The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 29, 2024, 14:23:40 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350869 Posts in 28606 Topics by 6827 Members
Latest Member: bmwjaguare5
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  overfueling.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: overfueling.  (Read 3314 times)
67worshipper

« on: March 24, 2009, 21:40:30 pm »

this has been a long running headache for me.my idas are still over fueling.plugs are black.the float heights were checked at the weekend and were way below what they should have been.ive readjusted them and took it for a test today.its worse now than before.when its idleing the right hand carb looking at the engine bay is pumping fuel from the main jets down onto the butterflys.its running a low pressure holley pump and low pressure holley reg.i spoke to a friend today and he thinks it could still be high on pressure.the pump is 1to 4 psi max and the reg the same.the jet sizes are all pretty much bang on.any help would be great.thanks in advance

vw hot rod heaven
Bruce

« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2009, 01:48:24 am »

Sounds like you are assuming the pressure is good.  Have you put a pressure gauge on it?
John Rayburn

Der Kleiner Panzers

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2009, 02:13:10 am »

Check with a gauge, if all is correct, then I would suspect a needle and seat issue. Some of the newer needle and seat kits are junk and will cause what you are describing.

I also park at Nick's.
Hotrodvw

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2009, 05:40:47 am »

I just went through this.  I had a float needle stick on my, and I literally had a puddle of fuel on the butterflys.  I knew my fuel pressure was in check, so I aimed for the floats.  Sure enough.....I had some junk in there.  I run my fule pressure on my Dells at about 3.25 psi if I recall correctly.  Like these guys said, check the pressure, then hit th needle seat.  Pressure could be pushing fuel past the needle, even if it's clean or has even the slightest debris.

Hose & Fittings

'67 Sunroof

www.ultimateaircooled.com
67worshipper

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2009, 09:00:16 am »

the system has no gauge fitted.and its all hard lines from the reg to the carbs.the carbs are new spanish equivalents.its supposed to be low pressure no more than 4psi tops.i have a cb 3.3 psi pump that i will fit just to make sure the pressure is ok.the holley drone does my head in anyway.

vw hot rod heaven
Bruce

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2009, 09:02:47 am »

After you finish wasting your time, put a gauge in it.
Peter Roberts

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2009, 09:53:23 am »

On a Holley regulator , where does the excess fuel go to if there is no return line ?

I have checked a few Holley pumps , with a fuel pressure gauge , and at idle , with nearly no fuel being drawn by the carbs , the fuel pressure would creep up and up , would this not overpower the floats ?

The only way I could get a steady reading while setting or adjusting the regulator was to run the out line from the regulator , via some hose , into a fuel can , so the pressure wasn't backing up .

Anyone else have any thoughts ?

Sarge

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2009, 13:22:03 pm »

Use a stock fuel pump.  No more regulator and Holley drone.  It may not be cool but at least it will run.  My $.02.

DKP III
Martin

Cash Converter....

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2009, 13:22:38 pm »

On a Holley regulator , where does the excess fuel go to if there is no return line ?

I have checked a few Holley pumps , with a fuel pressure gauge , and at idle , with nearly no fuel being drawn by the carbs , the fuel pressure would creep up and up , would this not overpower the floats ?

The only way I could get a steady reading while setting or adjusting the regulator was to run the out line from the regulator , via some hose , into a fuel can , so the pressure wasn't backing up .

I had the same problem ages ago, you can get a Holley reg that has a return, so the line preshure is constant and excess fuel is returned to the tank. works a treat!

Its just the same as an EFI system, just a lot lower presure.

Martin

Martin

9 sec street car, its just simply not fast enough

Swing axle to CV convertion is on the website now

www.taylormachine.co.uk

OFF/500
67worshipper

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2009, 17:36:02 pm »

ive stripped the right hand carb today and found the float half full with fuel.very poor casting,and very poor soldering.it was a brass float as well which i thought the spanish copies had plastic floats.the float wont also drain the fuel out so it must be a pinhole or sucking through the seam. im going to strip both carbs down now and double check everything.does anyone know if the aftermarket floats and associated parts are decent quality?

vw hot rod heaven
Jon
Administrator

12,3@174km/t at Gardermoen 2008

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2009, 12:57:36 pm »

You are absolutely right, check out this thread:
http://cal-look.no/lounge/index.php/topic,8105.0.html

And see what Holley writes about the regulator we all use:
http://www.holley.com/HolleyNews/article.asp?ID=25

Grumpy old men have signatures like this.
67worshipper

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2009, 21:00:15 pm »

this has now been sorted.a new float and setting up has cured all its running problems.its definately 100% better than it ever has been.setting the float heights and replacing the pump for a cb 3.5 self regulating unit has made a world of difference.thanks for all your input on this longterm problem Wink

vw hot rod heaven
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: