The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 05, 2024, 11:48:00 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
351094 Posts in 28640 Topics by 6846 Members
Latest Member: JamesBoyd
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  UDO BECKER Tool Steel Lifters....
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: UDO BECKER Tool Steel Lifters....  (Read 26952 times)
rick m

Driving Hot VWs for 44 Years Strong!

« on: November 04, 2010, 15:14:08 pm »

Are any of you running UDO's tool steel lifters on the street?  If so, have you done any tear downs to see what they look like after they have 10,000, 20,000+ miles on them?  Just curious how their wear in relationship to the cam hardness.  I'm wondering what the cam lobes look like when running dual springs for a long period of time on the street.

Just thinking about the produce for another motor I am building.

Rick M

Rick Mortensen
Driving Hot VWs since 1970
Donny B.

« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2010, 15:56:01 pm »

Rick, I am running them and I hope I don't need to tear it down any time soon. From what I have been told you can use them over and over without doing anything.  Switch from cam to cam without issue.  I did it because I have had three cams go due to lifter pitting.  It is a big cost up front, but if it stops the cam failures it will be well worth it.  Remember you also need to run good oil.  I am running Brad Penn.  'nuff said...

Don Bulitta
Wolfsburg Registry
neil68

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2010, 03:05:50 am »

I've been running a set of Udo's lifters in my 2332 cc for the past two years.  I've run them with a Web 86C, then a Web 226 (one year each), both street driving and 1/4-mile racing (120 races).  They still look perfect after 6,000 km and I will be running them again with another camshaft next year.  They seem to be a quality product, much like the old Wizemann lifters, which could also be used with multiple camshafts.  No flat cams or lifter problems either Wink

Neil
Der Kleiner Rennwagens
'68 Beetle, 2332 cc, 204 WHP
12.5 seconds @ 172 KM/H (107.5 MPH)
Dynojet Test:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9B_H3eklAo
rick m

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2010, 05:37:31 am »

Hey Neil,  just the type practical feedback I was looking for.  I appreciate it.  Are you running dual springs? If so, do you know the seat pressure and what the total pressure is on the nose of the cam when the valve is fully open?

Rick M

Rick Mortensen
DKK Ted
DKK

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2010, 09:22:35 am »

Say, didn't AJ Sims sell some kind of toolsteel lifter at one time? Not taking away anything from UDO, I would buy them first, if I had the money. Just curious.

Ted

VW Classic 2012
Jason Foster

7.69 87mph 12.35 106 mph

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2010, 13:38:34 pm »

Yes he did, I have a set, they look great still and will go in my new engine with a new cam.

STRENGTH THROUGH JOY...........

Der Kleiner Panzers
Brandon Sinclair

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2010, 15:42:36 pm »

Geers and Udo also manufacturer a lightweight set of tool steel lifters if saving valve train weight is something you want to do...

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php?submit=yes&keywords=tool+steel&type=text&stype=all&username=&yearfrom=&yearto=&pricefrom=&priceto=&model%5B%5D=&section%5B%5D=&wanted=show&zip=&zipdist=0&state%5B%5D=&usaregion=&country=&sort=date&sort_order=DESC&submitButton=Search

Udo

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2010, 17:40:25 pm »

I've been running a set of Udo's lifters in my 2332 cc for the past two years.  I've run them with a Web 86C, then a Web 226 (one year each), both street driving and 1/4-mile racing (120 races).  They still look perfect after 6,000 km and I will be running them again with another camshaft next year.  They seem to be a quality product, much like the old Wizemann lifters, which could also be used with multiple camshafts.  No flat cams or lifter problems either Wink

This is how it shoud be ...
It took me some years until i got the same quality like the original Wizemann .
Regarding to the lightweights i must say that i am out of stock , but next year i will do new sets . I only started this because the original company was out of business and it was too expensive to get new ones from the current owner that bought all tools and knowledge about those nice parts that i will not miss
On the advertising there are my 94 gramms that i manufacture to offer some cheaper ones , it is from Alan Uyeno who distributes them on the other side of the ocean !

Udo
« Last Edit: November 05, 2010, 17:43:14 pm by Udo » Logged

neil68

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2010, 18:25:23 pm »

Hey Neil,  just the type practical feedback I was looking for.  I appreciate it.  Are you running dual springs? If so, do you know the seat pressure and what the total pressure is on the nose of the cam when the valve is fully open?

Rick M

Yes, the heads are using CB dual valve springs, but I don't know the peak spring pressure, as the springs were set up and shimmed by my head porter...K-Roc.

Neil
Der Kleiner Rennwagens
'68 Beetle, 2332 cc, 204 WHP
12.5 seconds @ 172 KM/H (107.5 MPH)
Dynojet Test:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9B_H3eklAo
DKK Ted
DKK

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2010, 18:44:50 pm »

Yes he did, I have a set, they look great still and will go in my new engine with a new cam.
Thanks Jason, how is your build going?

Ted

VW Classic 2012
j-f

Jean-François

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2010, 19:23:50 pm »

Just a question.

I saw on Bob Hoover's blog (RIP) that he advices to grind a groove to connect the 2 originals lifter oil grooves. It improves oiling as there is very few oil that comes there and even less with hi po cams as the lifter travel is altered from original. Lot's of people do that while building their engines.
He also drill a bore through all lifters housing to increase oil flow.

I was wondering if it could be a good idea to put lifters on a lathe and machine them to have a single bigger oil groove?
=>  Better lifters lubrication, more oil flow to the heads(as the oil travel from the lifters through pushrods to reach the heads.), better rockers lubrication and more oil to cool down the heads?
But, the lifters will be less guided in his housing?

I don't know if it's understandable as it quite hard to explain, even when I try in my  French mother language  Cheesy Cheesy Grin
Nico86

Turnip engine.

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2010, 19:34:25 pm »

Interesting JF.

Harry/FDK

Every Rule Was Made To Break, Even Callook...

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2010, 20:23:07 pm »

I will cut the groove diagonal between the original oil-lifter grooves as per recommendation from Steve Hollingsworth who's prepping my case / bronze bushing the lifterbores. It's gonna be a nightmare on Udo's lifters.

08-02-2011: not needed because Udo's lifters have a single groove.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 18:20:24 pm by Harry/FDK » Logged

Done ? Not Yet.
rick m

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2010, 20:24:24 pm »

J-F,

Interesting you should make that suggestion. You will recognize that a lot of V8 lifters are done that way.  We make mods to the case that help give 360 degree oiling in the same manner.  Anything that provides continuous lubriation under RPM is an improvement.

Rick M

Rick Mortensen
Udo

« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2010, 21:40:43 pm »

I think there is no problem with lubrication . The light weights only have one groove and it works .

Udo

Jon
Administrator

12,3@174km/t at Gardermoen 2008

« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2010, 22:08:18 pm »

If there is a problem with oil supply it would be the rockers on the exhausts on syl 1 and 2. since the cam followers on the intakes are limiting the access to the oil lines. I like this approach to solving that problem.

Grumpy old men have signatures like this.
c.v.helleri

« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2010, 01:53:48 am »

Sleeve the lifter bores. 
Torben Alstrup

« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2010, 02:23:00 am »

Hello.
The lifters themselves usually have enough oil pressure in both sides of the case. The real problem lies in getting enough oil into the rocker area. (On street cars mainly.) The Hoover solution with machining the case halfs for an extra supply line through the # 1 bearing saddle make a huge difference as to how much oil is coming to the rocker housing. I make this mod to all high end high power street engines.´(If people want to pay for it at least)
The grinding of the lifters to connect the two grooves for improoved oil passage gets LESS efficient the more the lifter lifts on the contrary to what most think. Simply due to the travel, so the lifter has less time in dock so to speak. Yet it is still a good mod to make, to keep lubrication at its best.
T
Bruce

« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2010, 04:13:32 am »

I was wondering if it could be a good idea to put lifters on a lathe and machine them to have a single bigger oil groove?
=>  Better lifters lubrication, more oil flow to the heads(as the oil travel from the lifters through pushrods to reach the heads.), better rockers lubrication and more oil to cool down the heads? 
I had the same idea.  It would provide oil flow during the whole travel of this wide groove instead of just two short intervals.

But, the lifters will be less guided in his housing?
I don't think this will be an issue.  If you look at an old lifter, you can see marks at each end of the round part, indicating that the forces on it want to cause it to wobble.  Remving bearing area in the middle won't have any effect on this.
Another benefit to this mod is reduced weight.
Brandon Sinclair

« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2010, 05:19:49 am »

I know another option instead of modifying the lifters if you have your case sleeved they can cut two grooves in the sleeves to keep the oil supply constant.  I know Steve Hollingsworth, and I think Rimco and Brother offer this service.
Jason Foster

7.69 87mph 12.35 106 mph

« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2010, 06:15:54 am »

Ted

SLOW.         

STRENGTH THROUGH JOY...........

Der Kleiner Panzers
Rasser

« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2010, 15:18:14 pm »

Anyone have any experience with Thorsten Piepers tool steel lifters?

For a good time, call:    1-800-Cal-look
1955 type1
1966 type2 13w deluxe
DKK Ted
DKK

« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2010, 23:52:28 pm »

Ted

SLOW.   

Hang in there buddy, you'll get, good things takes time.  Grin

Ted     

VW Classic 2012
rick m

« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2010, 08:37:19 am »

JHU, who did the case in your picture. That is how all mine are done. Works great!

Rick M

Rick Mortensen
Jon
Administrator

12,3@174km/t at Gardermoen 2008

« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2010, 20:37:10 pm »

Rick, that's a picture of JPM's case for his mouse engine. Nice little mod.

Grumpy old men have signatures like this.
rick m

« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2010, 04:59:37 am »

The groove around the entire lifter bore really ensures constant 360 flow, along with the grooves in the lifter.  Nice to see others are doing it as well. It works!

Rick M

Rick Mortensen
Brandon Sinclair

« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2011, 23:28:38 pm »

Ran across JayCee's new tool steel lifters.  Not sure of the weight but it is interesting that the pushrod cup is up higher so you can use a shorter pushrod.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1090201
Harry/FDK

Every Rule Was Made To Break, Even Callook...

« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2011, 23:44:08 pm »

Cool
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 18:18:38 pm by Harry/FDK » Logged

Done ? Not Yet.
Taylor

« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2011, 23:49:53 pm »

Ran across JayCee's new tool steel lifters.  Not sure of the weight but it is interesting that the pushrod cup is up higher so you can use a shorter pushrod.

unless you build a narrow motor... then your pushrods will be at an even more severe angle.
Udo

« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2011, 13:04:15 pm »

If it is a one piece lifter it make the lifter heavier . In one picture it looks like inserts for the pushrod. A shorter rod has less weight...
would be interesting what the weight is and how they work

Udo

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: