The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 00:33:35 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350689 Posts in 28577 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  VW's LIMITED, DKP I AND AUTO HAUS PHOTOS
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print
Author Topic: VW's LIMITED, DKP I AND AUTO HAUS PHOTOS  (Read 25488 times)
johnl

« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2009, 18:11:04 pm »

Here are a few more of Christie.  Note the "Pole Dancer" shot.......... Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

Volkswagens Limited, Der Kleiner Panzers Founder Member
Celebrating 60 years of Volkswagens in my life 1963-2023

Life is a learning experience and then you die but when you do you've lived a good life if you contributed to your fellow man.
johnl

« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2009, 18:19:34 pm »

On to more old Auto Haus stuff.  This I think came from a local High School Annual.  It seems to me that Christie found it somewhere way back and kept it.  Smart girl !!!!!!!   Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink Smiley Smiley

The guy behind the counter is Lynn Rosevear.   Cool Cool Cool Cool

Life is a learning experience and then you die but when you do you've lived a good life if you contributed to your fellow man.
johnl

« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2009, 18:30:04 pm »

A photo of DKP I founding member Gary Michael Huggins in tank training.  This was taken August 01, 1967 and was prior to him becoming a helicopter pilot.  He was shot down at least once in Nam while flying, but lived to tell about it.  He is also the guy that came up with the name "Der Kleiner Panzers" and the logo.

Mike now lives in Green Valley, Az. which is just outside Tucson and we talk regurally.  His parents are what I'd consider to be my second parents.  Unfortunately his Mom Margaret is not doing well at all currently.  Sweet people, and for any of you old timers that ever met them I'm sure you would agree.

Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2009, 18:44:42 pm »

John, say Happy Birthday to Christie for me – you're a lucky man, and she's a lucky girl. I feel truly privileged to know you both as friends.

Now, where are the rest of the photos!  Grin

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
johnl

« Reply #34 on: May 26, 2009, 18:54:15 pm »

John, say Happy Birthday to Christie for me – you're a lucky man, and she's a lucky girl. I feel truly privileged to know you both as friends.

Now, where are the rest of the photos!  Grin

Keith,

I'll give her a big wet kiss for you !!!!  Shocked Shocked Shocked  Yes I'm very lucky to have her beside me through my life.  What memories we have shared for almost 43 years.  I hope God grants us another 43.

Christie and I also consider ourselves privliged to call you friend and neither of us use the term lightly.  Thanks to you for your dedication to the VW world and we both hope you never quit.

Best,

J & C

johnl

« Reply #35 on: May 26, 2009, 19:07:49 pm »

Here is a shot of the Butternut car in January of 1972 in the driveway at the Palm/Harbor Blvd. address in Garden Grove.  Christie and I had been married for five months at this time.  The car was actually at Becker's being painted when we were married in August of '71.

You will note that the wheels are not yet painted the dark brown to match the interior and sunroof.  Also no caps as I guess I had not purchased the non-knockof type yet.  When I did I think the cost was about $20 for the set of four.  The warehouse I purchased them from was very close to Clearman's Steak n' Stein and I swear I could smell the cheese bread.. Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

I also note a green VW in the background which could be Mahaffey's split.  We used to gather at this location because the front yard was big and we could get lots of cars there and got good exposure from the traffic going by.

johnl

« Reply #36 on: May 26, 2009, 19:11:24 pm »

A younger Dave Greiner (PROFORMANCE) at the Dale St. Auto Haus warehouse picking up some parts.  I'm guessing Dave had his own store by this time.  I was at Dave's place last week and although he looks a bit more gray he is the same mild manner great guy...........

johnl

« Reply #37 on: May 26, 2009, 19:15:23 pm »

A photo of a much younger and thinner Paul Opperman (DGVA).  Paul worked both the warehouse and retail stores.  We are still very close friends to this day.  His wife Sue grew up right around the corner from where I did and she is a decendent of one of the founding families of Anaheim.  Some of you Anaheimer's might remember Weiser's Sporting Goods on then Center St., later Lincoln Ave.

javabug

WHAT'S UP WID DA BOOM BOOM???

« Reply #38 on: May 26, 2009, 19:24:00 pm »

Today is Christie's birthday, so here are some of my favortie shots of her and me back in the day.  I'll be meeting her at Disneyland later today to help her celebrate #59................ Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool

Please wish Mrs. Lazenby a happy birthday from the weirdo she spoke with on the phone while you were away.   Cool

P.S.  Don't stop with the photos and stories.

Mike H.

Sven was right.
Lee.C

I might be an Idiot but I'm not an Arsehole!

« Reply #39 on: May 26, 2009, 19:28:30 pm »

all I can say is THANKYOU John  Grin its awesome to see the REAL history behind you guys and your club - I'm also diggin the "Nam" pic's - Keep em comin dude  Grin

You either "Get It" or you don't......
johnl

« Reply #40 on: May 26, 2009, 19:34:32 pm »

Today is Christie's birthday, so here are some of my favortie shots of her and me back in the day.  I'll be meeting her at Disneyland later today to help her celebrate #59................ Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool

Please wish Mrs. Lazenby a happy birthday from the weirdo she spoke with on the phone while you were away.   Cool

P.S.  Don't stop with the photos and stories.

You keep calling her "Mrs. Lazenby" and she will think your a "weirdo".  Shocked Shocked Shocked  Weirdo, wasn't that an expression used back in the '50's??  Just how old are you anyway Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh

johnl

« Reply #41 on: May 26, 2009, 19:36:16 pm »

all I can say is THANKYOU John  Grin its awesome to see the REAL history behind you guys and your club - I'm also diggin the "Nam" pic's - Keep em comin dude  Grin

It pleases me beyond words that you guys appreciate this history.  I'll do my best to keep them coming.. Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

johnl

« Reply #42 on: May 26, 2009, 19:41:18 pm »

This will be my last post today as I must leave and go visit the "Rich Rat" at the "Tragic Kingdom"  Lips Sealed Lips Sealed

This photo I believe was taken at the San Diego Zoo back in the early 70's.  Front row is Bill McMillian and Mike (where is Pleasure) Lar Lar, Larson.  Second row back is Sergio Rampone and Danny Zapppla (sp).  Way in the back center standing is Doug Gordon watching out that none of the animals in the cages got to us.

speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #43 on: May 26, 2009, 19:42:55 pm »

thx for the pictures and stories john  Cool , and happy b day to christie  Kiss

Wink
fabs

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
Nico86

Turnip engine.

« Reply #44 on: May 26, 2009, 19:53:45 pm »

Great pics ! Thanks for posting Wink.

Lee.C

« Reply #45 on: May 26, 2009, 21:17:57 pm »

oh yeah Happy birthday Mrs L Grin

jimi323

« Reply #46 on: May 26, 2009, 23:38:52 pm »

happy birthday to the Lady...
and thanks so much for the things and the memories that you are allowing us to see..and to feel!
thank u John
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #47 on: May 27, 2009, 00:11:57 am »

AWESOME, John. Those pictures are too cool for words. Thanks.

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
Lee.C

« Reply #48 on: May 27, 2009, 01:07:39 am »

I've just been back throught this thread and I am still in taking it all in - I'm lovin the "never before seen " shot of Butternut and the warhouse shots WOW just take another look guys and check out some of that stock  Shocked Wink Smiley

By the way John my SPG roller crank cam from Dave Greiner and it turns out he was at "grade school" (I think) with Gary Holznecht of Lil Snort Fame  Smiley

Thankyou John  Grin

Dustin

« Reply #49 on: May 27, 2009, 03:13:43 am »

Thank you so much for sharing all the pictures and memories!

Such a small world John! We celebrated my wife's 46th birthday today at her favorite place on earth, the beach. We are high school sweethearts from Garden Grove High School, class of 80 & 81, married since 1985. Ironically, we almost rented that house on the corner of Palm & Harbor shortly after we were married.  You're right, the yard was perfect for parking a boatload of VW's!!

Wish the wife a Happy Birthday for us!
Dustin

Der Kleiner Panzers III
www.dkpcarclub.com

'69 Tangerine Orange Karmann Ghia- In progress
'66 Marina blue Chevy II Nova Hardtop- Project mothballed
Jason Foster

7.69 87mph 12.35 106 mph

« Reply #50 on: May 27, 2009, 04:00:58 am »

Thanks John for posting this stuff for us to see and the stories behind it all are what makes it! That's whats so great about this place the history and stories. Hope you had a great birthday celebration with the wife and we all look forward to seeing more of your scrapbook gold.

STRENGTH THROUGH JOY...........

Der Kleiner Panzers
johnl

« Reply #51 on: May 27, 2009, 15:33:43 pm »

Thank you so much for sharing all the pictures and memories!

Such a small world John! We celebrated my wife's 46th birthday today at her favorite place on earth, the beach. We are high school sweethearts from Garden Grove High School, class of 80 & 81, married since 1985. Ironically, we almost rented that house on the corner of Palm & Harbor shortly after we were married.  You're right, the yard was perfect for parking a boatload of VW's!!

Wish the wife a Happy Birthday for us!
Dustin

Dustin,  I remember you told me that you and your wife were from Garden Grove.  I didn't know you tried to rent the house, but I can tell you when we lived there the back yard looked like a bombing site with holes all over.  We never did much back there except let our dog Sadie reside.

I drove by G.G. High today on the way to work.  The Carnies were packing up from the Strawberry Festival and I thought I caught a glimse of Stan Davis.. Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

Didn't I meet your wife at Edmistons's just before the Bug-In?  If so she was a mail carrier and very attractive.  Hey I may be old, but I still can see.. Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Will you be at Cars & Coffee this weekend?  More of you VW guys need to make a showing.

johnl

« Reply #52 on: May 27, 2009, 16:33:29 pm »

Okay, back from Disneyland and I have just a few more photos and stories at this time.  This is a shot of myself with Shakey Jake's (Chuck Babbet) sedan.  Nice ride !!!!  I think this was taken at the Bug-In in '71 or '72.  Note the burgundy Levi cords I'm wearing.  These were very fashionable to us DKP guys back in the day....

johnl

« Reply #53 on: May 27, 2009, 16:37:36 pm »

A shot of our '71 bus taken at Fraiser Park, California.  The cabin belonged to a family friend.  Ed and Sue Craig joined us for that weekend.  This may be the only photo I have of the bus.

johnl

« Reply #54 on: May 27, 2009, 16:47:45 pm »

A couple of photos of VW's Limited member Ron Reeves and his then girl friend Lori Snowden.  These were taken in a photo booth.  You younger guys will know nothing about them I'm sure.

Ron's step dad Jim Gary was a very successful dentist in Fullerton and they lived in Sunny Hills which was and still is I guess the rich area of Fullerton.  Ron was a good guy, but a real goof ball.  I can remember him waxing his car in the garage and getting so tired he laid on his side to do the lower part of the car.

In November of 1964 I was invited to go with the family to Las Vegas for the weekend.  Ron and I left right after school on Friday and drove his '63 green sunroof car over.  We stayed in the original Flamangio Hotel and were actually in Buggy Seigle's room.  It had a huge closet that originally was Buggy's private elevator.

Dr. Gary showed us a first class weekend and we saw several performers including Eddie Fisher and Wayne Newton.  This was when Wayne Newton was just beginning.  Also we got to see Casius Clay, later Mohamad Allie work out before a major fight.  They would allow no one to smoe in the area.

On the trip home the cloth sunroof blew off and it was very cole for most of the trip.  I haven't seen Ron in years, but I know he still lives in the same house and Sarge has seen him at the dealership.

johnl

« Reply #55 on: May 27, 2009, 16:59:33 pm »

A shot of me I believe at Auto Haus in Orange, CA.  I don't know who took this, but I was doing some paper work as I was one of the few employees who could read and write.  This is why I made those big "Weasle" bucks back in the day.. Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

johnl

« Reply #56 on: May 27, 2009, 17:04:23 pm »

This photo was taken at Fred and Margaret Huggins' home I'm thinking in the early '80's.  Mike and Leaneah, now divorced and Christie and myself.  Their only daughter Kaycee just graduated from college a couple of weeks ago.

johnl

« Reply #57 on: May 27, 2009, 18:32:34 pm »

HA....So true, John. 
Stan Davis!.......one of the most interesting people I've ever met..... Not that Ed isn't an interesting person, of course. <grin>
Anyone who knew Stan has a few stories, I'm sure. Unfortunately most of the stories may border on bad taste.

I don't know about anyone else, but I enjoy your thread, John.

Marc

For the moment I have no other photos or stories, but I'll keep looking.

I needed to reply to Marc's comments regarding Stan Davis.  I've said for the past several decades that if I ever had to write a story of my most unforgetable character it would be without a shadow of a doubt based on Stan Davis and the stories that go with him.

Here is one that Christie and I were remembering at dinner last night.  When the club use to go to the drags at Carlsbad Raceway we can remember Stan sitting on a trash can metal lid and being towed by a bus.  It got hot immediately and he jumped up yelling in pain.  Next he tried standing on it and his shoe soles started to melt.

Just another day at the office... Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #58 on: May 27, 2009, 18:38:49 pm »

I totally recognize the guy in the Orange Auto Haus picture.... I never put it together until now!  Wink

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
johnl

« Reply #59 on: May 27, 2009, 18:41:22 pm »

I totally recognize the guy in the Orange Auto Haus picture.... I never put it together until now!  Wink

So what did you put together Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: