The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 15:08:17 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350645 Posts in 28563 Topics by 6811 Members
Latest Member: Bren
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Cruisin Whittier Blvd. Stories Thread....
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print
Author Topic: Cruisin Whittier Blvd. Stories Thread....  (Read 37085 times)
low oval
DKK

« on: March 13, 2009, 09:16:54 am »

There has to be some great stories about cruisin the blvd.  I don't know when the cruising started but it had to be in the 50's or early 60's and went all the way up to the baracade of the late 70's and then the lights went out some time in the 80's.
I lived by the shell station on strub, the cars cruising north would turn up my street and turn around at my house which was on the corner of a cul da sac.  Those v8's would rattle the windows of my bedroom, the kids would be partying and having a blast,  couldn't wait till i could join in.  It could take over a hour to travel about 2 miles on a friday or saturday night.  You never knew what would happen those nights, street race between signals, full on drag races on santa fe springs rd, meet some girls, do some partying, get in some fights, etc..
jim

"and that's when the cops showed up"
low oval
DKK

« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2009, 09:23:12 am »

here's the only photo i have of those days, summer of 1978 dkk club at ralphs on colima and whittier prior to going for a cruise.

Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2009, 11:09:26 am »

Very educational photo: bras, Rivieras, Buggy bars and Type 3 panel... Cool Cool

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
wolfswest

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2009, 14:15:31 pm »

nice photo.  Let the stories and pictures flow please!  Shocked

JPS NACIONAL kameraderie - HDB Syndicate.
nicolas

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2009, 14:21:38 pm »

Very educational photo: bras, Rivieras, Buggy bars and Type 3 panel... Cool Cool

couldn't agree more with you this time.
deano

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2009, 16:26:20 pm »

Oh, yeah, I cruised Bob's Big Boy (Slob's) from '66 to '75ish starting from La Habra and turning around in Pico Rivera somewhere. Burned up a ton of gas on that street. I still have my Bob's car hop menu from 1967 in my office (95 cents for a Big Boy combo)... Lotta races (and tickets) going back towards Beach Blvd, as we passed Stick City. Very few fast VWs around that neck of the woods back then. Got into a massive accident late one Friday afternoon, driving towards Whittier, on Whittier Blvd., in my Mom's 1963 Buick Station Wagon. I was picking up my 1835cc short block at Jay Steele's shop, when some lady pulled out from a cross street and I T-boned her big time! Smashed the Buick up to the windshield, and creamed her driver's door. She continued on and smashed into Lee Wood VW's front showroom plate glass. No one was hurt, but screwed up traffic for hours, and didn't do much for the 'ol Buick either. The guys at Lee Wood were cheering me on!
« Last Edit: March 13, 2009, 17:10:44 pm by deano » Logged

Hot VWs Magazine Window Washer
Anglia Obsolete Guru
'67 Heaven
Shubee2 (DSK)

"There's No School Like OLD SCHOOL"

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2009, 16:35:00 pm »

Oh, yeah, I cruised Bob's Big Boy (Slob's) from '66 to '75ish starting from La Habra and turning around in Pico Rivera somewhere. Burned up a ton of gas on that street. I still have my Bob's car hop menu from 1967 in my office (95 cents for a Big Boy combo)... Lotta races (and tickets) going back towards Beach Blvd, as we passed Stick City. Very few fast VWs around that neck of the woods back then. Got into a massive accident late one Friday afternoon, driving towards Whittier, on Whittier Blvd., in my Mom's 1963 Buick Station Wagon. I was picking up my 1835cc short block at Jay Steel's shop, when some lady pulled out from a cross street and I T-boned her big time! Smashed the Buick up to the windshield, and creamed her driver's door. She continued on and smashed into Lee Wood VW's front showroom plate glass. No one was hurt, but screwed up traffic for hours, and didn't do much for the 'ol Buick either. The guys at Lee Wood were cheering me on!
Hi Deano was just Reading this and Saw you Mentioned Jay Steel  I dont know how well you knew Jay But he just Passed away two Weeks ago he had been sick over a year he was a Great Guy and knew his shit when it came to machine work he did all the machine work on my 67 nova 327 and  some of my Vw stuff.

Der Selten Kafers VW Club.
Founding Member Est: 1976

58 Ragtop Old School Cal Look
66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
deano

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2009, 17:21:03 pm »

No, I did not know that sad fact. Jay always took the time to explain things lot to me, even when I was more confused then ever. He helped me a lot in those early days.

Anglia Obsolete Guru
'67 Heaven
low oval
DKK

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2009, 20:06:04 pm »

I remember stick city, they were on the corner of whittier and ocean view.  they had some cool muscle cars back then. They moved out toward's la habra accross from the whittwood mall, at one time they had a few super birds on their lot, I remember checking those cars out thinking they why did they ruin a bitchin looking charger and make that thing with the wing?  I think they were selling them for 2500.00 at the time.  Street Rods moved into where Stick City was, and I remember they had some real bad ass cars in there. 
One night in the summer of 78 I was cruising the blvd. in my red 70 bug (riviera's, zenith carb, ss header, buggy bar), when a bunch other cal look bugs were going the opposite direction,  jeffery hickens waved for me and my buddy (he had a red 70 chevelle with a 396) to follow them, so I did a u turn and caught up.  We went to santa fe springs rd, where these 2 bugs were going to race.  A yellow late model vs a primer blue early one.  prior to when they started there were 4 head lamps facing us, but when the race began 2 disapeared, I still remember wondering what happened to the other set of lamps, when they started bouncing.  I don't remember who won the race, they raced a few times that night but the hook was set with me for wanting a fast bug.  Neither of us could believe what we had just seen and talked about it for the next couple of weeks.  the guy with the blue bug was trying to get his bug into the 10's, which he eventually did, then he followed up on his promise and cut it up into a baja.

here's the only photo i have of those days, summer of 1978 dkk club at ralphs on colima and whittier prior to going for a cruise.

blue car, jim bell, got me my job at auto craft machine in la habra
tan car, i think is jeffery hickens
other blue car is ken white's 55
panel at the end is steve vale's.

johnl

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2009, 20:10:36 pm »

Oh, yeah, I cruised Bob's Big Boy (Slob's) from '66 to '75ish starting from La Habra and turning around in Pico Rivera somewhere. Burned up a ton of gas on that street. I still have my Bob's car hop menu from 1967 in my office (95 cents for a Big Boy combo)... Lotta races (and tickets) going back towards Beach Blvd, as we passed Stick City. Very few fast VWs around that neck of the woods back then. Got into a massive accident late one Friday afternoon, driving towards Whittier, on Whittier Blvd., in my Mom's 1963 Buick Station Wagon. I was picking up my 1835cc short block at Jay Steele's shop, when some lady pulled out from a cross street and I T-boned her big time! Smashed the Buick up to the windshield, and creamed her driver's door. She continued on and smashed into Lee Wood VW's front showroom plate glass. No one was hurt, but screwed up traffic for hours, and didn't do much for the 'ol Buick either. The guys at Lee Wood were cheering me on!

I ate those Bob's combos and extra burgers like it was my last meal.  It's a wonder I didn't die of a heart attack right on the spot.  Still love them, but only do a couple a month.   Angry Angry Angry  I still remember sitting across from Jim and Sharon inside and she would ALWAYS get the bean soup, which usually started us giggling. Shocked Shocked Shocked

John L.

Volkswagens Limited, Der Kleiner Panzers Founder Member
Celebrating 60 years of Volkswagens in my life 1963-2023

Life is a learning experience and then you die but when you do you've lived a good life if you contributed to your fellow man.
bilboa2

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2009, 20:24:55 pm »

stiick city was IT.. you would see a straight axel 55 chevy to blown t-buckets there. Spent many a night there cruiz'n,especially during the "van" days. How about the famous stories of the hot chick in the vette that said on the lisc plate frame," If you can beat me your can eat me...." great cruiz'n time when there was ALOT of hot cars on the street.bill
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2009, 23:34:42 pm »

Excellent thread, Jim! As much as I took my cameras everywhere... you'd think I would've had the sense to shoot some Whittier Bvld. pics. NOPE. Way too many fun stories and great memories from that wonderful place and time. One of those ended up in Keith's new Cal Look book. Thank you, Keith!

Every Friday and Saturday night (unless there was a VW event going down), I was cruising the place. I'd get there shortly after sunset. Always park on Painter and Whittier at Der Weinerschnitzel. They had kick-ass french fries. So I'd get a rockstar parking spot on the very corner, get my food, walk over to the market (Ralph's?) nearby and grab a candy bar. I'd get receipts for all of the above. Almost every night, some pissed off cop would roll up to my car and start walking around it. Most likely angry 'cause we were having innocent fun while enjoying our cars and they were not. One night, a motorcycle one approached me as I was sitting on my front driver's side fender, eating my food. He asked why I was loitering. I laughed and told him that he could never prove that I was. Talk about disrupting the hornets' nest. HAHA!! Next, he walked to the back of my car and I followed him. He feverishly tried to open my decklid. I said, "HEY! Do you have a search warrant to do that?!?" He told me that he didn't need one. He raised his voice and was starting to get really irate. Then he went on to say that I had illegal exhaust, headlights too low, no front license plate and I was harboring more illegal engine modifications under the decklid. He kept insisting that I open it up. Finally, I got rid of him by showing him my two receipts for the food that I was still eating. Then, I told him that I was doing nothing wrong and I was on private property. He threatened, "I'll see out on the street and you'll be sorry!" He sped away and I waved & said, "Okay, Officer... do have a nice night, ya hear?"

On a different night, another motorcycle cop pulled in the lot. Got off of his bike, walked over to my car and started to put his boot on my bumper. I yelled at him to back away from my car. He went around to the decklid to open it. Again, with my search warrant smartass comment. This did NOT set well with him. HAHA!! He walked up to me and started jamming his index finger into my chest, hard. I grabbed his finger and took it away from me and said, "Keep your hands off of me... I'm not doing anything wrong and I'm on private property. You have NO right to touch me or my car. When you see me doing something wrong, you can ticket me." He asked why I had no respect for a law enforcement agent. I said, "Because my own parents have never physically done that to me, so what makes you think that you can bully innocent people, minding their own business?" He was pissed and sped away.

Absolutely disturbing that cops like that think they're God almighty and abuse their rights. Meanwhile, real crime is taking place.

But, the law of averages had finally caught to me and I was actually issued a "Loitering" ticket, down the street. After the cop gave me the ticket. I reached in my club jacket pocket and pulled out my receipt for the soda I was drinking. Showed it to the guy, ripped up the ticket into tiny pieces. He said, "I'll see you in COURT!!!" Naturally, nothing happened and I never got the lovely pleasure of seeing that nice man in Court. Gosh darn it all to heck, I'll tell ya what.

Anyhow, please keep the Whittier Blvd. cruise stuff flowing. Me likey!

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
Jason Foster

7.69 87mph 12.35 106 mph

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2009, 05:46:41 am »

TGFYM

gosh darn it all to heck,I'll tell you what.....

classic.    carry on please.

STRENGTH THROUGH JOY...........

Der Kleiner Panzers
edcraig

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2009, 06:02:50 am »

I lived just a few blocks from Whittier Blvd.  I started crusing back in 1967, even before I could drive.  I had a friend with a Triiumph Spitfire and we'd go there almost every nite during the summer.  That was my first real exposer to VW's and VW Clubs.  Der Volkswaffe and the Volkschargers were the two major Clubs in the area, with Der Volkswaffe being the larger of the two.  Back then they had 100 cars in their club. 

I got my first VW in 1969, and jojned the Volkschargers.  If I rememeber correctly, Der Volswaffe had a age limit of 18.  I was still 16 so went for what I though was my only other option and joned the Volkschargers.  Had no idea of all the other clubs just a few miles south in the OC.

Crusing Whiitter Blvd back then was huge.  It was on every nite during the summer months, and any weekend, year round.  It was really the hub of car culture activity in So Cal back then.
WCB Hitler's Hot Rod

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2009, 07:30:11 am »

Hey Deano, are you missing a bowling ball? Angry Grin Grin

WARNING! BE PREPARED FOR A ROLLING BLACKOUT.

West Coast Blitz... "Motha Sucka!"

You may have some Swag, but I OWN da Swagoo!!

This right here is my 'lil Nazi-killa!
OgCalLook

Straight outa Riverside!

« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2009, 16:37:52 pm »

Excellent thread, Jim! As much as I took my cameras everywhere... you'd think I would've had the sense to shoot some Whittier Bvld. pics. NOPE. Way too many fun stories and great memories from that wonderful place and time. One of those ended up in Keith's new Cal Look book. Thank you, Keith!

Every Friday and Saturday night (unless there was a VW event going down), I was cruising the place. I'd get there shortly after sunset. Always park on Painter and Whittier at Der Weinerschnitzel. They had kick-ass french fries. So I'd get a rockstar parking spot on the very corner, get my food, walk over to the market (Ralph's?) nearby and grab a candy bar. I'd get receipts for all of the above. Almost every night, some pissed off cop would roll up to my car and start walking around it. Most likely angry 'cause we were having innocent fun while enjoying our cars and they were not. One night, a motorcycle one approached me as I was sitting on my front driver's side fender, eating my food. He asked why I was loitering. I laughed and told him that he could never prove that I was. Talk about disrupting the hornets' nest. HAHA!! Next, he walked to the back of my car and I followed him. He feverishly tried to open my decklid. I said, "HEY! Do you have a search warrant to do that?!?" He told me that he didn't need one. He raised his voice and was starting to get really irate. Then he went on to say that I had illegal exhaust, headlights too low, no front license plate and I was harboring more illegal engine modifications under the decklid. He kept insisting that I open it up. Finally, I got rid of him by showing him my two receipts for the food that I was still eating. Then, I told him that I was doing nothing wrong and I was on private property. He threatened, "I'll see out on the street and you'll be sorry!" He sped away and I waved & said, "Okay, Officer... do have a nice night, ya hear?"

On a different night, another motorcycle cop pulled in the lot. Got off of his bike, walked over to my car and started to put his boot on my bumper. I yelled at him to back away from my car. He went around to the decklid to open it. Again, with my search warrant smartass comment. This did NOT set well with him. HAHA!! He walked up to me and started jamming his index finger into my chest, hard. I grabbed his finger and took it away from me and said, "Keep your hands off of me... I'm not doing anything wrong and I'm on private property. You have NO right to touch me or my car. When you see me doing something wrong, you can ticket me." He asked why I had no respect for a law enforcement agent. I said, "Because my own parents have never physically done that to me, so what makes you think that you can bully innocent people, minding their own business?" He was pissed and sped away.

Absolutely disturbing that cops like that think they're God almighty and abuse their rights. Meanwhile, real crime is taking place.

But, the law of averages had finally caught to me and I was actually issued a "Loitering" ticket, down the street. After the cop gave me the ticket. I reached in my club jacket pocket and pulled out my receipt for the soda I was drinking. Showed it to the guy, ripped up the ticket into tiny pieces. He said, "I'll see you in COURT!!!" Naturally, nothing happened and I never got the lovely pleasure of seeing that nice man in Court. Gosh darn it all to heck, I'll tell ya what.

Anyhow, please keep the Whittier Blvd. cruise stuff flowing. Me likey!

Great Story Fred!! Question authority!!

Tom Hewitson
Bahama Blau Kafer

Zach Gomulka: "California Look is walking softly and carrying a big fucking stick."
deano

« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2009, 00:48:31 am »

[/quote]

Oh, boy, that's a story in itself... a new application for rental bowling balls. We were lucky that we didn't kill someone or get thrown in jail!

Anglia Obsolete Guru
'67 Heaven
Dave Rosique

nobodyouno

« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2009, 00:55:30 am »

Oh, boy, that's a story in itself... a new application for rental bowling balls. We were lucky that we didn't kill someone or get thrown in jail!
[/quote]

Go ahead and tell the story Deano! (Remember to change the names to protect the guilty Wink)

~DR.
deano

« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2009, 03:43:08 am »

Okay then.... There was this guy  Grin, who hung around some other guys  Cool who all had nothing to do one Saturday night in La Habra then to get into trouble. About 10:00pm, someone, somewhere hit a telephone pole (not them) and took out the power in most of La Habra, especially around the 300 Bowling Alley (Whittier Blvd, and Cypress). So, this gang decided to visit the bowling alley to see what everyone was doing with no lights on. Once inside, all they found was a bunch of drunks, so these guys decided to steal some bowling balls. One guy grabbed a few balls, while the others opened the main doors, so they could be "bowled" out into the parking lot... Get the picture? The balls were then loaded up into the get-away car, a 1969 Chevy 396/4sp/375hp Chevelle (fast car!). With balls and gang on board, they drove around looking for places to deposit them. The first move was to throw a ball out the side window about 40mph on Imperial Blvd. and Euclid Street, near a construction job site, where it shot right through a wooden shack like a hot knife through butter. Nice. Then, ball #2 was thrown out on Harbor Blvd. going about 50mph where it hit the curb and bounced back and hit the S/S hub cap of this same car! Ouch! Driver was not happy. So, they decided that there needed to be more speed for the third and final ball toss. With that, they blazed up Fullerton Road at full speed and threw the ball out the driver's side window (going about 65mph+). The ball quickly passed the Chevelle, tore across the opposite lanes, hit the corner curb (on Arbolita Drive) and shot up in the air, and cleared the roof of this house! This 16-lb. ball went out of sight into the darkness.... Our gang got the hell out of there in a hurry. They later wondered what those people did when they found a bowling ball in the backyard, doing untold amount of damage.... Of course, this is only a wild tale that was told in third person, and did not include anyone from this forum....  Grin

Anglia Obsolete Guru
'67 Heaven
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2009, 05:16:43 am »

HAHA!! Awesome, Deano! Thanks for sharing. Seems like bowling balls certainly find their ways into becoming the nucleus of many pranks.

Grin

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
vwxtc4free

« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2009, 17:18:50 pm »

Okay then.... There was this guy  Grin, who hung around some other guys  Cool who all had nothing to do one Saturday night in La Habra then to get into trouble. About 10:00pm, someone, somewhere hit a telephone pole (not them) and took out the power in most of La Habra, especially around the 300 Bowling Alley (Whittier Blvd, and Cypress). So, this gang decided to visit the bowling alley to see what everyone was doing with no lights on. Once inside, all they found was a bunch of drunks, so these guys decided to steal some bowling balls. One guy grabbed a few balls, while the others opened the main doors, so they could be "bowled" out into the parking lot... Get the picture? The balls were then loaded up into the get-away car, a 1969 Chevy 396/4sp/375hp Chevelle (fast car!). With balls and gang on board, they drove around looking for places to deposit them. The first move was to throw a ball out the side window about 40mph on Imperial Blvd. and Euclid Street, near a construction job site, where it shot right through a wooden shack like a hot knife through butter. Nice. Then, ball #2 was thrown out on Harbor Blvd. going about 50mph where it hit the curb and bounced back and hit the S/S hub cap of this same car! Ouch! Driver was not happy. So, they decided that there needed to be more speed for the third and final ball toss. With that, they blazed up Fullerton Road at full speed and threw the ball out the driver's side window (going about 65mph+). The ball quickly passed the Chevelle, tore across the opposite lanes, hit the corner curb (on Arbolita Drive) and shot up in the air, and cleared the roof of this house! This 16-lb. ball went out of sight into the darkness.... Our gang got the hell out of there in a hurry. They later wondered what those people did when they found a bowling ball in the backyard, doing untold amount of damage.... Of course, this is only a wild tale that was told in third person, and did not include anyone from this forum....  Grin

HOOLIGANS!! Cheesy

low oval
DKK

« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2009, 20:15:30 pm »

that's funny!  thought you were going to say you rolled em down euclid though.  that's probably what I would've done.

low oval
DKK

« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2009, 05:00:57 am »

here's another story, involved a buddy of mine on his way to cruise with his girl friend.
My high school buddy was going to get rid of his mini truck and was trying to decide what to get.  I was trying to tell him he should get a bug and cal look it out, he continued to tell me vw's couldn't beat a v8, noway  no how, and they were too slow.
He ended up buying a used datsun 240z (this was 78).  Anyway this particular night he is driving up beach on his way to cruise, he had just picked up his girlfriend, washed the car etc.  he pulls up to a light, on the other side a cal look bug pulls up, and on the other side of his car a baja bug pulls up.  they were going to race at the light, and weren't even looking at him, so my buddy decides he will join in and make them look foolish.  well they both blew his doors off!  They then all 3 pulled up at the next signal (the vw's were ignoring him), and figured this time he would get on it and show them.  well they blew his doors off again. 
The next week he found a 68 sunroof bug and put a 1776 in it, and we made it a cal look.  With in the year, he swapped out the 1776 for a 2 litre with 48's.

johnl

« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2009, 18:10:02 pm »

Whittier Blvd. was great, but for some of us there were many more locations.  A typical night for me (that was almost every night) was leaving my house and going to the BeanHut on then Los Angeles St. (now Anaheim Blvd).  From there to Carl's on Harbor just south of the 91 fwy.  Next would be Taco Vailla.  That is where the hard core racers hung out and we got races in later times.

Then, on north to Hillside Drive-in which was just above the Y at Harbor Blvd. and Brea Blvd.  It was cut back into the side of the hill, thus Hillside.  Here is some worthless info thrown in.  When Walt Disney started looking in Orange County for a place to put Disneyland he approaced the Fullerton City Fathers about using the land above Hillside where the Elk's club once stood.  The council turned him down because they didn't want an "amusument park" in their city. Cry Cry Cry

From there it was up to Whittier and Bob's Big Boy.  Last stop before heading back was Harvey' Broiler on Firestone Blvd. in Downey.  This was the home of the Lorider's and those wild Waton's & Junior's paint jobs.  Most of those guys didn't need 5 mph bumpers as the Pomps on their heads would do the job nicely. Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

There were two Oscar's.  One on Garden Grove Blvd. and the other in Santa Ana.  We'd ht those, but not as much.  Now this was not leaving out Hollywood and both Sunset & Hollywood Blvds.  It was nothing for me to fill the tank a couple of times per week just doing this.

And there you have a typical night in my life in times long gone, but the memories linger on!!! Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Volkswagens Limited, Der Kleiner Panzers Founder Member
Celebrating 60 years of Volkswagens in my life 1963-2023

Life is a learning experience and then you die but when you do you've lived a good life if you contributed to your fellow man.
lawrence

« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2009, 04:42:26 am »

I wonder why people dont just cruise their cars for fun anymore. It seems like there is still a large number of young people into fast cars and classics too. I know that people used to cruise El Camino in the SF Bay Area back in the 60s and 70s.

So what was it? Was this the only thing to do then? I cant believe that all young people were interested in cars at that time. Im very curious. It would be very cool to have a huge scene like this to take part in every weekend.

"Happiness is a Hot VW!"
jhicken
DKK

« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2009, 05:10:43 am »

Whittier Blvd,  I spent so much time up there I don't know where to start. Besides all the DKK memories I remember the racing, the girls flashing, ditching cops, fights and drinking way to much. I remember cruising down the blvd in my 66 bus at about 40mph right on the tail of Paul Chee and his 66 bus. And I mean right on his tail, I kept tapping his rear bumper with my front bumper! I also remember tossing a empty beer bottle over the roof of my '59 Ghia and having it bounce off the roof of a patrol just as he was passing me on the right. Ended up driving away with just a $20 littering ticket! Jim, I remember the DKK member with the primer blue oval with the big motor but for the life of me I can't remember his name. That car was sick!

I saw cars slam into other other cars, I saw a To#¤ta mini/monster truck roll over on the blvd, a drunk guy on a dirt bike slam into the back of a car so hard that he flew completely over it rolling off the front hood and the freaked out gal in the car continued driving down the blvd with the bike embedded into the rear of her car. After the rider came to the first thing he said, at the top of his lungs, was "MY BALLS!" as he held his crotch. With club members we spent alot of time parked watching this rolling freak show. I had alot of great memories.

I don't know if there is anyplace like that anymore. Here in Jersey we have some pretty cool local cruise nights, with alot of awesome cars but it just isn't the same. I'm glad I was there to experience it first hand.

-jeffrey

low oval
DKK

« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2009, 07:52:32 am »

Jeffery,
were you with me when the girls were flashing us out of that van?  they would pass on one side of the street, then we would run accross the street so they could flash us on the return trip.  I remember there were 3 of us, and those girls flashed us for quite awhile.

I agree there was no better place to be at that time.  I got in a fight one time at the police station, while drunk coming back from the fox hunt at ocir.  I did a jim rockford move with my power wagon, hit a 65 impala and then went down a side street (the guy was trying to run me off the road), the next morning when I checked out my truck my wheels were all blue, with a little dent below the gas filler.  Mark, let this be a lesson to you, the guy was from Lakewood, he got the fighting in public charge, and I got nothing.
There was another time I rode down the boulevard and back on the hood of a ford granada.  lucky I wasn't killed, especially since it was a girl driving the car.
I got in many races, especially with ford mustangs, for some reason they always thought their cars were fast (I think they still think they are fast).  It was even better when they would have their girl friend with them.
Then there are the stories of all the girls, I believe you stayed late one night to give me back my keys since I had left them in the ignition of my bug after being picked up by some girls.  good times!
jim

Sarge

« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2009, 12:53:15 pm »

Jim & Jeffrey.... wish I could have been a little fly on the windshield to witness all of what you just posted.  Great stories! Cool Cool

DKP III
javabug

WHAT'S UP WID DA BOOM BOOM???

« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2009, 13:34:13 pm »

I'm glad I was there to experience it first hand.

I'd be glad to have survived it...some crazy stories! 

Mike H.

Sven was right.
OgCalLook

Straight outa Riverside!

« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2009, 15:28:00 pm »

Cool stories
I only one I have came from the owner of the shop I worked at.
He lived in Whittier, and in 1967 he bought a brand new bench seat Chevelle w/SS 396 running gear, drove it around for a few days (200 miles) and then tore the whole front end out, to put a straight axel in it, then headers and dual quads. Brand new 67 Chevelle Gasser!!
The center of the universe was cruising Whittier Blvd. he said someone would challenged someone to a race, pull on to the street, lay way back and then drag race to the next signal.

Pretty heady times - wish I could of been there Cool

Tom Hewitson
Bahama Blau Kafer

Zach Gomulka: "California Look is walking softly and carrying a big fucking stick."
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: