The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 01, 2024, 15:42:39 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350869 Posts in 28606 Topics by 6828 Members
Latest Member: GSW Racing
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  hey look at this chrysler guys shirt!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: hey look at this chrysler guys shirt!  (Read 15110 times)
70slooker

hello

« on: June 01, 2012, 04:25:48 am »

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/2x6dlrLGmUw" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/2x6dlrLGmUw</a>

Grin

Zündfolge Car Club
56BLITZ
DKK

« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2012, 06:49:26 am »

Mopar guy or not . . . wearing that shirt, he’s alright in my book!  Cool

I want to see part two to find out if he has just the shirt or if he has a Bug also! Wink

Jesucristo es mi Señor y Salvador!
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2012, 09:13:43 am »

Great shirt!

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2012, 09:46:42 am »

Mopar guy or not . . . wearing that shirt, he’s alright in my book!  Cool

I want to see part two to find out if he has just the shirt or if he has a Bug also! Wink
He might have owned one once, when he was a kid... Grin Grin Grin
« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 09:48:33 am by Fastbrit » Logged

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2012, 16:53:45 pm »

Rumor has it that he make lurk around here from time to time  Grin

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
johnl

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2012, 17:13:44 pm »

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/2x6dlrLGmUw" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/2x6dlrLGmUw</a>

Grin

I had to laugh when I saw this one.  We must have someone who doesn't know who I am.  When I did this 30 minute program (The Vintage Vehicle Show with Lance Lambert) on 6 of my 7 Chryslers I wore the VW shirt purposely.  I've been a Chrysler guy pretty much all of my life and a VW guy only for 49 years.  Because we were only doing the Chrysler collection I felt I needed to support the VW mark.

For those of you who haven't seen all of the videos go to YouTube and type "John Lazenby" and you'll find them.  If you look hard you will also see our 2001 M5 BMW parked on the street and in the '55 Imperial segment I think you can see our '63 VW parked under a cover.

Who knows, maybe there will still be a Cal-look VW in my future.  Huh Huh Huh  One never knows, do they....   Wink Wink   Grin Grin Grin

Volkswagens Limited, Der Kleiner Panzers Founder Member
Celebrating 60 years of Volkswagens in my life 1963-2023

Life is a learning experience and then you die but when you do you've lived a good life if you contributed to your fellow man.
Rick Meredith
DKK

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2012, 17:42:49 pm »

So John, what's the story behind the '57 300C?

One of the managers I worked for at BAP/Geon on St. College had a similar one.
He also used to own Father's Bar on 17th St. just west of the 55 and lived in Tustin on 6th St.
His name was Ron Duff.

Just wondering if there was a connection.

johnl

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2012, 18:28:33 pm »

So John, what's the story behind the '57 300C?

One of the managers I worked for at BAP/Geon on St. College had a similar one.
He also used to own Father's Bar on 17th St. just west of the 55 and lived in Tustin on 6th St.
His name was Ron Duff.

Just wondering if there was a connection.

There are stories about each of our cars (we have four Letter Cars) along with a '53 Imperial Newport, 823 built and this is one of about 10 documented survivors.  A '55 Imperial Newport that I brought back to life from a parts car and our '55 Town & Country New Yorker Deluxe Wagon (one of 1036 built) that we believe was originally owned by Cecil B. DeMille, the movie directory.  The story of the '57 300C is long to write here and I'm sure most of the readers wouldn't be interested but I did write a lengthy article on this car and called it "Destiny" as there were so many things that put me with this car it could be a great script for a movie.

I don't or didn't know Ron Duff, but probably somewhere I've crossed paths with his car as I know most of them.  I'll check with my sources and see if his name comes up in the clubs records.  If you can give me a time frame it would assist in the search regrading Ron's car.

1515 N. St. College Blvd. in Anaheim is where I broke into the auto parts business.  Ron O'Dell was the store manager and not a very nice guy BUT I learned much from him and consider his brutal treatment of his employees, myself included, part of my success today. 

At the same time Doug Haydon (Haydon Brothers Automotive) and Greg Aronson (FAT Performance) worked in the machine shop there.  All three of us were in DKP back in those days and it was Doug Haydon and myself who purchased the remaining inventory of real American Mags (VW) directly from American Racing back in 1971.

Life is a learning experience and then you die but when you do you've lived a good life if you contributed to your fellow man.
Rick Meredith
DKK

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2012, 18:53:19 pm »

This would have been around 1982-83 or so.

I knew Ron O'Dell well. By the time I started at BAP, he had risen to overseeing all the retail stores. This would have been after BAP was purchased Repco.
You're right about his brutality towards his subordinates. He did things that would definitely wind up in court if done today.

johnl

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2012, 19:08:12 pm »

This would have been around 1982-83 or so.

I knew Ron O'Dell well. By the time I started at BAP, he had risen to overseeing all the retail stores. This would have been after BAP was purchased Repco.
You're right about his brutality towards his subordinates. He did things that would definitely wind up in court if done today.

My time there was 10 years prior to yours.  It was actually owned and operated AJS (Allen James Sherman) back then.  While I was there BAP was taking it over.  Did you ever hear the story of how Ron O'Dell met his demise?  It was rather violent as I've heard.

Rick Meredith
DKK

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2012, 19:10:22 pm »

Yes I heard... wasn't pretty.

johnl

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2012, 19:19:39 pm »

Yes I heard... wasn't pretty.
  I'll never forget him looking at you with "that" eye....  Last time I saw him was a few years later.  I was going east on the 91 Freeway close to Euclid and he pulled up next to me with some gal in the car, honkey and waived.  He definitely made an impression on me.  It wasn't much longer after that he was found in the Motel room in San Diego.....color]

70slooker

hello

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2012, 02:01:35 am »

Grin

I had to laugh when I saw this one.  We must have someone who doesn't know who I am.  When I did this 30 minute program (The Vintage Vehicle Show with Lance Lambert) on 6 of my 7 Chryslers I wore the VW shirt purposely.  I've been a Chrysler guy pretty much all of my life and a VW guy only for 49 years.  Because we were only doing the Chrysler collection I felt I needed to support the VW mark.

For those of you who haven't seen all of the videos go to YouTube and type "John Lazenby" and you'll find them.  If you look hard you will also see our 2001 M5 BMW parked on the street and in the '55 Imperial segment I think you can see our '63 VW parked under a cover.

Who knows, maybe there will still be a Cal-look VW in my future.  Huh Huh Huh  One never knows, do they....   Wink Wink   Grin Grin Grin

ohh common i knew, i was just trying to be funny, great cars john! i liked the episode with the wagon in it and how you more or less put peices to the puzzle to find out some of its (maybe) former life, guess we should all start looking under the seats!

Zündfolge Car Club
Dano382

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2012, 18:16:27 pm »

Who knows, maybe there will still be a Cal-look VW in my future.  Huh Huh Huh  One never knows, do they....   Wink Wink   Grin Grin Grin[/color][/i][/b]
[/quote]

One of these days John  Grin Grin Grin
2manytoys

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2012, 05:26:22 am »

very cool John...I hope there is Cal Look VW in your future...they are tons o'fun

Patrick Friel -..2manytoys, not enough time or money
Rick Meredith
DKK

« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2012, 05:30:18 am »

Yeah John... sooner or later..

Maybe sooner.  Grin
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 05:34:51 am by DKK Rick » Logged

johnl

« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2012, 05:51:46 am »

Yeah John... sooner or later..

Maybe sooner.  Grin

Well, I guess I can share the news now.  Last Saturday, Christie's birthday I purchased a very nice 1960 sedan that is a pan off car and done very well.  The motor is an 82mm Berg crank with Carrillo rods and Jeff Dunham heads.  Greg Brinton was involved with the build and this car has very few miles on it. 

The color is supposed to be Palm Green a VW bus color back in the mid '50's.  Interior is red with a red headliner which was concerning until I saw it and then it all worked for me.  Auto Meter gauges, real Fuchs, four wheel disc brakes and the list goes on and on.

I took it to the DKP meeting today and then on to Nick's for the first showing.  Ron Fleming also showed up in his newly purchased '60 sunroof.  I had looked at this car also and came very close to buying it but Ron beat me to the punch.  Now that I've seen both cars together I'm very pleased with my purchase.

A few things I'll change but for the most part the car is ready to enjoy and I hope to have many years and miles of fun ahead.  Thanks to Dave Greiner for providing photos and info on this car.  Oh, an last Christie thinks it is pretty cool..   Wink Grin Grin

Rick Meredith
DKK

« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2012, 05:58:19 am »

It sounds great too John.

It's a very nice purchase.

70slooker

hello

« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2012, 06:18:25 am »

sweet score john! wish i was going to the classic this year to check it out and shake your hand!

and with mr.fleming getting a new car does this mean someone will get him on the lounge?  Grin

Zündfolge Car Club
Fritter

« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2012, 14:41:11 pm »

Whoa, car looks great John!  And Ron Fleming has another VW now too.  Anyone have pics of his new machine?  Very cool!!

Mike F.
'64 Indigo Blue sunroof Bug
johnl

« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2012, 15:33:24 pm »

Whoa, car looks great John!  And Ron Fleming has another VW now too.  Anyone have pics of his new machine?  Very cool!!

Here are a few shots of Ron's car that I took the first time I saw the car.  It reminds me Aronson's car back in the day.

Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2012, 15:35:57 pm »

Crazy old men – will they never learn?  Grin Grin Grin

Ron called me the other day to tell me his 'secret' – heaven help the Orange County PD with you two out and about! Cool

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
Rennsurfer

« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2012, 15:37:55 pm »

Great looking cars, John! Thanks for sharing.

~Sarge
johnl

« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2012, 16:00:53 pm »

Great looking cars, John! Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for the kind words...........   Grin Grin  Regarding Keith's comments about "Crazy old men", well I'd say at this stage of our lives we are not dangerous anymore.  Ron says he is going to leave the car alone and just enjoy it.

For me I'll do a few things but I've come to the realization that for me to build another car was cost phrobitive and physically I couldn't do it.  Going in for Cataract surgery the end of this month so maybe my vision will improve but that still doesn't help the worn out body and lack of energy.  You young guys enjoy it while you've got it..

I've always wanted an Anthracite car and came close to buying a beautiful '62 sunroof from Dave Glassie a year or so ago.  Unfortunately another Chrysler appreared and it was a car I'd been looking for most of my life so I went for it.  The other issue was Dave's car was painted but needed to be put back together and a complete running gear done.

I was sorry that I didn't get Ron's car but as I've always believed everything is for a reason.  A couple of weeks later the car I purchased was there for me to take home and the truth for me is I'm happier with what I purchased over the other car.  It is very close to the color I wanted and the only other issue is there is no hole in the roof, but the truth to that is I'm constantly fighting skin cancers so I need to stay away from Mr. Sun..    Sad Sad   Angry Angry

So now Ron and I can race, or should I say drive into the sunset..............     Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool

Rennsurfer

« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2012, 16:17:49 pm »

All good points, John. But you can look at it this way; call it an overcast or moon roof instead of a sun roof and your hole-in-the-roof thing is solved. See? It worked itself out.

Grin

Can't wait to see those cars in person with my Nikon. Congrats on the cars to both of you!

~Sarge
johnl

« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2012, 16:26:23 pm »

All good points, John. But you can look at it this way; call it an overcast or moon roof instead of a sun roof and your hole-in-the-roof thing is solved. See? It worked itself out.

Grin

Can't wait to see those cars in person with my Nikon. Congrats on the cars to both of you!

Overcast days are even worse for guys like me..  I don't like cold, so a moon roof might not do it either..

I'm sure you will see both cars this coming weekend at Nick's and or the Classic.  Get the camera fired up.......   Shocked Shocked Shocked

Troy Palmer

« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2012, 16:42:56 pm »

John,
When I pulled up yesterday, I have to be honest I did a double take when I saw you in the drivers seat.  The car looks amazing.  The color is one of those colors that you have to look at in differnt light conditions to appreciate (meaning it has a suttle complexity).

Both John and Ron's cars are topself and well bought.
Troy
danny gabbard

gabfab

« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2012, 17:18:31 pm »

I'm glad karl's car went to a good home! Kinda weird Last night I was just wondering if he still had it. I remember seeing it at greg britton's shop for the first time,  I was over at gregs fixing a fender on a 356 speedster a couple years ago. And its a great color combo carl did on it. Anyway nice buy!! Enjoy.

A poor craftsman, Blame's it on poor tools.  GAB-FAB shop # 775 246-3069
Fritter

« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2012, 17:56:55 pm »

Both awesome cars!  Hope to see them someday. John, I am in line for Thunder Mountain railroad at Disneyworld right now with my 6 year old. Thought you would like that. Cheesy

Mike F.
'64 Indigo Blue sunroof Bug
johnl

« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2012, 18:18:37 pm »

Both awesome cars!  Hope to see them someday. John, I am in line for Thunder Mountain railroad at Disneyworld right now with my 6 year old. Thought you would like that. Cheesy

Mike,  you are only about 1.5 miles from me NOW.  If you can break away come to my office and I'll show you 22 world class cars in our building.  Are you here for this weekend?  If so, I'd like to meet you in person.

John

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: