The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 30, 2024, 07:41:05 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
351086 Posts in 28639 Topics by 6845 Members
Latest Member: DonA
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Tire rubber signatures in front of Buggy House
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Tire rubber signatures in front of Buggy House  (Read 4443 times)
Jim Ratto

« on: March 20, 2009, 00:09:10 am »

If you've ever done the U turn in front of the old shop.... you know what I'm getting at.

It was illegal to make a LH turn from southbound lanes into the BH parking lot, across the "double double" yellow lines. Like that stopped anybody. Even the CHP parked across the street in plain sight didn't.

But some guys thought it was more fun to actually use the legal turning lane, and make the U turn, and double back to the shop's driveway. Of course, most of the U turns were not done in any legal fashion. If the wind was a north-blowing breeze, we'd often get a cloud of acrid tire smoke filling the showroom. Bryan Wenzel could never ever resist. I think even with the cop sitting across the street, he'd crank the wheel and stomp on it, sending his car sideways at opposite lock for a good 50 yards +....

Most days that I chose to commute in my '67, I'd do the same thing... well, as long as the chipper wasn't sitting there waiting. A few times I got really crossed up out there and almost missed the driveway.  Shocked Jerry would be in the back shop... and as I'd walk in to punch time clock..."Someday.... you're gonna be pretty goddam sorry when you send that blue car thru the showroom....car sounds good though..."

And of course there was the day I did it with a cold motor....  HP1 blew apart.... green Kendall oil trails and tire tracks all across Mission Blvd.... man I thought Jerry was going to crucify me.

stealth67vw

« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2009, 00:32:35 am »

There were only a few times I did not leave Buggy House sideways and I always romped on it making the U-Turn. 40 years of oil dripping VWs made it pretty slick.

John Bates
JB Machining Services
1967 street bug 2020lbs w/driver
12.34 @ 108 mph 1/4
7.76 @ 89mph 1/8
Jim Ratto

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2009, 00:33:59 am »

There were only a few times I did not leave Buggy House sideways and I always romped on it making the U-Turn. 40 years of oil dripping VWs made it pretty slick.

yeah it was you guys that always wanted to "warranty" clutches too.  Roll Eyes
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2009, 00:52:03 am »

40 years of oil dripping VWs made it pretty slick.

Grin

That's awesome.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2009, 04:28:31 am by DKK_Fred » Logged

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
stealth67vw

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2009, 03:06:32 am »

Remember when I tore the center out my solid Sachs disc and Jerry asked "What fucking size engine do you have". I told him a1600 single port and got the typical "Jesus Fucking Christ" . Grin

John Bates
JB Machining Services
12.34 @ 108 mph 1/4
7.76 @ 89mph 1/8
lawrence

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2009, 05:32:23 am »

HOOLIGANS!! Grin I am gonna take a trip over there soon. When I go I will take my camera and see if any marks are still there.

"Happiness is a Hot VW!"
stealth67vw

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2009, 05:48:16 am »

HOOLIGANS!! Grin I am gonna take a trip over there soon. When I go I will take my camera and see if any marks are still there.
That's the real problem with Vdubs, they don't weigh enough to leave lasting marks. Roll Eyes Grin I've found this out after many, many, many attempts Grin

John Bates
JB Machining Services
12.34 @ 108 mph 1/4
7.76 @ 89mph 1/8
Brandon Sinclair

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2009, 07:05:07 am »

Damn, I was just over there this afternoon, but was easy on the clutch and the roadway.

Thanks for sending over those Grant rings for me Jim!!!
« Last Edit: March 20, 2009, 18:25:04 pm by Brandon Sinclair » Logged
Jim Ratto

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2009, 16:09:32 pm »

Remember when I tore the center out my solid Sachs disc and Jerry asked "What fucking size engine do you have". I told him a1600 single port and got the typical "Jesus Fucking Christ" . Grin

of course I remember. And I remember how many expletives jerry used as you left through the front door.... something to the effect of "that %&*@%#***-ing kid can't $^#*&%##-ing leave the $&*^^$))#*#{{-ing driveway without buring the mother^%$^^++)-ing tires off...!!!" and then imitatiing you "I don't know HOW this happened to my clutch. Can't have a %*#*&^%-ing thing to do with me trying to ruin a set of perfectly good ##@^%-ing tires every %&&%(({-ing time I leave Buggy House!"

He saw thru all your kids' lies....let me tell you. Gotta remember... he was a leadfoot kid at one time too.

Tony M

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2009, 21:21:53 pm »

Mark Miller was famous for that (same guy that rode the pan car in the Alameda tube) He would come down Mission Blvd and would do a M&M as we called it, going south he would pitch it sideways cross over into the north lanes and park it right to the curb in front of the show room. All this at about 60 mph's in bugs, his own El Camino, Chevell w/502ci - Now that car would leave some rubber on the ground. Hell i still do that when i leave or get there.  Grin Jims oil hose down of Mission Blvd lasted for many years - Right JIM !!!

Life is too fast to drive a slow VW
Jim Ratto

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2009, 21:27:06 pm »

Mark Miller was famous for that (same guy that rode the pan car in the Alameda tube) He would come down Mission Blvd and would do a M&M as we called it, going south he would pitch it sideways cross over into the north lanes and park it right to the curb in front of the show room. All this at about 60 mph's in bugs, his own El Camino, Chevell w/502ci - Now that car would leave some rubber on the ground. Hell i still do that when i leave or get there.  Grin Jims oil hose down of Mission Blvd lasted for many years - Right JIM !!!

everything Mark Miller drove was fast, even if it wasn't.... just him getting in a car gave it another 80 horse or so. I saw him leave sideways from shop in stock 40Hp stuff. The El Camino was the most fun to watch. I loved when Dan's guys would come visit.... safety-shoe Lee, Miller, Eduardo (I bought my $300 scab bus from him) and of course you, Tony  Kiss
One time, Miller left the shop in the chocolate milk colored 412 with 8 spokes. Thing launched like a super street car... I mean HARD. Later he was back that day for more parts in it. Only then did I find out it had a hot 2.7 911 six in it.
How about Mark Miller driving to Bug In next to I-5 (not on it)?
larry mck

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2009, 19:34:01 pm »

I got a ticket for doing that! But I would never do a burn out in front of the store Wink.
Jim Ratto

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2009, 20:40:34 pm »

I got a ticket for doing that! But I would never do a burn out in front of the store Wink.

you lie. First time I met you was @ BH. You brought the red car down, and brought your daughters with you...this goes waaay back, when you had the 356, but before you had the GTV. You had just put the Japanese Berms and Neal discs on your red '67. When you left, you had the car on the snubbers and hazed the hides pretty good for a 76 cast crank.  Cheesy

I think we kept Daikin really busy over those years, with all the clutch discs. No wonder that CHP sat across the street everyday, all day.
javabug

WHAT'S UP WID DA BOOM BOOM???

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2009, 21:04:13 pm »

Funny this just popped back up...for the last hour of my day here I went to the search and typed in "Jerry."  Haven't laughed so much at work in a long time!

Mike H.

Sven was right.
Jim Ratto

« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2009, 21:06:19 pm »

Funny this just popped back up...for the last hour of my day here I went to the search and typed in "Jerry."  Haven't laughed so much at work in a long time!

hahaah he's famous.
Tony M

« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2009, 21:07:57 pm »

If you've ever done the U turn in front of the old shop.... you know what I'm getting at.

It was illegal to make a LH turn from southbound lanes into the BH parking lot, across the "double double" yellow lines. Like that stopped anybody. Even the CHP parked across the street in plain sight didn't.

But some guys thought it was more fun to actually use the legal turning lane, and make the U turn, and double back to the shop's driveway. Of course, most of the U turns were not done in any legal fashion. If the wind was a north-blowing breeze, we'd often get a cloud of acrid tire smoke filling the showroom. Bryan Wenzel could never ever resist. I think even with the cop sitting across the street, he'd crank the wheel and stomp on it, sending his car sideways at opposite lock for a good 50 yards +....

Most days that I chose to commute in my '67, I'd do the same thing... well, as long as the chipper wasn't sitting there waiting. A few times I got really crossed up out there and almost missed the driveway.  Shocked Jerry would be in the back shop... and as I'd walk in to punch time clock..."Someday.... you're gonna be pretty goddam sorry when you send that blue car thru the showroom....car sounds good though..."

And of course there was the day I did it with a cold motor....  HP1 blew apart.... green Kendall oil trails and tire tracks all across Mission Blvd.... man I thought Jerry was going to crucify me.

JIMS MARKS WERE THERE FOR A LONG TIME - OIL AND RUBBER - ABOUT 3 LOOPS AROUND - THAT WAS ONE OF THE BEST ONES

Life is too fast to drive a slow VW
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: