The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 29, 2024, 13:04:53 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350869 Posts in 28606 Topics by 6827 Members
Latest Member: bmwjaguare5
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Another '67 joins the fleet!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 Print
Author Topic: Another '67 joins the fleet!  (Read 68985 times)
Ivan

« Reply #150 on: April 12, 2010, 18:57:15 pm »

It looks like a bit of good news at last! The case looks like it is saved. Now I can get busy on the rebuild. I've booked Friday off to clean the case up. I have got to order the parts I need such as the cam, lifters and so on. I've gone from  Sad to  Grin Grin Grin

See the case at the machine shop here http://www.jg54greenhearts.blogspot.com/
gary67richards

« Reply #151 on: April 12, 2010, 20:50:30 pm »

Great news Ivan!...spoke to Pete today and my case is getting the same treatment shortly Cool
Ivan

« Reply #152 on: April 12, 2010, 23:05:00 pm »

Great news Ivan!...spoke to Pete today and my case is getting the same treatment shortly Cool

Yeah he said. Mine was the Guinea Pig for yours!  Grin

Bearing in mind what mine was like - you should be laughing mate.

Catch you soon mate.
Gary R

« Reply #153 on: April 13, 2010, 14:40:12 pm »

Mines now done Shocked...look foreward to meeting you,probably at Petes!
Coxy

« Reply #154 on: April 13, 2010, 22:19:28 pm »

Well done Ivan  Wink

1965 Deluxe Beetle
1966 ex-Swedish diplomatic 1300 Beetle
1973 GT Beetle - 1835cc
1977 Cal Look Beetle
.....and too many projects :-)

www.volksworld.com
www.carbsandchrome.com
Ivan

« Reply #155 on: April 15, 2010, 20:40:11 pm »

Well done Ivan  Wink
Cheers Cathal, but all I did was wait for the phone to ring with my fingers crossed! I'm down at the workshop tomorrow thought cleaning the case halves up and starting the rebuild. Can't wait!

At the weekend I'll be in the garage at home detailing up the engine bay ready for the time I can reunite the motor and car again. Now the sun is out and the evenings are lighter it hurts like hell to have the car sitting there with nothing under the decklid.

Coxy

« Reply #156 on: April 15, 2010, 20:46:24 pm »

Yeah, but you are one of the lucky ones who has two '67 Bugs so you still have one to drive  Grin

1965 Deluxe Beetle
1966 ex-Swedish diplomatic 1300 Beetle
1973 GT Beetle - 1835cc
1977 Cal Look Beetle
.....and too many projects :-)

www.volksworld.com
www.carbsandchrome.com
1957lowlight

Philip Steenackers

« Reply #157 on: April 17, 2010, 06:48:48 am »

Right, Ivan, I know the feeling.  Mine is broke too.  With only 14 days before we hit to Germany (Hannover), she doesn't even start anymore Sad

But today I can drop her off at a famous engine doctor in Belgium who hates IDA's and always says my car would run better with my Dell'orto 40's, but he always helped me out, so cross fingers.

It's probably a carburator problem as we have allready changed all ignition components.

I'll keep you guys posted...

Philip
Flatline-Lowriders
Belgium
Ivan

« Reply #158 on: May 06, 2010, 15:30:16 pm »

Update!
The case is fine. I've been to the workshop and cleaned all the magnesium swarf and grot off and it's ready to go back together. Fellow club member Alex Taylor had a weekend in So Cal and brought back the parts I had ordered in his luggage. So now it's just down to making time to get back into the shop and put it all together. The sun is out and there's nothing worse than coming home to a Bug with no engine in the back.  Angry
Still, once it's all back together and up and running it'll be great fun.
Oh, talking of Alex Taylor - he did a superb job on giving the original beam a nip and tuck. He's taken a little width out of it and fitted adjusters. I am over the moon with how it came out. 
If you've got a few spare minutes have a look at his site http://www.defcon-3.co.uk/

« Last Edit: May 06, 2010, 15:32:05 pm by Ivan » Logged
Rob E

« Reply #159 on: June 22, 2010, 14:00:04 pm »

Hey Ivan,

any updates?

Cool
Rob E

« Reply #160 on: September 23, 2010, 11:09:58 am »

its finished then!  Cool

deano

« Reply #161 on: September 23, 2010, 16:13:02 pm »

Hmmm, has Freddie grown or did Ivan shrink?

Hot VWs Magazine Window Washer
Anglia Obsolete Guru
'67 Heaven
Ivan

« Reply #162 on: September 23, 2010, 18:15:19 pm »

I think it could just be that have not been eating enough burgers!
I don't know why, but Freddie always seems to talk down to me... Grin

Oh, thanx to Joran for the pic!
« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 18:16:55 pm by Ivan » Logged
Rob E

« Reply #163 on: September 23, 2010, 20:53:48 pm »

So how did the rest of the build go? The greenhearts blog stopped  Huh
Ivan

« Reply #164 on: September 24, 2010, 17:21:48 pm »

The car wasn't even going the Friday before the show - it was all very last minute. Due to the amount of shows I've been at this year, the engine build didn't get a look in. I just didn't have time to get down to the workshop. If I had a spare day at the weekend I spent it with my son. Anyway, we decided it was going to the show on the Friday before and so I got the car transported down to the workshop. The engine was still totally stripped and the new narrowed beam wasn't on. I was at Vanfest from Friday until Sunday night and had to finish the magazine on my return on Monday/Tuesday. Tuesday night late I had to meet with Randy Carlson of Old Bug and drop him at the airport to fly back to So Cal. Wednesday eve I wanted to spend with my son, as I wasn't going to see him. He was sick in the night and I go NO SLEEP. Meanwhile Pete Roberts at Funkenblitz and Alex Taylor at Defcon 3 got the engine built and the beam on. The car was ready at 1.00pm on Thursday and we literally put our bags in and drove straight to Germany. I've got to admit it was a bit nerve racking, as not only had the engine just gone together, but also because I hadn't remembered to sort out any European breakdown cover! And being in a hurry, had forgot to pump up the washer bottle! Eight hours later we were about 20 miles outside Bitburg in the rain in the dark with a dirt smeared windscreen - I could hardly see, and bearing in mind I'd had no sleep the night before it was really hard work.
Still we made it safely without a single hitch and in the morning I spent hours cleaning it all. The Gas Burners hadn't been polished for months - but by the time I'd finished they looked great again.
I've got to take my hat off to Pete and Alex - they did a great job.
So at least the car made it to one show this year! Oh, and hopefully it'll be at REME on Sunday.
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #165 on: September 24, 2010, 17:40:50 pm »

here's my contribution to this tread  Wink

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
streetvw

« Reply #166 on: September 24, 2010, 19:16:09 pm »

congrats Ivan that looks awesome  Cool
this car was real clean when it first hit the road and now with a few well placed tweeks it's turned into one of the best lookers in europe Shocked
Rob E

« Reply #167 on: September 24, 2010, 20:22:55 pm »

Yer great effort and great looking car.

Any pics of the engine install?

Will we see it at Sandown 2011?
Ivan

« Reply #168 on: September 28, 2010, 12:16:07 pm »

Thanks for the kind words. Glad you like the way the car turned out. I am really happy with the makeover, it's turned out just how I had planned. But I still have a few tweaks planned.
I had planned to have it at Sandown this year - but due to a problem with one of the lifter bores and a flat cam at the last minute the plan went to pot. It's taken a LONG time to get it back on the road - mainly due to the show season and the workload on the magazines, but it was great to get it back on the road and over to Bitburg. I drove it to REME this weekend for the Ivan Hirst vintage meeting and it's a lovely car to drive. My other '67 is a lot more violent, it's an animal. This one is a perfect combination of stock and performance, a car you can drive without any concerns.
This weekend I'll take it to Brighton Breeze. 
WayneMcCarthy

« Reply #169 on: September 28, 2010, 22:33:22 pm »

Simply Stunning ! Great Job on the Make Over Ivan .......
Rob E

« Reply #170 on: September 29, 2010, 08:41:28 am »

yer as wayne said, looks stunning  Cool
Jamie

« Reply #171 on: October 03, 2010, 09:25:40 am »

Saw this yesterday at Brighton Breeze, and all I can say is wow! The car is just so right. Stunning car. Congrats.

Jamie
Ivan

« Reply #172 on: October 03, 2010, 09:41:32 am »

Saw this yesterday at Brighton Breeze, and all I can say is wow! The car is just so right. Stunning car. Congrats.

Jamie
Thanks! We can only try our best can't we? If others like what we do, then great. Here are a couple of pics of the car at Brighton yesterday. Had a great run there, if a little cold. The drive home wasn't so good - it poured down the whole way home.

If you have a few minutes to spare have a look at our at our club blog and you'll see the engine rebuild.  http://jg54greenhearts.blogspot.com/
« Last Edit: October 03, 2010, 09:44:03 am by Ivan » Logged
Rob E

« Reply #173 on: October 04, 2010, 16:05:44 pm »

awesome! just awesome!

so when do we get to see a pic of the fleet together then!?  Grin
Ivan

« Reply #174 on: October 04, 2010, 17:16:48 pm »

I have to keep them apart for fear of sibling rivalry! Grin

When they are both at the same location again, I'll get some pics.

I was down at Funkenblitz yesterday and saw the beige one, I really miss driving the naughty little Bug.
Rob E

« Reply #175 on: October 04, 2010, 17:38:00 pm »

yer i bet, i know the feeling, with a bodyshell in Bude, and the chassis in my garage, i feel like we've seperated  Grin

Dont forget to include the vintage one too  Grin

whats left to do on the beige one?  Cool
Peter Roberts

« Reply #176 on: October 04, 2010, 17:52:48 pm »

Paint the engine bay , rebuild the engine with fresh cam ( CB 2295 , FK10 Equiv )  and lifters ( CB two piece 30mm ) . Heads have new guides and fresh VW650 Springs from CB Performance . Heads have been flycut a bit to get the compression up to 10 to 1 . External oil cooler to fit to car , along with temp gauge . Tinware re-furb ( cracked in places ) , Brasilia fan housing to go on . Re powder-coat tinware .
Ivan

« Reply #177 on: October 05, 2010, 13:29:17 pm »

Pete, you forgot to add 'your magic touch'!
vwhelmot

« Reply #178 on: October 06, 2010, 18:53:14 pm »

Just perfect mate, perfect!   Love from Lyndon. Kiss
Ivan

« Reply #179 on: October 07, 2010, 11:19:27 am »

Just perfect mate, perfect!   Love from Lyndon. Kiss
Long time no see my friend xx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: