The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 09:35:58 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350685 Posts in 28576 Topics by 6820 Members
Latest Member: chicochemxli
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Current Pics of Marc Buehler's Split Window
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 17 Print
Author Topic: Current Pics of Marc Buehler's Split Window  (Read 156985 times)
edcraig

« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2009, 04:39:09 am »

Here's a few more pics of Marc's car.  Note the Deano shifter in the interior photo.

...Ed.

PS.  Nice seeing everyone at the Bug in!
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2009, 06:24:14 am »

Thanks, again, Ed. Very cool of you share pics of such an iconic example of vehicular Cal Look history. Always dug on Deano shifters, regardless of all of the heckling that I got for it, years ago.

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
Black Sheep

less is more

« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2009, 19:49:27 pm »

Wow that a clean lookin split keep us updated  will you Ed  Cool

Stick with what you know works .
13.03 @ 98mph
Lee.C

I might be an Idiot but I'm not an Arsehole!

« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2009, 20:26:41 pm »

The more I look at this thread the more I want a split  Wink Smiley

You either "Get It" or you don't......
edcraig

« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2009, 20:42:39 pm »

Marc will update me with more pics as the restoration continues....so I'll keep you posted  I'm working on getting some pics of my old split too.

....Ed
Lee.C

« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2009, 21:15:49 pm »

Marc will update me with more pics as the restoration continues....so I'll keep you posted  I'm working on getting some pics of my old split too.

....Ed

cool look forward to seeing those dude - also does this mean you know whereabouts of the old green split  Huh Smiley

alfie the monster

« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2009, 23:51:30 pm »

From the pictures i would be leaving as is and just cleaning and touching up, as it still looks awesome.

Clean it? Nah leave it dusty for at least one event  Grin

JG54 Grunherz
Rennsurfer

« Reply #37 on: May 07, 2009, 00:31:43 am »

Clean it? Nah leave it dusty for at least one event  Grin

Here, here! I agree with Alfie.

~Sarge
edcraig

« Reply #38 on: May 07, 2009, 00:44:41 am »

Yes. Located my split a few weeks ago.  Asking the current owner to send me some pics of it in it's current condition. 
Rennsurfer

« Reply #39 on: May 07, 2009, 00:53:45 am »

Yes. Located my split a few weeks ago.  Asking the current owner to send me some pics of it in it's current condition. 

Ed, any possibility of getting it back?

~Sarge
edcraig

« Reply #40 on: May 07, 2009, 01:07:09 am »

I did offer to buy it back, but he told me that he wants to pass it along to his kids.  I'd love to have it back, but happy to hear he's keeping it his family.  Guess it's been in storage for 20 + years.
Steve DKK
DKK

« Reply #41 on: May 07, 2009, 01:17:21 am »

OK i have been away for some years.  I knew Marc when he Managed the AutoHaus on Whittier Blvd.

Where is he now?

Go fast, don't turn
edcraig

« Reply #42 on: May 07, 2009, 01:20:30 am »

He's living up in Washington now.
Rennsurfer

« Reply #43 on: May 07, 2009, 01:26:51 am »

Guess it's been in storage for 20 + years.

WOW... that's cool. At least you know where your old car is. I'd love to find mine. Perhaps one of these days.

~Sarge
Lee.C

« Reply #44 on: May 07, 2009, 01:31:47 am »

I did offer to buy it back, but he told me that he wants to pass it along to his kids.  I'd love to have it back, but happy to hear he's keeping it his family.  Guess it's been in storage for 20 + years.

Shame but its cool he's keepin it in his family - am I right in sayin it had Gold Empi 8's on it when you sold it? and if so does it still have them on it?

All this is gettin me excited  Wink Grin

Steve DKK
DKK

« Reply #45 on: May 07, 2009, 01:34:20 am »

I'm in Washington.  Does Marc play on the lounge?  Anyway to get in touch?

Go fast, don't turn
marc1951

« Reply #46 on: May 07, 2009, 04:36:50 am »

Yikes.......I'm away for a week and here we are again.

First...thanks Ed for posting the pics I sent you.
 Frankly, I was embarrassed to show the world how neglected the car has been.  My friends and wife have been trying to get me to do something with the car for a while now, but it was some of the comments some of you made to me that made me realize the car is a bit of history and I need to restore the car to it’s former glory. It will be a driver, not a trailer queen. I enjoy driving my cars and the car will be "old school" as it was in that California Look issue of Hot VWs.

After I bought the car (thanks to Ron Flemming's help) I started collecting all the missing parts for the split window for a few years and since the paint was starting to show it’s age, I finally decided to do a complete rebuild………………that has never been finished!
I started a complete body off redo of the car while I lived in California and was 90% done when I towed it to Washington.  All it lacked was upholstery, some finish wiring, and sticking in the killer motor I had built for it.  At first I lived in an apartment and so the car sat in my bosses garage for a few months. He had cats with claws and boys with bicycles and bad things happened.
Later I went through a divorce that, to make a long story short, forced me to leave the car in the forest for a year with only a car cover to protect it.  It’s amazing what damage that can do in the NorthWest and I couldn’t bring myself to deal with it so the car just sat in my shop abandoned while I worked on other car projects.
Now my shop is filling with body parts as I take her apart again.

The pictures Ed uploaded here are of the car before I started taking her apart and a week later as I carefully disect the car trying to salvage what I can.

It’s slow going due to rusted fasteners, switches installed with epoxy (never thought I would be taking it apart again), trying to save as much as possible and trying to figure out the “clever” wiring I came up with 30 years ago. I ran everything through relays and circuit breakers.

Let's see..........what were some of the questions?....BRMs, yes I currently own the bare minimum quantity of BRMs; 4 for the road, 1 for a spare, and 2 for slicks. I used to own more, including the BRMs off the Underdog, but sold them to friends years ago.
What else.......the rear deck lid is the original one, I did change to the "heart" tail lights (because I like them), and after having someone "taco" my front hood, I replaced that and had the emblem "hump" shrunk out.....and added hood springs to prevent future damage. I also added porsche drum brakes all around and if they are still useable, they will remain.

I don't remember what trans the car had when I bought it but it now has close ratio gears and a ZF liimited slip ( I remember buying it for $162 back in the early 70's).
When I first bought the car, it had a 1700, single port motor that embarrassed a lot of dual weber cars at the street races. I soon replaced that motor with a dual 48IDA motor but not before the photo shoot and that's why there were no pictures of the motor.
The motor I built for the car just before moving to Washington was a 84mm DPR, Carillo SS rods, Aries 92mm slipper skirts, Fumio heads (and they cost me a fortune back in the 70's!), 48IDAs, Joe Hunt mag and whatever I can't remember. When I sold the motor (remember the divorce I mentioned?....It was crunch time and I had to sell it and a spare "racing" trans!!), I kept the carbs and the mag which I will use on the new motor which I haven't decided on yet.

I think that should answer most of your questions and I will try to post pictures as I go.

Thanks for the support,

Marc Buehler

The legendary DRA car club
(Der Rennmeister Association)
marc1951

« Reply #47 on: May 07, 2009, 04:53:17 am »

I'm in Washington.  Does Marc play on the lounge?  Anyway to get in touch?

Marysville, Washington

1951split@buehlerenterprises.com

Rennsurfer

« Reply #48 on: May 07, 2009, 06:18:48 am »

Right on, Marc... thank you for the detailed post on the car. Very cool that you're going to make it a driver and not a show car. That's the way Cal Look VWs should be in my opinion. Can't wait to see how it turns out. Split window Cal Lookers are AWESOME!

~Sarge
edcraig

« Reply #49 on: May 07, 2009, 06:28:50 am »

Hi Marc,

Great post.  I think you answered lot of questions for everyone.  Keep the info coming!

...Ed.
stealth67vw

« Reply #50 on: May 07, 2009, 06:40:34 am »

Divorce sucks. I've been there and it suck the best parts out out of you, both emotional and Veedubial. Grin

John Bates
JB Machining Services
1967 street bug 2020lbs w/driver
12.34 @ 108 mph 1/4
7.76 @ 89mph 1/8
Lee.C

« Reply #51 on: May 07, 2009, 07:55:27 am »

Thanks for droppin in marc  Grin

Oh and Ed - I just read KS book AGAIN so sorry for suggesting you would "gold" empi*'s on your split Wink Smiley

vwcab

peter

« Reply #52 on: May 07, 2009, 14:10:49 pm »

Have fun with the built-up,Marc and keep us informed.

'72 standard käfer
'74 cal-look project
'78 1303 cabrio
'12 Triumph street triple

ESCARABAJO's CALIENTEs
Black Sheep

less is more

« Reply #53 on: May 07, 2009, 19:09:24 pm »

Thanks for your reply Marc , cant wait to here what you decide for your engine combo 70's inspired ??  Cool
Great to read your report on what you've been through with the 51 , I did wonder what the late chrome hood support's were about .
Good luck and happy spannering  Smiley

Stick with what you know works .
13.03 @ 98mph
johnl

« Reply #54 on: May 07, 2009, 19:25:56 pm »

Marc,

Glad you are back into again as I didn't want to be the only "old guy" living his second childhood.... Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Best of luck with Billy Arroyo's old ride.  For a period I had those front seats in my '63 thanks to Billy.

John Lazenby

Volkswagens Limited, Der Kleiner Panzers Founder Member
Celebrating 60 years of Volkswagens in my life 1963-2023

Life is a learning experience and then you die but when you do you've lived a good life if you contributed to your fellow man.
lawrence

« Reply #55 on: May 07, 2009, 19:48:05 pm »

It is really cool to hear the background on these old cars. Thanks for posting, Marc. You should build a duplicate of the engine you had before. 92x84 is not common these days.

"Happiness is a Hot VW!"
kev d

« Reply #56 on: May 07, 2009, 21:48:59 pm »

WOW Shocked

Wonder which other cars are still hidden away?
 Cool

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body , but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy shit ... what a ride"
marc1951

« Reply #57 on: May 08, 2009, 03:29:38 am »

Marc,

Glad you are back into again as I didn't want to be the only "old guy" living his second childhood.... Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Best of luck with Billy Arroyo's old ride.  For a period I had those front seats in my '63 thanks to Billy.

John Lazenby

Thanks John.

I think the seats are the only thing that hasn't been changed on the car since Billy had his time with the car........and although I will have them redone, I want to try to keep the same design.

.......and there are a lot of us "old guys" out there doing the same thing.
I was lucky to have been able to be a crewman on a nostalgic AA/Fuel Altered for a few years and everybody we raced with, all over Norh America were "old guys".
I was lucky to have the resources to build my dream car when I was in High school, a '57 Chevy, and most of my 55-56-57 Chevy friends....."old guys".
And now I'm lucky to still own a great car from my past (over 35 years ago)......

We're not alone, John.

Marc Buehler
DRA

Joe H.

« Reply #58 on: May 08, 2009, 03:41:55 am »

A few months ago ago Marc appeared at our monthly meeting. (I am with the Cascade Kombis, we put the on the Vintage Meet here in Seattle.) At first he didn't say much, but once he told us what kind of VW he had a few jaws dropped. Shocked His good friend Bob deserves some credit for waking up the VW addict in Marc. He built a killer Ghia, and sounds like an awesome fabricator.
Don't be ashamed of your car Marc, you have held on to it all these years and that is what counts!

BTW, I have a extra set of 356 B fronts with hardware if you need em. Wink

marc1951

« Reply #59 on: May 08, 2009, 04:41:28 am »

A few months ago ago Marc appeared at our monthly meeting. (I am with the Cascade Kombis, we put the on the Vintage Meet here in Seattle.) At first he didn't say much, but once he told us what kind of VW he had a few jaws dropped. Shocked His good friend Bob deserves some credit for waking up the VW addict in Marc. He built a killer Ghia, and sounds like an awesome fabricator.
Don't be ashamed of your car Marc, you have held on to it all these years and that is what counts!

BTW, I have a extra set of 356 B fronts with hardware if you need em. Wink

Thanks Joe,

Bob was another crew member of the drag car and we towed that thing all over the country. You get to know someone pretty well when you're stuck with them in a truck for days, share a cheap motel room and wrench with them. He was responsible for my '57 Chevy project ....... and he loves to spend my money. <grin>
I know that as soon as he get's the Ghia painted, he will be over helping me with the split and I won't be able to stop him (not that I would want to).
I should post pictures of his '71 Ghia. He is quite creative.

and you should post pictures of your Ghia as well. I know you're a long way from having it done but I think everyone would be interested in your retro rod with an Okrasa 36hp motor.

Marc

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 17 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: