re assemble it and see what difference it makes over the old 2332 I ran for the last few years.

cheers richie,uk
« Last Edit: March 28, 2019, 17:26:32 pm by richie » Logged

Cars are supposed to be driven, not just talked about!!!   

Good parts might be expensive but good advice is priceless Wink
tikimadness

« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2008, 21:37:33 pm »

nice to let us see what kind of engine you drive.

Michael

member of team YAC ; the guys who write history.

GASSER GARAGE  a few friends creating history.

NIDGAFWYT
Lids

show me the chedder

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2008, 21:56:59 pm »

I still covert your heads.  I look forward to seeing it on the track in the near future.

If there's enough horse shit around, there must be a pony!
Buy your ciderberry here.

http://www.thatcherscider.co.uk/
ESH

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2008, 22:07:10 pm »

... I will re assemble it and see what difference it makes over the old 2332 I ran for the last few years ...

I'd say 7, maybe 10bhp more maybe?  Smiley
andy M.

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2008, 22:35:10 pm »

86x101.6 makes 2.8 litre, wow, it's bound to be quick, my mates brother had a 2.8 capri back in the day and that was dead fast Grin

andy

L.B.C.R.
Roman

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2008, 23:04:37 pm »

So you are finally joining the 2789 club!
What cylinders are you using? They look like Autocraft, are they availible again?

I had AA performance 2 years ago, but they were far from round and a bit thin.
I will buy new ones in a couple of weeks and I think I will go for Pauter.

Cheers!
Roman
Steve D.

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2008, 02:14:24 am »

Nice looking stack of parts- I might just have to borrow that ring compressor.  Grin

Über Alles

5 tracks, 5 days, 1000+ miles.
10.77 avg. on pump fuel.
238I
Lee.C

I might be an Idiot but I'm not an Arsehole!

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2008, 02:32:24 am »

Looking good dude - should be interesting - Those heads are SICK Grin

You either "Get It" or you don't......
Marty

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2008, 06:51:12 am »

VERY nice!
Martin

Cash Converter....

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2008, 09:12:36 am »

going to be interesting, looking forward to see how it performs. I'd also like to see how the angle flow heads peform with this combo.

keep up the good work and thanks for sharing

Martin

Martin

9 sec street car, its just simply not fast enough

Swing axle to CV convertion is on the website now

www.taylormachine.co.uk

OFF/500
Jon
Administrator

12,3@174km/t at Gardermoen 2008

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2008, 09:23:23 am »

Never seen a set of JPM with that size of the holes... Shocked How much more that the stock 240 cfm do they flow?
And can I see the business end to please?  Smiley

Grumpy old men have signatures like this.
Prowagen

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2008, 14:05:47 pm »

I can't wait to see this new beat on the track!

But Wait!?
As i had quite a few people ask what i was doing next when i sold the engine from my cabrio

Did I miss something have you sold the old motor since coming being in the states?
richie

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2008, 18:21:11 pm »

going to be interesting, looking forward to see how it performs. I'd also like to see how the angle flow heads peform with this combo.

keep up the good work and thanks for sharing

Martin

Got them here[new casting angleflows] to try as a direct comparission when jeff has finished doing his development set he will do his stuff to mine,will try to keep valves sizes etc the same

cheers richie,uk

richie

« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2008, 18:22:18 pm »

I can't wait to see this new beat on the track!

But Wait!?
As i had quite a few people ask what i was doing next when i sold the engine from my cabrio

Did I miss something have you sold the old motor since coming being in the states?

Yep,although its still here on the shelf it has a new owner Smiley

cheers richie,uk

richie

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2008, 19:22:31 pm »

Never seen a set of JPM with that size of the holes... Shocked How much more that the stock 240 cfm do they flow?
And can I see the business end to please?  Smiley

Jon, I do have the flow figures somewhere but i will check with Johannes before i put them up Wink 
As requested some more revealing pics of the heads

cheers richie,uk

richie

« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2008, 19:28:09 pm »

Going to use these new style bugpack head studs with the fine thread on the head end
 and I will set the case up to delete the oil relief plungers and run this Scat pressure relief filter head
with a return to the sump which should help give more consistent oil pressure
and in theory keep the oil cooler

cheers richie,uk

K-Roc

« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2008, 02:56:25 am »

Wow nice Richie what a fun winter project! heads look killer, Any reason why you went with nail head valves?

Regards,   K-Roc,
richie

« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2008, 03:52:12 am »

Wow nice Richie what a fun winter project! heads look killer, Any reason why you went with nail head valves?

Regards,   K-Roc,

Hi darren,thanks
well your technical term lost me Embarrassed Cheesy  so you will have to elaborate more?

cheers richie,uk

Frallan

« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2008, 07:27:43 am »

Did Johannes start doing steel seats, did you ask specifically for steel or is it just me who see wrong?

Bruce

« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2008, 09:14:29 am »

Regards,   K-Roc,

Hi darren,thanks
well your technical term lost me Embarrassed Cheesy  so you will have to elaborate more?

cheers richie,uk
Richie, in this pic:

http://cal-look.no/lounge/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=7568.0;attach=24286;image

the face of the valve in the chambers is dead flat.  That's a nail head valve.  Traditionally, a dished head is used in VWs.
Griebel

« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2008, 15:41:32 pm »

"Traditionally, a dished head is used in VWs."  Huh

Traditionally, when "people" talk about nailhead valves, they are referring to the size ( or lack of )...I think ?

Cheers  Smiley

Instagram: c.griebel
http://www.griebel.blogspot.com
       "BEYOND 4 INCHES"
          MIB,DENMARK
bang

« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2008, 17:39:23 pm »

welcome in the jpm 4" head club  Tongue

looking good. why not use jpms 5 bolt rockers?

big bang racing
denmark
Airspeed

« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2008, 17:52:41 pm »

I think a dished valve head (bottom) is what he meant. It saves some weight on the valve itselve and should not really weaken it.

I also thought about the 5-stud, but with the wider Pauter rockers, that option was probably out of the question.

Richie, what does the cabrio weigh at the drags?

Tnx,
Walter

"...these cars were preferred by the racers because the strut front suspension results in far superior handling than the regular torsion bar front end..."  - Keith Seume.
10.58 @ 130 mph (2/9/2022 Santa Pod)
K-Roc

« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2008, 19:25:46 pm »

Traditionally, when "people" talk about nailhead valves, they are referring to the size ( or lack of )...I think ?

Cheers  Smiley

Hi In the case of an old Buick "Nailhead" it had small valves installed vertically that's where the term come from,  some folks today (including myself) call the style of valve that is dead flat on the face a Nail head ( like the head of a nail )  and the valves we typically see as a dished head,  The "Nail Head" style are usually a tiny bit heavier and because of thier shape and also have different flow Characterisitics because the back angle shape is usually different than a "Dished" Valve.  JPM probably put that style of valve in for a reason and I was just wondering if ya knew why.

Cheers man.
richie

« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2008, 20:11:34 pm »

Cheers  Smiley

Hi In the case of an old Buick "Nailhead" it had small valves installed vertically that's where the term come from,  some folks today (including myself) call the style of valve that is dead flat on the face a Nail head ( like the head of a nail )  and the valves we typically see as a dished head,  The "Nail Head" style are usually a tiny bit heavier and because of thier shape and also have different flow Characterisitics because the back angle shape is usually different than a "Dished" Valve.  JPM probably put that style of valve in for a reason and I was just wondering if ya knew why.

Cheers man.
  there Ti Wink  does that make a difference? Smiley

cheers richie,uk

richie

« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2008, 20:13:32 pm »

welcome in the jpm 4" head club  Tongue

looking good. why not use jpms 5 bolt rockers?

big bang racing
denmark

At this stage,money,I will measure the deflection of the rocker shaft when its all together and see from there,proberly later on I will go to the 5 stud mounting system if its needed

cheers richie,uk

richie

« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2008, 20:14:23 pm »

I think a dished valve head (bottom) is what he meant. It saves some weight on the valve itselve and should not really weaken it.

I also thought about the 5-stud, but with the wider Pauter rockers, that option was probably out of the question.

Richie, what does the cabrio weigh at the drags?

Tnx,
Walter

2060lbs weighed at vegas

cheers richie

richie

« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2008, 20:18:32 pm »

picked up these 6inch pauter rods yesterday which i will now use,wanted to try a longer rod ratio to see if it makes any noticable difference so have 5.6s as well,
also this is the turbo I will be using,its a Turbonetics t72

cheers richie,uk

Martin Greaves

10.88@128.58

« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2008, 20:24:22 pm »

No Richie you don't need to use the 5.6 rod all you need to do is give them to me for my motor. Kiss Grin

Hahaha your killing me.........
John Maher

« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2008, 22:42:06 pm »

Regards,   K-Roc,

Hi darren,thanks

cheers richie,uk

Hi Richie and K-Roc

My understanding is the terms 'nailhead' and 'tulip' are used to describe the shape on the back of the head of the valve rather than the chamber side... 'tulip' has a much larger and gentler radius from valve seat face (45deg) to valve stem than seen on 'nailhead' valves.

Tulip shape most easily seen in the valve at far left and 3rd left....

'Nailhead' valve is what most of us are used to seeing... it's more of a 'penny on a stick' design and doesn't have such a large radius on the back of the head.
2nd from right is nailhead style

Well at least that's how I differentiate between 'tulip' and 'nailhead'  Wink

It's not common to see the tulip shape on a stainless valve because of the extra weight (at least I've never seen one!).
Normally only seen on lightweight titanium exhaust valves.

That extra mass on the back of the valve can actually improve flow of the exhaust port by better streamlining flow past the valve head.
Flow tends to improve when the exit side tapers gently (teardrop).
Plus you can afford a little extra weight on the smaller diameter valve anyway - it'll still come in lighter than a nailhead inlet.

The chamber side of the valve head being totally flat improves wet flow charactersistics in the combustion chamber i.e. you achieve a more consistent air/fuel ratio throughout the chamber.
Again this flat face is more likely on titanium valves because of the extra weight compared to the more common concave design seen on stainless valves (done to reduce weight).

Wet flow tests often show up mini 'cyclones' in and around those concave areas, resulting in fuel puddling and therefore inconsistent fuel distribution in the chamber.

Without the luxury of wetflow test equipment, post-combustion analysis (remove head or poke borescope through plug hole) will reveal tell-tale signs of unequal air/fuel distribution in the chamber area... if that's what you've got you'll see clean areas on the piston crown and head after you've run the engine - proof positive something was causing fuel to fall out of suspension in one or more places once it entered the chamber. Equal distribution across the the whole area equals more power at the flywheel.

Lambda sensor gives average AFR... could be seriously lean in some areas and overly rich in others... giving same AFR reading as an engine running equal distribution in the chamber. Guess which one makes more power?   Wink

IMO best combination is tulip exhaust and nailhead inlet, both with totally flat faces on chamber side.
I haven't flow tested an Angle Flow head (yet!) but I'd take a guess the tulip exhaust may be more of an advantage in the AF than a conventional exhaust port due to the less severe turn flow has to make after exiting past the valve head, making for better velocity distribution across the port (more flow). Could be completely wrong though - wouldn't be the first time  Cheesy

« Last Edit: December 21, 2008, 22:48:27 pm by John Maher » Logged

John Maher

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 18 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: