The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 14:56:14 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350687 Posts in 28576 Topics by 6820 Members
Latest Member: chicochemxli
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Old School Cal Looks The Way I Remember Them !!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Print
Author Topic: Old School Cal Looks The Way I Remember Them !!  (Read 51676 times)
Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #60 on: December 12, 2006, 00:55:01 am »

If you want a tastefully-done, subtle sedan, with a potent, high-output Weber motor and the classic 'stance', then you're at the right place. With or without your moldings!

what about fuel injection? Smiley

Mechanical=Yes
Electronic=No 

Grin

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
Sarge

« Reply #61 on: December 12, 2006, 01:25:52 am »

Hey Sarge I Worked at the POMONA store in 71 and 72 I also worked at the Warehouse,Buena Park Store,Van Nuys Store, Do You Remember Jon Sandavol? Mark and Larry Rosevear?Geno?Jon Lazinbee?  My Blue 56 Oval was Mark Rosevears old White Oval street car

I used to talk to Mark when I had my sandrail.  He works for McKenzie's Off-Road in Anaheim.  Larry has a suspension shop in Anaheim but I can't remember the name of it.  John Lazenby ownes the Royze Company (remember those carb kits from years ago?) in Garden Grove.  You and I must have missed each other by a day or two!

DKP III
Shubee2 (DSK)

"There's No School Like OLD SCHOOL"

« Reply #62 on: December 12, 2006, 02:44:34 am »

LOL Sarge I Still feel 18 but with 34 years experience LOL Damm what has Happened To Time It Flys By It Feels like Just A Few Weeks Ago I Was Street Racing Behind Pacific Stereo In Anaheim

Der Selten Kafers VW Club.
Founding Member Est: 1976

58 Ragtop Old School Cal Look
66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #63 on: December 12, 2006, 02:52:37 am »

Hey Zach... I never meant to put those words in you mouth and if you took it as such, I apologize. The limitations of the internet are sometimes what we type doesn't match with the point we would like to put across.

Its all good- hence the smiley faces Wink

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
javabug

WHAT'S UP WID DA BOOM BOOM???

« Reply #64 on: December 12, 2006, 03:57:30 am »

Excellent read from the veterans here.

With that said...less talk more old pictures!!!   Grin

Mike H.

Sven was right.
larry mck

« Reply #65 on: December 12, 2006, 06:40:26 am »

The only problem I have with all the high dollar cal bugs of today are they all look pretty much the same. Perfect paint, BRMs, GTV steering wheel, Berg shifter, Auto Meter Tac and big beautiful 48 IDA engines all way too clean. Wait that's what I like about them. I guess it is harder to stand out from the crowd with a cool cal bug today.   
H67bug

« Reply #66 on: December 12, 2006, 12:10:10 pm »

Great views.  Smiley I quite like the quote I read recently on here..

"It is just a representation of a slice of time"

Cal look seems to have changed with time. The internet helps people gain more information and enable us to beter understand and view those changes. 20 years ago I could only form opinions on what I read in a magazine or people brought to shows, now I can draw learnings from farther afield both in terms of source, geography and time.

One way to view the debate is to ask when was true cal look defined? Was it in the early days when modifying began or when it was recognised?. The next question is, have the cars been improved on from the early days? I say yes! Many would say late 70'2 cars are more appealing to them than the earlier incarnations.

If you like it you like it. I like it clean, quick in a straight line, mildly tough looking.

Alex and I have 2 almost identical cars (black 67's ) but the changes, subtle as they are show our prferences ( turbo v dual pack, interiors and wheels ), I like that slightly tough look, he likes the more purist approach.Both are cal look.

Cal look for me is:

simon uk

« Reply #67 on: December 12, 2006, 16:03:32 pm »

excellent thread. Most of us on here like EMPI bits, what is everyones view on where this sits in cal look world. I always consider they are slightly to show-offy to be real old school cal look (apart from Berms), but original EMPI defines that period. Having said that my car has original empi bits, and I intend to keep them on there! Is an original GTV a cal looker? I would say no! is it cool, hell yes!

What other makes and parts correctly define the period?
Turtle001

« Reply #68 on: December 12, 2006, 16:08:35 pm »

Mag 5's!

ps. thanx Anders ;-)

swedish '59er in a winter sleep
http://turtle.skynetblogs.be
Dave Galassi

« Reply #69 on: December 12, 2006, 16:39:55 pm »

Hey Sarge I Worked at the POMONA store in 71 and 72 I also worked at the Warehouse,Buena Park Store,Van Nuys Store, Do You Remember Jon Sandavol? Mark and Larry Rosevear?Geno?Jon Lazinbee?  My Blue 56 Oval was Mark Rosevears old White Oval street car

Jon Sandoval, who was a DKP 2 member, worked for Rocket Industries, the aftermarket wheel and parts manufacturer.  What a nice guy.  I used to see him a lot at Bill and Steve's back in the 80's because he would help out selling at intershows.  He was kind enough to give (yes, give) me all of his bugin dash plaques and other DKP memorabilia.  I haven't seen him in years, though. 
Shubee2 (DSK)

« Reply #70 on: December 12, 2006, 18:02:30 pm »

Hi Guys I Must Say The Ones of you that Have Posted a Picture of Your Cal Look on this Thread Are Keeping The True Cal Look Alive I Wish Hot VW's Would Put more of Your Cars In The Mag, After all It is Hot VW's so lets see Some Hot VW's In Stead Of Trailer Queens, Do we need Buy The Guys At Hot VW's A Plane Ticket To THe U.K. England or Japan To See Real Old School Cal Looks Because they are sure Slacking These Days here.

66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
streetvw

« Reply #71 on: December 12, 2006, 20:22:30 pm »

the car that really turned me on to the original Cal Look thing was Hector Bonilla's 67 when it was featured in Volksworld, thats the one that opened my eye's to how cool a looker could be (with your car sneeking into the back ground of the shots Shubee). after that I started to look at the old magazines a little closer and found pictures of cars like Geno combs 69 now that car is cool (see below) Grin
Shubee2 (DSK)

« Reply #72 on: December 12, 2006, 22:48:48 pm »

My Red Oval Was Also Going to Be In Volksworld But They Let Hector Turn in his own Pictures LOL The Ones in the Mag Are All taken By Hector He Left My Car Out When He Sent his Pictures in It was going to Be two Cal Looks But I Took The Back Seat On That One Thanks Hector Where ever you Are Now LOL...

66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup

« Reply #73 on: December 13, 2006, 00:37:50 am »

What upsets me about the current Cal-Look trend is the abundance of reproduction parts.
I know that alot of the parts are extremely difficult to find and most of the time very expensive.
Remember, they were rare and expensive in 1975 also !
But that's what makes them special !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It's REAL history.
Would you enjoy museums if all the displays were "copies" of the real article ?
I am so tired of reading articles about cars claimed to be best Cal-Look car on the planet and read on about the Flat-4 BRM's, Flat-4 GTV steering wheels, Java decklid, Randars,etc...
Kind of like trying to convince your wife that her Cubic Zirconium wedding ring is just as good as the genuine article.
Just my $.02
« Last Edit: December 13, 2006, 00:40:25 am by Richard Roth » Logged
Lee.C

I might be an Idiot but I'm not an Arsehole!

« Reply #74 on: December 13, 2006, 00:45:13 am »

VERY well put Richard  Smiley

You either "Get It" or you don't......
Turtle001

« Reply #75 on: December 13, 2006, 01:05:47 am »

amen!

swedish '59er in a winter sleep
http://turtle.skynetblogs.be
Shubee2 (DSK)

« Reply #76 on: December 13, 2006, 01:58:10 am »

Like I Have Always Said About Real EMPI Parts Often Imitated never Duplicated EMPI  Riverside Calif Not Empi Anaheim Ca.?? Made in China Repops. all the stuff now Days is Mr Bug China Crap Packaged as Empi
« Last Edit: December 13, 2006, 02:00:20 am by Shubee2 (DSK) » Logged

66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
Jøran Larssen

« Reply #77 on: December 13, 2006, 02:26:10 am »

I must admit that I love the Cal-look style, but being a owner of a Karmann Ghia, I find it difficult to go for the dechromed and no bumper style etc. So basicly I drive a stock looking Ghia exterior wise, with an original interior. But with a little stance, a HD gearbox, a 48IDA powered engine, and some 70s add-ons inside the car, my goal has been to make it a true Cal-looker, or as close to one as possible. I must admit that I wanted to keep it easily reversible to original condition, even if I doubt I will ever do so ;-)

« Last Edit: December 13, 2006, 02:31:09 am by VW-Schnellfahrer » Logged

SCC 2010: 11.103 @ 192.00 km/h
Shubee2 (DSK)

« Reply #78 on: December 13, 2006, 03:21:26 am »

Your Ghia Looks Nice I Dont Like Ghia's Dechromed and you already Have The Euro Bumpers Look At The First Picture Of DKP's Roger Greco's Ghia He Also Left The Chrome On.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2006, 03:23:09 am by Shubee2 (DSK) » Logged

66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
Bryan67

« Reply #79 on: December 13, 2006, 03:32:15 am »

Even though theres nothing wrong with chrome, I like them better without. That goes for Ghias and T 3`s also.

If you`re going to do something, do it right.
javabug

« Reply #80 on: December 13, 2006, 03:38:24 am »

In regards to rare, expensive parts...I've been building a late 70s-style car in my head for a while.  And of course, while all the old EMPI, DDS, etc., stuff is cool, why not think about building an old-style car with parts easily attainable today?

I'm thinking chromies/no caps.  Motolita or Mountney steering wheel.  GTS old-style sport seats.  VDO cockpit gagues.  Or, Autometer performance series gagues (chrome bezels).  All the style stuff to build a cool car, available through mail order.

Or is this not expensive enough to be cool???

Mike H.

Sven was right.
Shubee2 (DSK)

« Reply #81 on: December 13, 2006, 05:06:17 am »

In regards to rare, expensive parts...I've been building a late 70s-style car in my head for a while.  And of course, while all the old EMPI, DDS, etc., stuff is cool, why not think about building an old-style car with parts easily attainable today?

I'm thinking chromies/no caps.  Motolita or Mountney steering wheel.  GTS old-style sport seats.  VDO cockpit gagues.  Or, Autometer performance series gagues (chrome bezels).  All the style stuff to build a cool car, available through mail order.

Or is this not expensive enough to be cool???
theres nothing wrong with that its the Look that needs to be Kept as long as you dont Hang all the Bullshit on it A True Cal Look Was not a COOKIE CUTTER Image Of someone else's Cal Look Everyone Used a Little Different Part but Kept the Original Cal Look It Goes like this you dont Build a Nice Cal Look and Put Cal Custom Pedal Pads On It That Looks Tackie

66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
Jon
Administrator

12,3@174km/t at Gardermoen 2008

« Reply #82 on: December 13, 2006, 12:53:08 pm »

Great input form you Shubee2! Especially this: "A True Cal Look Was not a COOKIE CUTTER Image Of someone else's Cal Look Everyone Used a Little Different Part but Kept the Original Cal Look"
About real vs copies I think it boils down to what you aim for; the look, or a car that could have been built back them.
Myself I'm a "original-parts" kind of guy, I would rather own a real Formula France steering wheel than a fake Empi wheel.

Grumpy old men have signatures like this.
javabug

« Reply #83 on: December 13, 2006, 13:41:54 pm »

Right, understand about extra "accessories" and stuff that doesn't need to be there.  I'm talking about building a clean, performance-based late 70s style car using pieces that are being made today, but not reproductions.  This doesn't mean the car is going to look modern, either.  All the items I mentioned previously are still available new, because its stuff that never stopped being produced.  The key to it is, like Shubee said, is you need to think for yourself on some of it.  Its ok to get parts that suit the car elsewhere than a VW supplier.

Then, of course, comes the proper style of bodywork, stance, and mechanicals.  Which ultimately make or break the rest of the pieces.

Mike H.

Sven was right.
67Screamer

« Reply #84 on: December 13, 2006, 21:36:57 pm »

Straight Time

« Reply #85 on: December 13, 2006, 22:04:51 pm »

Surley back in the day when these "genuine" cal look cars were being built, the main emphasis was on performance. To that end I would imagine they used the most upto date parts they could get or afford to get. The wide use of 48IDA'S must have been because that was the best method of acheiving big bhp. So can we not now have the style of a "genuine" cal look car but with more modern technology , i.e throttle bodies, fuel injection , turbo..... It's just a different method (modern) to gain the same end. The style and essence is still there.   

Just a thought.

No retreat, No surrender !
Shubee2 (DSK)

« Reply #86 on: December 15, 2006, 07:00:52 am »

Heres a Picture of My Blue 56 Oval Another DSK Car Picture Taken in 1975 notice the 356A Brakes all around They Were Cheap back then..
« Last Edit: December 15, 2006, 07:03:00 am by Shubee2 (DSK) » Logged

66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
Shubee2 (DSK)

« Reply #87 on: December 15, 2006, 07:18:57 am »

Heres another Picture of the car and the Motor 78x88 with 42 mm Weber Berg Specials and Deano linkage Car Also Featured The Second 36 horse Dog House Fan Housing ever made this was Hand Made By Steve Walker of Glendora Ca. He Has The First one Made these were made by combinding two German Fan housings  The China and Jap one's were not made till the late 80's and early 90's
« Last Edit: December 15, 2006, 07:22:00 am by Shubee2 (DSK) » Logged

66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
Shubee2 (DSK)

« Reply #88 on: May 31, 2007, 21:51:27 pm »

I was just  going threw this Thread again and Reading everyones Imput It was a great thread with lots of great Pictures and Imput on the Cal Look of then and Now 

66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #89 on: May 31, 2007, 22:23:30 pm »

Wow, this is a great thread. Not sure how I missed it before. It is good to see more people think like I do when it comes to Cal-look. While the craftsmanship of the current Cal-Look feature cars may be outstanding, I find them boring. I want a bug with attitude. Here is what I want to do with my '67:

I am thinking black plaid for the interior. It will be a couple of years before I can get all the right parts together, but I can't wait. Until then I can hang out here and check out the cool cars.

--louis

Louis Brooks

The Beatings Will Continue Until Moral Improves!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: