The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 05, 2024, 03:49:08 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
351094 Posts in 28640 Topics by 6846 Members
Latest Member: JamesBoyd
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Plan-B project
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Plan-B project  (Read 9803 times)
danny gabbard

gabfab

« on: October 22, 2010, 03:31:00 am »

Well I was going to leave stock and then some idle time and BAM ! Lets Put some 5 spokes on and lower it. This is a 58 thousand mile car with mostly original paint other than some spot jobs on outside only. My good freind randy called me up and said he had something I might want to look at, And the rest is history. Here is a few shots of a little progress.

A poor craftsman, Blame's it on poor tools.  GAB-FAB shop # 775 246-3069
danny gabbard

gabfab

« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2010, 03:34:25 am »

Shots of beam cleaned and tore apart. A few peices collected and fixture I made about 20 years ago for doing a little cutting and welding on front beams.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 04:00:03 am by danny gabbard » Logged

danny gabbard

gabfab

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2010, 03:41:31 am »

And wheels that will be going on. Well after 4-5 hours cleaning in solvent tank and then another 4-5 hours sanding starting with fileing any small nicks then sanding with 80-150-220-320 grit sand paper and then cleaning with aluma-prep, The wheels. Picked up off of The samba a couple weeks ago, Four real nice 2nd gen 5 spokes with lugs and inserts.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 04:01:11 am by danny gabbard » Logged

Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2010, 04:32:21 am »

Dude, you have my attention. I dig the old/real EMPI five spokes (sand blasted spokes with natural/smooth outer lip). That car's gonna look SWEET.

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
danny gabbard

gabfab

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2010, 05:07:31 am »

Thanks fred. Again! This car is starting to become my favorite car I have ever owned in 30 something years. Nice but something I can drive and not be totaly worried over any chip or ding.

DKKBRIAN
DKK

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2010, 05:23:13 am »

MY FAVORITE TOO.. Grin

DUH..WINNING !
OgCalLook

Straight outa Riverside!

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2010, 05:33:26 am »

Damn! that thing is clean...... the BEST car IS a driver you don't have to worry about.

Tom Hewitson
Bahama Blau Kafer

Zach Gomulka: "California Look is walking softly and carrying a big fucking stick."
Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2010, 07:44:31 am »

It's gonna look awesome!

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
Kaferdog
DKK

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2010, 08:17:04 am »

Wow.... Shocked....Nice....!..Danny whats the story on this car...? How was it keeped so pristine...??

"I am on a drug, it's called 'Volkswagen.' It's not available 'cause if you try it once you will die. Your face will melt off, and children will weep over your exploded body."
javabug

WHAT'S UP WID DA BOOM BOOM???

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2010, 12:21:08 pm »

Looks great DG.  Please keep us posted.  Love the original 5-spokes.

(Sad thing is, if I weren't so lazy, the inner fenders on my '67 would clean up almost that nice.)   Undecided

Mike H.

Sven was right.
Jeff68

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2010, 13:19:39 pm »

This car is just awesome!  I don't know why, but I think it's so cool to be able to see the dimples where all the spot welds were placed all those years ago still  holding the panels together.  Very cool.  Cool
danny gabbard

gabfab

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2010, 17:28:56 pm »

Kinda funny storie about this car, My good friend randy about 25 years ago stopped by to inquire about a 66 bug and the people did not want to sell. Well about 3-4 years ago he saw the house was uo for sale so he stopped to ask about the 66 bug again and if they would sell it. Now this is where it gets good, They said yes, But! there is a another car and some parts. The other car was my 60 and had the trans out and not driven since 1973. The 60 was sprayed ca-trans orange on the out side only. Anyway randy new I was building my 62 cow-look car and called me and told me he had a car that I might want for the sheetmetal on it. So I get there and at first look I am like why did you call me for this shit box ? So I get the car and get home with it and really start looking at it and get my helper GEORGE, Cleaning and we blew the orange paint off and scraped what was left with bondo spreaders and a very smooth putty knife. Thats when I decided to try and save the original paint, I metal finshed all the large bumps and dents , Left the small ones . Then spoted or spot painted any bad areas and the rest is history. Have found some nos stuff that I am assembleing car back together with, Like I said earlier, This is turning out to be a keeper and one of my favorite cars I have built. Its nice to be the first guy to work on something that somebody else has not hacked up. Again thanks for your interst in the car, guys !!

lawrence

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2010, 19:30:15 pm »

In the second pic you posted there is a wire that attaches the fender beading to a hole that is drilled in the fender. Was that done from the factory? If so, it is very cool to see these little details only found on cars that have my untouched for most of their lives.

How about some more pics of the car? Engine, interior, etc.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 19:33:20 pm by lawrence » Logged

"Happiness is a Hot VW!"
vwcab

peter

« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2010, 20:22:52 pm »

Wow...once again an awesome ride from the "gabfab-shop".
Let the pics come!!  Wink
« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 20:35:30 pm by vwcab » Logged

'72 standard käfer
'74 cal-look project
'78 1303 cabrio
'12 Triumph street triple

ESCARABAJO's CALIENTEs
danny gabbard

gabfab

« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2010, 21:54:52 pm »

Thanks and lawrence I drilled the little holes and safety wired the ends.

Dave Rosique

nobodyouno

« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2010, 22:53:13 pm »

So let me get this straight... this car was orange when you bought it? Then a little srape here, some tap tap there, quickly "blow" the paint off and it looks like this?? No big deal, right?!?
Danny, I'm amazed, impressed, and quite frankly, you make me feel like a lazy sloth! What's in the water up there dude?? I want some Grin

Honestly, nice job! Always cool to see "survivors"

low oval
DKK

« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2010, 23:59:02 pm »

so, let me get this straight.
you got "randy" with the car, gave it a "blow" and "bob's your uncle".

"and that's when the cops showed up"
Rennsurfer

« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2010, 00:18:02 am »

(Sad thing is, if I weren't so lazy, the inner fenders on my '67 would clean up almost that nice.)   Undecided

That's VERY easy to accomplish. Long as it's not a California car, of course (undercoat). I've cleaned up several early Type 1 inner fender wells and got the factory paint to look like new. Just takes a little patience and effort. Or... you could fly me out there, feed me, and make sure that I have a couple of dark stouts per day.

Grin

~Sarge
Rick Meredith
DKK

« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2010, 00:23:34 am »

What's in the water up there dude?? I want some Grin

My guess would be Jack Daniels and little if any water!  Wink

javabug

WHAT'S UP WID DA BOOM BOOM???

« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2010, 03:08:55 am »

Or... you could fly me out there, feed me, and make sure that I have a couple of dark stouts per day.

That'd be cool, but:

A.  Right now I'm more broke than lazy
B.  If there are plane tickets involved I'll be coming your way, rather than vice-versa

It all sounds like fun, otherwise!   Cool

Seriously, most of the inner fenders on the east coast don't have steel, let alone paint anymore!

Mike H.

Sven was right.
Speed-Randy

« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2010, 04:11:54 am »

As soon as I was putting the wheels on that car and making it a roller, I noticed how clean it was and knew right then and there that only one person in the world would appreciate it, if I could get him past the hideous paint that was on it. Dont get me wrong, because i LOVE orange cars, but this wasnt even cal trans orange, it was just plain ugly. But it was so clean that I knew he was the one for this car. As for the parts he mentioned, lets just say 7 full truckloads later, i finally got everything out of the garage, damn that was a lot of stuff, mostly pre 59 stuff that i gave away to get rid of. No I dont have any of it left, I posted an add on the samba, and the 3 people who actually took the time to drive over didnt go home disappointed. Shocked But in other news, if anybody is interested in a decent 68 beetle( nowhere near as nice as the 60), I know where one is for about $500, and the dude NEEDS to get rid of it as escrow is closing on his house next week and it has to go. He keeps saying its a 67, but its an early 68, 4lug, big bumper, big taillghts car

Rennsurfer

« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2010, 04:46:27 am »

Or... you could fly me out there, feed me, and make sure that I have a couple of dark stouts per day.

That'd be cool, but:

B.  If there are plane tickets involved I'll be coming your way, rather than vice-versa

Seriously, most of the inner fenders on the east coast don't have steel, let alone paint anymore!

Yeah, sadly... I'm in the same boat. Broke AND lazy. But at least I'm happy. You're right about the fender wells. I keep forgetting that this isn't 1980 any more. The days of finding perfect undercarriages on old VWs are just about gone.

Speaking of which, Danny, do you know the color code or that car on this thread?

~Sarge
Kaferdog
DKK

« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2010, 06:08:21 am »

As soon as I was putting the wheels on that car and making it a roller, I noticed how clean it was and knew right then and there that only one person in the world would appreciate it, if I could get him past the hideous paint that was on it. Dont get me wrong, because i LOVE orange cars, but this wasnt even cal trans orange, it was just plain ugly. But it was so clean that I knew he was the one for this car. As for the parts he mentioned, lets just say 7 full truckloads later, i finally got everything out of the garage, damn that was a lot of stuff, mostly pre 59 stuff that i gave away to get rid of. No I dont have any of it left, I posted an add on the samba, and the 3 people who actually took the time to drive over didnt go home disappointed. Shocked But in other news, if anybody is interested in a decent 68 beetle( nowhere near as nice as the 60), I know where one is for about $500, and the dude NEEDS to get rid of it as escrow is closing on his house next week and it has to go. He keeps saying its a 67, but its an early 68, 4lug, big bumper, big taillghts car
Randy... where is this car at ..? I might be interested ....!...Lookin for a daliy driver Pm me when ya can ..Thanks Randy...<--Thats me !

"I am on a drug, it's called 'Volkswagen.' It's not available 'cause if you try it once you will die. Your face will melt off, and children will weep over your exploded body."
danny gabbard

gabfab

« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2010, 15:58:08 pm »

so, let me get this straight.
you got "randy" with the car, gave it a "blow" and "bob's your uncle".
Bob went to the docter and now he's my aunt.

danny gabbard

gabfab

« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2010, 16:03:41 pm »

So let me get this straight... this car was orange when you bought it? Then a little srape here, some tap tap there, quickly "blow" the paint off and it looks like this?? No big deal, right?!?
Danny, I'm amazed, impressed, and quite frankly, you make me feel like a lazy sloth! What's in the water up there dude?? I want some Grin

Honestly, nice job! Always cool to see "survivors"

Thanks dave , But we cant forget my helper george. He was the one that did all the cleaning and striping of the bitchen orange paint,I Buy him a beer every time I see him for it!!

danny gabbard

gabfab

« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2010, 16:05:59 pm »

Wow...once again an awesome ride from the "gabfab-shop".
Let the pics come!!  Wink
Well thanks !!

danny gabbard

gabfab

« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2010, 16:09:41 pm »

What's in the water up there dude?? I want some Grin

My guess would be Jack Daniels and little if any water!  Wink
I was told to conserve water in nevada, Theres a drought !

danny gabbard

gabfab

« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2010, 16:13:27 pm »

Do you know anybody with a presure washer with a boiler ? I was lucky randy has one and was nice enough to lend it to me to clean under carriage. They work great for undercoating removeal.

That'd be cool, but:

60deep

« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2010, 18:16:11 pm »

I was at Danny's shop last week and had a chance to check out all of his projects (including mine) and was very impressed with the amount and quality of work done to his cars. Of course, TOP NOTCH work! You have to see these cars in person, especially the 62'.                                 
Rick Meredith
DKK

« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2010, 00:42:02 am »

I was at Danny's shop last week and had a chance to check out all of his projects (including mine) and was very impressed with the amount and quality of work done to his cars. Of course, TOP NOTCH work! You have to see these cars in person, especially the 62'.                                 
X2

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: