The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 05, 2024, 08:52:16 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
351094 Posts in 28640 Topics by 6846 Members
Latest Member: JamesBoyd
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  another "won't work" engine
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: another "won't work" engine  (Read 9035 times)
Jim Ratto

« on: February 25, 2009, 20:59:44 pm »

wait and see how the next project works out (or doesn't). Sheep's revamp.

Who's modded a 30PICT for HP?

Grin
Dave Rosique

nobodyouno

« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2009, 21:31:31 pm »

No heavy mods, but years ago I built a dual port 1776 for a Baja Bug with a stock 30pict1. The owner was an older guy and he did not want to deal with anything complicated. All I did was ream the acc pump nozzle, bump up the main (150-160??) left the emelsion tube alone and ran it with a stock vacuum distributor and heat riser. It worked! The engine made decent power, had good torque with no flat spots. 

~DR.
Jim Ratto

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2009, 21:48:05 pm »

Sheep's is a little hairier.  Roll Eyes   Cool
I have my own ideas of how to get the most out of it, but my ideas are going to have to wait for a later time (fab a 40mm tube manifold under a single 40IDF center mounted, to feed 1600 single port heads)
Originally it was going to be 88 x 74, dual Solex 40PII's of a Super 90, square ported 40 x 35 heads, 297 duration Engle cam, Scat 1.4, and a healthy dose of el compresso.
Carbs were beyond my scope of effort to make them work, Sheep doesn't want to be married to always tuning on them, and we want to revert to even "older skool" technology that maybe only Sarge can relate to  Grin Grin...back to basics.
So the single ports, as once planned, long ago, are going on this motor, as is the Solex 30PICT. The merged 1-5/8" didn't make sense any more either, nor would it work with the stock intake manifold, so it was sold. Nope, this is going to be an interesting project... much more back to roots than before. Personally, I'm looking at what the combination of cam and the one metering signal is going to do, but I know other cars have run (well) fed by 1bbl and with a little valve timing cranked into them. Most British stuff....  Roll Eyes
I think the larger ID manifold, and a barrel to feed each bank would go miles in making this REALLY work, but we will see.
The Ideaman

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2009, 21:53:55 pm »

Scott Sebastian of Metalcraft just dyno'd his 1600 for his class 11 car, and it made 85hp through a 30pict on CB's dyno.

<object width="480" height="295"><param name="movie" value=" <a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/8_Ua_rNGwFI" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/8_Ua_rNGwFI</a>"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src=" <a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/8_Ua_rNGwFI" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/8_Ua_rNGwFI</a>" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="295"></embed></object>
His is the flat  black one with the green "Monster" on the doors.

It is the soldier,
Who salutes the flag,
Who serves beneath the flag,
And whose coffin is draped in the flag,
Who allows the protestor to burn the flag.

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2009, 22:08:01 pm »

there´s a company in Vaterland that produces performance engines over 2000cc with modded Solex carbs

http://www.rbernauer.de/php/content.php?action=content&id=45
Donny B.

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2009, 22:13:22 pm »

Joel Mohr did a single Kadron on a daily driven engine.  You might get in touch with him.  It seemed to work well.

Don Bulitta
Wolfsburg Registry
Jim Ratto

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2009, 22:16:40 pm »

not so much the displacement I am wringing my hands about.... I know the Solex will work on 1800cc, just wondering how cranky this thing is goign to be with all that reversion going back and forth in that little straw of a manifold and one metering signal.

This is going to be a wierd one. should rate high on the WTF scale. And the antique-cool bit will be neat too. Solex 30PICT, with IDA velocity stack, very fresh 010, Santana pulley, stock 1300 tins/ fan housing, few little tricks here and there. Where can I find a repro Abarth muffler for a 1600 based motor?

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2009, 22:25:20 pm »

Not sure about Abarth, but you can get a 1300/1500 Okrasa exhaust here: http://www.btinternet.com/~pre67vw/4_Tip_Muffler.htm
Jim Ratto

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2009, 22:58:38 pm »

Not sure about Abarth, but you can get a 1300/1500 Okrasa exhaust here: http://www.btinternet.com/~pre67vw/4_Tip_Muffler.htm

that's nice! Thanks for the link,
alex d

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2009, 23:26:10 pm »

there must be someway to make the venturi larger right? if not you can always use a 28 PCI and throw away the vent altogheter, Formula Vee style!
Jim Ratto

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2009, 01:07:16 am »

Ideally I would like to adapt a 38 or 40DCOE Weber, center mounted (in same position as you typical 2bbl on a VW) on a custom tubular manifold that feeds each bank (one venturi per bank).
For now, we'll give the stock carb a shot.

so this time around it will be 88 x 74 (1800cc), factory single port 1600 heads, HD springs, SS valves, shooting for 8.0-8.2:1, Engle V26, 1.4 rockers, Bosch 010, Solex 30mm with stack, heat exchangers, some type of 4 into one header, 6lb flywheel.

Sheep: No guarantees.
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2009, 01:47:23 am »

Jim, I'm guessing that he doesn't want dual single throat carbs, yes? If so, I thought there was a company that offered manifolds and linkage for dual stock Type 1 Solexes. Although I could be mistaken and that was merely a custom owner fabbed deal.

The single dual throat Weber is another neat idea. They work great for big off-road engines, as we all know. Whether they're single or dual port. I know how much you loathe the single throat 34ICT Webers, but I gotta admit... I'm very happy with mine. They've been on my car for almost a year and they've been great. My temporary engine is either 1500 or 1600cc with single port heads. It came in the car when I bought it... so I have no idea what the displacement is.

At any rate, the engine that you're trying to achieve sounds pretty cool. Can't wait to hear what you guys end up with.

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
58vw

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2009, 01:53:20 am »

hey jim.......that will not work! Roll Eyes

www.4inbore.com
Angleflows...order them now
Jim Ratto

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2009, 01:58:55 am »

Jim, I'm guessing that he doesn't want dual single throat carbs, yes? If so, I thought there was a company that offered manifolds and linkage for dual stock Type 1 Solexes. Although I could be mistaken and that was merely a custom owner fabbed deal.

The single dual throat Weber is another neat idea. They work great for big off-road engines, as we all know. Whether they're single or dual port. I know how much you loathe the single throat 34ICT Webers, but I gotta admit... I'm very happy with mine. They've been on my car for almost a year and they've been great. My temporary engine is either 1500 or 1600cc with single port heads. It came in the car when I bought it... so I have no idea what the displacement is.

At any rate, the engine that you're trying to achieve sounds pretty cool. Can't wait to hear what you guys end up with.

Hey Mark, I'm sorry to publicly bag on your carbs. It's not a personal thing. I know they work ok. I had a worn out set on my beloved '71 Bus, that the previous owner installed. The throttle shafts were worn real bad and they just always ran like crap, and that is what I remember about what I call "Phase One" of my life with that Bus. "Phase Two" started when I put Kadrons (that i got for free for helping this guy named Chef Joseph put Weber 44's on his Bus, he gave the kadrons as a thank you) and "Phase Two" was a much happier time. The Kad's ran freaking great.

Anyway, no we decided against dual carbs because Frank likes to fish, and enjoy his life. When we were younger, we lived real close to one another, and he ran 48IDAs, and when they needed tweaking, he'd cruise by my place or me by his. Life was easy. There's an old story around here somewhere about him bringin it over to my parents' for a venturi swap, and him later that night taking my lil' sis out in the car after we got it running real well. Too well. He left my parents' place with front shocks skyed, muffler dragging, and with my sis in the car. In plain sight of my dad.
But now a days we live 6 hr apart. So simplicity is best now. It really should be a "set it and forget it" thing.

I bought a set of brand new Solex 32 PDSIT's when I worked @ Buggy House, we got them from Overland Parts way back then... those were awesome carbs. I put them on my at the time girlfriend's Squareback (1776 low CR stock cam/heads, balance job, CW crank, 911 adjusters, 009, full flow) and it ran PERFECT. 33mpg was common.
stealth67vw

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2009, 03:36:16 am »

Does Frank have his heads yet?

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=747202

John Bates
JB Machining Services
1967 street bug 2020lbs w/driver
12.34 @ 108 mph 1/4
7.76 @ 89mph 1/8
Rennsurfer

« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2009, 09:14:56 am »

Hey Mark, I'm sorry to publicly bag on your carbs. It's not a personal thing. 

No worries at all, Jim. Doesn't bother me in the least. In fact, when I was looking for something to put on my stock engine, I was actually looking for Kadrons. I ran 'em in the early '80s and they ran hard. I just got tired of seeing the lame high prices of single port manifolds that we used to throw away because we couldn't give 'em away. So when my friend had a brand new set of ICTs for $200, I had to jump on it because I'm on a very tight shoestring budget. I make fun of my carbs, a lot. But joking aside, I'm very happy with them and never expected them to be so reliable, smooth running, and decent power.

Jayburn set 'em up for me and they're still hangin' in there. I used the Redline crossbar type linkage and I'm real happy with the overall performance. For a stocker, it pegs the speedometer, pulls hard, and at least the car can get out of it's own way now. One of these days, I'll have a built engine and transmission in my '67. But the way the economy is going... I don't see that happening for a long time.

Is Sheep's engine going in a full bodied street car? Bus? Baja? I can understand his passion for fishing... before I got my new job, I fished a LOT when I wasn't at the skateparks or surfing. Nothing like catching dinner or lunch and making ceviche. His wanting an engine that he doesn't want to mess with on a regular basis makes sense. Again, I hope you both get what you're looking for.

~Sarge
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2009, 13:26:35 pm »

How about a bugspray? I got a 250 I will send you for the price of shipping.  Smiley

--louis

Louis Brooks

The Beatings Will Continue Until Moral Improves!
Dave Rosique

nobodyouno

« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2009, 15:17:09 pm »

I helped a guy convert an old isolated tube Zenith single port intake to fit a Kadron... sort of a backward "merge" if you will... it worked pretty good.
Speaking of Zenith, how about a single or dual Zenith set-up? I've always liked the "set it and forget it" you get from a Zenith. On my latest Baja motor (78.4 X 94) I'm going to run dual Zenith's with Berg linkage and S&S german manifolds... old school for an old guy Grin

~DR.
Dave Galassi

« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2009, 16:54:50 pm »

Jim, there's a guy that shows up at Drag Days in a late model tan standard beetle that runs 13's (in the 1/4) with  a PICT.  I wish I could remember his name, but his car has writing on it that states that he is running that carb.  Maybe a post would flush him out if he is on here or the other site.  Impressive performance. 
Dare to be Different.
Jim Ratto

« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2009, 17:10:09 pm »

Dare to be Different.

Remember, this IS Sheep. I think he has that covered no matter which carb he runs.  Grin
alex d

« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2009, 17:11:14 pm »

Jim, there's a guy that shows up at Drag Days in a late model tan standard beetle that runs 13's (in the 1/4) with  a PICT.  I wish I could remember his name, but his car has writing on it that states that he is running that carb.  Maybe a post would flush him out if he is on here or the other site.  Impressive performance. 
Dare to be Different.

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
stealth67vw

« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2009, 17:27:18 pm »

Dare to be Different.
His name is James Arredondo. He posts under PICTpower on the other forum.

John Bates
JB Machining Services
12.34 @ 108 mph 1/4
7.76 @ 89mph 1/8
Jim Ratto

« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2009, 17:38:03 pm »

hard to see, but looks like it is running dual port end castings.

My only worry is duration of this cam "confusing" the stock carb. I was up early this morning mulling it over. Looks like some of the class 1/2 1600 cams run a fair amount of duration, with solex carb.

Stock cam is 214' @ .050. I think this V26 is in the ~250' @ .050 range. I'm trying to convince myself that the extra cubes (thru stroke) are going to soak up some of that duration, and the extra cc is gonna send some good pull up to the carb.

Mark, yeah it's going in a otherwise stock '66 Bug... not really a "cal look" thing but more of a stone age, pre-cal look car, sort of like the Greg Bunch DKP 1 car that ran the wide Chevy/VW rims and Anchor Headers. I think Frank has kind of been bitten by the Sodd Look fever too.

Anybody know of a Pepco? hahahahahah 
Dave Rosique

nobodyouno

« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2009, 18:02:29 pm »

Jim,

Do you need vintage cams??

How about a Revmaster 22? Howard H2 or H4? Norris?

I've got a box full of this stuff Grin

~DR.
Jim Ratto

« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2009, 18:30:47 pm »

Jim,

Do you need vintage cams??

How about a Revmaster 22? Howard H2 or H4? Norris?

I've got a box full of this stuff Grin

~DR.
Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Grin
I don't think Sheep wants me to experiment any longer... had we just gone the single port route from the get go and with stock carb, back when this project started in Dec 2006, he'd probably need it rebuilt already, 
But thanks, maybe in the future when I want to do something weird again,
Torben Alstrup

« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2009, 01:04:31 am »

I am not familiar with the V26. - Is it a ratio rocker version of the VZ25? Anyway, 250 @ 0,050 is way too much for a street engine in that set up. And the CR is too low. But you are on the right track with good lift. I would go no futher than a Web 218/119 along with 8,5 -8,6 -1 CR. And even that one will make it idle rough. Too much duration, like the VZ25 or similar will make it run like crap where you need it for everyday driving, and come on like a banshee once it hits 3500 rpm and will fall off again at maybe 4500. Not a good choice. You need to make the engine pull where it "likes" to be. The extra cc´s will help you to some extend because of the extra airspeed, but it will not over come that much duration.
T
stealth67vw

« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2009, 01:49:34 am »

A V-26 is a ratio rocker cam close to a W110.

John Bates
JB Machining Services
12.34 @ 108 mph 1/4
7.76 @ 89mph 1/8
Rennsurfer

« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2009, 08:54:01 am »

Jim, there's a guy that shows up at Drag Days in a late model tan standard beetle that runs 13's (in the 1/4) with  a PICT. 

Now THAT is awesome, Dave. I'd like to witness that, in person. Heck, there are a lot of Weber engines that won't do 13 seconds in the ¼ mile.

~Sarge
stealth67vw

« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2009, 17:38:38 pm »

I've seen it run 14.0s at Sacramento and it sounds pretty mean.

John Bates
JB Machining Services
12.34 @ 108 mph 1/4
7.76 @ 89mph 1/8
Jim Ratto

« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2009, 17:52:09 pm »

I am not familiar with the V26. - Is it a ratio rocker version of the VZ25? Anyway, 250 @ 0,050 is way too much for a street engine in that set up. And the CR is too low. But you are on the right track with good lift. I would go no futher than a Web 218/119 along with 8,5 -8,6 -1 CR. And even that one will make it idle rough. Too much duration, like the VZ25 or similar will make it run like crap where you need it for everyday driving, and come on like a banshee once it hits 3500 rpm and will fall off again at maybe 4500. Not a good choice. You need to make the engine pull where it "likes" to be. The extra cc´s will help you to some extend because of the extra airspeed, but it will not over come that much duration.
T

I'm going to look for a ratio rocker cam with about 230-240' @ .050. I think you're right, and I hate to build something with a window of power 1000rpm long
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: