The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 05, 2024, 03:40:30 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
351094 Posts in 28640 Topics by 6846 Members
Latest Member: JamesBoyd
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  in the last 15 years: most popular 'Cal Look' engine combo has been?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: in the last 15 years: most popular 'Cal Look' engine combo has been?  (Read 11768 times)
Jim Ratto

« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2009, 23:31:33 pm »

engle 160 Huh

duration, valve lift?

dirk

you'll have to ask somebody with more experience.... Sarge?  Grin
dirk zeyen

« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2009, 23:55:14 pm »

O.K.

less duration and lift than engle 170 right Grin Grin Grin

back again!!!
Jim Ratto

« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2009, 00:50:33 am »

O.K.

less duration and lift than engle 170 right Grin Grin Grin

just a tick I hear.  Grin
bugnut68

« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2009, 00:53:41 am »

78.4 X 90.5
w120 with 1.25 ratio rockers ( the mark herbert cam  read about that combo on the other forum tech articles)
9.1 / 1 compression
steve tims stage one heads
45 dellorto drla
1 5/8 merged with dynomax muffler

a lot fun without trouble Grin

ok this is a farmer engine but it works for me and is fun enough on the streets!!!

dirk

Did you ever run it at the track?  If so, what kind of times?
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2009, 01:33:55 am »

2276, K8... wins, hands down. And I suppose I haven't driven enough big motors, but I thought the "generic" 2276 I drove a few times was plenty fun. What did you think, Ryan?? Wink It could be lugged around town at 1500 rpm, and blast up to 7k in a blink. I want a motor like that, but just a tiny bit wilder on the heads, cam, cr, etc. 1915 is without a doubt the best bang for your performance buck, though.
I'd like to see how these 4" bore motors evolve...

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
dirk zeyen

« Reply #35 on: August 15, 2009, 23:27:06 pm »

hi bugnut 68,

never raced it at the track, for sure i will do it but there are some problems....

my 4 years old son like to go with me every time i go to a track or a bug show and i'm searching for a "children seat (don't know the right word in english)",  who fit in my cobra seats.

at the moment i drive only with our family bug to every event Sad

the most time i can drive my car is during my son is out of house with my wife.
sometimes i drive a short trip with him around our home town, but i can't do a long trip without the right "children seat" for safety reasons...

but the engine is for sure a pleasure to drive, strong from 2000-6500rpm.
my gearbox is a 74 german swingaxle with 4.375 and 0.93 fourth gear and small diameter 195/65-15 tyres and my bug is light.

dirk

back again!!!
Sarge

« Reply #36 on: August 15, 2009, 23:38:22 pm »

engle 160 Huh

duration, valve lift?

dirk

you'll have to ask somebody with more experience.... Sarge?  Grin

Some one here with an old 1970's vintage Auto Haus catalog should be able to settle this.  I'm fairly certain the 160 was an option for a while.

DKP III
rick m

Driving Hot VWs for 44 Years Strong!

« Reply #37 on: August 16, 2009, 07:22:31 am »

Hey Bugnut68....who told you more than 7.0 on the street will not run and be reliable?  That is a myth. There are a lot of motors, mine was one, that run over 8.0 on the street.  My 2110 was 8.3.  With the right cam and timing, piston mods and cylinder head mods you can run more than a doggy 7.0 on the street and yes....they do live.  Gas octane has a lot to do with it as well.  My vanagon came from the factory with 9.0 compression...but you'd have to see the piston and head combo to see some of the things done to help these run with this type compression.

There are a lot of ways to run more than 7.0 and have a motor that runs well on the street, is still driveable, dependable and will live.  I've personally done it and I know there are many others out there who are doing it too.

Rick M

Rick Mortensen
Driving Hot VWs since 1970
kingsburgphil

« Reply #38 on: August 16, 2009, 08:47:44 am »

Regarding the unstreetable Engle 160, duration was 340 deg. Lift, not enough. We used a 82x88, engle 130, Square port,  (ex Don Crane) w/11.25 comp. motor to run consistent 12.70s. Just another under-capitalized club racer.

Anyone out there remember "Dirty Dave Vanderbeke"? 
« Last Edit: August 16, 2009, 15:50:08 pm by kingsburgphil » Logged
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #39 on: August 16, 2009, 09:57:46 am »

Regarding the unstreetable Engle 160, duration was 340 deg. Lift, not enough. We used a 82x88, engle 130, Square port, 82x88, (ex Don Crane) w/11.25 comp. motor to run consistent 12.70s. Just another under-capitalized club racer.

Wink

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
peach_

« Reply #40 on: August 16, 2009, 13:14:06 pm »

hey i was just wondering, im having a street/sunday car/strip twice a year, 2276 built but iv bought a Web 86b cam but all my mates are telling me that i will always wonder what a 86c is like (supposedly alot wilder and probs better?) and i should change it now before i start the build, Some words from the wise would be greatly appreciated lol  Grin

cheers

1966 java green looker- 2276 Street Machine, with standard gear box@ 14.5 (2013), With Pro Street Box @ 13.5 (2014), still more to come!

SAS RENN-WAGENS and proud

#CALLOOKDRAGS
rick m

Driving Hot VWs for 44 Years Strong!

« Reply #41 on: August 17, 2009, 14:52:09 pm »

I remember Vanderbeke.  I loved his multi-color orange and yellow drag bug. It went through several versions with Dave Vanderbeke on the side door and then JEB. I met Dave at a division 7 Points race in the early 70's, when a lot of other VW drag racers were in attendance. His car sported early Deano wheels too. The car was typical of the day. Not a lot of pretty stuff went into the car back then. I think he even had an upside down canteen as his catch can for the oil breather lines from the motor. The car ran pretty well for what he had invested in it.

Rick M

Rick Mortensen
Driving Hot VWs since 1970
Peter

« Reply #42 on: August 17, 2009, 16:13:34 pm »

Hi Peach,
the 86c in my engine feels like this:
not a lot of low end grunt, ok in midrange and comes on at 4000.
redline it at 7500.. CR is 9.4 or something..dont remember.
I really like it and will not change when i redo the motor.
you can drive calmly around town and have a beast when you want to Smiley
heads are wedgeports. maybe when i install new springs, redline is higher,
it seems to me that the motor doesnt want to stop at 7500, but my valves start to float at that time.

Hope it sums it up a bit Smiley
javabug

WHAT'S UP WID DA BOOM BOOM???

« Reply #43 on: August 17, 2009, 19:26:18 pm »

hey i was just wondering, im having a street/sunday car/strip twice a year, 2276 built but iv bought a Web 86b cam but all my mates are telling me that i will always wonder what a 86c is like

Run the cam that works with the heads you are using.  Or, run the heads that work with the cam you want to use.  My heads were built to work with an 86b, so I'm only wondering if wanting "more" would leave me with a poor combo.

Maize's orange car runs a 2276/Wedgeports/86b and it is fantastic.  Good for 12.90s @ 100+ mph with an inexperienced driver.  86c might be even better (with that combo), but I don't have any experience with that.

Mike H.

Sven was right.
peach_

« Reply #44 on: August 17, 2009, 19:44:21 pm »

Hi Peach,
it seems to me that the motor doesnt want to stop at 7500, but my valves start to float at that time.

hey i was just wondering, im having a street/sunday car/strip twice a year, 2276 built but iv bought a Web 86b cam but all my mates are telling me that i will always wonder what a 86c is like

Run the cam that works with the heads you are using.  Or, run the heads that work with the cam you want to use.  My heads were built to work with an 86b, so I'm only wondering if wanting "more" would leave me with a poor combo.

Maize's orange car runs a 2276/Wedgeports/86b and it is fantastic.  Good for 12.90s @ 100+ mph with an inexperienced driver.  86c might be even better (with that combo), but I don't have any experience with that.

Cheers Guys for the words of advice

this is the parts list so far:- Steve Tim's Stage 2 heads, CB 5.5 H beams ,82x94mm, 86b, 1.4 Rockers, CB case, about 10.0-10.5 comp, 3/4 Berg sump, berg power pulley and 44 IDF's for now.

What do you think?

cheers

1966 java green looker- 2276 Street Machine, with standard gear box@ 14.5 (2013), With Pro Street Box @ 13.5 (2014), still more to come!

SAS RENN-WAGENS and proud

#CALLOOKDRAGS
Jim Ratto

« Reply #45 on: August 17, 2009, 20:35:18 pm »

Hi Peach,

this is the parts list so far:- Steve Tim's Stage 2 heads, CB 5.5 H beams ,82x94mm, 86b, 1.4 Rockers, CB case, about 10.0-10.5 comp, 3/4 Berg sump, berg power pulley and 44 IDF's for now.

What do you think?

cheers

go with bigger cam and go with big venturies (maybe custom)
bugnut68

« Reply #46 on: August 18, 2009, 01:34:51 am »

Hey Bugnut68....who told you more than 7.0 on the street will not run and be reliable?  That is a myth. There are a lot of motors, mine was one, that run over 8.0 on the street.  My 2110 was 8.3.  With the right cam and timing, piston mods and cylinder head mods you can run more than a doggy 7.0 on the street and yes....they do live.  Gas octane has a lot to do with it as well.  My vanagon came from the factory with 9.0 compression...but you'd have to see the piston and head combo to see some of the things done to help these run with this type compression.

There are a lot of ways to run more than 7.0 and have a motor that runs well on the street, is still driveable, dependable and will live.  I've personally done it and I know there are many others out there who are doing it too.

Rick M

I was totally kidding, Rick, I'm guessing you didn't see my smiley at the end of the post.  No harm intended, just trying to post a bit of irony into the thread... back in the early to mid '90s it was pretty rare to see any of the modern engines in Hot VWs or VW Trends, a lot of 1776's in those days.
bugnut68

« Reply #47 on: August 18, 2009, 01:36:30 am »

2276, K8... wins, hands down. And I suppose I haven't driven enough big motors, but I thought the "generic" 2276 I drove a few times was plenty fun. What did you think, Ryan?? Wink It could be lugged around town at 1500 rpm, and blast up to 7k in a blink. I want a motor like that, but just a tiny bit wilder on the heads, cam, cr, etc. 1915 is without a doubt the best bang for your performance buck, though.
I'd like to see how these 4" bore motors evolve...

Oh, yes, I still remember that ride well... and the Mustang GT shrinking in the rear view mirror! Grin  Travis couldn't get a guy in a vintage Chevy pickup to play on the way home from that brewpub we went to that one night.  Good times!
Mike Maize

« Reply #48 on: August 18, 2009, 01:48:03 am »

Good for 12.90s @ 100+ mph with an inexperienced driver. 
[/quote]
Hey I have been driving since I was 16! Seriously it is a healthy easy to drive combo. Smiley
fish

« Reply #49 on: September 23, 2009, 07:48:53 am »

Reading this thread, It seems the proven internet and off the shelf 2276 wins hands down in popularity, reliability and boredom; Through widespread availability it has become a slap together engine using mostly off shore parts, which to me doesn't seem all exciting.
The "Look" to the guys that started it was not just a Look, it was an idea, a state of tune, a surprise, an innovation, an engine living life on the border of destruction.
I suppose we and the Look are evolving and it should be interesting to see what the next 15 years bring us.

Had a fight with a Magneto, it won!
Neil Davies

« Reply #50 on: September 23, 2009, 09:40:19 am »

When I got into VWs in 1995 it seemed that the 2007cc and 2165cc motors were popular, less so than the 82mm stroke that is more common today. Perhaps an easier motor to build with a 78mm crank?

The Vanderbeke article is cool! How did he get a stock 1600 to run 12's!? Shocked

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!

« Reply #51 on: September 23, 2009, 15:23:21 pm »

my 2276 kitchen build will be the first engine of this kind, size, quality and performance in my country..pretty innovative I think :-D
« Last Edit: September 23, 2009, 20:54:13 pm by 181 » Logged
ST DRAGN

More Port. More Gas..Kicks Ass...

« Reply #52 on: September 23, 2009, 18:06:06 pm »

Regarding the unstreetable Engle 160, duration was 340 deg. Lift, not enough. We used a 82x88, engle 130, Square port, 82x88, (ex Don Crane) w/11.25 comp. motor to run consistent 12.70s. Just another under-capitalized club racer.

Wink

I had the pleasure, was lucky to meet him back in the early 80's, while he was working as a mechanic at local To#¤ta Dealership, along side with my brother. ( small world ). There was a guy there who had raced at the early Bug-In's. and had a set of Old Racing Heads for sale?
 Well, well  low and behold. They were early Fumio Fukaya (FF29) heads, with Scat Trak manifolds. 22cc in the chambers." Compression-Up "   Smiley . I  bought them up along with other goodies. NOS German case is currently in my car as today.

Dave was retired from racing, did share some stories with me, my brother. his hobbies at the time was sketching art work on V8 Pro-stockers. at the time, very talented man.

RIP Dave.

As far as combo's : 2276cc was it..

Der Kleiner Panzers
fish

« Reply #53 on: September 24, 2009, 01:51:57 am »

Hi Peach,

What do you think?

cheers

go with bigger cam and go with big venturies (maybe custom)

I agree, with 10:1> you can go the bigger cam and still have torque to cruise around town, also try to match port your intake and exhaust, 44's will be ok with some fine tuning.

Dave was some guy huh, a true pioneer. Old school thinking outside the box, I wish we knew what some of the cams he was using.

Had a fight with a Magneto, it won!
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: