The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 05, 2024, 12:27:25 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
351094 Posts in 28640 Topics by 6846 Members
Latest Member: JamesBoyd
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Parked It Over 5 Years Ago
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Parked It Over 5 Years Ago  (Read 7856 times)
Paul Bahnstormerz

« on: July 22, 2009, 18:21:03 pm »

Hi,

I parked this in my garage 5 years ago and walked away from the scene, I'd become disillusioned and tired of spending my life wrenching on a car.

Then this week, it came on strong and I decided the bug deserved better and needs to be driven.

Have had to find some 145s, and I need to service it, bleed the brakes, and flush the fuel system (a nice job  Wink) But I reckon the motor will be running this weekend, its 1776, 010 dizzy, IDAs, nicely massaged heads with 9.5CR all tied to a nice CR box to propel it  Smiley Strangely I can't remember half the stuff I did to the car, bits keeping coming back, like today I remembered I put type 3 rear brakes on it!

Oh well, I've spent far too long reading the forum today, you guys have some seriously nice cars, I've located an old club mate, but more importantly the car will be rolling down the street within the next 10 days Grin Grin Grin
Paul Bahnstormerz

« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2009, 18:22:13 pm »

whoops err the pic came out huge, sorry  Embarrassed
wolfswest

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2009, 19:44:34 pm »

nice Paul,

Glad you found your way back to the cal look scene.  Hope you'll enjoy your car again!

Dem

JPS NACIONAL kameraderie - HDB Syndicate.
67worshipper

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2009, 20:35:00 pm »

paul i only dug out the feature of that car in the old pre ultra mag the other day.lovely car and a stonker btw.good to see youve got your mojo back Wink will be great to see it out and about.looks very similar to gyles looker on here even the colour.is there much to do or battle scars from the garage era paul? all the best barry

vw hot rod heaven
ESH

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2009, 21:26:08 pm »

Looking forward to seeing it in the countryside, welcome back.  Cool
vwcab

peter

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2009, 23:10:21 pm »

Welcome to the lounge Paul,do you have more pics of your car?
And,keep us updated.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2009, 23:32:35 pm by vwcab » Logged

'72 standard käfer
'74 cal-look project
'78 1303 cabrio
'12 Triumph street triple

ESCARABAJO's CALIENTEs
Paul Bahnstormerz

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2009, 23:38:35 pm »

Hi,

well I've spent the night working on it, fuel tank out cleaned and new filters fitted, new battery and it turned over so Saturday it's oil change, quick strip and clean of the IDA's and then will you all please cross your fingers and hope another cal looker crakles back to life!!! Also ditching the herrod helper. The brakes will need a bleeding, but it everything seems OK  Smiley

Thankfully it has survived it's garage days well, the smell inside is nice 5 years of coco mats has really given it a good smell!

I haven't got many pictures of it, but will grab some pictures this weekend, I also have to video it running for some mates in Dubai, I've already had the lecture on crank fired fuel injection and how I should ditch the 010 and it's bakelite cap and the 48's  Huh Huh

Already been looking at some tuning sites, I dunno, maybe it will have some bigger this coming year  Grin Grin But at this moment I just wanna get it running again.

Have also been rummaging through some photo albums, will post up some pictures of some stuff as I scan!!

Mat, do you have any club decals left?? I still have my dash plaque and tee shirts, and the plates have club name. Max always said I'd come back!
vwcab

peter

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2009, 00:02:42 am »

Thanks for the pics Paul,looks like a nice looker you have.Have fun with it.
(ps,from what year is the bug?)

'72 standard käfer
'74 cal-look project
'78 1303 cabrio
'12 Triumph street triple

ESCARABAJO's CALIENTEs
Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2009, 00:02:51 am »

Only 5 years?? What a rookie!  Grin Grin

I parked mine in 1983.  Cheesy

But seriously the Cal-look bug never leaves.

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
jamiep_jamiep

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2009, 08:42:20 am »

Nice paul! Glad to see the itch hasn't gone away....

richie

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2009, 10:17:08 am »

Hi Paul Smiley  Things moved on alot in 5 years havent they Smiley

cheers richie,uk

Cars are supposed to be driven, not just talked about!!!   

Good parts might be expensive but good advice is priceless Wink
Paul Bahnstormerz

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2009, 10:59:30 am »

Yeah things have moved on, you got stupid fast  Cheesy I have some pictures here of your car pre turbo I found last night, can scan them and put them up, couple are at Santa Pod

'Tis a small world though, took my BMW for a service in Rickmansworth, got talking old BMW's mentioned I had a old cal look bug, next thing is the guy is talking about your car and how you had a 'workshop' down by him  Roll Eyes
Paul Bahnstormerz

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2009, 11:07:49 am »

It's a 1971 1200, with '67 doors, and a '70 decklid, also wears a 1200 decklid badge Smiley
jamiep_jamiep

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2009, 11:26:02 am »

also wears a 1200 decklid badge Smiley

To sucker-punch the odd Porsche?

Grin

Paul Bahnstormerz

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2009, 19:30:52 pm »

Richie,

Where can I get the suspension set up around North London??

cheers,
Paul
Paul Bahnstormerz

« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2009, 13:19:28 pm »

OK spent yesterday working on it, added fuel, and started the fuel pump, turned it over and over, nothing, then the starter motor died! Let it rest for 10 minutes and tried again, the IDAs popped and the engine coughed. It sounded promising, then at the next flick of the switch it burst into life! It sounded so great, IDA's, straight gears and turbo muffler, it all came flooding back!!

Only problem I have is rear brakes are dead, so rebuild the type 3 drums, thank god I don't need to deal with the big nut on the axle I love the type 3 hub for maintenance. So parts shop in the morning and the brakes will be sorted one evening!
Speckyvwfreak

« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2009, 15:12:06 pm »

Good to see it (and you) back!

Black '56 Ragtop Oval, 2276, IDAs, 12.6s quarter mile
lawrence

« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2009, 23:02:48 pm »

I remember your car from the members section of cal-look.com. I always though it was pretty cool with the herrod helper and ercos. Sounds like you're plugging along well. Post some pictures when you get the car rolling again.

"Happiness is a Hot VW!"
richie

« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2009, 10:49:55 am »

Richie,

Where can I get the suspension set up around North London??

cheers,
Paul

Paul,I always ued Rob@ protune,they were in barnet now moved to Potters bar,he is a friend of Marcos

Cool you got it running again

cheers richie,uk

Cars are supposed to be driven, not just talked about!!!   

Good parts might be expensive but good advice is priceless Wink
Paul Bahnstormerz

« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2009, 11:16:53 am »

Thanks Ritchie will check them out  Smiley them seem ok found your's and Marco's cars in the gallery!!
ESH

« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2009, 22:32:06 pm »

Doesn't sound like it's going to take long to get it back on the road. Must have been handy having somewhere to put the tea whilst sorting the motor.

Smiley
Paul Bahnstormerz

« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2009, 10:18:58 am »

Pulled the Herrod off the car  Wink
ESH

« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2009, 19:06:05 pm »

I actually quite liked it!  Grin
Paul Bahnstormerz

« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2009, 18:37:16 pm »

haha cheers Mat! brakes are proving fun but tonight they are done!!

Paul
ESH

« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2009, 20:34:53 pm »

Personally I'd have played with all the nipples! Good going Paul, I don't know what got you fired up again but however / whatever COOL!  Cool

Did you have a kite crash?  Tongue

See you soon then.  Smiley
Paul Bahnstormerz

« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2009, 10:50:23 am »

I climbed too many mountains, bagged almost everything I want in the UK and Alps, although the Himalaya are still calling!  Wink The kiting left me with a smashed back, and the mountain biking has left me destroyed shoulder! The bug never tried to kill me, well........
I just saw the car in the garage, then I was having a clear out, found a pile of Hot VWs, started telling the GF about the bug, the days down at Max's and hey ho here we go again!!!

You wouldn't want me playing with your nipples Mat, vice grips attached tight and smacked with a hammer after a good soaking in brake fluid! Still that only sounds like our trip to Amsterdam, after VW Euro  Shocked

Saw the guys in my local GSF again this morning and they just said it's like the last ten years never happened with me back in daily for service parts!

I keep saying it, but, it will roll this weekend! I'll have soon replaced everything on the brakes Undecided

See you soon
ESH

« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2009, 18:23:33 pm »

... I climbed too many mountains, bagged almost everything I want in the UK and Alps, although the Himalaya are still calling!  Wink The kiting left me with a smashed back, and the mountain biking has left me destroyed shoulder! The bug never tried to kill me, well ...

A friend did his shoulder in in the Himalayas, got it reset locally and then had to have it broken apart again when he got home as it had fused back in the wrong place.  Shocked

... I keep saying it, but, it will roll this weekend! I'll have soon replaced everything on the brakes ...

Any luck?  Smiley
Paul Bahnstormerz

« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2009, 21:19:06 pm »

Wrenched until late Friday night, started early Saturday to get the MOT and the brakes still had air in the system, so bleed again, went and found a garage that could mot in the afternoon, and then bled the brakes again to be sure. Went to the garage, all work stopped as mechanics asked questions, the owner was gobsmacked by me running IDA's on the road. PASSED!!

So I drove him home, I'd forgot how great a VW can sound.

The gf came round, and was stunned by the bug and shocked by the sound, so we went out. She'd never been in a Beetle, never mind a tuned one. So we cruised a few roads and headed out to a dual carriageway, took out a Maserati of some type! She was hooked. Today we cruised out to a local country park, people looking at what made all the noise, girls smiling  Wink at the lights! Took out a Merc, and then had some real fun, let the kids in the hot hatch who'd been pointing at the lights get a lead before I really punched it! Oh yeah I love this car!!

It looks like this nowadays, hasn't aged bad in the garage! The ones in daylight feature 5 years of dust too!! It's all shiny now!
« Last Edit: August 09, 2009, 21:31:49 pm by Paul Bahnstormerz » Logged
Paul Bahnstormerz

« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2009, 21:24:01 pm »

Oh yeah my neighbours didn't quite know what to make of it, as I tuned the carbs on a quiet Sunday morning  Grin Shocked Cool
Nico86

Turnip engine.

« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2009, 21:26:12 pm »

Good looking car Paul  Cool.

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: