The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 30, 2024, 13:37:09 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350869 Posts in 28606 Topics by 6827 Members
Latest Member: bmwjaguare5
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Pure racing
| | |-+  Aircooled VW dragsters, user group
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Aircooled VW dragsters, user group  (Read 13276 times)
Frallan

« on: December 29, 2009, 13:24:16 pm »

In reference to Rebels thread ( http://cal-look.no/lounge/index.php?topic=10673.0 ) on ACVW dragsters,  I will try to gather the ones that already exist in Europe and hopefully also get the interest of others to join in either imported or newly built rails.
To be honest I think we could end up having events with "many" cars in the next coming years.

I can see three events to begin, EBI, SCC and Bug Run.
Hopefully someone will take the initiative and do a VW event in the most central track of all, MECA raceway in Malmö.

So what cars do we have already?

- Klas Trimcos Ebbenäs (RIP in VW heaven) rail mostly known as Mats Herrlanders Blown Boxer. New owner in Sweden has a turbo 1600 cc 911 head engine. Last I heard, car is for sale.
- Peder Jeppe Bergdahl Umeå, Sweden, this is his second and new rail from USA. G/D dragster. NA 2275 cc, Liberty 5 speed, 9" inch al rear end.
- Jeppes old car is now in Sundsvall Sweden. Owner Richard Bylen. Details unknown
- Jani Forsgren, Finland. Details unknown.
- Ove Nilsson och Jonas Öhlen, Stockholm, Sweden. Front engine slingshot. Turbo. Other details unknown.
- Ottobros rear engine Mosquito. Details see Rebels thread.
- Pank dragster, Fredrik Reichel Malmö, Sweden. Rear engine single Autorotor 1985cc 911 head 090 automatic.
- Rebel, can we add you on the list of a future potential?

Now lets start working hard to make this a fun event.
No not a drag racing series but mostly fun thing...sure I will try to make my car fast and the faster the better but still, more of having a common goal of doing good shows together and just having fun.

Lets begin by making this thread an informative page to begin with and then if we grow, we can take next step/steps.

My own car will not be ready 2010 but rather earliest 2011. Progress will be reported in a separate thread once the real activity begins.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2009, 15:34:44 pm by Frallan » Logged

Jeppe

« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2009, 23:54:57 pm »

Here is some more info on VW dragsters:

I started to race with a bug in -78 and raced my old dragster between -00 – 04
in E/D to a best of 9.56 with my current engine but a different cam.
I purchased the new chassis from Chad Dailey, US. It's 200” NHRA legal.
For a start I'm gone run the 2276 that i ran in my old car with a
Liberty 5-speed air shifted, Strange 9” rear.
The weight will be 1164 lbs. Comp Eliminator G/D.

I have sold my old car to Richard Bylen, Sweden.
He is gone run G/D with a small engine from Brian Heyerstay, OR.

Ove Nilsson and Jonas Ohlen´s front engine dragster will run G/D with a Hillborn injected engine.

Jani Forsgren, Finland have raced for a couple of years with 2 engines for a best of 9.81 in G/D.
He did not run in -09 but will be back in -10.

It seems that it will be four G/Dragsters racing in Sweden the coming season.

Hope to see you Fredrik on the tracks again.

I no there is some more chassis out there.

Happy New Year everyone.

Jeppe
Neil Davies

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2009, 15:58:28 pm »

I know of one being built in the Uk at the moment, don't know if I can say who's it is! Wink

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
Kotten

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2009, 19:56:14 pm »

Hi!
I must correct some of Jeppe´s information about Jani Forsgren and the dragster.
Jani Forsgren´s brother Henry actually was the racer who run the G/D dragster from 2004 until 2006 and achieved the mentioned 9.8 sec.
Henry then quit racing the dragster and the brothers started building a new dragster which Jani debuted in 2008. I have no information about Jani´s achievements that year but he did not apparently race in 2009.

I leased the chassis of the dragster together with some parts as the live axle and bellhousing extension to Henry Forsgren for three seasons 2004 - 2006 and the car has returned to home storage.

The story behind this dragster is as follows:
I ordered the chassis from the brothers Bert and Wilmer Kjellin in Sundsvall/Sweden in the fall of 1985 and picked up the ready chassis in February 1986. I took me a couple of years to make the car race ready and I ran it with the engine out of Hitler´s Revenge until I lost a piston and ran out of money. The dragster rested for a while until somebody talked me into putting a turbocharged Golf engine into it. A sposor provided me with a 1715 ccm engine from a rallye-cross  golf and there started the downhill....
The engine was not that good and I had ordered a gearbox from Dominator engineering in the states and run into problems with that one as well. Fast forward to 2003 when Henry called me and wanted to buy the chassis but we agreed on leasing.
At the moment it is just stored away but I have plans for the future, not very close though as I am concentrating on Hitler´s Revenge for the next season.
There are some pic of the golf phase here:
http://cal-look.no/lounge/index.php/topic,5586.60.html

I really like the idea of a Dragster series or gatherings in the future and definately aircooled!
Kotten
Frallan

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2010, 10:55:28 am »

- Klas Trimcos Ebbenäs (RIP in VW heaven) rail mostly known as Mats Herrlanders Blown Boxer. New owner in Sweden has a turbo 1600 cc 911 head engine. Last I heard, car is for sale. Owner Jan Peleback in Borlänge, Sweden
- Peder Jeppe Bergdahl Umeå, Sweden, this is his second and new rail from USA. G/D dragster. NA 2275 cc, Liberty 5 speed, 9" inch al rear end.
- Jeppes old car is now in Sundsvall Sweden. Owner Richard Bylen. Details unknown
- Jani Forsgren, Finland. Details unknown.
- Ove Nilsson och Jonas Öhlen, Stockholm, Sweden. Front engine slingshot. Turbo. Other details unknown.
- Ottobros rear engine Mosquito. Details see Rebels thread.
- Pank dragster, Fredrik Reichel Malmö, Sweden. Rear engine single Autorotor 1985cc 911 head 090 automatic.
- UK secret dragster

That is a European potential of 9 VW dragsters. I think we might hear of more.
IF we start gathering in one location (or more per year), the ball will keep on rolling.

9 cars? Do we have a trend?

This is not an advertisement page but as mentioned earlier, Mats Herrlanders Blown Boxer was sold and the car could potentially be for sale again. I have no more information but hope to get the new owner Jan Peleback on board to share some details.

Mats engine is still in his ownership and he will sell it if the right offer pops up.
I will post pictures of it just because I like pictures and it spices up the thread.

Frallan

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2010, 15:31:02 pm »

Lets start presenting the cars in slightly more detail.

I start with Peder "Jeppe" Bergdahl and his second car.

He got his US built frame hoem to Sweden in Umeå in March-09
He started working on it during summer 09.
5 spd. Liberty, Ford 9" Strange alu. axle
The engine is
2276cc, Auto Craft block, Scat vev, Pauter rods, JE, FK-98, schubeck lifters,  Super Flow t 48x38, 48 ida etc.

rebel

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2010, 01:32:44 am »

Well... It's a cool idea and I hope to make it real in the future, but at present I have some more projects going on waiting to be finished,
which is: my bug, my wife's bus and a tiny baby in my wife's belly Smiley
But i'll keep in touch and will be reading this topic to have the idea still in mind an make it real, when time and money allows...

gbaker770

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2012, 03:09:18 am »

I'm gonna resurrect this thread from the dead.  I hope  nobody minds. This is a very nice build. Frallan, do you have any other details on thi car, wheelbase etc?
Lets start presenting the cars in slightly more detail.

I start with Peder "Jeppe" Bergdahl and his second car.

He got his US built frame hoem to Sweden in Umeå in March-09
He started working on it during summer 09.
5 spd. Liberty, Ford 9" Strange alu. axle
The engine is
2276cc, Auto Craft block, Scat vev, Pauter rods, JE, FK-98, schubeck lifters,  Super Flow t 48x38, 48 ida etc.

Frallan

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2012, 12:50:25 pm »

Hi gbaker770,

No I do not have more but I do have his e-mail and if I am not wrong, he also looks at these pages, if not frequently, at least once in a while.

Vince W.

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2012, 16:44:06 pm »

Gavin, Talk to Chad (cadprovw) over on UAC he can tell you anything about that rail when he built it.
gbaker770

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2012, 02:19:48 am »

Thanks Vince, I didnt know that was the car Chad was building.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: