The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 05, 2024, 08:41:02 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
351094 Posts in 28640 Topics by 6846 Members
Latest Member: JamesBoyd
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Tyre kicking
| |-+  Off Topic
| | |-+  ever outrun a cop in your VW?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: ever outrun a cop in your VW?  (Read 6013 times)
Jim Ratto

« on: December 31, 2008, 01:25:25 am »

I tried. Thought I got away with it... until they found me @ my work.
This was 1989....
« Last Edit: December 31, 2008, 05:32:03 am by Jim Ratto » Logged
John Rayburn

Der Kleiner Panzers

« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2008, 01:28:40 am »

Boy, I'll say!

I also park at Nick's.
Jason Foster

7.69 87mph 12.35 106 mph

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2008, 03:10:05 am »

Ha Ha Do tell...

STRENGTH THROUGH JOY...........

Der Kleiner Panzers
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2008, 03:21:43 am »

I have passed them a couple times going the other way. When I saw them start to slow down and u-turn, I ducked off a side street Wink

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Sam K

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2008, 03:40:46 am »

I was racing some guy in a red '68 or '69 bug with 2.0 litre alloys once and we passed a cop going the other way. I took off onto a side road, up and down a few alleys and I ended up hiding in a drive through car wash for a couple hours. Aside from that, I've always been too chicken to try to outrun them.
alfie the monster

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2008, 20:18:44 pm »

I once raced an Audi S3, we didn't see the police car hiding in a side road on the dual carridge way we were on. We got to the roundabout at the end, quick thumbs up each and went our seperate ways. The Police car followed him not me  Grin

JG54 Grunherz
Jim Ratto

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2008, 21:13:30 pm »

In 1989 I was seeing a girl that lived on the west side of Pleasanton. One day I was at work, and she called to say she wanted some pizza, so since I worked @ a pizza parlor, I dropped off a cheese pizza for her. On my way back to work, I went through her neighborhood in my usual manner, driving like a real dickhead (I was 18), sliding through corners, going to redline in first 3 gears..etc. There was a guy that lived near her that always used to scream and holler at me as I went by. This time he screamed and shook his fist, and I flipped him the finger as I went by. Next thing I know he's after me in his Oldsmobile. We're screaming through town, I duck into another residential area, cut through an alley that took me through a soccer park and took all back streets back to work. I park around back and as I get out of my car, Officer Kelley O'Neal, my # 1 enemy, pulls up in his squad car. Oh shit...
He cuffed me behind the pizza place, read me my rights, and then the guy in the Olds pulls up. O'neal knew me all too well, knew my car, knew where I worked, knew where I lived, knew what was done to my car.... he knew TOO MUCH. Anyway, he asks the Olds guy "you want me to take him away... just say the word..." I thought I was dead... but the guy actually was cool and said "naw.... I used to drive like an asshole when I was a kid too. Let him go. Just never drive down my street again!"

So no I never got away with anything, really. One time I was late for work @ BH, and was FLYING up the Dublin Grade with my S/F engine and got pinched by CHP. Turns out the guy was a VW guy, restoring a convert for his daughter, and asked what made my car go like it did.... there we were on the shoulder of 580, looking under my decklid at 48mm Webers, etc. I gave him my business card, we shook hands and I was set free.... 
Harry/FDK

Every Rule Was Made To Break, Even Callook...

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2008, 21:26:27 pm »

"Somebody Upthere Likes You"

Done ? Not Yet.
Jim Ratto

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2008, 21:56:43 pm »

"Somebody Upthere Likes You"

Don't know about that...

One day I was driving to my friend Billy's, in Pleasanton, and up comes O'Neal behind me. Luckily I'm doing the limit, signal, etc... but he stops me anyway. I'm thinking to myself "what'd I do?"....maybe it was the merged QP mufflers (again).
Anyway, I pull off, he walks up to my window and says "hi Jim"... so I return the greeting... and he asks "know why I stopped you this time?"

"No."

"Just to say hi"

Angry
lawrence

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2008, 22:59:13 pm »

No, I raced a turbo, datsun 510 and shut him down by a car length. We flipped around and headed back to the crowd waiting at the "starting line." A cop saw our race and stopped us both. He yelled at us and let us go. True story.

"Happiness is a Hot VW!"
team97
DKK

3M TA3

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2008, 23:41:04 pm »

One of my cop stories is in The Cal Look Book..............................................enough said.

Der Kleiner Panzers III
D.K.K.
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2009, 01:05:37 am »

One day I was driving to my friend Billy's, in Pleasanton, and up comes O'Neal behind me. Luckily I'm doing the limit, signal, etc... but he stops me anyway. I'm thinking to myself "what'd I do?"....maybe it was the merged QP mufflers (again).
Anyway, I pull off, he walks up to my window and says "hi Jim"... so I return the greeting... and he asks "know why I stopped you this time?"

"No."

"Just to say hi"

HAHA!! I eventually got used to being pulled over in my orange car whenever driving in Orange County. But the first few times... I was tryin' to figure out WHY they were doing it. Fullerton P.D. decided to, one afternoon. I was very pissed at myself and didn't know what was up. They approached my car. Said, "Is this your car?" I told 'em it was. They told me that the ticket book was on the hood of their squad car. I looked in my mirrors and it was. I asked if I could step out and they said, "Of course." The were both walking around the car... looking underneath the engine and undercarriage. The driver asked if he could open the decklid and promised to be not rough with it. Okay. They sat there and asked who built the engine, how did I lower the car, complimented the stance, paint, and wheels. After checkin' out the detailed trunk and interior. They told me that they just wanted to look at the car up close and they'd seen it all over So Cal.

WHEW!

But every time, to this day, when a peace officer pulls me over and asks if I knew why they did, I always answer no. NEVER admit guilt. Great stories. Check out Glenn's in Keith's new Cal Look book. GOOD STUFF!

Going back to my very first speeding ticket on Christmas Eve of 1980... this new black Porsche 911SC and I were blazing down Pacific Coast Highway, southbound, at almost midnight in Long Beach. I looked in my mirrors and saw two cop cars with their lights on. Of course, the Porsche took off into the night. Mad at myself... I pulled over just after the first bridge as you approach Seal Beach city limits. I put both of my hands where they could see 'em. Thought, FOR SURE, I was going to jail. My speedometer was pegged and still pullin' when I realized I was caught. They ran my license and came back to the car. Asked me to step out. Oh, boy... here come the cuffs. Nope! They were actually pretty cool about the situation and told me that because it was my first ticket ever & it was Christmas Eve, they'd give me a break. Also, they lowered my clocked speed down to 65mph. in a posted 50mph. Thank God! Otherwise, I would've gotten a Reckless Driving ticket and possible jail time.

Afterwards, they tossed their ticket book in their car and asked to see the engine. They had their MagLites (flashlights) shining on my little 1700cc and were amazed that I was going that fast. Then... they asked, "Didn't you see us way back there at the Golden Sails Hotel in Long Beach? There was six of our Long Beach P.D. cars in the parking lot, drinking coffee." After I told 'em no, they laughed and said that it took them till Seal Beach (about a mile or more down the road) to catch me. With a straight face, I asked them, "How come you didn't go after the Porsche?" They all laughed and said that they were more interested in finding out how I was able to keep up alongside a 911. We told each other Merry Christmas and I turned around and went back home. So much for my drive down the coast, that night. Wasn't in the mood, after that.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2009, 01:16:27 am by DKK_Fred » Logged

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2009, 11:18:56 am »

cool stories mark  Grin Grin you're a lucky guy

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
Nico86

Turnip engine.

« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2009, 12:42:14 pm »

Afterwards, they tossed their ticket book in their car and asked to see the engine. They had their MagLites (flashlights) shining on my little 1700cc and were amazed that I was going that fast. Then... they asked, "Didn't you see us way back there at the Golden Sails Hotel in Long Beach? There was six of our Long Beach P.D. cars in the parking lot, drinking coffee." After I told 'em no, they laughed and said that it took them till Seal Beach (about a mile or more down the road) to catch me. With a straight face, I asked them, "How come you didn't go after the Porsche?" They all laughed and said that they were more interested in finding out how I was able to keep up alongside a 911. We told each other Merry Christmas and I turned around and went back home. So much for my drive down the coast, that night. Wasn't in the mood, after that. [/b]

Nice story !

Dave Rosique

nobodyouno

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2009, 09:17:32 am »

Once (that I'll admit to).

Many moons ago, back when I was 16 or so, my buddy Jeff and I used to hang out at Hof's Hut restaurant on Bellflower Boulevard in Long Beach... We would go in there pretty late nearly every night and drink coffee and flirt with the waitresses... no big deal.
One night, probably a weekend (I know it was really late) we got the hair-brained idea to drive through the Los Altos shopping mall across from Hof's... and I mean through it! Right down the middle of the mall between the stores, dodging trash cans, burning rubber, the whole thing! At the end of the mall we skidded out on to the sidewalk pointing north just as a Long Beach cop is driving by the mall heading south!  CRAP!!  The cop instantly red-lights us, but we're on the other side of the street and since there is a big median / curb in the cop's way we decided to make a run for Jeff's house! (only a few blocks away). We killed the lights and drove like mad, made it to his house, and ditched our cars in his back yard JUST before the cop turned down his street looking for us! We hid behind the fence, scared sh*tless as we listened to that cop drive up and down every street in the neighborhood...

At least nobody was hurt, we were only 16 or so, but how stupid can you get???  Huh

~DR.
Rennsurfer

« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2009, 16:46:48 pm »

HAHAHA!!! OH MY GOD, Dave... that story is great. That open air mall is still near my house. Now, I can smile as I pass by it when I go to the beach.

~Sarge
John Rayburn

Der Kleiner Panzers

« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2009, 17:24:38 pm »

Dave, tell them about Jeff's Mom wondering about the ruckus.

I also park at Nick's.
Dave Rosique

nobodyouno

« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2009, 01:09:08 am »

Dave, tell them about Jeff's Mom wondering about the ruckus.

I guess I left that part out...

As we were in the hiding in the back yard trying to catch our breath, Jeff's mom turns on the back porch light, steps out of the house in her PJ's, and starts to grill us on what the heck is going on in her yard! Jeff and I usher her back inside QUICKLY turning off the light... we modified the truth a little... we told her the cops were after us, but I'm sure we left out the mall part... probably told her something lame.
She was used to us getting fix-it tickets and generally harassed by the police since driving a lowered / modified VW in the 70's was like asking to get pulled over.

I'm sure she knew there was more to the story... I would.

~DR. 
Lee.C

I might be an Idiot but I'm not an Arsehole!

« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2009, 01:45:56 am »

Once (that I'll admit to).

Many moons ago, back when I was 16 or so, my buddy Jeff and I used to hang out at Hof's Hut restaurant on Bellflower Boulevard in Long Beach... We would go in there pretty late nearly every night and drink coffee and flirt with the waitresses... no big deal.
One night, probably a weekend (I know it was really late) we got the hair-brained idea to drive through the Los Altos shopping mall across from Hof's... and I mean through it! Right down the middle of the mall between the stores, dodging trash cans, burning rubber, the whole thing! At the end of the mall we skidded out on to the sidewalk pointing north just as a Long Beach cop is driving by the mall heading south!  CRAP!!  The cop instantly red-lights us, but we're on the other side of the street and since there is a big median / curb in the cop's way we decided to make a run for Jeff's house! (only a few blocks away). We killed the lights and drove like mad, made it to his house, and ditched our cars in his back yard JUST before the cop turned down his street looking for us! We hid behind the fence, scared sh*tless as we listened to that cop drive up and down every street in the neighborhood...

At least nobody was hurt, we were only 16 or so, but how stupid can you get???  Huh

~DR.

Sounds like the kinda thing I would have done Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

You either "Get It" or you don't......
Rennsurfer

« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2009, 02:45:27 am »

She was used to us getting fix-it tickets and generally harassed by the police since driving a lowered / modified VW in the 70's was like asking to get pulled over.

Ain't THAT the truth!? I had so many fix-it tickets in my orange '66, I lost count. Thankfully, my neighbor/friend's Dad was a Lakewood Sheriff and was able to sign off all my tickets.

I notice that when I drive my current '67, cops don't even look at me. It's GREAT! Thought I'd never live to see that.

~Sarge
Dave Rosique

nobodyouno

« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2009, 15:28:17 pm »

Ain't THAT the truth!? I had so many fix-it tickets in my orange '66, I lost count. Thankfully, my neighbor/friend's Dad was a Lakewood Sheriff and was able to sign off all my tickets.

I notice that when I drive my current '67, cops don't even look at me. It's GREAT! Thought I'd never live to see that.

My usual tickets were too low, no front license plate, insufficient bumpers, modified exhaust... I was also a punk kid back then, and drove like it. I even got a ticket on Bellflower Boulevard for turning around in a parking lot without parking (we were cruising of course).
Nowdays, we're older, (much, much older! Shocked) smarter, and honestly I dont think the cops write fix-it tickets like they used too... look at all the loud Harleys with "ape hanger" handlebars running around... they would have never made it back in the 70's.

~DR.
holmsen

« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2009, 17:50:15 pm »

Does outrun a cop in a vw count ? Smiley  at the age of 12, i was "burning" on my neighbours lawn,,on a newly stolen 50ccm Gilera, felt a tap on my shoulder,looked back, and there he stood, read a cop, got off the brakes and drove off down the street. heart was allready pumping hard, saw the cop jump into his vw  bay, heard the sirens come on, and the hunt for me was on. after a couple of minuts and some sharp cornering around for me familiar streets,they stopped and let out their german shepherd. The Gilera was not fast enough to outrun the dog,so i headed for a steep long downhill street,,at this time heart was pumping so hard my sight was flimmering, i was afraid i could run into something and get caught. But i guess at one point they called back their dog, because when i got downtown, the dog was no longer there.I parked the Gilera and took the tram back home
peach_

« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2009, 18:40:47 pm »

some really cool stories there  Cool anyone got anymore? Grin

1966 java green looker- 2276 Street Machine, with standard gear box@ 14.5 (2013), With Pro Street Box @ 13.5 (2014), still more to come!

SAS RENN-WAGENS and proud

#CALLOOKDRAGS
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: