The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 07:19:13 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350680 Posts in 28573 Topics by 6819 Members
Latest Member: Umanisti
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Nick's
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print
Author Topic: Nick's  (Read 22238 times)
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2009, 13:27:17 pm »

Great news about Rick & Tom regarding future Panzer status, Sarge. Stoked to hear this! Quality people and cars that go with that.

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
johnl

« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2009, 16:32:51 pm »

So, I guess my lusting after a '70 Hemi Cuda is heresy as far as you guys are concerned! Cheesy
Hey, if it works for you go for it.  Somehow I always expect to see Jerry Springer driving one of those around.  Most of the "Mopar Crowd" of which I don't include myself (I drive Chryslers and there is a difference) fits right in with that image.
Ouch!  Grin
You may say "Ouch", but take a close look and you will probably agree....... Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad

John, are you referring to the "Joe Dirt" effect in general with American musclecars?   Grin Grin Grin

VW content:  I looked at my '64 sunroof project in the garage when I got home from work tonight  Grin Grin  My '68 911 is getting all the love for the time being.

John, are you referring to the "Joe Dirt" effect in general with American musclecars?

You might refer to it as that.  Over the years what I've come to learn is there are (3) levels in the Chevy, Ford and Mopar crowd.  Level (1) would be your real "quality people", level (2) that would be your "middle of the road group" and then we move to level (3).  This group would be the "bottom feeders", but beyond that is the Mopar crowd is typically about (5) levels below the Chevy and Ford group at this stage.  I've never been able to figure out why, but look close and you will see they do exist.

Volkswagens Limited, Der Kleiner Panzers Founder Member
Celebrating 60 years of Volkswagens in my life 1963-2023

Life is a learning experience and then you die but when you do you've lived a good life if you contributed to your fellow man.
johnl

« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2009, 16:45:14 pm »

Had a nice time yesterday afternoon.  The weather was close to 80 degrees making for summer like conditions.  I took some pics and will try to post a few up tonight.  Longtime DKP member Art Alvarez had his Chevy wagon there last night after winning the Boyd Coddington Memorial trophy at the Del Mar hot rod show earlier in the day.... a HUGE honor!  John Lazenby drove one of his Chryslers (almost a city block long, it seemed) and also took a ride in Bill Schwimmer's rig (further setting the VW hook). 

It was good to see a bunch of old timers and the younger guys as well.  Glad those of you there enjoyed seeing Detroit ultimate horsepower back in the day.  Don't think just because it is big and heavy it is slow, because once rolling it will pull like a freight train !!   Shocked Shocked :oNext time I'll maybe bring the 413 Ram Car.

The ride in Bill's '59 brought back many memories especially being a sunroof car like my '63 was.  Bill was kind enough to supply me with a bit of info on an item and I'm currently in persuit of !! Roll Eyes Roll Eyes  Also, I'd like to public thank Bill for the ride and his support in helping me with this disease and his vast knowledge of how to cure it.

Look forward to seeing more of you next month................. Grin Grin Grin Grin

Hi John, the 300 sure is a pretty car.... nice engine detail. Me and Jim K were trying to figure out the brake servo...  does the bellows MOVE?
Have a fun ride in Bill's car? Shocked That motor is almost as old as me, and it still kicks ass. 

Hi John, the 300 sure is a pretty car.... nice engine detail. Me and Jim K were trying to figure out the brake servo...  does the bellows MOVE?
Have a fun ride in Bill's car? Shocked That motor is almost as old as me, and it still kicks ass.

Thanks for the kind words regarding the '57 300C.  Yes, the bellows do move when the pedal is actuated.  The master cylinder is directly under this assembly and is a real pain to check and even more of a task to fill.  Don't know what they were thinking when they designed that one, but it was used for years.

Bill's car was a fun ride and moved well.  I guess the thrill is not what it was years ago.  Over the years owning and driving "fast cars" one becomes somewhat use to acceleration.  Not to long ago I had the oppertunity to drive a DB9 Astin Martin.  Christie is a huge fan of the styling and I of course appreciate the engineering.  The car was fast and everything worked well, but it lacked something.  Got back into our M5 and found it far more rewarding and a bit less $$

With that said I would think that Bill's car is the fastest street VW I've ever been in.  Also, you must remember it is different when behind the wheel as opposed to passenger.  Other than seeing a group of my old DKP friends the ride was the highlight of my day and I drove home in the 300C with a big smile on my face thinking about it all....... Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

Life is a learning experience and then you die but when you do you've lived a good life if you contributed to your fellow man.
johnl

« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2009, 16:48:27 pm »

Here is a man who is sold on an idea... Wink

Hey, I was "sold on the idea" before a lot of you were born !!!!!    Wink Wink Wink

speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2009, 16:50:16 pm »

and how was the pleasure to have a ride in bill's car  john Huh

Wink
fabs

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
johnl

« Reply #35 on: April 07, 2009, 16:52:38 pm »

The Nova wagon kicks booty, as well as most of the cars in the pics!  The little girl is very cute!  And John Lazenby has a sly look on his face, he's being assimilated into the VW cult again I think...... Grin Grin Grin

And John Lazenby has a sly look on his face, he's being assimilated into the VW cult again I think......

"assimilated", is that a new off color word I don't know?HuhHuh? Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

johnl

« Reply #36 on: April 07, 2009, 18:50:10 pm »

Wink
fabs

Fabs,

My answer is already posted in this thread.

nicolas

« Reply #37 on: April 07, 2009, 21:24:25 pm »

good news on Sadler's car. nice one!
Sarge

« Reply #38 on: April 07, 2009, 22:06:57 pm »

That's one of the best shots of Rick's car I've seen so far.  LOVE it!

Thanks Mike... looking forward to taking plenty more of it in the future.

Both Rick and Tim have really nice cars and will make great additions to the club.... plus they're both fun to have around. Smiley
« Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 22:27:02 pm by Sarge » Logged

DKP III
vwcab

peter

« Reply #39 on: April 07, 2009, 22:31:12 pm »

Saw the report in hot vws (Rick's car),and I like it very much.(nice color)

'72 standard käfer
'74 cal-look project
'78 1303 cabrio
'12 Triumph street triple

ESCARABAJO's CALIENTEs
Diederick/DVK

They're never done till they're sold

« Reply #40 on: April 07, 2009, 22:56:53 pm »

sadler's car looks awesome, which HotVWs issue is it in?

looks like another great day for you in socal Wink

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
DVK ~ Der Vollgas Kreuzers
Sarge

« Reply #41 on: April 07, 2009, 23:17:19 pm »

It's on the cover of this years Cal Look issue (March??).  Your right on the great day in SoCal, too Wink.

DKP III
johnl

« Reply #42 on: April 07, 2009, 23:22:52 pm »

It's on the cover of this years Cal Look issue (March??).  Your right on the great day in SoCal, too Wink.

Everyday is a "Great Day in SoCal" compared to any other place I've ever been !!!    Cool Cool

Eric Justus

« Reply #43 on: April 07, 2009, 23:33:45 pm »

That's one of the best shots of Rick's car I've seen so far.  LOVE it!

Thanks Mike... looking forward to taking plenty more of it in the future.

Both Rick and Tim have really nice cars and will make great additions to the club.... plus they're both fun to have around. Smiley

Reminds me of Mark Stinson's car

Eric Justus
HotVWs, SuperVW, Let's Play VW Cal-Look features
Der Kleiner Panzers VW club
Diederick/DVK

They're never done till they're sold

« Reply #44 on: April 07, 2009, 23:39:12 pm »

thanks sarge, can that issue still be back ordered? is it featured in there, too?
glad you had a good day, i got some work done on my car too. guess it definitely was a cal-look sunday  Smiley

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
DVK ~ Der Vollgas Kreuzers
Fritter

« Reply #45 on: April 08, 2009, 00:22:36 am »

The Nova wagon kicks booty, as well as most of the cars in the pics!  The little girl is very cute!  And John Lazenby has a sly look on his face, he's being assimilated into the VW cult again I think...... Grin Grin Grin

And John Lazenby has a sly look on his face, he's being assimilated into the VW cult again I think......

"assimilated", is that a new off color word I don't know?HuhHuh? Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Yikes!!  Shocked Shocked Shocked

Mike F.
'64 Indigo Blue sunroof Bug
Jason Foster

7.69 87mph 12.35 106 mph

« Reply #46 on: April 08, 2009, 03:29:05 am »

Great job with the fantastic photos Sarge!  and Mark as well... (I dig the new rim treatment by the way Mark)  Oh also Mark have you a pen by chance?  Nice seeing everyone and I can't wait to see Rayburn's car back on the road.

I especially like this one Sarge thanks.... Wink

STRENGTH THROUGH JOY...........

Der Kleiner Panzers
Rennsurfer

« Reply #47 on: April 08, 2009, 04:02:27 am »

Thanks, Jason... and I agree about John's car. I'm stoked for him and looking forward to it. Cool shot of your car, too.

~Sarge
Dave Rosique

nobodyouno

« Reply #48 on: April 08, 2009, 04:11:42 am »

Great job with the fantastic photos Sarge!  and Mark as well... (I dig the new rim treatment by the way Mark)  Oh also Mark have you a pen by chance?  Nice seeing everyone and I can't wait to see Rayburn's car back on the road.

I especially like this one Sarge thanks.... Wink

Your car really looks good with the Enkei's Jason!

Yes, it's time to see Rayburn burning up the streets again...

Sarge, thanks as always Grin

~DR.
lawrence

« Reply #49 on: April 08, 2009, 05:39:52 am »

Sarge the pics came out great, but they are all crooked. I think there is something wrong with your tripod or maybe too much cabernet before the meet Huh Grin

"Happiness is a Hot VW!"
Rennsurfer

« Reply #50 on: April 08, 2009, 06:00:27 am »

Sarge the pics came out great, but they are all crooked. I think there is something wrong with your tripod or maybe too much cabernet before the meet Huh Grin

They look straight to me. But I'm like Sarge... grew up in the '60s, watching cheesy episodes of television series, Batman. So perhaps it's largely due to that.

Grin

By the way... touchè, Lawrence, that was a funny post.

~Sarge
WCB Hitler's Hot Rod

« Reply #51 on: April 08, 2009, 06:34:11 am »

Sarge COOL pictures!!
How about a photo shoot of you car, alongside these two would rock!!

Yellow and blue makes green! Where's Dave Rhoads car? Wink

WARNING! BE PREPARED FOR A ROLLING BLACKOUT.

West Coast Blitz... "Motha Sucka!"

You may have some Swag, but I OWN da Swagoo!!

This right here is my 'lil Nazi-killa!
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #52 on: April 08, 2009, 07:35:48 am »

thanks sarge, can that issue still be back ordered? is it featured in there, too?
Rick's car will be in Ultra VW very soon, too, so watch out for that – it's already been photographed. Taylor's car is in our May 2009 issue which I'm working on right now! Smiley

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
Rocket Ron

It's old school for a reason

« Reply #53 on: April 08, 2009, 08:33:12 am »

Sarge COOL pictures!!

what make are the turn signals ??

13.12 @ 101.84

Grooving out on life

You can't polish a turd but you can roll it in glitter
Gunter

« Reply #54 on: April 08, 2009, 09:11:31 am »

the Hella brand, and I am fond of this idea
Rick's car is superbly done, and should be a nice add on to the DKP members
not only his personality (just do not let him say EIRA, or YA MAN, he likes Jamaica) but the history of the car and his first steps into the CalLook scene ...
oh Rick beers on you for the BugIn 34 then Huh
I am flying in Thursday 30th, will you be in the office on Friday ?

Gunter
Jon
Administrator

12,3@174km/t at Gardermoen 2008

« Reply #55 on: April 08, 2009, 09:23:32 am »

They look straight to me. But I'm like Sarge... grew up in the '60s, watching cheesy episodes of television series, Batman. So perhaps it's largely due to that.

The camera was only tilted at the villains headquarters....    Wink Shocked Grin

Grumpy old men have signatures like this.
Rune
SCC Crew

Screwdrivers #7

« Reply #56 on: April 08, 2009, 09:26:59 am »

Sarge COOL pictures!!

what make are the turn signals ??

Type 2 back-up lights are'nt they?
Gunter

« Reply #57 on: April 08, 2009, 10:23:38 am »

yes for US a 67only and T2A

Frank LUX

Back...Soon...hopefully!!!

« Reply #58 on: April 08, 2009, 10:33:28 am »

Had a nice time yesterday afternoon.  The weather was close to 80 degrees making for summer like conditions.  I took some pics and will try to post a few up tonight.  Longtime DKP member Art Alvarez had his Chevy wagon there last night after winning the Boyd Coddington Memorial trophy at the Del Mar hot rod show earlier in the day.... a HUGE honor!  John Lazenby drove one of his Chryslers (almost a city block long, it seemed) and also took a ride in Bill Schwimmer's rig (further setting the VW hook). 

Hey Sarge,

I'm missing that Special Picture for Frank...or was he not around...Huh Wink Grin Grin

Frank

1960 Ragtop, 2332cc, 48 IDA's, Joe Hunt Magneto, someday it will be back...
1953 Split Window, 1799cc, 48 IDA's, Don Zig Magneto,  OG BRM's...in da works...
SumFun Racecar, 2332cc, 48 IDA's, Magneto
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #59 on: April 08, 2009, 12:56:44 pm »

Wink
fabs

Fabs,

My answer is already posted in this thread.

oups  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes i read it now   Wink

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: