The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 03, 2024, 16:54:56 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350874 Posts in 28608 Topics by 6828 Members
Latest Member: GSW Racing
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  D.K.P. Cruise Night / Classic '10
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: D.K.P. Cruise Night / Classic '10  (Read 16632 times)
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« on: June 12, 2010, 20:50:14 pm »

Well, it's hard to believe... but another year has gone by. It seems like not that long ago, we were at Nick's for D.K.P.'s 2009 pre-Classic Cruise Night. The year is now 2010 and this what Nick's looked like on Friday, June 11th.

Upon arriving to eat a huge Nick's breakfast burrito, the parking lot appeared as such.

Zach cruised Ass Hull's '67 from AZ.

This guy was telling Rosique and me that this is his only car. COOL! Just like we did, thirty years ago. He drove it down from San Jose.

Now THIS is what I call a nice daily driver / grocery getter / basic transportation engine!

And the cabin is rather nicely appointed with the Less Is More decor. REALLY dig this treatment!

One of D.K.K.'s founding members, Roy, got his car built and just moments before getting it to Nick's. A gorgeous '67 that's putting out 240 hp.

And Thanks to Mark Ramirez, this car became Roy's reality. Mark and others worked very hard to get the car completed by this event.

Hey, Mark... show the camera some love, will ya?

Roy's car certainly is a beauty. So cool to see the founding members get back into another Cal Looker. We have more of these cars in the works, too.

And... my favorite part of this car, the power cosmic. The engine room, where the magic takes place.

The cabin inner-sanctum ain't too shabby, either.

If you ever get a chance, look under the decklid and front hood on this car. The paint on the undersides puts most cars to shame. Even more impressive; you can't tell that there were any trim or badge holes, anywhere.

Panzer turns Kampfwagen... film at eleven. This news segment brought to you by Mr. Mason.

I've been a fan of orange skateboards since I was a pre-teen. But this Thing was something that I'd never imagined that I'd  live to see... a skateboard-like VW.

Another car from far away. Pennsylvania, to be exact. Behold... this 1951 Split with um... a not-so-stock power plant.

Like many of the cars in the debut area, this one is another quality build... through and through.

My best friend for almost forty years, Bob, in a sea of Panzers & Kampfwagens.

This 1960 Panel Bus is, by far, the most straightest body I've yet to see in my over three decades of being around VWs. Just insane! The undercarriage of this gem was equally as impressive. Another car from back east.

The passenger side was mirror-like, too.

Some DEEK'S car got in the way of my camera lens.

One of Russell's cars. A black Oval.

When John wasn't hiding or blowing up my cell phone, he was selling his artwork in the form of some very cool D.K.P. t-shirts. Thanks, John!

And yet another car from far off lands.

Keith was very comfortable and at home with our standard issue June Gloom weather conditions.

Look again... some things aren't quite what they seem.

Fabien B. scored a trophy from D.K.P. for his newest car... this red '67 with EMPI five spokes.

Interior shot reveals a few nice touches.

And the department or in this case, compartment of power.

Another car from another country was this gorgeous Meyers Manx from Canada.

The attention to detail(s) on this wonderful car needs to be witnessed in person for more of a fuller effect.

Even down to this very cool license plate frame. 'Tis not often one sees these, every day.

Just wall-to-wall goodness at every corner.

Mr. Crawford takes care of last minute stuff on his engine. The Oval on the far right was the other winner, this year. Yes, there was a tie for the award.

Accepting the award for Elliot's Oval was Buddy Hale, and Fabien for his '67. Congrats to you both!

Pip brought his Split r.h.d. convertible.

It is highly doubtful that one would be able locate these wheels just anywhere.

Sorry that I didn't take more pictures... I was too busy having fun with my friends and making new ones. Please feel free to post more of your images here, if you like. Lastly, a big thank you to Der Kleiner Panzers and Nick's for hosting this event.

« Last Edit: June 12, 2010, 21:04:26 pm by DKK_Fred » Logged

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2010, 21:30:53 pm »

thx for the report mark , any pictures of russell's black car Huh

fabs

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
Rennsurfer

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2010, 21:37:16 pm »

thx for the report mark , any pictures of russell's black car Huh

fabs

You mean this one, Fabian?

That's all that I got. Like I posted, I really didn't take a lot of pictures and I apologize for that. Hopefully, many other others will post some up on this site. There were plenty of cameras present. If not, we always have the magazines' coverage.

~Sarge
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2010, 21:44:29 pm »

yes ,but you're are talking about our russell from scotland or another one?

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
Rennsurfer

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2010, 21:49:49 pm »

yes ,but you're are talking about our russell from scotland or another one?

Unless I'm mistaken, I thought that the black Oval (in the picture) was/is Russell's (from Scotland), Fabian.

~Sarge
xavier

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2010, 22:00:22 pm »

This Oval looks like Rick Mortensen (ex?)car. wasn't it sold to Russel?
Xavier
Black Sheep

less is more

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2010, 22:42:53 pm »

I'm glad someone asked about this car coz I was curious too  Undecided

Stick with what you know works .
13.03 @ 98mph
58vw

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2010, 01:14:34 am »

awesome pics..thanks for sharing Grin

www.4inbore.com
Angleflows...order them now
javabug

WHAT'S UP WID DA BOOM BOOM???

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2010, 03:15:05 am »

No shortage of awesome '67s, and some other stuff.   Wink  Great pics, Mark. 

Mike H.

Sven was right.
OgCalLook

Straight outa Riverside!

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2010, 03:32:16 am »

Great Pics and commentary Mark!

Tom Hewitson
Bahama Blau Kafer

Zach Gomulka: "California Look is walking softly and carrying a big fucking stick."
Georg/DFL

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2010, 17:36:08 pm »

Thanks Mark for sharing! Couldn't make it this year, so the pictures help a bit to get over it!  Wink
Cheers,

Georg

Cal Look is not a crime
http://www.dflvwclub.de
"Happiness is a hot VW" - in memory of SOB
"When you run into a Cal Look guy he fits the mold. There's… the Cal Look guys, I don't know how to say it … they just seem to be." - Ron Fleming
vwcab

peter

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2010, 19:02:45 pm »

Nice pics dude,let them come.   Wink

'72 standard käfer
'74 cal-look project
'78 1303 cabrio
'12 Triumph street triple

ESCARABAJO's CALIENTEs
lofty1971

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2010, 21:34:24 pm »

Some awesome and inspirational cars  Grin
Nico86

Turnip engine.

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2010, 23:04:11 pm »

Thanks for the pics Mark  Wink

Rennsurfer

« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2010, 07:19:25 am »

Thank you, everyone, for the kind words on this thread and in person this weekend. Hopefully, we'll see even more images soon.

~Sarge
Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2010, 01:17:31 am »

Here's a few that I shot which aren't too awful..

Deeks meeting up so we can go in as a group

[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]

So this is your idea of Traffic Control?

OOOO Shiny

Roy Maples beautiful and just completed in time for The Classic '67... the newest addition to the DKK stable.

Stalkerazzi STALKED!

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
Rick Meredith
DKK

« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2010, 01:22:08 am »

Pretty little DKP cars all in a row

DKK as seen from the DKP area

Wormfro

DKP Members Shot

Rick Meredith
DKK

« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2010, 01:26:22 am »

Hey Mark.... is it your BIRTHDAY??  Grin

TarBabe out for an early morning stroll

Zach living the dream with AssHull's car...
DEEK for a day!

Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2010, 02:06:00 am »

What a weekend! First off I gotta publicly thank Chris (SlingShot) and Jeremy (j-dub) for helping me get this car "finished" in the past few weeks, and thier immense support this past weekend. I couldn't have done it without you, not a chance! The car has really been fighting us, but we all persevered and somehow made it happen. I drove it to Nick's from our friend Greg Lane's house in Costa Mesa just after we stuffed the motor back in it to solve input shaft and axle seal leaks that we discovered that morning. Jack & Derrick at JayCee hooked us up with some real estate and the tools to make it all happen, huge thanks to them, as well! Driving to Nick's was quite an experience considering that was the furthest trip the car had yet to take and I was still completely unfamiliar with it, I didn't know where the hell I was, the engine is and on/off switch, and California freeways are freakin nerve racking!! But, I swear to you, as soon as I saw the Brookhurst exit sign, I damn near had tears of joy. I pulled up and even though it was already packed with cars, Stephan took care of me and made me a spot right up front! I felt completely out of it that night from lack of sleep and exhaustion, so I apoligize for not being more talkative. It had been a tough road and felt like I had finally reached the finish line. It was great to finally meet so many people from The Lounge, and in fear of forgetting someones name I'll just not mention any of you! But you all know who you are. I was, and still am, bummed that AssHull couldn't make it for his cars' big day, but the Air Force had better ideas on his whereabouts last weekend Sad And just so everyone knows, he worked his ass off on this car every moment he could, and even though I had a lot of input, this car is all his! He didn't pay me one dime, he is my friend and that's what friends do.

To Worm, DKK Rick, and the rest of the club, it was an HONOR to be parked with you for The Classic, and be a DEEK for a day!! We had quite an interesting morning(!), showed up waaaayyy late, and they still made a spot for me right up front! You guys kick ass.

Tonight, I'm not working on the car! Grin

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Hecker

« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2010, 05:05:58 am »

I guess you found a gas station without a problem --- heck you probably found everything
easier than my friend BRUCE (61snrf) HE got lost on the way & on the way home -- he had
a small problem finding our post BUG-IN / post Classic eatery.....but logic prevailed........
Really glad you guys got everything handled !!! Thank goodness for the LOUNGE ,,,,,,Ron (hecker)
Bryan Nunes

« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2010, 05:18:00 am »

Hello everyone it was a great weekend. It was nice to meet everyone and put a face on some of you. Thank you DKK Fred for taking nice pics of my car, I've been looking for a nice pic to put on my profile  Wink, and Zach I've been watching you and Ass Hull building his 67, It's nice to see things in person and not on a screen, I really liked the seats in it. What a crazy time fun time it was it's hard to explane it, you just had to be there!

Rennsurfer

« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2010, 05:35:12 am »

Hello everyone it was a great weekend. It was nice to meet everyone and put a face on some of you. Thank you DKK Fred for taking nice pics of my car, I've been looking for a nice pic to put on my profile  Wink, and Zach I've been watching you and Ass Hull building his 67, It's nice to see things in person and not on a screen, I really liked the seats in it. What a crazy time fun time it was it's hard to explane it, you just had to be there!

You're quite welcome, man. Mr. Rosique and I really enjoyed your car and fully salute you for making it your only ride. Plus, driving it down from San Jose. Two thumbs up!

~Sarge
Bryan Nunes

« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2010, 05:49:23 am »

Thanks I got a lot of good complaments, people were trip en out that I drove down and than fliped out more when I told them it's my only car. From start to finish going between to all the hangout spots, shops, restaurants, and shows I put a little under 1200 miles  Cool. It was very self pleasing and just made the weekend better that i didn't have any problems. 
Rennsurfer

« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2010, 06:15:04 am »

It was very self pleasing and just made the weekend better that i didn't have any problems. 

THAT'S the best part, right there. Glad to hear that you not only had a good time, but were able to enjoy your car without any problems.

I can see why many people would flip out on the thought of driving a car like that as an only mode of transportation. But Dave and I totally got it and it brought back great memories of us doing the very same thing, three or so decades back. In fact, most of us Cal Look owners did it that way. The bottom line is... we're all having fun.

~Sarge
Lanny Hussey

« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2010, 06:37:10 am »

Thanks I got a lot of good complaments, people were trip en out that I drove down and than fliped out more when I told them it's my only car. From start to finish going between to all the hangout spots, shops, restaurants, and shows I put a little under 1200 miles  Cool. It was very self pleasing and just made the weekend better that i didn't have any problems. 
Bitchin car..spotless paint, all topped off with some good highway legs..and a young whippersnapper to boot..

1967, the only year that matters.
lawrence

« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2010, 06:37:40 am »

This was my second time at "the classic" and it was far more special because of all the friendly people I met. Saw some sweet cars at Nicks and took lots of pictures, but they are on film, so stay tuned for scans. Visiting shop open houses was cool and the main event on Sunday was huge. That surf band was good. Thanks again to Sarge and Sharon for inviting me over and introducing me to some legendary people who have been involved in our scene for a long time. Truly a great week that I will never forget!

"Happiness is a Hot VW!"
DKK Ted
DKK

« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2010, 07:12:41 am »

Great pis's Mark, this to me had to be the best yet of all DKP Classic Cruz Nights. Had a great time seeing old friends and making new ones. A big thanks to DKP for another succesful event. But John's T-Shirts were great. He out does himself every year, an artist for sure. Looking forward to next years DKP Classic Cruz Night, for sure.

Ted

VW Classic 2012
Rennsurfer

« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2010, 13:32:46 pm »

Thank you, Ted. And you're right... John's t-shirts were really cool this year.

~Sarge
Worm
DKK

Whose stupid idea was that?

« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2010, 14:37:46 pm »

John had shirts?

"Pretending to know everything closes the door on whats really there"
banditina

« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2010, 15:17:55 pm »

too mutch!!! Shocked Shocked Shocked

Pages: [1] 2 Print