The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 16:16:06 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350685 Posts in 28576 Topics by 6820 Members
Latest Member: chicochemxli
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Cal Look at Volksworld
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Cal Look at Volksworld  (Read 29513 times)
Russell

« on: March 29, 2015, 23:39:58 pm »

So just returned home from Volksworld 2015, and thankfully DFL turned up with some very hot cal look cars, very tickled with the Yukon yellow sedan... Excellent effort guys. much appreciated, thanks.

I had hoped for more cal look inside and apart from Dirks Red car and Ricky's Black 67 there wasn't much more in our favourite style, I realise the BOS winner was a cal look style car but to be honest I didn't notice it, again too many cars crushed together at the entrance.

A special mentioned to Volksworld's Steve's blue resto cal car, very nice indeed. Well done.

Ron Flemings Cal Look Talk today was both exciting and excellent and as only Ron can tell it like he does. He did have a full house for his talk which was nice, a little disappointed he got rushed off  at the end as the next talk was due to start, with only 5 people in attendance....

The Karman Ghia museum display was very cool also.

If anyone has any pictures, stick up here please.

PS, Is the JG54 Green Hearts club still on the go as I had expected so see a line up from them also ? or did I miss it Huh

Anyway nice weekend catching up with friends.

Best Regards

Russell
RichardinNZ

« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2015, 04:48:44 am »

Yes photos would be great!  I missed Alex Defcon3 Taylor when I was 'home' recently but he'd told me he was working on finishing a Cal Looker for the show? Anyone have any photos of it?

Richard, Auckland, New Zealand

'58 Bug; NZ assembled
Dual Carb 36hp
stretch

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2015, 07:54:42 am »

Shame you missed Dude's Best of Show winning car it is amazing !!!  I'm slightly biased because I have seen this car evolve / built over the last 10 years (approx?  Dude?), but, I can say it was definitely the car of the show for me.

We had a great time yesterday & thoroughly enjoyed the day.  I agree Ron's talk was great.

Once again congrats Dude, great to see a cal look car win the biggest prize at the show.
Rocket Ron

It's old school for a reason

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2015, 10:29:41 am »

We were talking about this on the way home on Saturday and we agree that for the 40th anniversary of cal look they didn't seem to have a real focal point for cal look cars. Surely they should have been displayed in the area as you walked in. The DFL have to be thanked for making the trip with their cars and Neil's best of show was stunning.

We were delighted to see a good number of newly built beetles being shown which have been thin in the ground of late. Had a long chat with Ricky with his black 67 which has been one of my all time favourite cars, is it really 20 years since it appeared on volksworld, wow I feel old.

Have to say the cut away 47 bug display was super cool and the show had a nice vibe about it this year. Unfortunately we missed Rons talk but nice to see £1000 being raised for the brads cancer charity when they auctioned off the cutaway engine on Saturday afternoon.

13.12 @ 101.84

Grooving out on life

You can't polish a turd but you can roll it in glitter
Neil Davies

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2015, 12:14:21 pm »

Russell raised a good point - the worst thing about Dude's car was the position it was in in the hall. It should have been on a turntable in the middle of the cal look display! Some of the cars downstairs were crammed in too - Matt Dolby's Mexi bug race car was in a dreadful spot where you couldn't see most of the car, and the Pro Turbo style Notch was just tucked up a corner.

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
vwhelmot

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2015, 13:11:31 pm »

Agreed, why that pro Notch was stuffed into a corner downstairs was a complete mistake. That car had so many detail touches it needed to be upstairs at least. Also agree why they have to stuff so much in to the entrance hall, the show cars (which is what the people pay to come to see) were crammed into a small space and then there was a load of room taken up in on the left as you walked in by a bloody couple of T5 campers??  The cut out split bug was pretty much on its own, could that area not be used for more of your companies selling modern camper stuff and that leaves the main halls for the real show cars?     I haven't been for ten years and felt it was lacking to be honest, but that just maybe me.
Deanodynosaurs

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2015, 14:43:09 pm »

Was Dirks car the red 67 ragtop on genuine BRM's? I absolutely loved that car, it was just right in every way. Smiley

Agree with what Neil said, Matt Dolby's car is stunning but the way it was shown downstairs really didn't show it off great. Saying that i think the best picture we will see of that car is at the track at speed! Smiley

Volksworld Steve Blue resto cal car was amazing also, the attention to detail on the car was to a level and beyond!. The detail in the engine bay was phenomenal. Smiley

Dude  Cool

Prowagen

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2015, 17:14:44 pm »

Congrat Dude on the BoS win, well deserved, I know that 58 has been a labour of love!

Would also love to see some links to pics or pics in this thread as Volksworld used to be one of my fav's when in the UK.

Rob.
beetletom

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2015, 17:56:10 pm »

Yes photos would be great!  I missed Alex Defcon3 Taylor when I was 'home' recently but he'd told me he was working on finishing a Cal Looker for the show? Anyone have any photos of it?

spoke to his brother, he said he didn't go in the end.
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2015, 18:47:04 pm »

Was Dirks car the red 67 ragtop on genuine BRM's? I absolutely loved that car, it was just right in every way. Smiley

Agree with what Neil said, Matt Dolby's car is stunning but the way it was shown downstairs really didn't show it off great. Saying that i think the best picture we will see of that car is at the track at speed! Smiley

Volksworld Steve Blue resto cal car was amazing also, the attention to detail on the car was to a level and beyond!. The detail in the engine bay was phenomenal. Smiley

Dude  Cool

NO  DIRK IS A MEMBER OF DFL , AND HAVE A SEPIA BROWN 67 ? KURT IS THE OWNER OF THE RED RAGTOP 67

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
jick

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2015, 21:56:59 pm »

Good points well made Russell,

Here are my thoughts..... I haven't been to the Volksworld show for 2 or 3 years...but I was kinda underwhelmed...Not criticising the workmanship/quality/detailing on pretty much every car on display, some great cars! but the venue/layout etc for me needs serious reconsideration..,
I know it's been said many times before, but maybe because it's a valid concern.... Surely the show has outgrown the venue?
It's crowded...(ok, harsh criticism maybe) but dark displays and cars crammed together doesn't do the cars/owners justice
I know we plough a narrow furrow with our niche interest but the 40 years of Cal-look display was just not good enough..... I know there are some well connected people on here who are in the know,  but for the rest of us.... Well, I can't help but feel, seeing as this is the only/best Cal -Look centric website  in the world that a few posts/requests on here for cars/memorabilia etc to display would have yielded some results??
I can't believe no- one promoted it on here??

I feel loathed to criticise because I know all involved must work incredibly hard to make it all come together but I just think the focus is lacking...I dunno..,maybe we are the dinosaurs here...no-one else really gives a damn about our angle....I've always regarded the Cal-Look as the punk- rock  side of the VW world..... So maybe it should worry us more if the masses understood what we are doing?
Anyway.... Enough wine fuelled rambling...highlights for me,...catching up with some like minded people,
Dudes car/Ricky riyats old 67/the candy purple painted car....the DFL display.
Ah.... To hell with you all...I'm just going to paint "cool Flo" on my scruffy bus and be done with it.

vwhelmot

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2015, 22:17:17 pm »

I did get to meet Ron Fleming. Had a chat with him on Friday when it was quiet. What a top bloke!    Dudes looker is a lovely car, it looks so right and Ron agreed.
dannyboy

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2015, 22:19:58 pm »

in my mind the best way to support cal look is to attend events like ,uk cal look dragday, with a cal looker and get on the track or add it to the show and shine if your scared to break it.after all unless im mistaken isnt that what it was all about in the first place?  Smiley

8.77@156.8mph 
O/FF 60
jick

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2015, 22:34:04 pm »

in my mind the best way to support cal look is to attend events like ,uk cal look dragday, with a cal looker and get on the track or add it to the show and shine if your scared to break it.after all unless im mistaken isnt that what it was all about in the first place?  Smiley

You're quite right!  And with an unfinished car in the garage I'm skating on thin ice...
But Volksworld is a static event, the show season opener, and so as a chance to showcase OUR side of things, and maybe get more/new people enthused about it... Well, I feel it was an opportunity wasted.

Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2015, 23:20:42 pm »

as a chance to showcase OUR side of things, and maybe get more/new people enthused about it... Well, I feel it was an opportunity wasted.

The last thing I ever wanted was for it to become mainstream.

Which it is rapidly in danger of becoming...
« Last Edit: March 30, 2015, 23:30:54 pm by Fastbrit » Logged

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
Russell

« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2015, 00:12:17 am »

Hey dude well fine on the best of show, I remember quite a few years back when my 63 cal look square panel van was at the show, it was almost in the same place as yours and after the first day of prams, kids, hands, knocked over barriers I had to stay away, the entrance is always crowded which is a real pity.

Having reflected on weekend, this is the first year I haven't had an exhibiters pass, hence didn't get s chance to google the cars without the crowds, maybe that was my fault !

And sorry I did mean kurt !!!'😄

Best Regards

Russell
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2015, 03:50:27 am »

Enough bullshitting! I want to see pictures!!

Grin

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Lids

show me the chedder

« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2015, 09:35:27 am »

zach here is a link to some pics (not mine)

http://s920.photobucket.com/user/bungle_bus/library/Volksworld%202015?sort=3&page=1

If there's enough horse shit around, there must be a pony!
Buy your ciderberry here.

http://www.thatcherscider.co.uk/
Deanodynosaurs

« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2015, 10:50:55 am »

Morning all,

Not gonna lie, i had a great Volksworld Show. Smiley It was great to be even accepted to take my car there (and to actually get it finished!), i was blown away to be put where i was, and to win a prize......well i'm still smiling like a loon. Russel, exactly the same as you, i was nervous anytime anyone went near it, and when some parent let there kids run around inside the barrier near it i nearly had a melt down!!  Cry Sorry, I really wanted to have a chat with you after Ron's talk on Sunday as well, but you were talking to someone and i never saw you again, sorry dude.

I did think there was actually less car there this year than previous years though, which i though was good as you could actually see the cars better. I know it was 40 years of cal look, and it would have been nice if all the cal look cars had been more prominent (especially Kurt's as i thought it just typified what cal look was about, and it is a stunning car). I do however get why the organizer set it out as they did. As much as were all die hard cal look fans, the majority of people that walk through the door just want to see shiney cars, camper vans, and probably have little knowledge of the cal look. As Keith says, lets keep the cal look thing on the downlow, they can have Cool Flow and Rothfink!!  Grin

As for my car, so happy to have won a prize for it, but it wasnt about that, it was about building a car ive wanted to build for the last 7 years, and it going to the track as soon as possiable. Smiley

Dude  Cool

Bernard Newbury

9.50 @ 141 MPH

« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2015, 11:02:50 am »

Good points well made Russell,

Here are my thoughts..... I haven't been to the Volksworld show for 2 or 3 years...but I was kinda underwhelmed...Not criticising the workmanship/quality/detailing on pretty much every car on display, some great cars! but the venue/layout etc for me needs serious reconsideration..,
I know it's been said many times before, but maybe because it's a valid concern.... Surely the show has outgrown the venue?
It's crowded...(ok, harsh criticism maybe) but dark displays and cars crammed together doesn't do the cars/owners justice
I know we plough a narrow furrow with our niche interest but the 40 years of Cal-look display was just not good enough..... I know there are some well connected people on here who are in the know,  but for the rest of us.... Well, I can't help but feel, sheeing as this is the only/best Cal -Look centric website  in the world that a few posts/requests on here for cars/memorabilia etc to display would have yielded some results??
I can't believe no- one promoted it on here??

I feel loathed to criticise because I know all involved must work incredibly hard to make it all come together but I just think the focus is lacking...I dunno..,maybe we are the dinosaurs here...no-one else really gives a damn about our angle....I've always regarded the Cal-Look as the punk- rock  side of the VW world..... So maybe it should worry us more if the masses understood what we are doing?
Anyway.... Enough wine fuelled rambling...highlights for me,...catching up with some like minded people,
Dudes car/Ricky riyats old 67/the candy purple painted car....the DFL display.
Ah.... To hell with you all...I'm just going to paint "cool Flo" on my scruffy bus and be done with it.

jick has made many good points here and could relate back to another thread on here. I think the emphasis now is the life style rather than the cars and it is really reflected in this years Volksworld show even more.  40 years of Cal Look? Is that represented with 8 cars? I have to agree that the show has out grown the venue which is endorsed by the way they cram the cars in. I really believe that without the people that devote their time and money to build the cars the various organisers could not stage shows and I think that this is often overlooked.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 11:54:52 am by Bernard Newbury » Logged

Before you jump, check the depth.
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2015, 14:23:57 pm »

Thanks, didn't see Dude's car in those or did I miss it??

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
EddieT67

« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2015, 14:43:14 pm »

Comments like:

"Cal-look is kind of the punk-rock of the VW world"

"Im just gonna paint Cool Flo on my scruffy bus and be done with it"

"They can have Cool Flo and Rothfink"

make me proud to be a member of this here forum  - FINAALLLY some like minded folk!!

Breathes sigh of relief  Grin   

Was tempted to make the trek to see the 40 years of cal-look display but I think I'd be right in syaing that f thath was the only reason for going, I'd have flet cheated. am I right?

Prowagen

« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2015, 14:52:37 pm »

Officcial Volksworld photos here:
http://www.volksworld.com/the-volksworld-show/volksworld-show-photos/volksworld-show-2015-photos-32689

Some nice ones of your car Dude:

Who's car is this?
spoolin70

« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2015, 16:02:16 pm »

I don't know who owns the second car but from memory it was something to do with the turbo notch (same builder/garage etc).
Don't think it really qualified for cal-look, and it was in the cal-look area too.

As someone who has never had a car on display at the show (and never will), can I ask how are the positions decided ?
First come first served or all precisely layed out ?

Personally I really wanted to see more of the notch that was crammed in a corner downstairs. Could have easily have been rotating on a turntable IMO.

Maybe they could loose some of the modern campers that take up so much room on the grass (personally I have no interest in captain seats or gas hobbs  Wink)

EddieT67 - I think you would have felt cheated. If it wasn't for it being local to me and delivering parts, I wouldn't have bothered.

Bring on cal-look drag day !!!!

Flow

« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2015, 16:22:36 pm »

The second one is french, his name is Ben Lanthier and he works at Nostalgia Cars, Classic Vintage (you can find him and the shop on facebook). I don't know if he works alone or not but the shop is doing  a great job  Wink

spoolin70

« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2015, 16:25:02 pm »

And while it's on my mind, where were the greenhearts/outlaw flat four cars ? Certainly a lack of type 3's too.

I can only recall the windsplit for OFF which I would have liked to have seen the engine of. Nicely made catch tray btw.
Spent 10minutes trying to explain to an elderly gentleman and his wife why it had a parachute on the back.
Still don't think he believed me when I told him it can lift it's front wheels when it leaves the line  Cheesy

Prowagen

« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2015, 17:01:46 pm »

I would honestly say that almost half the cars in the Cal Look display didn't loo to be true cal look, but then maybe that was the point? More of a evolution of the style?
Lids

show me the chedder

« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2015, 18:31:15 pm »

I would honestly say that almost half the cars in the Cal Look display didn't loo to be true cal look, but then maybe that was the point? More of a evolution of the style?

Dunno, some would fit in the restowagen display outside and no one would bat an eyelid.

If there's enough horse shit around, there must be a pony!
Buy your ciderberry here.

http://www.thatcherscider.co.uk/
Tim C

« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2015, 19:34:54 pm »

Dunno, some would fit in the restowagen display outside and no one would bat an eyelid.

Let's hope the owners log on and read this insightful comment.

It seems that everyone is quick to judge a cars' Cal Look credentials without considering the huge amount of time, effort, money and commitment it must take to get a car to a show like VolksWorld.

JG54 Greenhearts
jick

« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2015, 19:45:34 pm »

"It seems that everyone is quick to judge a cars' Cal Look credentials without considering the huge amount of time, effort, money and commitment it must take to get a car to a show like VolksWorld."

Hmmm....I don't think that's a fair reflection on what's been posted at all??

Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: