The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 16:57:18 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350645 Posts in 28563 Topics by 6811 Members
Latest Member: Bren
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Pure racing
| | |-+  JPM head/TF1 case build and car mods for Hot rod drag week 2019 in Old cabrio
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 Print
Author Topic: JPM head/TF1 case build and car mods for Hot rod drag week 2019 in Old cabrio  (Read 246205 times)
nicolas

« Reply #450 on: March 11, 2017, 08:49:13 am »

i am only going to say this because i know you are a 'function before looks'- guy  Grin

have you thought about a serpentine belt with tensioner and 2 pulleys for the fan… swapping that is easy and you don't need several belts and setups. maybe even make one that is reversible with one big end and one small side. it can be done with a tensioner.
richie

« Reply #451 on: March 11, 2017, 15:09:09 pm »

i am only going to say this because i know you are a 'function before looks'- guy  Grin

have you thought about a serpentine belt with tensioner and 2 pulleys for the fan… swapping that is easy and you don't need several belts and setups. maybe even make one that is reversible with one big end and one small side. it can be done with a tensioner.

Who does a set up like that for dry sump & type 1 alternator fitting?

Cars are supposed to be driven, not just talked about!!!   

Good parts might be expensive but good advice is priceless Wink
Airspeed

« Reply #452 on: March 11, 2017, 15:50:08 pm »

VWspeedshop?

http://vwspeedshop.com/product.php?productid=16838&cat=485&page=1

"...these cars were preferred by the racers because the strut front suspension results in far superior handling than the regular torsion bar front end..."  - Keith Seume.
10.58 @ 130 mph (2/9/2022 Santa Pod)
richie

« Reply #453 on: March 11, 2017, 17:26:02 pm »

That is to cool Mr Webb.
Hats off.

Venturi ring helps my engine about 5 degrees celcius on hours of highway cruising, for your info.
It is a ten minute pop rivet or spotweld job.

Have fun.

Thanks Eddie, real world feedback is always good Cool The claims on the webpage seem at little exagerated Wink I ordered one on thursday to try it anyway and see if it helps at all

cheers Richie

richie

« Reply #454 on: March 11, 2017, 17:47:10 pm »

I think that bottom pulley is to big to fit with a pauter pump, but have asked someone I know with one to measure it, it needs to be smaller than 120mm diameter ideally

nicolas

« Reply #455 on: March 11, 2017, 17:52:52 pm »

VWspeedshop?

http://vwspeedshop.com/product.php?productid=16838&cat=485&page=1

that looks like a decent setup at a decent price.
 i was also thinking of a pulley in two parts like the original, but with different angles on the sides (front and backside). that way you turn them around and have the belt lay deeper then normal, but you'd need two belts and still the shims… not sure if this an option as the nut sits on the inside (short shaft). but it maybe could be made with some thouht put into it.

anyway good to see this topic back on top of my reading list.  Grin
nicolas

« Reply #456 on: March 11, 2017, 17:54:09 pm »

I think that bottom pulley is to big to fit with a pauter pump, but have asked someone I know with one to measure it, it needs to be smaller than 120mm diameter ideally

pulley's can be machined  Tongue
richie

« Reply #457 on: March 11, 2017, 18:02:59 pm »

pulley's can be machined  Tongue

Yes but my time is very limited here so its got to be done now, not wait months for a machinist to get round to doing it Shocked Cheesy

modnrod

Old School Volksies

« Reply #458 on: March 12, 2017, 01:21:51 am »

If it gets too hot on the cruise section while towing Ritchie, then it might be time to get the "bush mechanic" repair skills a thought.

I've sometimes rigged up a windscreen washer bottle to feed a patio mister (or really fine-spray irrigation mister) into the cooling fan intake.
Knocks HEAPS of temp off as a last resort.........

Pssst! Don't tell anyone........     Wink
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #459 on: March 12, 2017, 02:40:19 am »

^^^^ That's actually a pretty brilliant solution for this application.

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Airspeed

« Reply #460 on: March 12, 2017, 11:37:42 am »

If it gets too hot on the cruise section while towing Ritchie, then it might be time to get the "bush mechanic" repair skills a thought.

I've sometimes rigged up a windscreen washer bottle to feed a patio mister (or really fine-spray irrigation mister) into the cooling fan intake.

but that would make it watercooled and would defy the whole thing he is trying to prove here!!  Shocked  Cheesy

"...these cars were preferred by the racers because the strut front suspension results in far superior handling than the regular torsion bar front end..."  - Keith Seume.
Neil Davies

« Reply #461 on: March 12, 2017, 20:44:20 pm »

Pssst! Don't tell anyone........     Wink

Serious question - does it create steam? I'm guessing the quantity of water isn't that great but it's got to go somewhere!

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
modnrod

Old School Volksies

« Reply #462 on: March 13, 2017, 00:21:56 am »

I first used it in a Square in the tropics, and it still worked well there even with the humidity.
It was suggested to me by an old bloke to reduce temps just before they spiked hard and you had to stop, there were lots of old Volksies around there back then.
Dunno about steam, I never noticed any. I used it on Beetles that were already really hot and pulled over, and didn't notice any steam rising up there either.
I guess it's possible I spose, I've never thought about it for long coz you use so little water for such a short time that I didn't think it was an issue.

ACVW equivalent of taking a hot car thru a carwash..........
(Roadkill Jag episode! Hahahaha!)
richie

« Reply #463 on: March 13, 2017, 03:10:07 am »

I tried something like this years ago, running air to water intercooler and figured out as I needed to empty it after a pass anyway why not before I got to pits, so had a small screen washer pump hooked up to water tank, then same principle with a jet aimed at fan in shroud and turned it on once on return road driving back to pits, not sure how much it cooled and didn't empty the thank enough so stopped doing it after a few goes

modnrod

Old School Volksies

« Reply #464 on: March 13, 2017, 05:43:15 am »

Looking forward to watching this year even more now.  Smiley
Have fun out there.
Berger

www.bugrent.no

« Reply #465 on: March 13, 2017, 07:41:26 am »

A big oil cooler with a electric fan, mounted in a good spot is what I would add to keep the temp down. Not sure what oil cooler you got on this car..?

This is my simple religion:
-Be cool
-Don't be an asshole
Airspeed

« Reply #466 on: March 13, 2017, 07:48:25 am »

All this cooling talk... What turbo do you have on the streetlegal cab?  Grin

richie

« Reply #467 on: March 13, 2017, 16:50:47 pm »

A special one Wink

richie

« Reply #468 on: March 13, 2017, 16:53:29 pm »

A big oil cooler with a electric fan, mounted in a good spot is what I would add to keep the temp down. Not sure what oil cooler you got on this car..?

It will have 2, at moment it has one "medium size" one but its a lot easier to add a 2nd one with the packaging issues I have with turbo/header etc in way. Just waiting on some fittings to arrive and will plumb it in  Smiley

cheers Richie

Airspeed

« Reply #469 on: March 13, 2017, 20:03:51 pm »

A special one Wink
Ahhh, come on! A little info then? What brand? How much lbs flow?  Wink

richie

« Reply #470 on: March 13, 2017, 21:13:13 pm »

A special one Wink
Ahhh, come on! A little info then? What brand? How much lbs flow?  Wink

Cheesy  Started as a Garrett, but its all custom, based on t4 housing, from memory think its 67mm billet wheel, flowed cover, billet backing plate,ceramic bearing center, V band In & out etc etc.

Airspeed

« Reply #471 on: March 13, 2017, 22:20:50 pm »

Ah! a precision ~900hp capable turbo! Very nice! Not sure if you need that much hp, but it'll do fine I'am sure  Grin

richie

« Reply #472 on: March 13, 2017, 22:51:55 pm »

Ah! a precision ~900hp capable turbo! Very nice! Not sure if you need that much hp, but it'll do fine I'am sure  Grin

It was ordered to leave a little room for the new engine I am doing that might be going in a Green LSR car Shocked Wink

Airspeed

« Reply #473 on: March 13, 2017, 22:58:51 pm »

It was ordered to leave a little room for the new engine I am doing that might be going in a Green LSR car Shocked Wink

Now that would be s/th! We need to talk when you get back from Drag week 4 sure!  Smiley Smiley
« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 12:06:10 pm by Airspeed » Logged

richie

« Reply #474 on: March 18, 2017, 17:25:21 pm »

I have put some miles on it this week, showed up a few holes in the map so worked on that and it drives pretty good now, also found the oil cooler wasn't getting enough air flow over it in stop go traffic so have moved it to hopefully a better place. With all the turbo/header/dry sump tank etc being above and around gearbox there isn't a lot of room to work with.
Still waiting on the Drag radials to come, was supposed to ship on 13th but now been told it will be another 2 weeks so will have to test it with the slicks next weekend, not to critical as still working on the boost part of mapping anyway
It does seem to get some attention driving around with quite a few comments and thumbs up Cool one particular car following me for a while, a Mazda MX5[Miata] with a whole catalogue of bolt on junk & stickers that looked like the wheels are falling off Roll Eyes  that keep coming along side and revving the engine to get my attention but just got ignored Wink

cheers Richie

leec

« Reply #475 on: March 18, 2017, 19:20:02 pm »

How did you resist the temptation to show him the power? Smiley
Erlend / bug66
Global Moderator

SCC Event

« Reply #476 on: March 18, 2017, 20:38:13 pm »

I don't follow.. ALL cars revving should be shown the brake lights  Grin

The '67:
10.626 @ 132mph, SCC 2016
10.407 @ 134mph, SCC 2017
10.221 @ 135mph, SCC 2018

The '59:
Not yet..
richie

« Reply #477 on: March 18, 2017, 22:08:18 pm »

How did you resist the temptation to show him the power? Smiley

I don't follow.. ALL cars revving should be shown the brake lights  Grin

You kids Cheesy Grin   

And my golf cart could beat the stupid Mazda, don't need to prove the cabrio can  Roll Eyes Grin

Airspeed

« Reply #478 on: March 18, 2017, 22:41:46 pm »

And my golf cart could beat the stupid Mazda, don't need to prove the cabrio can  Roll Eyes Grin

Amen!

Erlend / bug66
Global Moderator

SCC Event

« Reply #479 on: March 19, 2017, 00:14:11 am »

Did not know that you grew too old to fool idiot drivers  Grin  Wink

The '67:
10.626 @ 132mph, SCC 2016
10.407 @ 134mph, SCC 2017
10.221 @ 135mph, SCC 2018

The '59:
Not yet..