The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 06, 2024, 05:33:08 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350885 Posts in 28608 Topics by 6828 Members
Latest Member: GSW Racing
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Simpson harness
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Simpson harness  (Read 5538 times)
VWGlassee

« on: February 06, 2014, 15:46:14 pm »

I would like to buy a Simpson Harness but because I don't have a rollbar mounted I need to go with a harness to mount on the floor.
Does anyone here has a Simpson harness which is mounted on the floor? If so, can you post pictures of it? I want to know where it is mounted on the floor.

Thanks a lot!  Wink

Get In, Sit Down, Shut Up, & Hold On
leec

« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2014, 16:20:47 pm »

I have a pair mounted in my 63 with no roll bar. I bought the Simpson harness with the longer length shoulder straps and the attach to the body shell via a custom made bracket between the bottom and top rear seat pieces.

If you mount the shoulder straps to the floor pans the angle is too severe for what the fitting instructions recomend.

I do have a link to how I fitted them, trying to find it now
Lee
VWGlassee

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2014, 16:48:38 pm »

I have a pair mounted in my 63 with no roll bar. I bought the Simpson harness with the longer length shoulder straps and the attach to the body shell via a custom made bracket between the bottom and top rear seat pieces.

If you mount the shoulder straps to the floor pans the angle is too severe for what the fitting instructions recomend.

I do have a link to how I fitted them, trying to find it now
Lee

Lee,
Thanks for your reaction!
I think you have these then: http://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/sim-29061bk/overview/
Is that correct?

Looking forward to see the link Wink

leec

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2014, 19:15:25 pm »

Here's the link

http://www.volkszone.co.uk/VZi/showthread.php?t=207550

The brackets I show in the pics on page 2 had spreader plates in the other side of the body and floor pan also.
Lee
chez2165

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2014, 22:29:50 pm »

Can you remember what length the shoulder straps were on the harnesses.
leec

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2014, 22:47:54 pm »

I can't, sorry. It was years ago. Will measure next time I am with car
Lee
VWGlassee

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2014, 23:17:07 pm »

Can you remember what length the shoulder straps were on the harnesses.

I guess they are 62inch. These are the longest ones I could find. The shorter version is about 55inch.

VWGlassee

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2014, 23:17:38 pm »

Here's the link

http://www.volkszone.co.uk/VZi/showthread.php?t=207550

The brackets I show in the pics on page 2 had spreader plates in the other side of the body and floor pan also.
Lee

Thanks Leec!  Cool

Jason Foster

7.69 87mph 12.35 106 mph

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2014, 18:07:25 pm »

Mounting the shoulder belts to the floor is a bad idea. The shoulder strap anchor point should be 4 inches below your shoulder to prevent spinal compression on impact.

STRENGTH THROUGH JOY...........

Der Kleiner Panzers
leec

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2014, 21:51:36 pm »

Mounting the shoulder belts to the floor is a bad idea. The shoulder strap anchor point should be 4 inches below your shoulder to prevent spinal compression on impact.

Is that aimed at my method of install? Simpson recomend that the harness be installed 0-10 degrees below the shoulder height.

Lee
« Last Edit: February 08, 2014, 21:54:46 pm by leec » Logged
Jason Foster

7.69 87mph 12.35 106 mph

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2014, 06:35:10 am »

That's just aimed at people being safe.  The degree of angle from 0-10 has nothing to do with height below the shoulder. From what I know and have heard proper mounting would be 4 inches below shoulder if mounted lower could cause spinal compression.       (I'm not trying to attack anyone)

STRENGTH THROUGH JOY...........

Der Kleiner Panzers
leec

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2014, 08:30:01 am »

It has everything to do with the height of your shoulder Smiley You sit in the seat and put the harness straps over your shoulders. As the shoulder straps go behind you sat in the seat the point in which you fix the shoulder straps to the car must not allow the angle of the staps to be outside the 0 to 10 degree recomendation. Depending on strap length that 10 defree angle may tesult im the anchor point being 4 inchs below the shoulder height. There is a good diagram on google images from Simpson instructions.

Me showing the fitting of the harness was just a guide to show others how I got round fitting them without a roll cage and the bracket construction.

Lee
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 08:36:58 am by leec » Logged
JS

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2014, 11:48:17 am »

That's just aimed at people being safe.  The degree of angle from 0-10 has nothing to do with height below the shoulder. From what I know and have heard proper mounting would be 4 inches below shoulder if mounted lower could cause spinal compression.       (I'm not trying to attack anyone)

Very important, and often neglected subject.
4 inches below the shoulder can be good, but that would depend on the length of the strap from the shoulder to the mounting point, IMHO.

http://simpsonraceproducts.com/pdf/inst/Seat_Belt_Mounting.pdf

Signature.
leec

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2014, 12:59:52 pm »

Very important, and often neglected subject.
4 inches below the shoulder can be good, but that would depend on the length of the strap from the shoulder to the mounting point, IMHO.

http://simpsonraceproducts.com/pdf/inst/Seat_Belt_Mounting.pdf

Exactly Grin

mg

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2014, 17:54:53 pm »

Fwiw if you are adding a shoulder harness why not consider a sub belt too?
Get the entire belt system.

The correct way to tighten belts is...
Lap belt
sub belt
shoulder belts.

If you don't have a sub belt (5th point) when you tighten your shoulder harness it will pull your lap belt up.
Chances are good in a crash with your lap belt pulled up by the shoulder harness your body will slide under your lap belt.
The sub belt locates the lap belt so you can keep the shoulder harness tight.
fyi a good 5th point sub belt requires a good seat with a hole in the seat between your legs for the sub belt.

I've had the 6 point belts that you sit on that don't require the hole in the seat, they are a pia stick with a 5 point.

leec

« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2014, 17:59:28 pm »

Definately agree with that. I do have the 5th 'ball bag' belt fitted and it does keep the harness better placed when tightening the shoulder straps

Lee
JS

« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2014, 20:44:53 pm »

I would not race my car without a sub belt for sure.
As for the sequence, I have the sub and lap belt "pre tightened" and only tighten the shoulder straps before each run.
Never tried a 6-point system though. Is there a major advantage to it as opposed to 5-point?

Signature.
mg

« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2014, 17:04:04 pm »

Never tried a 6-point system though. Is there a major advantage to it as opposed to 5-point?
The only advantage with a 6 point belt is there would be no sub belt hole required in your seat base.

6 point sub belts attach without having a seperate sub belt mount under the seat base.
With a 6 point the 2 sub belts attach to the same mounting bolts as the lap belts.
The 2 sub belts then enter the seat in the same seat side holes as the lap belts.
The disadvantage would be that the driver sits on the 2 sub belts and pulls them up into the standard lap belt. 

I'd rather have a simple 5 point easy to reach single sub belt instead of sitting on the 2 sub belt system.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: