The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 03, 2024, 15:23:08 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350873 Posts in 28608 Topics by 6828 Members
Latest Member: GSW Racing
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  2276 keeps blowing oil filters from cold?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: 2276 keeps blowing oil filters from cold?  (Read 10356 times)
Rocket Ron

It's old school for a reason

« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2011, 12:07:43 pm »

Peach

what sort of oil lines do you have, are they the crimped style ones you see on a digger /excavator ??
« Last Edit: October 22, 2011, 12:11:13 pm by ROCKET RON » Logged

13.12 @ 101.84

Grooving out on life

You can't polish a turd but you can roll it in glitter
Peter Roberts

« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2011, 12:38:28 pm »

When I encountered this problem years ago , as I said before , the relief cover solved it . The relief spring in the case ( pulley end ) will stop the doghouse cooler blowing , although I have heard of other people having this problem ( personally I've never had the problem ) . But the case relief valve wont help the sudden pulse of thicker cold oil pressure at the filter , only 16" oil line distance from the pump . I put an Autometer oil pressure sender in a fitting at the oil filter bracket before , and the pressure at the filter bracket pinned the gauge past 150 psi easily .

Also , I don't care what burst pressure the Frams are supposed to have , but the oil " O " ring , will give out and get pushed out way lower than the canister burst pressure . In fact I tried a normal MANN , Golf GTI Mk2 oil filter ( Part No W719/5 ) , and I found this was way less likely to have blow the " O " ring out .

I normally run 15w40 oil in the summer , and 10w40 oil in the winter . I have thought about going down to a 5w30 oil , but had to move cars around here in a snow covered industrial state yard , in the middle of winter , the last few years , and haven't blown any oil lines or filters or coolers .

I also always use properly crimped hydraulic hose end fittings .

« Last Edit: October 22, 2011, 12:41:15 pm by Peter Roberts » Logged
Felix/DFL

« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2011, 21:36:52 pm »

When I encountered this problem years ago , as I said before , the relief cover solved it . The relief spring in the case ( pulley end ) will stop the doghouse cooler blowing , although I have heard of other people having this problem ( personally I've never had the problem ) . But the case relief valve wont help the sudden pulse of thicker cold oil pressure at the filter , only 16" oil line distance from the pump . I put an Autometer oil pressure sender in a fitting at the oil filter bracket before , and the pressure at the filter bracket pinned the gauge past 150 psi easily .

x2 install it...
all OEM use pressure relief systems direct in/at the pump. And that system costs money so it is there for "some" reason!
With an 30mm /blue printed pump (driving in the cold months) I would always use a relief cover to keep the filter save for cold starts.
The pressure is caused by the oil flow and that is everytime the same, even when the regulator piston opens wide... The pressure drop over the filter is high especially when oil is thick.Keep that in mind.
I always use a MK2 Diesel oil filter (OC47 I think) which has a simple over pressure vent inside which bypasses the filter element.
Have fun!
Bruce

« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2011, 07:07:15 am »

The pressure is caused by the oil flow .....
No, the pressure is caused by the LACK of flow.
The thick tar you are using can't get through the passages, so the oil volume backs up against the pump.  Since the pump keeps delivering oil, the pressure goes way up.
Use the proper thin oil, you get lots of flow without the pressure.
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: