The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 05:26:54 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350687 Posts in 28576 Topics by 6822 Members
Latest Member: tpb_karl
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  John Lazenby's Early DKP and Auto Haus Offerings
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: John Lazenby's Early DKP and Auto Haus Offerings  (Read 25692 times)
johnl

« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2009, 16:14:04 pm »

Wow, very cool pictures!  Thanks for sharing.  Very educational and important for all the Cal Look "historians" to see these "as it was"!

Looks like you had green tinted sidewindows in the Firemist version.  Do you have a shot of the interior of the Firemist version? 

OK John, when you complete a recreation of your old '63, will it be the Firemist version or the Warbonnet version?  The Firemist version is probably closer to your heart I would think?

Love the signs!

The windows were actually done with a candy blue spray.  It was difficult to acheive to keep them clear.  Some of the guys used plexeglass behind the factory glass to get the look.

There are probably some shots of the Firemist interior, but they are still to be located.  The dash was pretty much stock with some gauges around the spedo.  The seats, door panels and headliner were black, sprayed with Marhyde.  Carpet was stock and I think I had black and gold coco mats.  A 13 or 14" Covico steering wheel.  Beyond that nothing special that I remember.

As to what color was my favorte, I'd have to answer by saying it depends on what time frame I was in.  I liked them all, but today would probably do a different color.  This would be a stock color for the period of my car when new.  I always liked it and I don't remember it being all that pouplar.

I do have a vision in my head for a possible car in my future, but until one of you guys comes through with a $200 set of real Americans I'll just be quiet about it. Lips Sealed Lips Sealed Lips Sealed

John

PS:  Sarge, would you do me the honor of another sign if I do another car?Huh? Grin Grin

Volkswagens Limited, Der Kleiner Panzers Founder Member
Celebrating 60 years of Volkswagens in my life 1963-2023

Life is a learning experience and then you die but when you do you've lived a good life if you contributed to your fellow man.
johnl

« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2009, 16:19:59 pm »

Okay, a change of pace.  Here is a shot of me with Ed Craig!!  Not really, this was a customer's pet and I happen to be in the Auto Haus, Orange store when this was taken.  Same store that is pictured on page 94 of Keith's book.  Probably in the mid 1970's.
I will Be A Monkeys Uncle Grin Look at those Deano Linkage Kits Just Hanging There  LOL!!   heres a few Pictures I had of your Car John

The thrid photo (interior shot) is not my car.  I suspect this was DKP member Jim Brooks car.  Note the darker brown paint and placement of the wipers.  This is a '65 or later example.

John

Life is a learning experience and then you die but when you do you've lived a good life if you contributed to your fellow man.
guillaume

« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2009, 16:28:40 pm »

This Car,Whats Color?

Mags

My bet is Jaguar E type Regency Red Undecided

Good guess!  I've got some familiarity with that color.  It really stands out.

This color is not Regency red. I am thinking of doing a replica in a middle term ;-) all I can say is that the color came from an Italian car brand paint chart with some pearl added to it. Grin
« Last Edit: March 19, 2009, 16:32:05 pm by guillaume » Logged
johnl

« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2009, 16:33:51 pm »

Here is a shot when the car was Warbonnet Yellow.  Don't think this one has ever been published before.  You can slightly see the Butler steering wheel and dash.  In the background is Mike Mahaffey's Green Split.  The park was just opened and had very little as far as trees.

Those Torque Thrust wheels were later on Harvey Rosenthal from DKP2.  So I've been told.  Wish I had them back today.

Yes, I had a talk with Harvey some months ago and he said me that he bought them from you. Or he bought them and knows that they were used on your car.
Those wheels are so nice.
We need the butter nut replica to be done ;-) for the cal look history ;-)

Okay, I'm confused.  I don't think I've every met Harey, but would like to.  The wheels on my car were sold with it and I guess on it when the car was rolled.  The last time I saw the wreck was at a holding area on Harbor Blvd. in Fullerton.  This location was at one time Bassett Headers shop and then a place called Cruzin' as I recall.  It is on the east side of the street north of the Harbor / Orangethorpe intersection.

John

javabug

WHAT'S UP WID DA BOOM BOOM???

« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2009, 19:12:39 pm »

I do have a vision in my head for a possible car in my future, but until one of you guys comes through with a $200 set of real Americans I'll just be quiet about it. Lips Sealed Lips Sealed Lips Sealed

These are only slightly more...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230331224764

I'd like to type something like they're a fraction of the cost of a nice letter car, but can't think of anything clever.   Undecided

Mike H.

Sven was right.
johnl

« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2009, 21:28:36 pm »

I'd like to type something like they're a fraction of the cost of a nice letter car, but can't think of anything clever.   Undecided

Need a "Letter Car"?  Lets talk !!  Actually the current price of the American's is a "fraction" of where Letter Cars are today.

Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #36 on: March 19, 2009, 23:38:49 pm »

Letter car? Is that like "Two-forty Zee" or Zee-twenty-eight"?  Wink
Need a "Letter Car"?  Lets talk !!  Actually the current price of the American's is a "fraction" of where Letter Cars are today.

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
Jim Ratto

« Reply #37 on: March 19, 2009, 23:56:46 pm »

no I think he meant like AMC.... as in the Gremlin
Fritter

« Reply #38 on: March 20, 2009, 00:31:39 am »

As to what color was my favorte, I'd have to answer by saying it depends on what time frame I was in.  I liked them all, but today would probably do a different color.  This would be a stock color for the period of my car when new.  I always liked it and I don't remember it being all that pouplar.

Do you mean you would do a stock VW color from the mid 60s, or do you mean just any old color from the mid 60s?  You could pick another '65 Caddy color from the chart I posted up on the Volkswagens Unlimited thread.  That would be cool.  Cheesy
« Last Edit: March 20, 2009, 00:33:22 am by Mike Fritz » Logged

Mike F.
'64 Indigo Blue sunroof Bug
lawrence

« Reply #39 on: March 20, 2009, 05:39:08 am »

Oh letter cars are 300C and so forth...I was thinking pre-A, 356A, 550A, 718RSK etc Grin

"Happiness is a Hot VW!"
javabug

« Reply #40 on: March 20, 2009, 13:10:00 pm »

yeah, yeah think 4bbl carb hanging way out over each valve cover.   Cheesy

Mike H.

Sven was right.
johnl

« Reply #41 on: March 20, 2009, 16:26:39 pm »

Keith, I was refering to a Puegeot 504, casue I know you have several of them. Kiss Kiss Kiss Kiss

johnl

« Reply #42 on: March 20, 2009, 16:28:25 pm »

no I think he meant like AMC.... as in the Gremlin

Jim, please don't refer to Keith as "the Gremiln".  You might get him excited!!!   Shocked

johnl

« Reply #43 on: March 20, 2009, 16:31:30 pm »

Do you mean you would do a stock VW color from the mid 60s, or do you mean just any old color from the mid 60s?  You could pick another '65 Caddy color from the chart I posted up on the Volkswagens Unlimited thread.  That would be cool.  Cheesy

It would be a "VW" color from 1963.  I always liked it and wondered after I purchased my car in the Ruby Red why I didn't choose this color.  Got a guess what it might be?  You only get one try.

johnl

« Reply #44 on: March 20, 2009, 16:47:11 pm »

One of those is enough.  I've owned a 300F with the "long ram" set up for 23 years.  This is the car shown in Keith's book with Ron Fleming sitting at the driver's position and myself outside looking in wondering where all of Ron's golden locks have gone.

The car has gobs of power (375HP) and (495 pounds of torque @ 2800 RPM in stock form.  Mine has been reworked and I sure produces over 400 HP.  The car is scarey fast once it is rolling and I've never found the top end.  One example of these ran on the sand at Daytona in 1960 @ 149.9 MPH.  It has been estimated that on pavement that example would have gone 158 MPH!!

Like a dual carb VW motor both carbs are always pumping.  The only difference would be the 300F consumes a bit more fuel !! Huh Huh

Lee.C

I might be an Idiot but I'm not an Arsehole!

« Reply #45 on: March 20, 2009, 16:49:02 pm »

One of those is enough.  I've owned a 300F with the "long ram" set up for 23 years.  This is the car shown in Keith's book with Ron Fleming sitting at the driver's position and myself outside looking in wondering where all of Ron's golden locks have gone.

The car has gobs of power (375HP) and (495 pounds of torque @ 2800 RPM in stock form.  Mine has been reworked and I sure produces over 400 HP.  The car is scarey fast once it is rolling and I've never found the top end.  One example of these ran on the sand at Daytona in 1960 @ 149.9 MPH.  It has been estimated that on pavement that example would have gone 158 MPH!!

Like a dual carb VW motor both carbs are always pumping.  The only difference would be the 300F consumes a bit more fuel !! Huh Huh

THAT IS ONE COOL ENGINE Grin

You either "Get It" or you don't......
Fritter

« Reply #46 on: March 20, 2009, 18:37:02 pm »

It would be a "VW" color from 1963.  I always liked it and wondered after I purchased my car in the Ruby Red why I didn't choose this color.  Got a guess what it might be?  You only get one try.

Let's see, only two greens in '63 to pick from, Beryl or Turquoise.....I will pick Turquioise?  Do I win?   Cheesy

Mike F.
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #47 on: March 20, 2009, 19:28:45 pm »

Jim, please don't refer to Keith as "the Gremiln".  You might get him excited!!!   Shocked
Hey, lay off the Brit! What's he done to you!  Angry Kiss Cry Cheesy

johnl

« Reply #48 on: March 20, 2009, 19:46:59 pm »

Let's see, only two greens in '63 to pick from, Beryl or Turquoise.....I will pick Turquioise?  Do I win?   Cheesy

Sorry, you've chosen incorrectly  Angry Angry Angry

johnl

« Reply #49 on: March 20, 2009, 19:54:01 pm »

Hey, lay off the Brit! What's he done to you!  Angry Kiss Cry Cheesy

What's the Brit done to me??  Well I has happily in Volkswagen semi retirement and then you showed up and started asking questions.  Look where that has gone.  Now I lay awake at night and think about the great days of the past and wonderful friends I aquired during all of that.

If that isn't bad enough the Brit has exposed me to a whole new world of VW people and Hi-Tech stuff and given me a bad fever.  I'm concerned that the only cure for the fever is to dive back into the pool and do it again, but I may just be to old to start swimming and might sink to the bottom, but then you'd love that wouldn't you "Brit".   Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

javabug

« Reply #50 on: March 20, 2009, 20:45:21 pm »

[One of those is enough.  I've owned a 300F with the "long ram" set up for 23 years.  This is the car shown in Keith's book with Ron Fleming sitting at the driver's position and myself outside looking in wondering where all of Ron's golden locks have gone.

Thanks, John.  I love those things.  I'll now stop changing the direction of your thread!   Lips Sealed Wink

Mike H.

Sven was right.
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #51 on: March 20, 2009, 22:02:30 pm »

If that isn't bad enough the Brit has exposed me to a whole new world of VW people and Hi-Tech stuff and given me a bad fever.  I'm concerned that the only cure for the fever is to dive back into the pool and do it again, but I may just be to old to start swimming and might sink to the bottom, but then you'd love that wouldn't you "Brit".   Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked[/b][/i][/color]
Hahahahahahaha! I'd be the first in line (well, after Sarge and my dad) to give you the kiss of life!  Kiss Kiss Kiss

Sarge

« Reply #52 on: March 20, 2009, 23:23:43 pm »

Hahahahahahaha! I'd be the first in line (well, after Sarge and my dad) to give you the kiss of life!  Kiss Kiss Kiss

[/quote]

No No No!!!  YOUR first... I'll go after pops Roll Eyes Kiss

DKP III
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #53 on: March 20, 2009, 23:50:28 pm »

No No No!!!  YOUR first... I'll go after pops Roll Eyes Kiss
[/quote]

Uh, sloppy thirds?  Cheesy

--louis

Louis Brooks

The Beatings Will Continue Until Moral Improves!
Fritter

« Reply #54 on: March 21, 2009, 00:13:31 am »

OK I guess berylgreenblackpearlwhitegulfblueanthracite.  Cheesy

Mike F.
johnl

« Reply #55 on: March 23, 2009, 21:40:40 pm »

OK I guess berylgreenblackpearlwhitegulfblueanthracite.  Cheesy

So sorry, but only one try  Grin Grin Grin Grin

johnl

« Reply #56 on: March 23, 2009, 23:05:26 pm »

Yesterday I pulled this item from storage and carefully unrolled it.  This is one of the DKP Banners that was flown at the DKP I Reunion many years ago.  It has not seen daylight since that day, but with a good strong breeze yesterday she flew with pride again. The shot was taken in my driveway.

Lee.C

I might be an Idiot but I'm not an Arsehole!

« Reply #57 on: March 23, 2009, 23:55:28 pm »

Yesterday I pulled this item from storage and carefully unrolled it.  This is one of the DKP Banners that was flown at the DKP I Reunion many years ago.  It has not seen daylight since that day, but with a good strong breeze yesterday she flew with pride again. The shot was taken in my driveway.

Now that is Cal Look Porn  Wink Smiley

You either "Get It" or you don't......
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #58 on: March 24, 2009, 03:00:48 am »

John, that D.K.P. banner is VERY cool!

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
Sarge

« Reply #59 on: March 24, 2009, 05:15:25 am »

The yellow flag was at the 1972 Bug-In Shocked.  The roof of John's car can be seen at the right in the second shot.  Craig Foster owned the yellow squareback.

DKP III
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: