The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 05, 2024, 09:44:06 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
351094 Posts in 28640 Topics by 6846 Members
Latest Member: JamesBoyd
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  The IDA copmes of age ;)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: The IDA copmes of age ;)  (Read 6239 times)
Lids

show me the chedder

« on: June 01, 2007, 15:45:17 pm »

I have been thinking about EFI for a while now, and I think I might choose this route.

http://www.redlineweber.com/html/throttle_bodies/Throttle%20bodies_ida.htm

All the roar of IDA's but it will pull from 30mph in 4th.

If there's enough horse shit around, there must be a pony!
Buy your ciderberry here.

http://www.thatcherscider.co.uk/
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2007, 16:04:41 pm »

Why cant they just make FI that looks just like an IDA? They do it with Stromberg 97's...

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2007, 16:06:26 pm »

Actually, couldn't you just gut some IDAs and use them for air flow only. Then put injectors discreetly in the manifolds?

--louis

Louis Brooks

The Beatings Will Continue Until Moral Improves!
Lids

show me the chedder

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2007, 16:06:58 pm »

I was talking to a friend about this, you could tap your manifolds and run a rail  and just use the IDA's as a throttle body.  Connect false hoses etc, nobody would know.

Lids

show me the chedder

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2007, 16:07:38 pm »

oops reply at the same time

H67bug

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2007, 16:10:16 pm »

I was talking to a friend about this, you could tap your manifolds and run a rail  and just use the IDA's as a throttle body.  Connect false hoses etc, nobody would know.

Doesnt Ritchies split do that or similar?
Lids

show me the chedder

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2007, 16:15:47 pm »

If i did go EFI, what extra crap do i need to install to get it to run?

What do people recommend?

Peter

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2007, 18:29:24 pm »

hi dude;
you ll need an ecu, lots of wires, throttlebodies, injectors, fuel press regulator, fuel pump; some temp sensors,
and thats about it
i m using megasquirt; because its cheap ( ecu is about 250 bucks) ; you can find ALL info , the software, EVERYTHING online,
the tuning is also pretty easy and fun Grin

cheers, Peter
jick

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2007, 20:00:31 pm »

a skirt, wig and lipstick you bender.

efi is for girls.

Lids

show me the chedder

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2007, 20:24:57 pm »

Tell me that when you can only smell my exhaust fumes.  See Ya Wink

Grelland

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2007, 22:41:45 pm »

Why cant they just make FI that looks just like an IDA? They do it with Stromberg 97's...

Now I am getting lost. You want to take advantage of modern technology, but it need to look like it is some 40 years old???

Sometimes the entire cal-look thing puts me off; seems everybody is stuck in the mid 70's or something, and refuse to take advantage of the progress the rest of the automotive industry have taken advantage of. In the mid 70's people wanting to upgrade their old VW's used the best technology available at the time, and stuff like IDA's etc was added to their cars. I believe that using the same philosophy today would certainly encourage EFI and other modern gadgetery, but still being true to the basic philosopy of the cal-look.

Or am I way off here?

Or maybe it is simply like stated in the top right hand corner on this forum: "- It’s a Cal Look thing – you wouldn’t understand” ;-)
« Last Edit: June 01, 2007, 22:43:31 pm by Grelland » Logged

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2007, 00:26:24 am »

Tell me that when you can only smell my exhaust fumes.  See Ya Wink

the only exhaust fumes of yours i'll be smelling are those of your vauxhall..... Cheesy

Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2007, 07:53:00 am »

Now I am getting lost. You want to take advantage of modern technology, but it need to look like it is some 40 years old???

Yes. IDAs are beautiful.

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Tobi/DFL

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2007, 10:31:38 am »

Hi Roy,

I know what you mean and I have had some discussions with friends driving more "modern" bugs than I do. We all want to go fast but we seemingly want to achieve this by totally diferent methods.

Sometimes the entire cal-look thing puts me off; seems everybody is stuck in the mid 70's or something, and refuse to take advantage of the progress lot more, nhe rest of the automotive industry have taken advantage of. In the mid 70's people wanting to upgrade their old VW's used the best technology available at the time, and stuff like IDA's etc was added to their cars.

You are most certainly right! Wink Anyway, for me personally it´s a challenge to be faster with my car (that has simple carbs and nearly nothing you could describe with "technology" by today´s standards) than a modern turbocharged car - at least when it comes to acceleration. Grin
That doesn´t mean that I´m not interested in things such as turbocharging, fuel injection etc. but for my ovalwindow I prefer oversized IDAs which will always be a compromise - not more and not less. Grin
I remember the first time I tested my then new 2176 engine on an old airport-track 2 or 3 years ago. There was a guy with a Golf MK2 with turbocharging and seemingly all the greatest parts, as everybody was talking about that car and there was a huge crowd around it. That car was supposed to be really fast.
I made about 10 passes that day, starting with a 15something seconds and improving constantly after I got used to the handling of the car (I was used to have about 100hp in that bug before...). The more runs I had made, the lower the ETs got. At a moment when I made some 14 second passes I was to stage next to that turcocharged Golf, but he said he wouldn´t drive against me! Cheesy So I had to do a by-run and made my first 13 second pass (13.84 to be exact). Afterwards the guy with that Golf packed all his stuff and left the airport...! Cheesy I heard that his car ran mid 14s before so he obviously didn´t want to lose a race against that old crappy bug.

I believe that using the same philosophy today would certainly encourage EFI and other modern gadgetery, but still being true to the basic philosopy of the cal-look.

Maybe you are right but I think that most of the people who are usually writing in this forum are firm believers in the "traditional Cal Look" so they are building/driving cars that are either influenced by the cars from the good ol´ days or even own some vintage survivors. Those people won´t fit modern technology to their cars as it simply doesn´t fit the "theme" of their cars.
BTW: there are cars like the Gates-Split (now owned by Russel) that in my opinion are modern interpretations of a  Cal Looker and run modern technology such as FI. But as great as I personally think those cars are, they aren´t representing the "original" Cal Look for me...(this is your part now, Shubee! Wink)

Tobi

Peter

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2007, 11:36:21 am »

well throw away all your repro shit or it isnt a cal look, including newer stuff like alternators, disc brakes, line locks,  MSD and all that other crap,
just build your car like you want to, if its not traditional, than your an innovator :d
Lee.C

I might be an Idiot but I'm not an Arsehole!

« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2007, 13:08:27 pm »

a skirt, wig and lipstick you bender.

efi is for girls.

couldn't agree more dude  Wink
« Last Edit: June 02, 2007, 13:18:35 pm by monkiboy » Logged

You either "Get It" or you don't......
H67bug

« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2007, 13:11:17 pm »

Those IDAs, whilst being I am sure technoligically advanced, look a little too modern IMHO>

Russells split did sound great when it ran, nice and smooth.

Although, for many of us this procrastination is just another way to spend longer building the car! Grin Grin Tongue
Peter

« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2007, 18:32:52 pm »

I think people buy those big IDA's to make up for their masculinity Smiley if thats re
Peter

« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2007, 18:36:35 pm »

ally a word
kinda like small d*cked guys that need a big car  Grin Grin
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: