The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 05, 2024, 07:36:17 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
351094 Posts in 28640 Topics by 6846 Members
Latest Member: JamesBoyd
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Here's one for the oldtimers
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Here's one for the oldtimers  (Read 5068 times)
Donny B.

« on: October 11, 2007, 23:17:16 pm »

In 1987 I went to SCS Showdown 7.  It was at that show I saw a car that really left an impression on me and I have no idea who's it was.  I remember it as a tan or sea sand color, but it had the first I had ever seen of a single turbo muffler much like those of today.  I remember it made a few passes up and down Ball Rd. and it had the deepest throatiest sound.  I had never heard anything like that until that day.  Later it was parked right in front of the SCS entrance.  Is there anyone out there that remembers that car or has any info on that car?  It sure impressed me at that time.  I was driving a stock 1600 in my '66 at that time and really wanted more after that day.

Don Bulitta
Wolfsburg Registry
Jim Ratto

« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2007, 23:21:38 pm »

In 1987 I went to SCS Showdown 7.  It was at that show I saw a car that really left an impression on me and I have no idea who's it was.  I remember it as a tan or sea sand color, but it had the first I had ever seen of a single turbo muffler much like those of today.  I remember it made a few passes up and down Ball Rd. and it had the deepest throatiest sound.  I had never heard anything like that until that day.  Later it was parked right in front of the SCS entrance.  Is there anyone out there that remembers that car or has any info on that car?  It sure impressed me at that time.  I was driving a stock 1600 in my '66 at that time and really wanted more after that day.

maybe that was Bill Schwimmer's oval? Did it have BRMs?
Bill Schwimmer
DKK

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2007, 23:53:42 pm »

It sounds like my 55 it was Porsche Kashmire beige, BRM's, turbo muffler etc.  If I remember correctly it was parked on the grass right in front of the store.

" don't buy upgrades    ride up grades"
    Eddy Merckx
Carlos De Alba

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2007, 23:57:21 pm »

Ratto,

good memory !!!!  Were you wearing a dress back then ?? Cheesy Cheesy

Der Kleiner Panzers
Carlos De Alba

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2007, 23:58:51 pm »

Bill,

That was an amazing car...... Cool

Der Kleiner Panzers
sheep

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2007, 00:12:45 am »

Ratto,

good memory !!!!  Were you wearing a dress back then ?? Cheesy Cheesy

hahahahaahahahaahhaa Grin

unless it has wheels,tits or fins I dont care
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2007, 00:38:27 am »

Do you have a pic of the car some where?

Thanks,

--louis

Louis Brooks

The Beatings Will Continue Until Moral Improves!
Donny B.

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2007, 00:58:40 am »

It sounds like my 55 it was Porsche Kashmire beige, BRM's, turbo muffler etc.  If I remember correctly it was parked on the grass right in front of the store.

That was it.  Bill give us some info on the car.  I'll be Ratto wasn't old enough to drive back then.....
« Last Edit: October 12, 2007, 01:00:41 am by Donny B. » Logged

Don Bulitta
Wolfsburg Registry
Jim Ratto

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2007, 02:52:10 am »

That was it.  Bill give us some info on the car.  I'll be Ratto wasn't old enough to drive back then.....

just started  Grin
Bill Schwimmer
DKK

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2007, 05:29:04 am »

Good memory Don ,That was over 20 yrs ago.. The motor was a 78.4x 90.5 Fumio 42x37.5 heads FK89 13:1. S&S 1 5/8 header with of course a muffler made by a young Tiger. Tranny was 4:86  3:55,2:06,1:58,1:14 . BRM's were from Mark Hunsaker's 66 featured in June 76 HVW's. Funny thing about the roll bar in it @ the time. I don't remember where it  came from but it was in Glen Gaskey's 54 vert  ( Fred Elliot's Bug In winning car), then it went into his 67 race car which became Pat Nelson's Pro Turbo car, then it went into Cary Taylor's race car  (pre Frameworks Pro Sedan),Then into my 55, And then into Dave Mason's Black 62 where it still is today. Funny how some of this stuff gets around. As for my Oval I detuned the motor a bit & drove it around . It was sold off to Japan in early 89. My friend Nao from Flat 4 has a pretty good idea where it is today. Thanks for bringing me back Don.     Bill

Eddy Merckx
Donny B.

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2007, 05:50:55 am »

Bill thanks for filling in the blanks. 

Don Bulitta
Wolfsburg Registry
Bewitched666

Bewitched

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2007, 07:23:22 am »

Hey nice to hear that i was part of that rollbar history as i bought Cary Taylors Prostocker if it was the same rollbar.
I later sold that car to some dude back in the states(had the car in curacao btw) and bought the ex Jaycee pro stocker which i still own. Grin

Fast vw beetle's rule
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2007, 09:26:32 am »

Also what's funny is that in 1988, on my first trip to SoCal, I happened to call by a cruise night at Fudrukker's (sp?) on the corner of Beach and Orangethorpe. There, in amongst all the V8 stuff was a solitary tan Oval with DKP decals and BRMs. Only some while later did I discover that it was Bill's. Small world.

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
Bill Schwimmer
DKK

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2007, 14:29:08 pm »

The roll bar was in Cary's 1st race car, he took it out & built a chrome moly cage, & then he crashed it @ Bakersfield right before the Pro sedan was completed.

Eddy Merckx
Bewitched666

Bewitched

« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2007, 14:52:31 pm »

Oh ok Bill,then i wasnt part of that rollbar history.

I bought the Pro sedan,the white one with the rainbow graphics on the side. Grin

Fast vw beetle's rule
Donny B.

« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2007, 02:25:01 am »

I didn't think of this until after I posted it and got replies.  I want to thank Bill.  In 1995 I finally got my car finished (sort of ...they are never done) and had it in the show at the Phoenix Bug-O-Rama.  Bill Schwimmer and Dave Mason stopped bye while I was sitting with my car.  We talked for a while and they provided some genuine insite about tuning the 42s.  Bill I want to thank you.  You and Dave made my day.  I have had my car for a long time, but that was the first time it was actually in a show and you and Dave were gracious enough to spend time with me.  Thanks!

Don Bulitta
Wolfsburg Registry
Stephan S

« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2007, 03:06:10 am »

Let's Play VWs ran a picture of Bill's Oval in their very first issue, back around 1987. I looked in my archives, and I don't have that issue. Who has it & who could scan it?
I might be wrong; but I think this is the only picture of Bill's Oval ever published.

Der Kleiner Panzers
lawrence

« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2007, 04:01:45 am »

Does anyone have any pictures of Bill's car? Bill what is the story behind the particular transaxle setup in your oval?

"Happiness is a Hot VW!"
Bill Schwimmer
DKK

« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2007, 05:23:16 am »

Your welcome Don, you have always been a pleasure to talk with. As for photos, I have some ,but no way to get them online. Let's Play VW's did run a photo from the 88 Showdown.Also there was a motor shot in a late 80's HVW's in a current trends article, it was a photo of the mag clamp. That Showdown was the 1st time Greg B , Dave M & myself went to a car show together with DKP decals in our windows.   As for the gearing , I had a little motor w/ lots of RPM & it really flew. If you look @ specs for the A/MC's & B/MC's back in the 70's & 80's it would be very similar.
  Do you remember the antique store in Orange  Keith  ?  now that was a chance encounter.

Eddy Merckx
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2007, 08:51:46 am »

Do you remember the antique store in Orange  Keith  ?  now that was a chance encounter.
I remember it well! To let the rest in on the story, I was due to take photos of the club (DKP, who else... Grin) for a magazine feature back in the early '90s when I walked into an antique shop in Orange with my then wife Gwynn. As we walked around the shop, there was this other couple looking at stuff, too. The guy had a T-shirt on which looked familiar: it was Bill in his DKP club shirt. Fell into conversation and he said that someone was taking photos of the club that afternoon, or the next day. Guess who? Of all the bars (OK, antique shops) in all the world, he had to walk into mine!  Cheesy Cheesy

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: