The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:47:05 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350645 Posts in 28563 Topics by 6811 Members
Latest Member: Bren
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  In Da Werks
| | |-+  Lil'Tank
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Lil'Tank  (Read 27697 times)
JSL

« on: August 14, 2009, 20:53:28 pm »

Ok, Im gonna risk it......

Im gonna start a thread on my build and hope things progress at a nice steady rate....  Grin

Story so far.....

I bought a 54 shell about ten years ago off Mark from Just Kampers. It was advertised as a solid US import so I was on the case straight away! I figured "What an easy build!" Just wack the shell on a chassis and BAM! You have a finished car! No cutting, no welding etc!  Wink I was kinda right, but sourcing all the odds & sods turned out to be an expensive nightmare!!!

Ok... here is the car when it first arrived

« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 22:09:50 pm by JSL » Logged

JSL

« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2009, 21:02:43 pm »

After checking it all over the shell was perfect! Never been welded or repaired! Nice!

Next to come was a rolling chassis. Thanks to Rodry (At the time from Twickenham Aircoolers, dont know if he still is) we did a little deal and he towed me a chassis home from one of the shows. Chassis was very solid and wide 5! Sweet! The car sat like that for a while. But thanks to friends Steve Inglis & his bro Tish we all got the bug real bad and started work stripping and building our cars. His is a 64/65 (No sure which year it is?) Ausi import and VolksWorld cover car! Lucky GIT!!!! Haha. After about 2 years of dirty evenings and weekends we stripped all the gunk off both our chassis & components and bare metaled both cars.  Paint was laid on thanks to Angus. Steves is the bug in the for ground mine is behind it in primer.

And some more shots of the bugs on my front lawn! I love this shot!! As you can see mine is now in paint behind Steves Grin

« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 22:14:29 pm by JSL » Logged

JSL

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2009, 21:14:55 pm »

There arent many photos of this stage of my build. Mainly of Steves, but mine is lurking in the back ground  Wink

Here we are cleaning up the chassis's

After paint

All this was being done while my parents were demolishing their house as part of a rebuild! Hehehe Hectic stuff! Hence the next pic!  Grin My Dad sitting on a pallet of breeze blocks! The sharp eye'd among you might notice the serial number (between his legs) Either that or they couldnt spell 'blocks' very well? It made us giggle anyway  Roll Eyes

Whats next......?

« Last Edit: August 14, 2009, 22:59:15 pm by JSL » Logged

JSL

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2009, 21:27:20 pm »

Ah yes..... Suddenly my car was in PAINT!!  Shocked

I gathered a few other bits & bobs like a 1.5 inch narrowed beam from Dave at Airwerks

But after putting SO much time into it all especially on Steves bug I kinda exhausted myself out. So it all when on the back burner while I got into music for about 8 - 10 years.

Role on a few years to kinda recently!  Smiley Ive got wind in my sails and Im gagging for it! (So to speak)

I started collecting everything I could.....

The main worry for me was all the internal door parts! Yuk! What a boring and no doubt expensive job that would be! But I started to collect....

I had to buy another decklid as I seemed to have lost one over the years?....  Sad

My second set of heart lights.... again I seemed to have lost the NOS set I bought 10 years ago! Boy have these gone up in price since then!

« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 22:21:28 pm by JSL » Logged

JSL

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2009, 21:31:31 pm »

The dreaded door internals!!

And more stuff that either Ive bought or came with the car...

I'll save you all the pain of the bits & bobs Ive been tracking down.

JSL

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2009, 21:44:02 pm »

Ok now it all gets a bit blurry  Grin

After putting a deposit down with Ian at Wolfsburg Performance for a nice engine about 8 years ago (maybe more  Undecided) I suddenly got a phone call out the blue. After a nice little discussion I ended up with his little race motor! :-) And Im VERY happy with it! Not as big as most of you guys but you know what they say!! Size DOESNT matter, its what she does with it!  Wink

Plus everything from the gas tank to the engine!

1850cc if any of you were wondering  Smiley

« Last Edit: August 14, 2009, 23:01:10 pm by JSL » Logged

JSL

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2009, 21:52:42 pm »

Ok next.....

I wasnt happy with the chassis I bought all those years ago. I think it was a late 60's item due to the wide 5, but it also had weird chunky rear arms (check the pics)

Anyone know anything about it?

I wanted the collar & cuffs to match!

So luckily for me (and thanks to various people on this forum for helping me with my dumb ass questions) I located a guy that was breaking a 53. So I had the chassis, doors, bonnet and various other bits off him.

How many doors does one car need?  Smiley

I also located some LHD pedals.

And ANOTHER box of door internals

Really hoping Ive got the door internals & quarter lights covered now. Hehe

« Last Edit: August 14, 2009, 23:03:44 pm by JSL » Logged

JSL

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2009, 22:04:39 pm »

Next up....

I wanted my car to stop well so after a bit of research I decided to go for the CB Performance wide 5 disc kit with dropped spindals

Nice!

I also really wanted to go Torker!

So I bought these guys...

Typical me its a bad combo! The dished back spokes of the Torkers foul the calipers! DOH!

So... I needed to re-think...

Looks nice though huh?

I also found that the offset of the wheels, combined with the wider track of the disc kit meant the wheels also fouled the arches quite a bit. After speaking to another guy that was very helpful about all this the solution was to narrow the beam AGAIN removing a total of 5 inches!

So I decided to to go a different route..

So now Im happy  Grin

JSL

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2009, 22:19:04 pm »

The next part is my reason for posting  Smiley

After a little wait my car has now found a new (temporary) home! At Defcon3  Wink

Alex is on the case sand blasting the chassis and priming ready to weld in the new pan halves etc
He was the one who also polished and detailed my wheels.

So its exciting times!! Alex produces AWESOME cars so Im very happy to have him do this work for me. At the moment its weld up chassis etc, and get it rolling. Then basically massage the doors, decklid & bonnet to get that all fitting nice (I have a real bee in my bonnet about that Wink I like all the gaps to sit nice). Once thats been done we shall see how light my wallet is and take it from there.

Last Thurs I took the shell down to him. Boy was that the longest journey of my LIFE!!! Not trailered anything before and EVERY noise and bang as far as I was concerned meant the trailer had come free!! HAHAHA! But after one stop just to check all was ok and 2 hours later we made it down.

Here it is all tucked up at Alex's

So hopefully over the next month or so I should be able to post some fun updates! I have a feeling its all gonna come together quite quickly Wink Fingers crossed

Oh btw If Im rambling on too much or not doing this right do let me know. Ive never started a thread like this before.

Cheers,

J

JSL

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2009, 22:27:21 pm »

Oh a few other pics too..

Gearbox mount

Seats

Wings & lights

Rev counter

Borrowed some centerlines (Cheers Max Wink)

I promise thats it for a while now  Wink

J
« Last Edit: August 15, 2009, 10:08:00 am by JSL » Logged

Black Sheep

less is more

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2009, 23:05:21 pm »

Like the look of it so far  Cool do you have a spare pair of early doors ?

Stick with what you know works .
13.03 @ 98mph
JSL

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2009, 23:23:51 pm »

Hey!

Cheers 49-Rag

Eventually I will.... or were you being sarcastic? Grin Hehe

Thanks for being the first person to post!

J

jamiep_jamiep

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2009, 07:43:56 am »

Hey JSL, I remember a little picture of your car (with Steve's) in Volksworld a couple of years back.... its awesome!

How is Steve? He seems to have dropped off the radar a bit - I tried getting in touch with him a couple of months back but couldn't get hold of him?

Look forward to more updates on this, from what I've seen of Defcon3's work you're not gonna be disappointed!

Black Sheep

less is more

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2009, 08:22:57 am »

No seriuosly , my doors on the 49 are a bit of a bad fit and I want some fresh doors to play with for when I strip it down over the winter .
Like how youve gone about your car , start with a clean shell then go shopping for the bits  Smiley
Wish I'd had a clean shell to start with  Roll Eyes maybee next time  Wink

13.03 @ 98mph
alfie the monster

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2009, 09:53:20 am »

It's in safe hands with Alex at Defcon3  Grin

JG54 Grunherz
JSL

« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2009, 09:54:09 am »

Hey JSL, I remember a little picture of your car (with Steve's) in Volksworld a couple of years back.... its awesome!

How is Steve? He seems to have dropped off the radar a bit - I tried getting in touch with him a couple of months back but couldn't get hold of him?

Look forward to more updates on this, from what I've seen of Defcon3's work you're not gonna be disappointed!

Hey Kaferboy,

Cheers dude! Yeah that was our cars in Volksworld hehehe seems like decades ago now. Steves still about but concentrating on other things like work. Drop me a PM and Ill give you his email address if you want? Are you local then? Love what your up to with your 54 too! Surely its time for an update? ;-) Im building a little 1200cc turbo motor at the moe for my 56 ragtop. Will see if it goes pop or not! Hehe

Cheers Dude!

J

JSL

« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2009, 10:01:27 am »

No seriuosly , my doors on the 49 are a bit of a bad fit and I want some fresh doors to play with for when I strip it down over the winter .
Like how youve gone about your car , start with a clean shell then go shopping for the bits  Smiley

Yeah no worries dude! Once Alex has done his thang and sorted my doors you can see if the others are any good for you  Wink

Yeah in one way its a cool to start with a clean shell, but its probably not the cheapest way to do it. Ive been very tempted to buy a donor car for all the bits. But being like like I am I would be able to scrap what was left of the donor car! Would hurt too much! So it would end up just being ANOTHER project! Haha

Whats the latest with yours? 49 Rag is AWESOME! Saw a thread on it a while back but cant find it now.

Cheers for the post! :-)

J

JSL

« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2009, 10:03:46 am »

It's in safe hands with Alex at Defcon3  Grin

Cheers dude!

Ive been patient and waiting my turn! And know it will be worth the wait! ;-) EXCITING TIMES!!!!

Lets just hope it doenst come off the trailer on the way home!  Shocked Hehe

Cheers,

J

Black Sheep

less is more

« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2009, 11:58:49 am »

Yeah no worries dude! Once Alex has done his thang and sorted my doors you can see if the others are any good for you  Wink

Yeah in one way its a cool to start with a clean shell, but its probably not the cheapest way to do it. Ive been very tempted to buy a donor car for all the bits. But being like like I am I would be able to scrap what was left of the donor car! Would hurt too much! So it would end up just being ANOTHER project! Haha

Whats the latest with yours? 49 Rag is AWESOME! Saw a thread on it a while back but cant find it now.

Cheers for the post! :-)

J

Cool will see what Alex has left , will see him tommorow as we are due to cruise up to Beach Bugin together if the weather holds out.
As for an update on my car , not wishing to poach your thread  Wink
Upped the engine size from 2007 to 2165 over the winter , approx 30 more horse's  Cool
Stuck in some high back Beard seats in with matching cards , yet to get the back seat sorted .
Won a set of split carpets out at EBI for 25 euro's  Shocked
Diched the porker 5 speed , and Im currantly up to my elbows in gearbox grime fitting in a built Cogbox  Cool Cool

But this is your thread car is lookin sweet , will see if I can get a sneaky look out at the Farm  Wink

13.03 @ 98mph
JSL

« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2009, 12:07:00 pm »

Ah yes Beach Buggin! I wanted to go to that! But its Tish's (Steve's Bro's) house warming party today so Im off to Bristol for the weekend  Smiley

Yeah saw your old box for sale, SO wanted it for my other car but needed to stick to my plan! Wink Would love to see yours at some point! Say Hi to Alex and maybe I will see you down 'the farm' (I like that) sometime?

Update your thread! I wanna see!!!  Wink Or post on here Im not bothered  Cheesy

Have a good one dude!

J

louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2009, 14:24:21 pm »

Looking like a sweet project. Should be a cool ride when its done.

--louis

Louis Brooks

The Beatings Will Continue Until Moral Improves!
71CALRIPPER

« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2009, 16:45:17 pm »

After checking it all over the shell was perfect! Never been welded or repaired! Nice!

Next to come was a rolling chassis. Thanks to Rodry (At the time from Twickenham Aircoolers, dont know if he still is) we did a little deal and he towed me a chassis home from one of the shows. Chassis was very solid and wide 5! Sweet! The car sat like that for a while. But thanks to friends Steve Inglis & his bro Tish we all got the bug real bad and started work stripping and building our cars. His is a 64? (Sorry if Im wrong Steve) Ausi import and VolksWorld cover car! Lucky GIT!!!! Haha. After many many dirty evenings and weekends we stripped all the gunk off the chassis & components an bare metaled both cars and laid on some paint thanks to Angus. Steves is the bug in the for ground.

And some more shots of the bugs on my front lawn! I love this shot!!  Grin

Haha Rhod is alive and still a member of the Twickenham Aircoolers as am I , he has a 52 crotch cooler now and a black 412 estate.
Where in the world are ya dude we have an esher meet first tuesday of the month. Be good to chat

Nice are dude Wink
Rob
Turbo_Rich

« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2009, 12:33:15 pm »

Hey James, cool thread. I did one of these on another forum ages ago when i pulled my bug apart for paint. They are a great way of looking back and realising how much work/sweat/tears/pain/money we put into these projects. Looks like you have got all the important stuff, keep us posted as work begins down at Defcom3  Smiley
JSL

« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2009, 21:28:35 pm »

Hey 49 RAG

Did you see Alex at the weekend? Did you did you? Was my car lurking anywhere? Was it was it?  Cheesy

Hope Beach Buggin was good!

------------------------------------------------------

Cheers Louisb, I really hope it turns out nice!  Smiley

Hey 54Caldub (Rob)

Im near Woking (WestByfleet) I hear there are quite a few people around here with sweet aircooled rides but I'll be buggered if Ive seen them! Must be hiding Wink Hehehe But then I dont use mine that much either so I suppose Im just as bad Haha

Hi Turbo_Rich

Thanks for the encouragement dude! Yup! I will definitely be posting pics as it evolves. Ive already forgotten about most of the sweat and tears thats gone into this which is actually kinda nice!

Thanks once again everyone! There are some absolutely AWESOME builds in this forum and I think everyone will agree that these little posts from people really help spur you on!  Wink

Cheers,

J

Black Sheep

less is more

« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2009, 22:56:05 pm »

Hi J , saw Alex but didn't get a chance to talk  Roll Eyes busy guy's  Cheesy
Got me new box in , what a blast , should have got a built box years ago  Roll Eyes
Gonna try and find time to shoot up to the farm this week for a sneek peek  Cool
Give you my verdict later  Cheesy Wink

13.03 @ 98mph
deanosvws

OFF 24

« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2009, 23:29:51 pm »

hello james havnt seen those pics for a while. time definitly flies, will be good to see it going in the near future. nice to see the empi 5s have aged nicely never got round to putting them on anything before dave had them off me many moons ago. cheers dean.

OUTLAW FLAT FOUR
JSL

« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2009, 10:17:28 am »

Got me new box in , what a blast , should have got a built box years ago  Roll Eyes
Gonna try and find time to shoot up to the farm this week for a sneek peek  Cool

Morning!  Smiley

What box have you go now? Is it still IRS & 5 speed? Or Swing axle 4 speed?

If Alex has started work and you have a camera handy.....  Grin  Hehe

Cheers dude

J

JSL

« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2009, 10:21:34 am »

hello james havnt seen those pics for a while. time definitly flies, will be good to see it going in the near future. nice to see the empi 5s have aged nicely never got round to putting them on anything before dave had them off me many moons ago. cheers dean.

Hey Dean!

Hahaha! Were they yours before Dave? Awesome! Love hearing stuff like that! Dave just told me that the engine Im rebuilding had also been round the houses too! Such a small world.

Hope things are cool with you dude!

Hopefully see ya soon!  Smiley

J

Black Sheep

less is more

« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2009, 17:34:22 pm »

Morning!  Smiley

What box have you go now? Is it still IRS & 5 speed? Or Swing axle 4 speed?

Still I.R.S. but have now slipped in a rather nice Pete @ Cogbox special  Cool
Will arm myself with a camara  Wink
If Alex has started work and you have a camera handy.....  Grin  Hehe

Cheers dude

J

13.03 @ 98mph
kev d

« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2009, 18:05:14 pm »

Good to see your back in the groove with the oval Wink
Out this year or maybe next spring?
Cheers,
Kev

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body , but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy shit ... what a ride"
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: