The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 01, 2024, 15:12:13 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350869 Posts in 28606 Topics by 6828 Members
Latest Member: GSW Racing
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  painting a crankcase or leaving it bare metal....
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: painting a crankcase or leaving it bare metal....  (Read 9783 times)
surf monkey

« on: May 25, 2009, 11:13:20 am »

are there any advantages to either....we`ve just stripped all the paint off of our 1600cc tp ...ready to give a thoruogh clean be fore adding all the goodies to the interior...this is the first beetle motor i`ve rebuilt but i`ve built numerous V8s in the past...all of which i`ve sprayed the block before putting it back together...would it be ok to just shoot a couple of coats of grey/silver over the case or should i go for the high temp paint....or should i leave it bare metal....
Frank LUX

Back...Soon...hopefully!!!

« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2009, 11:47:50 am »

are there any advantages to either....we`ve just stripped all the paint off of our 1600cc tp ...ready to give a thoruogh clean be fore adding all the goodies to the interior...this is the first beetle motor i`ve rebuilt but i`ve built numerous V8s in the past...all of which i`ve sprayed the block before putting it back together...would it be ok to just shoot a couple of coats of grey/silver over the case or should i go for the high temp paint....or should i leave it bare metal....

The crankcases are made out of magnesium, and as ar as I am concernt should not be Painted...!!! They look shitty with Paint specially if painted silver.... Wink

My 2 cents,

Frank

1960 Ragtop, 2332cc, 48 IDA's, Joe Hunt Magneto, someday it will be back...
1953 Split Window, 1799cc, 48 IDA's, Don Zig Magneto,  OG BRM's...in da works...
SumFun Racecar, 2332cc, 48 IDA's, Magneto
nicolas

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2009, 11:48:15 am »

no high temperature paint as it will isolate the case and heat wont be transferred as it should. if you want to paint it go with a thin coat off flat black (Bill Fisher recommands it in his book), but even that isn't done anymore these days. maybe for the better. thick and isolating paints like BBQ/high temperature/ powdercoating / or even polishing is better not done if you want the best heattransfer.

DeanoVW

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2009, 12:37:42 pm »

leave it bare metal.... Wink
Lee.C

I might be an Idiot but I'm not an Arsehole!

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2009, 13:36:30 pm »

mine is painted with regular spray paint and finished in Satin Black  Smiley

You either "Get It" or you don't......
Dave Rosique

nobodyouno

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2009, 14:55:45 pm »

On a VW, bare is best.

~DR.
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2009, 16:17:46 pm »

Do whatever you want, but being an air-cooled engine with a magnesium case, it would be best to simply leave it bare and just give it a thorough cleaning inside & out. Personally, I've never understood the concept of painting these types of engines, but to each their own.

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
lawrence

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2009, 18:51:36 pm »

I put 1 very thin coat of gray engine enamel (not hi temp) on the outside of the case to minimize corrosion. My car does not have a garage and is exposed to the elements. Mask off cylinder openings, oil passages, any threads and any other place where a proper seal is important.

"Happiness is a Hot VW!"
Pas

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2009, 00:13:00 am »

I vote bare.

You stay classy, Cal-look Lounge.
Jason Foster

7.69 87mph 12.35 106 mph

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2009, 01:15:27 am »

Bare Mag. please.

STRENGTH THROUGH JOY...........

Der Kleiner Panzers
SlingShot

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2009, 02:27:32 am »

There is this old guy in town that used to do all of our VW machine work, he used to work for Lockheed Martin back in the 60's developing state of the art photo equipment for the SR-71 Black Bird. Anyway he would always tell me about this super duper paint that they used to use for aircrafts. Don't rember what part of the aircraft they used this paint for, but it would disapate heat and was super expensive back then. Technology has changed so I would assume there is a paint similar to this out there somewhere.

Will Race For Beer !!!
Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2009, 05:21:12 am »

There is this old guy in town that used to do all of our VW machine work, he used to work for Lockheed Martin back in the 60's developing state of the art photo equipment for the SR-71 Black Bird. Anyway he would always tell me about this super duper paint that they used to use for aircrafts. Don't rember what part of the aircraft they used this paint for, but it would disapate heat and was super expensive back then. Technology has changed so I would assume there is a paint similar to this out there somewhere.

It was probably the black paint they used on the fuselage of the SR-71. Going mach 3.3+ builds some serious frictional heat.

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
Shubee2 (DSK)

"There's No School Like OLD SCHOOL"

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2009, 05:58:57 am »

LOL Just Came in from the Garage And Saw this Post  I just Painted my Mag Case Tonight I have always Painted VW Case's unless they are Brand New, then I leave them Bare, I use A Satin Black Made for the Case And Heads on MotorCycle's  it is Expensive but it is Breathable It Looks good and dose not Chip Easy it is fuel proof and you can wipe any Dust or Oil drips off for you guys that build leakers LOL   

Der Selten Kafers VW Club.
Founding Member Est: 1976

58 Ragtop Old School Cal Look
66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
SlingShot

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2009, 06:36:01 am »

LOL Just Came in from the Garage And Saw this Post  I just Painted my Mag Case Tonight I have always Painted VW Case's unless they are Brand New, then I leave them Bare, I use A Satin Black Made for the Case And Heads on MotorCycle's  it is Expensive but it is Breathable It Looks good and dose not Chip Easy it is fuel proof and you can wipe any Dust or Oil drips off for you guys that build leakers LOL   

You know better Shubee. Show us what your using  Roll Eyes

Will Race For Beer !!!
Shubee2 (DSK)

"There's No School Like OLD SCHOOL"

« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2009, 16:40:12 pm »

You know better Shubee. Show us what your using  Roll Eyes
Here is What I Use it is Made for Air Cooled Case's and Motorcycle Heads  Made by PJ 1 Coatings

Satin Black Engine Paint withstands 500 degrees F.
Matches factory engine finish.
11oz. Aerosol can

Der Selten Kafers VW Club.
Founding Member Est: 1976

58 Ragtop Old School Cal Look
66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
simon uk

« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2009, 20:35:06 pm »

I just read a thread on this and apparantly putting half the case through the dishwasher works really good! Dont let your missus find out though.... In all seriousness, leaving it bare metal but cleaning it up nicely sounds good to me.
banditina

« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2009, 16:07:31 pm »

I give it a thorough cleaning inside and out...

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_S8NzUWeTRT0/R7Wg-MLNW-I/AAAAAAAAAuo/mipMOa4XNAo/s1600-h/IMG_2246.JPG

Diederick/DVK

They're never done till they're sold

« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2009, 16:08:05 pm »

what did you do to it?
a bit too shiny for me, but it must have cost you some hours!

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
DVK ~ Der Vollgas Kreuzers
Donny B.

« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2009, 16:12:18 pm »

A friend of mine did that years ago...  Didn't last long...

Don Bulitta
Wolfsburg Registry
Lee.C

I might be an Idiot but I'm not an Arsehole!

« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2009, 16:34:55 pm »

Cool - goood to see people putting the hours in  Wink Smiley

You either "Get It" or you don't......
banditina

« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2009, 16:44:10 pm »

-
« Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 16:46:58 pm by banditina » Logged

banditina

« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2009, 16:46:19 pm »

A friend of mine did that years ago...  Didn't last long...

maybe...
this is the 2nd case that i do (a as41 and as21)...... spent some time becomes opaque but the case is still uniform color....

this is as21....

spent one year..

Diederick/DVK

They're never done till they're sold

« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2009, 16:46:46 pm »

nicely done! looks better after a year than it does now  Wink

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
DVK ~ Der Vollgas Kreuzers
Rick Meredith
DKK

« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2009, 17:46:01 pm »

I always just painted the part that was visible in the engine compartment semi-gloss black and left the rest of it natural.

Felix/DFL

« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2009, 21:14:13 pm »

What about that Goldies?  Grin

As I am a typ-3 nut where half of the case is visible so I like it painted satin black in a typ-3. Next time I will try VHT engine enamel, as the thin high temp. paint chipped away...
And a nice raw finish in a bug for me...
Jim Ratto

« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2009, 21:35:26 pm »

What about that Goldies?  Grin

As I am a typ-3 nut where half of the case is visible so I like it painted satin black in a typ-3. Next time I will try VHT engine enamel, as the thin high temp. paint chipped away...
And a nice raw finish in a bug for me...

I miss my goldy. best case a guy could buy... the German filled goldy.
Donny B.

« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2009, 21:39:36 pm »

Do not use the VHT hi-temp paint for exhausts.  It has clay in it and it holds in the heat.  Use paint designed for aircooled motorcycle engines.

Don Bulitta
Wolfsburg Registry
Rick Meredith
DKK

« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2009, 22:09:31 pm »

I don't think you can get the same stuff anymore but I used Rustoleum BBQ paint in semi-gloss.

kingsburgphil

« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2009, 22:11:26 pm »

Since I see no previous reference to it , how about Alodine 1201. It leaves that light golden color you see on new castings. Its available from Aircraft
Spruce in Anaheim, Calif. and others. A little hard to ship, so expect some challenges.

Also, how about chrome pickle?  Check out Tech Plate also in Anaheim. You might never use paint again  Wink
I used these products when I repaired the Navy's flying baby burners back in the Nam era, good stuff.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2009, 22:18:44 pm by kingsburgphil » Logged
danny gabbard

gabfab

« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2009, 01:06:07 am »

Tec plate in anaheim is also a great place to have cad plateing done, They are very professional and have never lost anything I've sent them. All the hardware on my personal and customer cars have been done by them

A poor craftsman, Blame's it on poor tools.  GAB-FAB shop # 775 246-3069
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: