The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 05, 2024, 08:53:08 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
351094 Posts in 28640 Topics by 6846 Members
Latest Member: JamesBoyd
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  My old Split Window.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: My old Split Window.  (Read 12292 times)
edcraig

« on: April 14, 2009, 05:57:58 am »

There's a good chance that my old 51 Split Window will be at the Classic this year.  I guess it's been garaged for the past 20 + years.    The owner was nice enough to contact me about it.  I offered to buy it back of course, but he tells me that it'll stay in his family.  Good for him!
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2009, 05:59:15 am »

Excellent news, Ed! Have you any pictures of the car how it currently looks?

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
edcraig

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2009, 06:00:42 am »

Not yet, but I asked for some.  If and when I get them, I'll post them here.  Love to see it myself.
Rennsurfer

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2009, 06:17:38 am »

Not yet, but I asked for some.  If and when I get them, I'll post them here.  Love to see it myself.

Right on. Are there any older shots of it already on The Lounge? Or have they not been posted, yet?

~Sarge
edcraig

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2009, 06:25:39 am »

Here's one.
WCB Hitler's Hot Rod

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2009, 06:40:49 am »

That's GREAT! I hear its painted Peru Red and has a 1600cc?

WARNING! BE PREPARED FOR A ROLLING BLACKOUT.

West Coast Blitz... "Motha Sucka!"

You may have some Swag, but I OWN da Swagoo!!

This right here is my 'lil Nazi-killa!
Rennsurfer

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2009, 07:15:53 am »

Such a COOL car!

~Sarge
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2009, 08:19:07 am »

Wow! They just keep coming out of the woodwork!  Cool

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
ESH

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2009, 09:44:30 am »

Always interesting to hear of another survivor, cool news.  Cool
Sarge

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2009, 12:32:46 pm »

....."I offered to buy it back of course, but he tells me that it'll stay in his family."

You and Mahaffey need to slip over and hi-jack that car some night... he'd never know who took it. Roll Eyes  Pretty cool you at least know it's still around! Cool

DKP III
Shubee2 (DSK)

"There's No School Like OLD SCHOOL"

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2009, 15:20:12 pm »

Last Time I saw Your Old Car ED it was Painted Peru Red with Original BRM's back on it, and Was in The Califorina Kafers VW Club from the So. Bay/Torrance Area It Had Big IDA Motor  in it Thats Been over 25 Years Ago Would Love to see it Again Grin Grin  I Dont Have a Picture of it Peru Red But here is one when you had it and one after it was sold but before it was redone..
« Last Edit: April 14, 2009, 17:12:59 pm by Shubee2 (DSK) » Logged

Der Selten Kafers VW Club.
Founding Member Est: 1976

58 Ragtop Old School Cal Look
66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
edcraig

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2009, 15:38:30 pm »

That one pic was when I still owned it.  It was shot behind the auto haus store in buena park. ( pic w/ BRMs). The guy who bought it from me put the gold 8 spokes on it.
Yes, it's red now and has been sitting in a garage for 20 plus years.  I'm glad the guy kept it for all of these years and wants to keep it in his family. 
Shubee2 (DSK)

"There's No School Like OLD SCHOOL"

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2009, 17:11:29 pm »

That one pic was when I still owned it.  It was shot behind the auto haus store in buena park. ( pic w/ BRMs). The guy who bought it from me put the gold 8 spokes on it.
Yes, it's red now and has been sitting in a garage for 20 plus years.  I'm glad the guy kept it for all of these years and wants to keep it in his family. 
Is it still the Same Owner ? that had it with the 8 spokes?

Der Selten Kafers VW Club.
Founding Member Est: 1976

58 Ragtop Old School Cal Look
66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2009, 17:47:04 pm »

. The guy who bought it from me put the gold 8 spokes on it.

it was tony de kruif who had the car with the 8spokes
« Last Edit: December 17, 2009, 20:05:11 pm by speedwell » Logged

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2009, 18:01:43 pm »

tony de kruif was in the "der california kafer" club Wink
« Last Edit: December 17, 2009, 20:05:47 pm by speedwell » Logged

speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2009, 18:03:36 pm »

ed here's the report when you  owned the car  Wink

johnl

« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2009, 18:29:59 pm »

That old wreck of a '51 !!!   Shocked Shocked :oI had the oppertunity to purchase the car before Mike Mahaffey did and kick myself still. 

We did own a '50 standard with a 25hp engine build in December of 1949 and a Telefunken (sp) radio.  That car was purchased from Doug (Underdog) Gordon who had bought it from Bruce Crower (Crower Cams).  Whn Christie and I purchased our first home we had no money and sold it for about $1000 as I recall. 

The fellow (Ted Allen??) who purchased it actually made payments to us.  I wonder if that car is around today??  Several years ago (probably 20) I ran into Ted and he still had it them, but don't think he had done much with it.

Shortly after Ted paid off the car he was in a very bad accident while driving his VW single cab to work.  It was a head on and he almost lost his leg.  We went to the hospital to visit him and the doctors had put his two legs together at the shin area.  This was to get a blood flow back.  There was a HUGH open wound with a screen over it.  I think he was in the hospital for almost a year.

Anyone out there know who Ted might be  these days???

Volkswagens Limited, Der Kleiner Panzers Founder Member
Celebrating 61 years of Volkswagens in my life 1963-2024

Life is a learning experience and then you die but when you do you've lived a good life if you contributed to your fellow man.
Fritter

« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2009, 18:36:12 pm »

That old wreck of a '51 !!!   Shocked Shocked :oI had the oppertunity to purchase the car before Mike Mahaffey did and kick myself still. 

We did own a '50 standard with a 25hp engine build in December of 1949 and a Telefunken (sp) radio.  That car was purchased from Doug (Underdog) Gordon who had bought it from Bruce Crower (Crower Cams).  Whn Christie and I purchased our first home we had no money and sold it for about $1000 as I recall. 

The fellow (Ted Allen??) who purchased it actually made payments to us.  I wonder if that car is around today??  Several years ago (probably 20) I ran into Ted and he still had it them, but don't think he had done much with it.

Shortly after Ted paid off the car he was in a very bad accident while driving his VW single cab to work.  It was a head on and he almost lost his leg.  We went to the hospital to visit him and the doctors had put his two legs together at the shin area.  This was to get a blood flow back.  There was a HUGH open wound with a screen over it.  I think he was in the hospital for almost a year.

Anyone out there know who Ted might be  these days???

Head on in a single cab, yeouch.  $1K!!  That car would probably be $40K now.

Mike F.
'64 Indigo Blue sunroof Bug
Fritter

« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2009, 18:38:15 pm »

Wow! They just keep coming out of the woodwork!  Cool

The Mahaffey/Craig split is one of my favorites from the oldies.  The fact that the car is still intact and will come out is very cool!

Here's the kicker:  what happened to the 2180 Mahaffey motor? 

Reuniting the car with that trendsetting motor would be a momentous occasion for sure!

Mike F.
edcraig

« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2009, 19:55:53 pm »

Note the DRA decals in the window in the pic above, (taken behind the AH Store).  Glad to see DRA get some reference on the message boards lately as I though we were one of the better clubs around.  In talking to Marc B. I think he still has some of the club decals.  Frenchy...another..alum, has some too I think.

You know..I really wanted the car back, but now that I know where it is, I think I'm good with it staying with the current owner.  I give him credit for hanging on to it for all this time.  It's where it should be.  If and when I get another VW, it'll be another car.
Jim Ratto

« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2009, 20:00:48 pm »

How cool would it be for Ed or Mike to get that car back and put it back the way it should be?
Always a hallmark cal look car in my book

Thanks for the news, Ed.

Jim

« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2009, 21:02:21 pm »

http://cal-look.no/lounge/index.php/topic,8588.0.html
Bruce

« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2009, 03:00:50 am »

"......BRM wheels. These rims, which were discontinued from production over five years ago, give the car a remarkably unique appearance and one that isn't likely to be duplicated."

Ooops!
lawrence

« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2009, 03:29:23 am »

That's so cool to know this car is still around. Imagine seeing it untouched with brms and conda green paint Shocked

"Happiness is a Hot VW!"
Bryan67

« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2009, 03:59:19 am »

eddy the cuyper was in the "der california kafer" club Wink
Looks the Beastie Boys in the Sabatage video.

If you`re going to do something, do it right.
Bill Schwimmer
DKK

« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2009, 04:05:12 am »

Last Time I saw Your Old Car ED it was Painted Peru Red with Original BRM's back on it, and Was in The Califorina Kafers VW Club from the So. Bay/Torrance Area It Had Big IDA Motor  in it Thats Been over 25 Years Ago Would Love to see it Again Grin Grin  I Dont Have a Picture of it Peru Red But here is one when you had it and one after it was sold but before it was redone..
Ok , I get it now.. I was confusing Marc B's car for the red split that was at Drag Days & various events in the early 80's. I did'nt realize that it was Mike M's & Ed Craig's car.  Seeing a car like that with BRM's and all of its oozing bad attitude had a HUGE impact on me back then, And now I know why. I cannot wait to see it. If it is still reasonably intact & in good condition, this has to be one of the most historic Cal Look cars out there.  The original  David vs Goliath V8 killer.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2009, 04:11:24 am by Bill Schwimmer » Logged

" don't buy upgrades    ride up grades"
    Eddy Merckx
WCB Hitler's Hot Rod

« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2009, 04:12:03 am »

Hey Ed,
Did you personally make your own rear T bars? Very unique!
« Last Edit: April 15, 2009, 04:13:34 am by vdubkid » Logged

WARNING! BE PREPARED FOR A ROLLING BLACKOUT.

West Coast Blitz... "Motha Sucka!"

You may have some Swag, but I OWN da Swagoo!!

This right here is my 'lil Nazi-killa!
Fritter

« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2009, 04:12:53 am »

Just to recap what has been gone over so far

1.  The Bill Arroyo red split from DKP I is the Marc B car
2.  The brown then green then red split is the Mahaffey/Craig/early 80s Drag Day/current mystery owner who will show up at the Classic car

The fact both of these cars still exist and are coming out of the woodwork is pretty crazy!  Now we just need to get the Fleming oval story from Keith Seume.   Grin Grin Grin
« Last Edit: April 15, 2009, 04:18:32 am by Mike Fritz » Logged

Mike F.
edcraig

« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2009, 04:51:14 am »

Yes...on the T bars.  well...a modified product.  When the new bumper requirement hit us all, I didn't lke the look of the thin black tee bars.  So I got some nerf bars off of a 356, and cut then down to fit.  I liked the fatter look  and short top, along with the slight curve.  The front bumper was also my idea.  My bumper holes in front were filled, and I didn't want to reopen them, so I needed something that fit from under the car.  This was a Manx style buggy bumper that I also cut and re-shaped a little.  It was my idea, but I shared it wih a guy from DVB.  He was actually the first to do it.  I was the second.  In all honestly, it wasn't my favorite look, but it at least filled the need.  A short tme later, AH started selling a cut and shaped version for bugs and we sold a ton of them.
edcraig

« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2009, 04:58:03 am »

A pic of my car with Frenchy's in the backround that we used for a DRA Club t shirt.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: