The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 01, 2024, 16:37:03 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350869 Posts in 28606 Topics by 6828 Members
Latest Member: GSW Racing
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  what is the best thing about your car?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: what is the best thing about your car?  (Read 10976 times)
nicolas

« on: July 06, 2007, 10:51:04 am »

ahhhh! i just ran my 1641 after the engine didn't run for 2 years +.

so i just ran it with a jerrycan of petrol on the pump and fired it up now all the oillines are connected. didn't last long as the external oilcooler was cracked and i got oil all over the floor. so that was bad.

BUT i heard those lovely straightcut cams zzzzzzzzzzz in my ears and it felt nice. i truely like that sound and it is one of the best things in my car. i wasn't even mad to see the mess and clean it up.

i bet you have also such little things that make your car, YOUR car. maybe it's the monster tach, the 48 IDA's or the empi sender, or just something you like about your car.

have a nice day

BTW the weathergods are letting us all know we have to greatfull to them as it has been raining everyday since EBI...

cal-look.net

« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2007, 11:22:58 am »

I am quite partial to my blue tinted NOS Talbot Berlin racing mirror, love the bark of my Italian 48 IDAs and my (fake) Feb '75 California plate as a bit of a nod to Hot VWs!

Lee.C

I might be an Idiot but I'm not an Arsehole!

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2007, 12:09:25 pm »

the best thing about my car is that I can take it to the strip then take it off roading and still cover over 1500 miles in TEN DAYS

and all without missing a single beat   Grin Grin Grin
« Last Edit: July 06, 2007, 12:13:18 pm by monkiboy » Logged

You either "Get It" or you don't......
Sarge

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2007, 18:08:58 pm »

Heading out the driveway on a beautiful, sunny California day... Wink (sorry guys, couldn't help myself  Grin)

DKP III
Cornpanzer

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2007, 19:11:39 pm »

Its getting to the point that its no longer the bits, but the history I have with the car.  It 13 years this summer (not as long as some, but still a lot). 
Its been to California to the VW Classic.  It ran its best N/A time at Carlsbad (RIP).  Its ran mid-13s to high 10s and everything in between.  Ive driven it on the freeway in thunderstorms with recapped slicks and aged Dyno Don a couple years on ano9ther freeway on real slicks.  Its been featured in four magazines and every time was a thrill. 
Its starting to get a little bit beat up and slightly cut up, but none of that matters to me anymore.  I dont enjoy working on her as much as I used to and I can see that someday I will get my fill of going fast and breaking parts.  Maybe then I will do a restoration to a "true" cal-look car.
Just put the gearbox back in the car today.  Seems like I could do it blindfolded anymore   Grin  Thanks for letting me talk about her!  Smiley
« Last Edit: July 06, 2007, 19:15:24 pm by Cornpanzer » Logged

'67 Turbo Sedan
Ultra VW Contributor
Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2007, 05:50:24 am »

Memories!

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
Jon
Administrator

12,3@174km/t at Gardermoen 2008

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2007, 10:49:46 am »

The best ting about my cars is that they let me use my creativity on them, and that I decide whats wrong and right  Grin

Grumpy old men have signatures like this.
nicolas

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2007, 12:07:53 pm »

Its getting to the point that its no longer the bits, but the history I have with the car.  It 13 years this summer (not as long as some, but still a lot). 
Its been to California to the VW Classic.  It ran its best N/A time at Carlsbad (RIP).  Its ran mid-13s to high 10s and everything in between.  Ive driven it on the freeway in thunderstorms with recapped slicks and aged Dyno Don a couple years on ano9ther freeway on real slicks.  Its been featured in four magazines and every time was a thrill. 
Its starting to get a little bit beat up and slightly cut up, but none of that matters to me anymore.  I dont enjoy working on her as much as I used to and I can see that someday I will get my fill of going fast and breaking parts.  Maybe then I will do a restoration to a "true" cal-look car.
Just put the gearbox back in the car today.  Seems like I could do it blindfolded anymore   Grin  Thanks for letting me talk about her!  Smiley

no problem!

i always like to read the turbo conversion article in vwtrends about your car and the pictures i saw of it in magazines always look good to me. please share some more stories about your car. if you are not working on it, you might as well talking about it  Grin
javabug

WHAT'S UP WID DA BOOM BOOM???

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2007, 04:09:46 am »

Dave's car has always sat just right.  Its just one of those cars...

Mike H.

Sven was right.
javabug

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2007, 04:12:14 am »

Maybe my steering wheel?

Real Empi Riverside 500

Mike H.

Sven was right.
richie

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2007, 12:10:17 pm »

The SMILE it puts on my face when I am behind the wheel Grin 
its all about having fun,cheers richie,uk

Cars are supposed to be driven, not just talked about!!!   

Good parts might be expensive but good advice is priceless Wink
ESH

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2007, 13:06:03 pm »

...its no longer the bits, but the history I have with the car.  It 13 years this summer...

I think that's common among a lot of people I know, I don't have 13 years with mine but it's still the times I've had with it that make it what it is to me. With the $$$ as it is for us over here it would be easier to buy a great car from your side of the pond than tidy mine up but at some point soon I'm going to have to rip it apart and get everything sorted because it's gone beyond the point when I can part with it.

Smiley
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2007, 13:10:29 pm »

The SMILE it puts on my face when I am behind the wheel Grin 
its all about having fun,cheers richie,uk

Isn't that the truth. For me its the simplicity and primitiveness of the car. I work in the virtual world all day. For me working or driving the VW is somethinig I can do with my hands by feel and sound without complicated algorithms or too much head work. Get in, drive, feel the vibration from the engine and tires rolling down the road. The sound of the engine and tranny as you row through the gears. Feeling the wind in your face from the open windows. Feeling a part of trip instead of just a passenger along for the ride. It is my form of therapy.

I dont enjoy working on her as much as I used to and I can see that someday I will get my fill of going fast and breaking parts.  Maybe then I will do a restoration to a "true" cal-look car.

I think everyone goes through the baddest car in the valley phase. In the end I think a good running car you can drive anywhere is the most fun. Just hope you kept that package shelf and your IDAs.  Cheesy

--louis

Louis Brooks

The Beatings Will Continue Until Moral Improves!
Mangokid

"Inhale the world", (in memory of MH)

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2007, 15:18:37 pm »

The best thing about my car is that it runs great on a combination of urine in the stinger and pump-gas on the tank... My pre-race ritual of pissing in the stinger has brougt my looker to greater heights than I'd ever imagine. You should all try it sometime.

To really know the edge and what lies beyond, one must have passed it.
Cornpanzer

« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2007, 15:55:17 pm »

Dave's car has always sat just right.  Its just one of those cars...

Thnaks Mike,
That steering wheel is cool.  It appears to be a 400mm 911 wheel with the optional hub extention and a 912 horn button. The 912 button is hard to find and desirable because this is what Porsche used on the ST and RSR racing cars of the early 70s.  (lightweingt) Even in the Porsche world, the 911 wheel with hub extention is $300 and the 912 horn button is $3-400

'67 Turbo Sedan
Ultra VW Contributor
Harry/FDK

Every Rule Was Made To Break, Even Callook...

« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2007, 17:06:18 pm »

Best Things about our cars??? You have to work and feel to drive, you actually engage every gear, you concentrate on traffic way ahead and work the brakes, you actually steering with your body, every cylinder beat gets noticed. Nothing compares to the modern Crap produced today. I love it all and it gives me a natural high when i park it and hear it making its go-to-sleep-again sounds.

Done ? Not Yet.
javabug

« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2007, 22:14:08 pm »

Thnaks Mike,

No prob Dave.  Altho I prefer the IDA/Americans version of the car, I got a chance to see it out at Indy last year and it looks awesome.  The rumble from the turbo dump didn't hurt at all! 

Sent you a PM on the wheel info, also...

Mike H.

Sven was right.
Rocket-Racing

« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2007, 00:22:09 am »

Best Things about our cars??? You have to work and feel to drive, you actually engage every gear, you concentrate on traffic way ahead and work the brakes, you actually steering with your body, every cylinder beat gets noticed. Nothing compares to the modern Crap produced today. I love it all and it gives me a natural high when i park it and hear it making its go-to-sleep-again sounds.

I totally agree! There is something about the mechanical feeling and "real" driving experience. And not to mention the simplicity of the beetle and how well it works.

As an example I drove about 1000 km's in a weekend with my oval some weeks ago. Ok, so I only had the speedometer to read. So what? I don't even need that, I know how fast I'm going by the rpms.. It was hot. Ok, so we flip the went windows around. The whole trip was a blast, feeling alive all the way.
The monday after I had to travel about the same distance at work in our almost new Chevrolet Astro. You get in, set the cruise control, AC on, armrests down and (yawn..) go along for the ride.. The damn thing even shifts itself, no Hurst shifter making that click-clack noise.

Not saying modern cars don't have their advantages sometimes, but I LOVE MY OVAL! (To stay on-topic, the thing I like most about it is the wheels)
« Last Edit: July 09, 2007, 00:25:46 am by Rocket-Racing » Logged

SHINE CAN NEVER REPLACE ATTITUDE
The Ideaman

« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2007, 03:50:53 am »

Best part of this car are the friends I've made here in Fresno.  Daniel, Bryan, Ron and Rhino.   They have infiltrated most aspects of my life.  There are few days when I don't speak to one or all or them.  Fresno's Flat Four! Gonna have to have some shirts made up.

It is the soldier,
Who salutes the flag,
Who serves beneath the flag,
And whose coffin is draped in the flag,
Who allows the protestor to burn the flag.
Shubee2 (DSK)

"There's No School Like OLD SCHOOL"

« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2007, 14:40:30 pm »

Best part of this car are the friends I've made here in Fresno.  Daniel, Bryan, Ron and Rhino.   They have infiltrated most aspects of my life.  There are few days when I don't speak to one or all or them.  Fresno's Flat Four! Gonna have to have some shirts made up.
Thats Five Luke?? Daniel, Bryan, Ron, Rhino and Luke.  Fresno's Flat Five!! Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

Der Selten Kafers VW Club.
Founding Member Est: 1976

58 Ragtop Old School Cal Look
66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
The Ideaman

« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2007, 14:42:23 pm »

I knew that, but Rhino is a part-timer.

It is the soldier,
Who salutes the flag,
Shubee2 (DSK)

« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2007, 14:44:14 pm »

I knew that, but Rhino is a part-timer.
LMAO he only gets half a shirt

66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
The Ideaman

« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2007, 15:33:35 pm »

A halter top  Wink

It is the soldier,
Who salutes the flag,
Shubee2 (DSK)

« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2007, 15:55:56 pm »

A halter top  Wink
LMAO Grin Grin Grin

66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
Luftkraft

You know Gil Gonzales?

« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2007, 08:03:21 am »

The best thing about my car is that everything works! This might not sound special, but all of my previous cars had some functions that didn't do what they should do. Just small things like non functional wipers etc. Things that are always at the bottom of your "to do" list. Now I really enjoy to drive my car, rain or shine, and it works like the factory intended it to work.

LUFTKRAFT Hopped-Up Vee Dubs since 1998
LOWTECH Traditional Hot Rods and Customs Online

...because stock sucks.
TomR

« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2007, 08:43:45 am »

It was built as a cal-look in 1982  Grin

"The devil is in the details"
stealth67vw

« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2007, 10:37:05 am »

The best part about my car is I drive that sumbitch ever damn day, rain or shine, 10F degrees or 110F degrees, 4AM Monday morning or 10 PM Saturday night. I really don't give a flying F@%K if it fits in what some of you call "Cal Look" because it's mine and I only have to impress myself.

John Bates
JB Machining Services
1967 street bug 2020lbs w/driver
12.34 @ 108 mph 1/4
7.76 @ 89mph 1/8
Lee.C

I might be an Idiot but I'm not an Arsehole!

« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2007, 15:50:59 pm »

Oh yeah I almost forgot - I can also jump it 2 feet in the air and still drive home  Wink Smiley

You either "Get It" or you don't......
TomR

« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2007, 17:09:10 pm »

I guess you dont know me  Cheesy - but have you seen the car i have - its not typical A4 look alike - and i dont have it to impress ANYONE Wink

The best part about my car is I drive that sumbitch ever damn day, rain or shine, 10F degrees or 110F degrees, 4AM Monday morning or 10 PM Saturday night. I really don't give a flying F@%K if it fits in what some of you call "Cal Look" because it's mine and I only have to impress myself.

"The devil is in the details"
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: