The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 05, 2024, 10:38:23 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
351094 Posts in 28640 Topics by 6846 Members
Latest Member: JamesBoyd
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Brakes - ideas for 5x205 to 5x130 porsche (help needed)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Brakes - ideas for 5x205 to 5x130 porsche (help needed)  (Read 3427 times)
Black_65

Life's too short, so drop a bomb on it....

« on: April 07, 2013, 21:34:44 pm »

Hi Guy's,

Has anyone ever done 'wide 5' to 'porsche 5x130' conversions on empi wide 5 front discs and vw wide 5 rear drums?

I have a set of fooses to put on my strip/street bug and had the idea of getting the 'cone' shape milled flat and have the stud patten drilled.

Like it say's above, has anyone ever done this? or any pointers would be very helpful! I don't want to use adapters as im not sure if they are safe for racing and road use??? if they are then any makes you think are good to use, then please do list them  Grin

Thanks,

Clarkey VWSP65   Grin

'Never Forgotten' O/FF 456 10.49 @ 125.5 MPH

A tribute car to the fallen - raising money for 'support our paras' charity.
https://www.facebook.com/Calibre65RaceTeam/
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2013, 00:23:03 am »

No can do on the rear drums, they must be replaced with 4 lug drums and redrilled.

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Fiatdude

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2013, 04:33:26 am »

I needed a brake update so I bought all new stuff with the porsche pattern --- if I had to do it again I'd probably go chevy pattern

Fiat -- GONE
Ovalholio -- GONE
Ghia -- -- It's going

Get lost for an evening or two -- http://selvedgeyard.com/

Remember, as you travel the highway of life,
For every mile of road, there is 2 miles of ditch
axam48ida

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2013, 04:58:59 am »

Doesn't CSP still offer new porsche pattern drums?

old bugs never die, they just get faster!!!
benssp

www.callookvw.com

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2013, 13:05:52 pm »

Link pin or ball joint?

www.vwheritage.com  My Job
www.bernardnewbury.co.uk My Team
any work related enquiries to ben@vwheritage.com PM's about work will not be answered Cheesy

Bitburg Motor Boat Club Founder Member

YMCA
Black_65

Life's too short, so drop a bomb on it....

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2013, 19:35:14 pm »

1965 bug on king & link pin beam

'Never Forgotten' O/FF 456 10.49 @ 125.5 MPH

A tribute car to the fallen - raising money for 'support our paras' charity.
https://www.facebook.com/Calibre65RaceTeam/
benssp

www.callookvw.com

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2013, 22:37:36 pm »

I'd sell what you've got and start a fresh, dropped spindles, Porsche discs & drums Grin

It should sell quickly & you'll probably come out even

www.vwheritage.com  My Job
www.bernardnewbury.co.uk My Team
any work related enquiries to ben@vwheritage.com PM's about work will not be answered Cheesy

Bitburg Motor Boat Club Founder Member

YMCA
hotrodsurplus

It's not how fast you go; it's how you go fast.

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2013, 06:00:35 am »

Can't vouch for the front but the rears should be easy even with short axles. Buy a set of Porsche-pattern drums or have a set of four-lug drums redrilled. Back in the bad old days we drove the studs out of a Porsche adapter and used it as a drill guide to poke new holes in drums. Spot facing the backside for studs is another story. We had a friendly machine shop do that for a sixer of yellow water.

Four-lug drums accommodate wider rear brakes so take advantage of that by getting some matching backing plates and hardware. You'll feel the difference.

Four-lug drums fit an axle with a broach length approximately 5/8-inch longer than a short axle's broach length. You'll have to make up the difference with a spacer between the drum and castle nut. The bearing spacer on a swingaxle car is 15.4mm/.607", or .018" shorter than 5/8. Just orient the chamfered side to the drum. It's been close to 20 years since I done that so I might have missed something.

You have Foose wheels with a Porsche pattern? That's a weirdo setup. If you have to buy wheels then do as fiatdude recommended. But I'd say to go Ford/Chrysler 4.5 pattern. Wheel availability is far better than in GM-only 4.75 land.

Chris Shelton. Professional liar.
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2013, 06:34:16 am »

Pretty sure he meant Fuchs...

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
56BLITZ
DKK

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2013, 07:31:38 am »

I'd sell what you've got and start a fresh, dropped spindles, Porsche discs & drums Grin
It should sell quickly & you'll probably come out even
Probably correct . . . list the "empi wide 5 front discs " for sale someplace and get a disc set with the Porsche pattern. There is a set that will bolt on to your stock spindles.

Four-lug drums fit an axle with a broach length approximately 5/8-inch longer than a short axle's broach length. You'll have to make up the difference with a spacer between the drum and castle nut. It's been close to 20 years since I done that so I might have missed something.
Unless I'm wrong, the spacer would be required in the opposite case . . . early, wide-five drum on a late, long-spline axle.
new drums are available with the porsche pattern. When I purchased my new drums, I had to pay $10/drum to have the hubs turned down to fit the short splines.

Jesucristo es mi Seņor y Salvador!
hotrodsurplus

It's not how fast you go; it's how you go fast.

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2013, 15:58:21 pm »

Four-lug drums fit an axle with a broach length approximately 5/8-inch longer than a short axle's broach length. You'll have to make up the difference with a spacer between the drum and castle nut. It's been close to 20 years since I done that so I might have missed something.
Unless I'm wrong, the spacer would be required in the opposite case . . . early, wide-five drum on a late, long-spline axle.
new drums are available with the porsche pattern. When I purchased my new drums, I had to pay $10/drum to have the hubs turned down to fit the short splines.

Yeah, disregard my post. I drank a bunch of cough syrup just before I wrote that.  Embarrassed

Chris Shelton. Professional liar.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: