The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 19:54:49 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350646 Posts in 28563 Topics by 6811 Members
Latest Member: Bren
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  VW's LIMITED, DKP I AND AUTO HAUS PHOTOS
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print
Author Topic: VW's LIMITED, DKP I AND AUTO HAUS PHOTOS  (Read 24964 times)
johnl

« on: May 26, 2009, 01:26:25 am »

Over the weekend I was able to find more photos of VW's Limited (pre DKP I) more DKP I and Auto Haus Shots.  Some of these are personal, but they are part of my story.  If they bore you simply pass them by, but I hope that have some enjoyement for you.

First, this is a photo of myself heading the first Anaheim to Hollywood caravan.  My car was still in the Ruby red form and I think it had the Judson Supercharge on it then.  Note how his the front is due to the welded shocks that I've written about.  I believe the car to my left is Rich Kugel's '58 and I do remember we were all Duded up as it was a big deal for us.  This was taken in the Penny's parking lot on Lemon Street in Fullerton or Anaheim (not sure of the boundries there), but it was directly across the street from the then Anaheim Drive-In..........

Volkswagens Limited, Der Kleiner Panzers Founder Member
Celebrating 60 years of Volkswagens in my life 1963-2023

Life is a learning experience and then you die but when you do you've lived a good life if you contributed to your fellow man.
johnl

« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2009, 01:30:39 am »

Next is what I think is the first photo ever taken of Christie and myself at Disneyland (her favorite place).  This was taken on May 21, 1967 which would be exactly 10 months to the day after we met.  She was 5 days shy of 17 and I had just turned 20.  She will be 59 tomorrow and is still the love of my life. Kiss Kiss Kiss Kiss Kiss

Life is a learning experience and then you die but when you do you've lived a good life if you contributed to your fellow man.
johnl

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2009, 01:37:06 am »

These are not in any order and I'll try to break them up to make it more interesting.  Here is a shot of Ed Craig and the guy he has always looked up to, Stan Davis.  This was taken at a Bug-In back in the '70's.  Notice how close these two are.  The only problem with that is you never knew were Stans hands were or worse yet where they had been....... Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

johnl

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2009, 01:42:54 am »

A shot of my '63 sporting those wide Firestone's with fender lips.  As you can see the car is still in Firemist Green and the '32 Plymouth in the background belonged to Mike Mendenhall (VW's Limited).  I think this photo was about 1968 and shot in my parents driveway which was where some of the first club meetings took place.   Mike drove Christie and myself to here Senior Prom in the car.  Coooooooool ride.     

johnl

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2009, 01:47:09 am »

Speaking of my parents, you will find a photo of them in our back yard taken in the late '60's.  They were absoulltly the best.  I was always supported by them 100% in what ever I did.  Dad passed four years ago at 90.5 and my Mom  is doing great at this writing.  She turned 90.5 earlier this month and still lives by herslef and drives daily.  She lives in the Las Vegas area and drives over to visit us a couple of times a year, but then it is only a 300 mile drive!!!!!!    Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

johnl

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2009, 01:49:06 am »

All for now as I'm at work on the Holiday.  I'll send more tomorrow assuming you want to see them.  Let me know..................................................... Undecided Undecided Undecided Undecided Undecided Undecided Undecided

Cornpanzer

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2009, 02:14:33 am »

Cool stuff!  Thanks

'67 Turbo Sedan
Ultra VW Contributor
marc1951

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2009, 04:16:28 am »

These are not in any order and I'll try to break them up to make it more interesting.  Here is a shot of Ed Craig and the guy he has always looked up to, Stan Davis.  This was taken at a Bug-In back in the '70's.  Notice how close these two are.  The only problem with that is you never knew were Stans hands were or worse yet where they had been....... Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

HA....So true, John. 
Stan Davis!.......one of the most interesting people I've ever met..... Not that Ed isn't an interesting person, of course. <grin>
Anyone who knew Stan has a few stories, I'm sure. Unfortunately most of the stories may border on bad taste.

I don't know about anyone else, but I enjoy your thread, John.

Marc

The legendary DRA car club
(Der Rennmeister Association)
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2009, 06:48:53 am »

Great stuff, you guys.

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2009, 08:29:54 am »

Great stuff, uncle John!  Cheesy

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
deanosvws

OFF 24

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2009, 10:58:32 am »

the photo's are great and nice to hear the storys behind them. cheers dean

OUTLAW FLAT FOUR
javabug

WHAT'S UP WID DA BOOM BOOM???

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2009, 12:58:53 pm »

I'll take any 60s and 70s Southern California culture I can get.  Thanks for posting these, John.

Mike H.

Sven was right.
Sarge

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2009, 13:07:38 pm »

Thanks for sharing the memories, John!

DKP III
turtle racer

Best Et 12.84 at 171 km/h

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2009, 14:06:44 pm »

Thanks for the storys and great and nice plaisir for me !!

I love the racer, gasser nostalgia.
http://turtleracer.skynetblogs.be/
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2009, 14:24:42 pm »

village people in da place  Grin Grin Grin Grin

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
johnl

« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2009, 15:56:05 pm »

Thanks for sharing the memories, John!

Jim,

Thank you for being my friend for all of these years.  Here is a little something speical for you.  This is the only photo I have of Jim's little sister Mary Ann.  She was and will always be very speical to me.  This photo was taken in front of Edmistion's home in La Habra I'm guessing about 1966 or 67.

johnl

« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2009, 16:07:00 pm »

Here is a photo of a rather young John Lazenby behind the counter of the Auto Haus Buena Park retail store.  The shirts were something the Rosevear's came up with, but they didn't last long.  Jim Huh was a regular customer and also a fellow Anaheim High classmate.  He use to spend hours in the store and never buy anything!!

The second shot is the front of the same store with my '63 parked out front.  As stated before this was a dangerous place to park as the traffic was heavy and there were a lot of accidents.  Today I wouldn't consider parking anything I owned there. 

This site has been torn down and the only thing that is still there is a sign that directs you to the 5 freeway.  Everything may be gone, but the memories are still with me.

johnl

« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2009, 16:17:47 pm »

A photo of Lynn (The Weasle) Rosevear in his "turbo hair" format.  This was taken in his office at the 6460 Dale St. warehouse probably in the mid '70's.  He was probably just getting ready to "zick out and take care of some hockey puck".  That was one of this standard statements.

johnl

« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2009, 16:25:07 pm »

This was shot I think about 1985 in our back yard.  Left to right are;  Dwight MaGill (VW;s Limited), John Lazenby (VW's Limited & DKP I), Pete Dayton (DKP I), Gary Michael Huggins (DKP I) and Don McKay (kind of VW's Limited).  Don never owned a VW, but was a class mate of all of us.  Over the years he has worked on Top Fuel Cars and still does head work from his home in the Las Vegas area.

MaGill and Huggins are no no longer married to the gals with them, but the rest of us are.  The dog in the photo was our Dingo, Boomer and she was a great loving friend.

johnl

« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2009, 16:30:13 pm »

A shot of me on board the USS Coral Sea CVA-43.  This was taken October 01, 1967 on the 06 level as I was taking a break.  We were in the combat zone directly off the coast of Viet Nam launching air craft.  This was my first tour of two.  I served for 24 months and drew combat pay for 19 of those 24 months.

johnl

« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2009, 17:06:28 pm »

Here is a story of a somewhat regular activity we use to do.  On Tuesday nights some of us would meet at the DKP club house on Chestnut St.   We would all pile into Doug (The Mass ) Gordon's '72 bus.  He would drive us to the Anaheim Convention Center to attend Roller Derby !!  Sometimes the gals would come with us as well which just made it that much more fun.

We would sit way up high and scream and yell and basically just be obnoxious.  Our team was the L.A. Thunderbirds and I do remember on one of the other teams (the bad guys) there was a large gal named "Baby Rocko".  We would all scream her name out and when she and everyone else in the place would look up at us we would spread our legs (the guys only), point at our croutches.  Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked  Finally a 98 pound usher would come up and tell us to knock it off.  In unison we would all fip him off and he did nothing.

After the games were over we'd all pile back into Dougs bus which at the time was very new.  Doug didn't want to wait in line to exit the lot, so he would drive over the parking stops with all of us inside.  Then off for some food and back to the club house.  They were usually late nights and we'd be very tired the next day, but what fun it was....... Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Below are two of those tickets.  Note the price of admission.

johnl

« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2009, 17:11:19 pm »

A photo of my '63 in June of '71 at the DKP I Bug-In display at OCIR.  Note the Edmiston sign leaning next to the car.  This was just prior to it coming apart and becoming the Butternut car.

johnl

« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2009, 17:14:53 pm »

Another shot of the Bug-In display with the front of my '63 to the right.  People in this shot are Christie and I think the two sisters Valarie and Malarie.  Jim Brooks can provide details on these two.  The older guy I think was someone's Dad.

johnl

« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2009, 17:21:50 pm »

Once again at the Bug-In.  Left to right are Christie, Ed Craig, Stan Davis, Stan's unknown date, Bob (Hanious Backorderous) or (Horrible Hanson) Hanson, an Auto Haus employee and his family.  I think the camper to the right belonged to Ron or Lynn Rosevear.  Note the large Auto Haus sticker on the door.

johnl

« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2009, 17:42:25 pm »

This photo was taken at the house Christie was renting before we were married.  For you locals it was at the corner of Palm St. and Harbor Blvd. in Garden Grove and has just recently been torn down. 

My '63 was apart to be painted the Warbonnet Yellow.  You can see the two bar ready to transport it to the paint shop.  I think Art Alaverez used his parents Buick as the tow vehicle.

The American's on the front of the car are the two originals I purchased from the gal driving the Baja Bug after I chased her down.  They cost me $40 plus two rims and I paid for the tire mounting.  These wheels had left and right had threads for the knockoffs which I believe to be very early production.  As I recall the originals had a two prong knockoff and the later ones had three prongs.  I can't rember what happend to these two wheels, but I'm guessing I sold them after obtaining the five new ones that are displayed in the Butternut format.

In the background is then my 1970 Vert that I purcahsed new.  It had a 32NDIX Zenith, S&S headers, 5.5 VW chrome wheels with stock caps and Perelli Centuratos.  This was the car that Christie and I took our honeymoon up north in.  It was know as "Reggy the Rag Top".

Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2009, 17:49:57 pm »

Great Stuff John!

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
johnl

« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2009, 17:52:00 pm »

When I was in the Navy a guy I worked with was named Andy Wanasack or more affectionaly known as "TANK" due to his size.  Anyway, Andy and I use to go back and fourth about fast VW's against fast Mopars.  He was a Dodge guy and always talked about blowing the doors off those VW's. 

He did this drawing and gave it to me some 42 years ago and I kept it.  I have no idea where Andy is today, but I do remember he was from California.  To bad he never net Mike Mahaffee and his 2180 split window !!!   Shocked Shocked Shocked

johnl

« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2009, 17:57:57 pm »

Great stuff, uncle John!  Cheesy

Keith, how can I be your uncle.  I talk normal and you don't !!!!  Just kidding and I'm pleased you are enjoying the post.  There are more to come............. Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley

Wünderwolff

aka Dr. Jeckill

« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2009, 18:05:02 pm »

And you just keep on going  Roll Eyes

And all the better that is, those pictures and stories are fingerlicking good. Lovely good old days (except for war that is)

Please give us more!

Wünderwaffe are Go!
johnl

« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2009, 18:08:42 pm »

Today is Christie's birthday, so here are some of my favortie shots of her and me back in the day.  I'll be meeting her at Disneyland later today to help her celebrate #59................ Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: