The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 00:02:58 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350689 Posts in 28577 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Dutch scene?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13 Print
Author Topic: Dutch scene?  (Read 138634 times)
LuftsickTero

« on: December 14, 2006, 10:53:21 am »

How is the Volkswagen scene in Netherlands? I have been to VW Euro in 2000, seen some event pictures like Budel, visited Ploon's side for many years etc, but otherwise I have no idea how things are in real..

Are there good shops? Engine builders? Meetings?

Could some of you guys registered in here shed some light?

| Cal&Resto | Publishing own mediocre Cal Look photos since 1995 in interwebs.
Diederick/DVK

They're never done till they're sold

« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2006, 12:02:21 pm »

How come the interest in the dutch scene  Wink  there's only a few of us on here, JeePee;

Jordy, still building his cal-look 67 (model 68), and Dokke (DFL) when he was on TV with a few other resto-cals and german-lookers on the background to get an idea of the scene here;

and i guess two or three that don't post that often and probably a few i don't know.

I try making it to Budel every year, it's big but the thing that bothers me is that there are lots and lots of standard VWs driving around. And i'm not that much into that. Cal-look scene on the Budel show are mostly German and Belgian cars. Only a few dutch ones. Resto-cal is a lot bigger here.

We have a few shops selling parts for, in my humble opinion, ridiculous prices. That's why i'll be ordering most of my parts for my engine project from the US. And again, German look and T4 engines are more popular to build for them.

I know that JeePee has had his engine built professionally and as far as I've read he's very satisfied with the result. Then this other guy that went to DDD3 and DD4 that you described as Resto-cal - yes he used to run towel rails, but he even raised the rear and runs smart tyres to get max nose down stance:

had his 2110 professionally built, don't know where, but it looks and sounds phenomenal!

Then, there are no cal-look meetings yet, that will need to change  Grin  And meetings i attend are either the big events or so-called aircooled cruise nights and all of the guys i know there are into slamming and narrowing, nice rides though, but when i bought my 67 it was slammed and i drives like shit with all the speed bumps in holland.
Well, this probably also the reason why Dokke has joined a German club, and the others have no club. Perhaps we need to get in touch with the Belgians and join their clubs  Wink  i wouldn't mind they have some nice rides. Just let us know if you're up for that  Wink

So, i suppose the general conclusion here is that we are undervalued  Grin perhaps some of the other dutchies can leave a comment as well. But feel free to ask or say if i missed anything.

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
DVK ~ Der Vollgas Kreuzers
Diederick/DVK

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2006, 16:26:46 pm »

the unattractiveness of this thread resembles the solitude and loneliness of a devotee in the dutch cal-look scene  Cry

Wink

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
ESH

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2006, 16:43:58 pm »

...all of the guys i know there are into slamming and narrowing...

Obviously trying to make them ride like a more familiar form of transport, the bicycle, only with crap steering, and without the stability. Tongue

...the unattractiveness of this thread resembles the solitude and loneliness of a devotee in the dutch cal-look scene...

Sounds desperate!  Shocked  Grin

LuftsickTero

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2006, 17:38:27 pm »

...all of the guys i know there are into slamming and narrowing...

Obviously trying to make them ride like a more familiar form of transport, the bicycle, only with crap steering, and without the stability. Tongue

Hey Mat, when it comes to narrow beams you Brits are way ahead of rest of the world.. It doesn't get any narrower than this one Tongue Grin

| Cal&Resto | Publishing own mediocre Cal Look photos since 1995 in interwebs.
Tim C

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2006, 17:50:07 pm »

Good old Reliant "resto cal" Robin.  Cheesy

I personally like the look of a narrowed beam on a cal look car, nothing excessive, but enough to get the tyre away from the wing. Helps the stance no end as well. Wink

JG54 Greenhearts
ESH

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2006, 17:58:08 pm »

Hey Mat, when it comes to narrow beams you Brits are way ahead of rest of the world.. It doesn't get any narrower than this one Tongue Grin

Seeing that particular modern design masterpiece it occurred to me how long before we see a Resto-Cal with fender skirts on the front?  Tongue

Narrowed beams are for dorks!   Grin
Sander/DVK

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2006, 17:59:37 pm »

Hi Diederick, don't forgot this guy. Wink

Der Vollgas Kreuzers
Tim C

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2006, 18:03:28 pm »

Narrowed beams are for dorks!   Grin

Extreme 5" narrowed jobs I agree, they look very bizarre and when moving down the road make a Bug look like Hovercraft, but a few inches out and a little bit of wheel tuck, looks prety damn good in my book.

Back on topic... this is a cool car...

JG54 Greenhearts
Diederick/DVK

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2006, 19:55:08 pm »

True Sander, that guy has a nice oldspeed engine! Are you gonna raise the back of your car any time soon btw? And are you going to KWF on 6-01-07?

I'm very desperate Mat  Wink  Constantly have to surf the forums abroad to find the rides that tickle my fancy  Grin  But i don't mind! Great people on here.

The blue 64 is very nice, he redid the front end after hitting the back of another car in the rain.
It sports a 2" narrowed beam, with CB brakes and a 2180cc engine. With a nice TMI interior etc.
I think JeePee is on here too. How can we check to get him to respond? Will you do that Sander?

Cheers!

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
Sander/DVK

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2006, 20:59:48 pm »

True Sander, that guy has a nice oldspeed engine! Are you gonna raise the back of your car any time soon btw? And are you going to KWF on 6-01-07?

It already is! Wink He have a really nice wheelstance now. I will upload some pics real soon.

Jeepee have to work, in the weekend he's at home.

Ps. The 1st Dutch Cal-look club is coming! Smiley

Cheers,
Sander

Der Vollgas Kreuzers
Diederick/DVK

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2006, 22:03:36 pm »

It already is! Wink He have a really nice wheelstance now. I will upload some pics real soon.

Jeepee have to work, in the weekend he's at home.

Ps. The 1st Dutch Cal-look club is coming! Smiley

Cheers,
Sander

First club coming up? Keep me posted, who are in it? Count me in  Grin

So, are you coming to KWF on saturday? I'll be there! Let me know

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
Sander/DVK

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2006, 23:12:39 pm »

Hi Diederick, something go wrong with the quote Huh

Yes I'll be there on saterday. See you there! Wink

Der Vollgas Kreuzers
Eddie DVK

« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2006, 23:25:10 pm »

He, you forget mine, Wink

Its a mexican body on a 1973 chassis with the features of a 68-72 beetle.
I stole the color of SOB callook beetle(member here) Fjord bleu, sorry sven!!!!!
It is a body off restoration which took place in 2003/2004.
At this moment it has de wrong wheels and engine.
I am building a engine for it (2.0 typ 4 upright conversion(cali style) with kadron carbs)
And when the cash is there fuchs or gasburners are comming.

Kind regards Eddie

« Last Edit: December 15, 2006, 07:49:38 am by Eddie » Logged

Regards Edgar

" Type 4, it is a completely different engine. You have to drive one to understand! "
Sander/DVK

« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2006, 23:39:25 pm »

Hey Eddie, you find the way to the lounge also?! Cheesy
Nice beetle you have there, only I think that a type4 engine is a big no no for a real callooker Tongue

Cheers,
Sander
« Last Edit: December 14, 2006, 23:41:06 pm by Sander » Logged

Der Vollgas Kreuzers
Eddie DVK

« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2006, 23:44:26 pm »

Sander wrote:
I only think that a type4 engine is a big no no for a real callooker

I know, but it is going to look like a type 1 engine(cali conversion).

Wait and see, and then tell me if you don t like it...I hope it is ready in the summer of 2007..

Kind regards Eddie

PS SOB (big member here) also drives a typ4 upright engine in his car.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2006, 23:53:20 pm by Eddie » Logged

Regards Edgar

" Type 4, it is a completely different engine. You have to drive one to understand! "
ESH

« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2006, 22:09:13 pm »

I think I recognise a couple of those.  Smiley

Diederick/DVK

« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2006, 02:36:41 am »

exactly!

i've only met dokke once, though he's on here too! dutch msg to dokke: hey gozer, als je weer op kwf bent laat ff van je horen!
saw his bug at the very first meeting i attended in may 2004, wasn't into cal-look back then, only looking around. then again first meeting i attended with my beetle - heavily lowered back then - later that year i suddenly really liked the look so much! even though i had never seen such dull rims, though i think differently of it now  Wink  really suits the style... how much can opinions change?  Grin i always have that with girls as well, though i won't elaborate on that haha  Roll Eyes Wink

and michel is a very cool guy, his oval is amazing! traditional tasteful look - though not original -, amazing sound system, but a roaring engine that literally brought up goose bumps when he fired it up!! last year at budel (event) he was cruising around the camping site pimpy stye  Cool and his 2110 sounded so neat. loads of berg parts... amazing car overall!
he's not on any forums, but he's very much into cal-look. though he would get disqualified but the stance police i suppose - as was discussed some time ago -... ps. what should he change else but the smart front tyres?

anyhow, hope the dutch scene is coming up strongly next season!  Grin

good night  Wink

michel at DDD3 in 2005:

yes it sported bumpers back then, and ever since he has even increased the rake by raising the rear! and he swapped his muffler and rear lights for stainless steel and red lights.

« Last Edit: December 16, 2006, 02:43:43 am by 67-indeed » Logged

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2006, 04:22:33 am »

ps. what should he change else but the smart front tyres?

The front turn signals!!! Shave them or get the correct bullets!!! Just my opinion!!!

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
JeePee/DVK

« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2006, 09:52:02 am »

I'm very desperate Mat  Wink  Constantly have to surf the forums abroad to find the rides that tickle my fancy  Grin  But i don't mind! Great people on here.

The blue 64 is very nice, he redid the front end after hitting the back of another car in the rain.
It sports a 2" narrowed beam, with CB brakes and a 2180cc engine. With a nice TMI interior etc.
I think JeePee is on here too. How can we check to get him to respond? Will you do that Sander?

Cheers!

Hi Diederik,
I am a Int.truckdriver.
So I only react in the weekend.
ABC tuning built mine engine.(abctuning.nl)
But don.t forget Hotrod,that is a good tunner aswell.
It is nice that you asked of the dutch scene Tero,do you like it?
Grtz:JeePee.

PS.How far are you Jesse?He is waiting for lowered spindels?

Type 1 1964 2276cc IDA with Berg-5
Diederick/DVK

« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2006, 11:40:38 am »

The front turn signals!!! Shave them or get the correct bullets!!! Just my opinion!!!

you're right! didn't think of that... it's a US version so it should have those tits or whatever they're called...

Hi Diederik,
I am a Int.truckdriver.
So I only react in the weekend.
ABC tuning built mine engine.(abctuning.nl)
But don.t forget Hotrod,that is a good tunner aswell.
It is nice that you asked of the dutch scene Tero,do you like it?
Grtz:JeePee.

Hi JeePee, i suppose you didn't mind me posting pics of your 64 here. was i right about the specs?
And from what i've heard big plans are in the making, but we'll meet in rosmalen, right?

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
JeePee/DVK

« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2006, 11:45:21 am »

Hi JeePee, i suppose you didn't mind me posting pics of your 64 here. was i right about the specs?
And from what i've heard big plans are in the making, but we'll meet in rosmalen, right?

Big plans?I don't know?

Diederick/DVK

« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2006, 11:47:55 am »

i was referring to the dutch cal-look club plans

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
JeePee/DVK

« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2006, 11:53:48 am »

i was referring to the dutch cal-look club plans

That has to be a secret Lips Sealed

Jesse/DVK

'64 2176cc

« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2006, 20:55:22 pm »

Well it's not a true cal looker yet. But i'll post a pic of my 64 beetle. I just bought it 3 months ago, i'm still waiting on the dropped spindles Sad.  I know the extra chrome bits aren't cal look but I think that if I remove them there will be a lot of shitty paint under it.

Old mirror I found in my grandmothers garage.

I don't think my car will be a real cal looker but I love the nose down stance and the influence of 50's hot rods. But I also like period accesoires like roof racks etc.

Der Vollgas Kreuzers
Sander/DVK

« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2006, 18:34:26 pm »

Here's my car with my brothers car behind.
I'm still in doubt about the backwheel stance..

Der Vollgas Kreuzers
Tobi/DFL

« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2006, 20:32:15 pm »

Hi Sander,
don´t worry about the stance - I think it´s perfect! Cool
BTW: I like the way you polished your Pedrinis!
Bye,

Tobi
Sander/DVK

« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2006, 20:47:47 pm »

Thnx Tobi! Smiley

Der Vollgas Kreuzers
Jordy/DVK

« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2006, 23:15:28 pm »

Hmmz... I think we have to unite the Dutch Cal-Look freaks to get more people into Cal-Look...
 If only we could make the spiral go upward and create some interest for the look that would be a huge leap forward...

Proud member of:
  "The Full-Throttle Cruisers"

1951 medium brown splitwindow beetle (resto in progress)
1968 Cal-look(-a-like) (my daily driver)
Diederick/DVK

« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2006, 23:25:30 pm »

Hmmz... I think we have to unite the Dutch Cal-Look freaks to get more people into Cal-Look...
 If only we could make the spiral go upward and create some interest for the look that would be a huge leap forward...

i know what you mean jordy, if only we had a little more cal-look love in holland...
guys, let's get together on saturday the 6th, have a beer at kwf and a good chat  Wink

your stance looks pretty good sander, what kind of tyres are you running?
your brother's looker looks pretty cool too! slightly higher tyres than the smart would really sort the look  Grin

cheers,
Diederick

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: