The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 01, 2024, 16:01:06 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350869 Posts in 28606 Topics by 6828 Members
Latest Member: GSW Racing
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  paint or not to paint..... help!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: paint or not to paint..... help!  (Read 14307 times)
70slooker

hello

« on: January 07, 2012, 05:42:16 am »

so ive been collecting parts for a period build for sometime now and i am just about ready to go, but one thing is fighting me, i have a berg linkage with about 97% original paint in the blue, problem im having is i dont want to destroy such an original peice but this is the most complete (all original hardware) linkage i have found

so what should i do, strip it and paint it all beauty like in black of course, or just leave it alone as a display sorta thing?

Zündfolge Car Club
deano

« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2012, 05:52:30 am »

You can always clear coat it to add some shine to the original paint.... Just an idea.

Hot VWs Magazine Window Washer
Anglia Obsolete Guru
'67 Heaven
johnl

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2012, 05:57:52 am »

It is history, leave it as it is and enjoy it.  They are only original once.

Volkswagens Limited, Der Kleiner Panzers Founder Member
Celebrating 60 years of Volkswagens in my life 1963-2023

Life is a learning experience and then you die but when you do you've lived a good life if you contributed to your fellow man.
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2012, 06:34:01 am »

I love how that looks, wish mine was that nice (it's been chromed Undecided).

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2012, 10:24:37 am »

here's mine , and i will keep it as it was, i am just going to polish her

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
Russell

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2012, 10:36:16 am »

Yip, just clean it, however if it's a fully detailed car, paint it if you want, it's what it means that counts.....

Best Regards

Russell
fredy66

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2012, 10:56:29 am »

leave it as is

arabia slugs
Wünderwolff

aka Dr. Jeckill

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2012, 11:10:29 am »

Try to sell it and buy a different one. I'm sure someone is looking for this. Not me though already have a very, very, very nice one stored in a box somewhere  Grin

Wünderwaffe are Go!
Zach Gomulka

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2012, 11:20:49 am »

Does anyone know how to replicate that blue hammertone?

tonybone

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2012, 15:09:40 pm »

Looks very similar colour to light blue hammerite paint to me ! Gives a great hammered look !
kingsburgphil

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2012, 16:01:25 pm »

Here's what I've used.  (light blue)

http://www.rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=29&sid=7216830
« Last Edit: January 07, 2012, 16:03:29 pm by kingsburgphil » Logged
Fritte

2044 48IDA

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2012, 17:42:25 pm »

It is history, leave it as it is and enjoy it.  They are only original once.

X2

12.63-174kmt @ SCC 2012. JPM Dyno: 173hk @ 7000rpm. 209Nm
oppdatere til å bruke
DKK Ted
DKK

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2012, 18:38:21 pm »

Restore it, call Bergs to see if they remember what they used back then.

Ted

VW Classic 2012
iowa mark

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2012, 18:40:36 pm »

Please pardon my failing to understand the need to preserve a part in it's deteriorated state for use on a "period build". If this part was bought in a rusted and chipped way, back when new, we would all be upset at it's appearance. This whole notion of preservation of the old in the exact way it is found makes me wonder if replacing rings and bearings might be sacrilege to our motor rebuilds. If this was the first linkage Berg ever made, or the very last remaining example in existence, then by all means save it in a museum of antique VW speed parts. But if it is to be a recreation of a time long ago, then make it appear to be of that time. Some hated the blue color it came in and painted the thing way back in the 70's. There is a guy around where I live that bought an old Model A truck that was drug out of a farm shed for an auction. Covered with years of dust and chicken shit, he bought it and hauled it home. His loving wife decided to surprise him by washing it on the trailer as it sat in the driveway while he was at work. He just about divorced her because she had washed off all the original dirt. I think we need to put things in perspective and remember that all this thing is was a means to control a set of fuel metering devices. Not another lost golden ticket to the Wonka factory. By the way, I have in the past been wrong, and will continue to strive to those ends in the future. Wink
Bruce

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2012, 18:59:41 pm »

I agree with Mark.  This looks like SHIT.
Are you going to try to "preserve" the dirt too?
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2012, 19:18:08 pm »

you know what bruce , i will lick the dust just for you   Roll Eyes........ass h##e  Angry

that picture was the one in the "for sale description",  when i 've bought this one , since that time the linkage was cleaned and after all i do what i want with my parts i don't care about your mind

fabs

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
danny gabbard

gabfab

« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2012, 19:23:18 pm »

Grind all the square corners round and paint it. Just an old linkage!

A poor craftsman, Blame's it on poor tools.  GAB-FAB shop # 775 246-3069
Lee.C

I might be an Idiot but I'm not an Arsehole!

« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2012, 20:32:05 pm »

you know what bruce , i will lick the dust just for you   Roll Eyes........ass h##e  Angry

that picture was the one in the "for sale description",  when i 've bought this one , since that time the linkage was cleaned and after all i do what i want with my parts i don't care about your mind

fabs

Wink You either "Get it" or you Don't hey Fabs  Wink Smiley

You either "Get It" or you don't......
70slooker

hello

« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2012, 07:12:13 am »

WOW! great responce thank you to everyone, i like russel's opinion the best i think! and Mr.goss' in a pm he sent, lets face it the blue is almost as ugly as the linkage itself and to do a legit all the small details correct 70-71 looker build NONE of the big guys running these linkages had the blue still intact, i do infact have another incomplete linkage (if anyone has the center piviot please pm me  Wink) that i may strip and round the tops of the tabs  Smiley but if i cant complete the other linkage then this one will be painted, besides fabs still will have his blue one

thanks everyone!
Kevin

Zündfolge Car Club
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2012, 11:11:17 am »

In the old days of Cal Look, people ran the best, newest parts they could, so I guess to be true to the ideals of the original Cal Look, you should run the best, newest parts you can buy today! Cheesy

I for one would never have a linkage like that anywhere near an engine of mine – it was only ever a very poor copy of the far better Speedwell set-up. Sell it on eBay and buy one of the new Berg linkages! No point in running what was a poor product in its day just because it's old... But that's just my opinion.  Smiley

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
deano

« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2012, 19:34:10 pm »

I'd still clear it, dirt and all....  Grin

Hot VWs Magazine Window Washer
Anglia Obsolete Guru
'67 Heaven
Russell

« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2012, 20:04:04 pm »

In the old days of Cal Look, people ran the best, newest parts they could, so I guess to be true to the ideals of the original Cal Look, you should run the best, newest parts you can buy today! Cheesy

I for one would never have a linkage like that anywhere near an engine of mine – it was only ever a very poor copy of the far better Speedwell set-up. Sell it on eBay and buy one of the new Berg linkages! No point in running what was a poor product in its day just because it's old... But that's just my opinion.  Smiley

Yip glad it just your opinion as it's wrong...... Having an original period product is way cooler, lets face it throw away the brm's the DDS shifter and the magneto....... And let's go with modern shit that not last......  Grin Grin Grin

Cheers mate.

Best Regards

Russell
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2012, 22:00:02 pm »

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

OC1967vw

« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2012, 22:19:20 pm »

Zach,
the original hammertone bluepaint that GBE had used for years is no longer made by the manufacturer.Talked to them last year and found out from them that it had been discontinued as part of their reconfiguration of their product line.
Zach Gomulka

« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2012, 03:57:09 am »

Zach,
the original hammertone bluepaint that GBE had used for years is no longer made by the manufacturer.Talked to them last year and found out from them that it had been discontinued as part of their reconfiguration of their product line.

Well that is a damn good reason to leave it original paint then. And I guess I'll have mine rechromed :/

mg

« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2012, 05:30:56 am »

if you leave it as is what patina would be correct for the fan shroud and cyl tin?
Zach Gomulka

« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2012, 05:34:30 am »

if you leave it as is what patina would be correct for the fan shroud and cyl tin?

Since they still make black paint, I don't believe that is an issue.

70slooker

hello

« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2012, 08:09:39 am »

my goodness what have i started  Tongue

Zündfolge Car Club
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2012, 09:34:12 am »

Hammer-finish paint is still readily available from here, in a wide variety of colours, including blue (paler than shown on the website), and black and white, if you need to mix:
http://www.hammerite.co.uk/products/direct_to_rust_metal_paint_hammered_finish.jsp

Jeff68

« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2012, 15:07:16 pm »

For what my opinion is worth (not much! Grin) If you want your engine, or car to look like it was built 40 years ago and left in a barn unused for the last 15 years don't restore the linkage.  If you want your car to look like what a new Cal-Look car looked like 40 years ago, restore the linkage the way it was when it was new. It's up to you, it's your car after all. Enjoy it!

The only thing to keep in mind is to make sure the linkage works properly, is safe and won't leave you stranded somewhere far from home.  If you really drive your car I would just make sure that whatever old part you use WORKS.  I personally have no patience with parts (new or old) on my car that don't work properly and ruin the experience of driving it.
Just my 2 cents.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: