The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 21, 2024, 06:34:05 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350841 Posts in 28603 Topics by 6826 Members
Latest Member: Kona@2528
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Small Motors
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Small Motors  (Read 4997 times)
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« on: July 11, 2007, 15:32:06 pm »

Jim's little single port really has me intrigued. It has got me to wondering about a motor under 2 liters. If you were going to build a mouse motor what would you build? Would you go bigger bore or bigger stroke and why? Cam choice? How about heads? Would it be possible to build a small motor that would get a bug into say the 14s and still have it streetable? What were some of the popular combos from back in the day? Just post what ever your thoughts are on the subject.

--louis

Louis Brooks

The Beatings Will Continue Until Moral Improves!
lowfastbus

WUNDERWAFFE

« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2007, 15:45:07 pm »

I really like the 74 * 85.5mm combo or the 74 * 88mm...
The way they were build in the 70ies, with an engle 125 or something like that and a pair of oldschool carbs (I like the solex 40PII or the classic IDA)

I'm sure you'll get a well prepared bug in the 14secs with such a combo.

My something bigger motor is a 74 * 94 and it got me in the mid thirteens sofar...
I'm a real big fan of welded 74mm cranks, strong as a original one and easy to  clearance the case.

http://dragvws.skynetblogs.be
WUNDERWAFFE
The Knuckle Buster
Shubee2 (DSK)

"There's No School Like OLD SCHOOL"

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2007, 15:54:28 pm »

Jim's little single port really has me intrigued. It has got me to wondering about a motor under 2 liters. If you were going to build a mouse motor what would you build? Would you go bigger bore or bigger stroke and why? Cam choice? How about heads? Would it be possible to build a small motor that would get a bug into say the 14s and still have it streetable? What were some of the popular combos from back in the day? Just post what ever your thoughts are on the subject.

--louis
Hello Louis You Dont Have To have the Biggest  To Go Fast  I had a 78x90.5 in one of my 67's  engle 140 cam, 9.5 compression 48 Ida's mild ported 40x35.5 heads dual Valve Springs Trans was a 4:12 R&P with a 1:48 3rd and a 1:04 Forth it ran 13:20's and I could drive it anywhere very streetable  did not run hot the 67 is was in was a steel full body full interior car about 1800 lbs  Xlnt Combo in my Opinion!! 

Der Selten Kafers VW Club.
Founding Member Est: 1976

58 Ragtop Old School Cal Look
66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
The Ideaman

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2007, 16:26:12 pm »

My thoughts are why try to rethink the world. 

A 1914 with a set of Tims heads will run 13's in a full weight car without too much trouble.  Zach's buddy is doing it in Phoenix with this car, after a drive from Prescott.  Should be easy to build, too.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2007, 16:51:34 pm by The Ideaman » Logged

It is the soldier,
Who salutes the flag,
Who serves beneath the flag,
And whose coffin is draped in the flag,
Who allows the protestor to burn the flag.
ESH

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2007, 17:02:38 pm »

This is a 'driven to the track' car ( see http://cal-look.no/lounge/index.php?topic=2035.0) and is punching out mid 12's on a 1776cc mill.

louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2007, 01:25:32 am »

I happen to know where a SR2 is that engine would be perfect for.  Grin

Really though, the only problems with building a small motor is that the cost is pretty much the same as a larger motor. (Unless you have the parts laying around.) Maybe once HVWs gets done with this millage motor they can pull it apart and see what it could really do.

--louis

Louis Brooks

lawrence

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2007, 01:54:01 am »

I built a 94x69 motor for my car with my father. This was our first build, so we took the advice of some friends that said it is JUST like building a 1600, very simple. The deck height came out to .060 when we assembled the motor and that gave us a CR of 8.3:1, which was close to what I planned on running. I chose 40x35.5 valves and a nice d-port because this motor is for a street car. I was told the webcam 86b would work great with this motor and the head porter agreed. Of course, the motor is topped with a set of 48s.

It runs awesome and it didn't cost a ton of money. The heads and carbs were the most expensive items, while everything else is good quality, off the shelf parts. I haven't taken it to the track yet, but I would be very happy with a mid 13 timeslip. Yeah, mouse motors are cool!!!

"Happiness is a Hot VW!"
christophe

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2007, 12:21:13 pm »

My thoughts are why try to rethink the world. 

A 1914 with a set of Tims heads will run 13's in a full weight car without too much trouble.  Zach's buddy is doing it in Phoenix with this car, after a drive from Prescott.  Should be easy to build, too.

Hello.
Do you have more information about this motor?
The Ideaman

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2007, 14:53:30 pm »

Steve Tim's stage 2 heads, fk8 cam, and the rest Zach will have to tell you about as I don't know.

It is the soldier,
Who salutes the flag,
Who serves beneath the flag,
And whose coffin is draped in the flag,
Who allows the protestor to burn the flag.
Lee.C

I might be an Idiot but I'm not an Arsehole!

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2007, 15:48:09 pm »

Just wondering what 88's you can buys these days and are they any good Huh Huh Huh

I might build a "mouse motor" for the Manx for next year - I already have the D port 40x37.5 heads, Match ported manifolds, berg cromoly push rods, an original VW case and a lovely set of IDA's  Smiley Smiley Smiley

« Last Edit: July 12, 2007, 15:59:25 pm by monkiboy » Logged

You either "Get It" or you don't......
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2007, 16:32:12 pm »

CB Performance has them, but you can probably find a source on the other side of the pond. Any good speed shop should be able to get them.

--louis

Louis Brooks

Lee.C

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2007, 16:36:51 pm »

I just want to make sure that these aren't the Crappy bored out 87's  Smiley do you need to machine the case for the CB items  Huh

louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2007, 16:38:38 pm »

They have both, and yeah don't get the slip ins. I thought thier price of $190 something was a bit high though. you might be able to find them elsewhere cheaper.

--louis

Louis Brooks

Lee.C

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2007, 16:40:21 pm »

COOL I was hoping I would still be able to get these - Mouse motor here we come  Smiley

christophe

« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2007, 19:54:47 pm »

Steve Tim's stage 2 heads, fk8 cam, and the rest Zach will have to tell you about as I don't know.

Ok thanks.
Just hope that Zach will see that post Smiley
rebel

« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2007, 12:08:26 pm »

I've got a 94x69 with VW doubleports 40x37.5 and a scat C35 cam plus a 1 5/8 merged and a 'quiet' and a Mallory dist.
Stock rods failed during the brake-in period. (couldn't resist to floor it Smiley )
The new version with Scat I-beams and full flow @ big oil pump and CB rotary is almost finished though.
The carbs are 40 DRLA unfortunately, cause IDAs are still too expensive for me. Besides I don't expect to turn it further than 6-6.5K rpms, so I couldn't use the full advantage of the IDA.

Didn't hava a chance to race it though... Wonder what kind of ETs will it make in my '71 super.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: