The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 06:42:35 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350681 Posts in 28573 Topics by 6820 Members
Latest Member: chicochemxli
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Old School Cal Looks The Way I Remember Them !!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Print
Author Topic: Old School Cal Looks The Way I Remember Them !!  (Read 51634 times)
DHood

« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2006, 07:22:18 am »

I'm telling you I think that there is a secret conspiracy here in the US to kill the traditional Cal-look sceen Angry
Becouse we all know real Cal-look cars don't sell magazines Wink
« Last Edit: December 11, 2006, 07:24:21 am by DHood » Logged
Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #31 on: December 11, 2006, 08:48:34 am »

Dan... I think that is a very valid comment.

Since most of the Heavy Hitters on the Lounge have weighed in, I think that it's only fair that I get to spout my drivel as well!  Wink

I think that current Cal-Look ethos as pounded a stake in the ground @ February 1975 and is judging every thing according to that yardstick. The reality is that the style has changed and morphed over the years. Some of those changes have withstood the passage of time and others have not. 

I was always trying different looks with my '67. As an example, look at my bumpers. That car in the 6 years I was showing it, it was configured with t-bars, full US bumpers, just blades, blades with Euro guards, blades with EMPI guards and blades with Euro Guards and EMPI guards. Was it less or more Cal-Look with any of those configurations? I don't think so.

People make too much about the trim. I LIKE the side trim on my car... on a beige car, the side view needs a little more character to bring it out. On a lot of other cars, the color doesn't need that character. Does it make it Cal-Look or not? NO.

That page Zach posted out of the '75 HVW... I bet a couple of guys spent an hour or two in the HVW office knocking that out before the deadline and now, 30 years later people treat it like it's a decree from on high.

On the other hand... a cal look car is not determined by how many accessories you can bolt on to it regardless of if it's EMPI, DDS vintage stuff or if its luggage racks and vintage Coca-Cola ice chests.

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
Rune
SCC Crew

Screwdrivers #7

« Reply #32 on: December 11, 2006, 10:01:40 am »

Great thread, I so agree with you Shubee
Tobi/DFL

« Reply #33 on: December 11, 2006, 10:07:35 am »

Hmmm, I get the point and understand what guys like Shubee want to express but I don´t think that those "rules" which were defined in HVW´s Feb. '75 issue are not to be seen too strict.
Otherwise I think that my oval could not be considered a "true" cal looker as it neither has tinted windows, engine hanger etc... Wink

Tobi
ESH

« Reply #34 on: December 11, 2006, 10:21:26 am »

...Otherwise I think that my oval could not be considered a "true" cal looker as it neither has tinted windows, engine hanger etc...

That '75 vibe? Way I see it yours is about as true as it gets. Cool
Jon
Administrator

12,3@174km/t at Gardermoen 2008

« Reply #35 on: December 11, 2006, 10:57:25 am »

You don't ever have to worry Tobi... that is a Cal-looker in a big way...

Grumpy old men have signatures like this.
Dave Galassi

« Reply #36 on: December 11, 2006, 15:05:37 pm »

I Just Want To Thank You Guys For Your Input I am Not Against Any of The Cars Being Built Today It is Just Not What They Think it is Weather its a Resto Rod,Resto Mod, Or A REAL OLD SCHOOL CAL LOOK They Are all nice cars in there Own Way and Style JUST NOT O.G. CAL LOOK's Like Jim Said you cant Drop the Front slap on some Flat 4's and a Mundo Muffler And Call it a Cal Look...

Well put Shubee.
Frank LUX

Back...Soon...hopefully!!!

« Reply #37 on: December 11, 2006, 16:21:49 pm »

Hmmm,

I'll have to leave the Cal-Look Lounge as both of my Cars still have the Chrome on them, so they are not to be considered a Cal-Look... Cry Wink Grin Grin Grin

Frank

1960 Ragtop, 2332cc, 48 IDA's, Joe Hunt Magneto, someday it will be back...
1953 Split Window, 1799cc, 48 IDA's, Don Zig Magneto,  OG BRM's...in da works...
SumFun Racecar, 2332cc, 48 IDA's, Magneto
Turtle001

« Reply #38 on: December 11, 2006, 16:34:34 pm »

indeed frank -- me too -- let's make a new forum:  cal-with trim-look.no/lounge

swedish '59er in a winter sleep
http://turtle.skynetblogs.be
LuftsickTero

« Reply #39 on: December 11, 2006, 16:48:00 pm »

I'll have to ask Heeba to make me new logo after living in lie for many years..  Grin

| Cal&Resto | Publishing own mediocre Cal Look photos since 1995 in interwebs.
Tim C

« Reply #40 on: December 11, 2006, 17:11:18 pm »

Hey Turtle, can we join...the majority of the JG54 club cars still run chrome trim, most have narrowed beams and some even have bumpers!!!  Shocked   Cheesy

JG54 Greenhearts
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #41 on: December 11, 2006, 17:16:51 pm »

That page Zach posted out of the '75 HVW... I bet a couple of guys spent an hour or two in the HVW office knocking that out before the deadline and now, 30 years later people treat it like it's a decree from on high.

Im not saying that every cal look car has to be a cookie cutter image of that one. It is a guide. Lowered front, staggered tires, big motor out back, simple paint, no bumpers and no trim are the only way to go for true Cal Look, IMO. The rest is open to interpritation. Cal Look has always been the "less is more" approach to customization, and chrome definitely doesnt fit in with "less". But what do I know, I wasnt even born until 6 years after that issue was off the stands Roll Eyes Wink

And BTW, I think Savannah Beige cars look bitchin without chrome!!! But since your car has a history, I too would leave the chrome intact on that one.

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Trond Dahl
Administrator

« Reply #42 on: December 11, 2006, 17:36:17 pm »

Guys, that's why we have the offtopic thread  Cheesy

Street car 10.67/206kmt@Kjula 2014
Race car 9.49/236kmt@SCC 2017

TiDi

« Reply #43 on: December 11, 2006, 18:09:10 pm »

Guys, that's why we have the offtopic thread  Cheesy

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

4 Wheel Ripperz - http://cal-look.tumblr.com/
Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #44 on: December 11, 2006, 18:58:12 pm »

Im not saying that every cal look car has to be a cookie cutter image of that one. It is a guide. Lowered front, staggered tires, big motor out back, simple paint, no bumpers and no trim are the only way to go for true Cal Look, IMO. The rest is open to interpritation. Cal Look has always been the "less is more" approach to customization, and chrome definitely doesnt fit in with "less". But what do I know, I wasnt even born until 6 years after that issue was off the stands Roll Eyes Wink

And BTW, I think Savannah Beige cars look bitchin without chrome!!! But since your car has a history, I too would leave the chrome intact on that one.

Hey Zach... I never meant to put those words in you mouth and if you took it as such, I apologize. The limitations of the internet are sometimes what we type doesn't match with the point we would like to put across.

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
Sarge

« Reply #45 on: December 11, 2006, 20:03:33 pm »

WOW, another great thread on the Lounge!  Shubee, that pic of Ed Craig's car behind the Buena Park Auto Haus sure brought back a flood of old memories...can't begin to tell you guys how many IDA's, Okrasa cranks, NPR 92's, and S&S Headers went through that door!  I like Bullit's thoughts on the under-carriages of cars back in the old days...back then, I can remember taking off the wheels occasionaly and touching up inside the fender-wells with a flat black spray can; something that would probably be out of place today!  Back in the old days, most of us spent our hard-earned bucks on making our cars as fast as possible...paint jobs, floor pan renovation, and interiors came after the fact.  I had clear Lexan headlight lenses, too...as well as Hainline engine turned inner headlight trims (we sold all of Ernie Hainline's stuff at Auto Haus back then).  I'm a huge fan of "Simple-is-Better"!  Grin

DKP III
Shubee2 (DSK)

"There's No School Like OLD SCHOOL"

« Reply #46 on: December 11, 2006, 20:10:06 pm »

Hey Sarge did you work for Auto Haus To??

Der Selten Kafers VW Club.
Founding Member Est: 1976

58 Ragtop Old School Cal Look
66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
Sarge

« Reply #47 on: December 11, 2006, 20:43:25 pm »

Yes, I did!  First, at the Beach Blvd store with Ed Craig and then at the warehouse on Dale St...would have been 1971-1972.

DKP III
Frank LUX

« Reply #48 on: December 11, 2006, 20:52:01 pm »

Hey "Old Guys"  Wink,

Some of us Youngsters are still using Okrasa Cranks and IDA's... Wink Grin Grin Grin

Frank

1953 Split Window, 1799cc, 48 IDA's, Don Zig Magneto,  OG BRM's...in da works...
Martin Greaves

10.88@128.58

« Reply #49 on: December 11, 2006, 20:54:29 pm »

yes im using a 82mm Okrasa Crank as a paper weight Tongue

Hahaha your killing me.........
Frank LUX

« Reply #50 on: December 11, 2006, 20:58:09 pm »

yes im using a 82mm Okrasa Crank as a paper weight Tongue

Well,

I'll give you 5 Bucks for your Paper Weight Crank... Wink

Frank

Frank LUX

« Reply #51 on: December 11, 2006, 20:59:07 pm »

BTW Martin,

I've got one in my Motor, Boum Boum...

Frank

Gregor/DFL

No comment...

« Reply #52 on: December 11, 2006, 21:00:56 pm »

Hmmm,

I'll have to leave the Cal-Look Lounge as both of my Cars still have the Chrome on them, so they are not to be considered a Cal-Look... Cry Wink Grin Grin Grin

Frank

Ok-new member here Grin

1965 black bug with Empi 5s
Shubee2 (DSK)

"There's No School Like OLD SCHOOL"

« Reply #53 on: December 11, 2006, 21:14:34 pm »

Hey Sarge I Worked at the POMONA store in 71 and 72 I also worked at the Warehouse,Buena Park Store,Van Nuys Store, Do You Remember Jon Sandavol? Mark and Larry Rosevear?Geno?Jon Lazinbee?  My Blue 56 Oval was Mark Rosevears old White Oval street car

Der Selten Kafers VW Club.
Founding Member Est: 1976

58 Ragtop Old School Cal Look
66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
Lee.C

I might be an Idiot but I'm not an Arsehole!

« Reply #54 on: December 11, 2006, 21:42:24 pm »

You don't ever have to worry Tobi... that is a Cal-looker in a big way...

Couldn't agree more dude - I love those Centerlines  Cool

You either "Get It" or you don't......
SOB/RFH

Have fun!!

« Reply #55 on: December 11, 2006, 22:24:31 pm »

Jim...right on the target....I agree with all of it.....I don not want to get this topic in the wrong direction, but.....no offense or intetnion to stir things up....I just can't hold it back: No molding on a Cal-look car!!.......................................................................Did I say something wrong? Grin

To be honest. 100% spot on. Happiness is a Hot VW!!
Martin Greaves

10.88@128.58

« Reply #56 on: December 11, 2006, 22:49:02 pm »

No everyone should be driving tube-chassis pro-turbo sedan on the street. Grin

Hahaha your killing me.........
Jon
Administrator

12,3@174km/t at Gardermoen 2008

« Reply #57 on: December 11, 2006, 23:35:31 pm »

Look how cool this is. We have guys that were there, in the golden era of the scene, talking to us young guys about "how it was." The really cool thing is that we actually respect everybody is talking about! That's what it's all about.

You said it Jim R, that is the true magic of the lounge... firm opinions, and STILL respect!! Amazing!

Grumpy old men have signatures like this.
Peter

« Reply #58 on: December 11, 2006, 23:44:36 pm »

If you want a tastefully-done, subtle sedan, with a potent, high-output Weber motor and the classic 'stance', then you're at the right place. With or without your moldings!

what about fuel injection? Smiley

Diederick/DVK

They're never done till they're sold

« Reply #59 on: December 12, 2006, 00:26:09 am »

Look how cool this is. We have guys that were there, in the golden era of the scene, talking to us young guys about "how it was." The really cool thing is that we actually respect everybody is talking about! That's what it's all about.
When I got into VW's and where I grew up, if you were into VW's, you'd slam both ends of the car, shave everything (door handles, license plate light...EVERYTHING), and chrome the motor, match paint some replica mags, tint the windows, and then, worst of all, paint some graphics-scheme all over the car. While I did run a decklid that was shaved, I never liked the other stuff. I was hard to convince of even lowering my '67, but finally did in 1987 or 8. But my car was different than the rest back then, at least where I hung out. If I went to shows or to local club events, my car was the ugly duckling. Oh well..
My point is, your car should be your car. If you're into hanging brifecases and Coke coolers all over the car, and you really like it, then cool, do it. If you dig bone-stock VW's and the whistle of a 36hp, then cool, have fun. If you want to drive a tube-chassis pro-turbo sedan on the street, be my guest. If you want a tastefully-done, subtle sedan, with a potent, high-output Weber motor and the classic 'stance', then you're at the right place. With or without your moldings!  Cheesy

As always jim, Amen!  Wink

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
DVK ~ Der Vollgas Kreuzers
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: