The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 03:11:29 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350646 Posts in 28563 Topics by 6811 Members
Latest Member: Bren
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Current Pics of Marc Buehler's Split Window
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] Print
Author Topic: Current Pics of Marc Buehler's Split Window  (Read 154267 times)
marc1951

« Reply #480 on: December 22, 2010, 04:30:42 am »

looks like the linkage on the conda green split when it was still brown.
nicely fabricated, just wondering if bar can roll smoothly through the 3 clamps that bolt it to the shroud.

I don't remember what kind of linkage Mahaffey had on that car but I suppose there are only so many ways to make something that works.

The trick is to have the 3 supports line up perfectly vertically and spaced equal distance from the fan housing. That's the problem I've been trying to solve and I think I've got it............but time will tell.

Marc

The legendary DRA car club
(Der Rennmeister Association)
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #481 on: December 22, 2010, 06:14:08 am »

That's where I've seen it then, on older posts in this thread Cheesy

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Lee.C

I might be an Idiot but I'm not an Arsehole!

« Reply #482 on: December 22, 2010, 18:45:00 pm »

I've been wondering how things are going - its looking AWESOME dude, that motor is a bit of a tight fit  Wink

By the way what linkage is that your using Huh

Hey Lee,

Did Russell ever send you those dash panels?

I made the linkage......it's a work in progress. I wanted it to be as simple as possible and I've accomplished that. It seems to work OK but I'm tired of fiddling with it so if it gives me any grief, I'll replace it. Originally I had Teflon coated bushings to support the cross bar but I forgot to allow for the thickness of the chrome plating so used my back up brackets that weren't opened up for the bushings.

Marc

Hey Marc - Na I haven't got them off him yet (to be honest I had forgot all about them doh!)  Smiley

That linkage is pretty cool - I have been thinking ALOT about a linkage for PROJECT 66 and I have been thinking about a 356 style setup  Undecided I have ALWAYS thought it would be better & easyier to control the linkage from behind the fanhousing - mainly due to the flex/twist of the engine when driving - Any thoughts Huh Smiley

You either "Get It" or you don't......
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #483 on: December 22, 2010, 19:10:09 pm »

it cool to see your car alive marc ,congrats

and here'sa pict of mike's engine  Wink

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #484 on: December 22, 2010, 19:50:36 pm »

That linkage is pretty cool - I have been thinking ALOT about a linkage for PROJECT 66 and I have been thinking about a 356 style setup  Undecided I have ALWAYS thought it would be better & easyier to control the linkage from behind the fanhousing - mainly due to the flex/twist of the engine when driving - Any thoughts Huh Smiley

The same thought crossed my mind for AssHull's '67, can't have enough Porsche influence Roll Eyes But he already had Berg linkage, so we reused that. You would have to make sure it clears the doghouse (if so equipped), but other than that, I don't see a problem. It would really clean up the engine compartment.

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
marc1951

« Reply #485 on: December 22, 2010, 22:00:56 pm »

it cool to see your car alive marc ,congrats

and here'sa pict of mike's engine  Wink

You are amazing.......just mention the carb linkage that was on some car 40 years ago and....wam...you produce a picture of it!! 
I never was much for taking pictures back then but when and if I can find some old pictures, I'm going to send them to you for your archive.

Now that linkage on Mike's motor is about as complicated as my linkage is simple. Looks like he used levers like Berg but mounted on the fanhousing directly.

Lee:
I originally started making my linkage to be mounted on the back of the fan housing but I had the arms coming to the front of the carbs which made them very long, heavy, and changed the ratio drastically (I didn"t think the arms would fit going the other way).  After spending way to much time trying to come up with a bell crank to make it work, I decided it wasn't worth it and made what you see on my motor now.
You would have a hard time convincing me that the twist of the motor was a problem and that moving the linkage 4" could make it better. The only reason I can see to put the linkage on the back is to reduce clutter.
Bergs linkage has got to be the best with the ratio changing levers that give you full throttle with smooth normal foot pressure and throttle plates that return to idle without a multitude of springs, all mounted on a sturdy piece of steel......it's also ugly.

If you come up with something that works, I would be interested in seeing how you did it.

Marc

The legendary DRA car club
(Der Rennmeister Association)
Lee.C

I might be an Idiot but I'm not an Arsehole!

« Reply #486 on: December 23, 2010, 00:36:26 am »

Cool glad I'm not the only one thinking about this setup  Wink

I am not saying it has a MASSIVE effect being on this side of the fanhousing but its just always Bugged me (excuse the pun) It just seems logical to me - is there any reason you could not put the levers/arm on the "backs" of the carbs  Undecided Smiley

You either "Get It" or you don't......
Abadco2

« Reply #487 on: March 29, 2020, 18:10:58 pm »

This might start a fire fight.
But both those splits were originally in their first glory DKP bugs.
Green one, the famous baddest bug on the street, 2180 powered, BRMs, Brad interior, Becker paint and it did indeed start out brown, Mike Mahaffey’s.
Red one, the most beautiful DKP car when it came out, ( after Aronson’s white car was already on the streets ), Brad black interior and Beckers red paint, Billy Arroyo’s.
I am just stating a fact.
Neil Davies

« Reply #488 on: March 30, 2020, 20:00:18 pm »

I've just read this thread from start to finish, and I'm so glad all the photos are still there.
Both splits are seriously cool cars, follow the rulebook (in fact, were setting the rules for others to follow) and its amazing to think that 50 years on, they still exist.

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
70slooker

hello

« Reply #489 on: April 01, 2020, 20:28:31 pm »

Why can’t I see new posts? Maybe if I reply?

Zündfolge Car Club
Neil Davies

« Reply #490 on: April 02, 2020, 15:44:13 pm »

Why can’t I see new posts? Maybe if I reply?
I'm the same - even my own reply from a couple of days ago. Keeps saying Database error.

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: