The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 01, 2024, 16:12:33 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350869 Posts in 28606 Topics by 6828 Members
Latest Member: GSW Racing
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  The Riverside Years
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: The Riverside Years  (Read 28250 times)
JS

« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2007, 07:35:11 am »

What kind of wheels are on the baywindow? Look a bit lite slotmags, but not quite?

Signature.
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2007, 17:53:33 pm »

[/quote]

Chartruse green, dark blue and some others I can't remember for some reason... Roll Eyes Wink
[/quote]
i don't no why sarge but in my mind  I thought that the bus was of this color, I think that this one would have indeed been to him too  Grin
and maybe a trailer behind the panel van with that 914  Cool

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
Sarge

« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2007, 18:21:37 pm »

What kind of wheels are on the baywindow? Look a bit lite slotmags, but not quite?

Those are Jackman wheels we had chrome plated.  Jackman's were a popular off-road wheel at the time...most were painted white.

DKP III
Sarge

« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2007, 19:57:12 pm »

When I started at Sierra in early 1973, I had the Datsun truck as well as our '69 sedan we bought new at Don Burns VW when I got home from the Army.  The Datsun replaced my '63 club car.  The '69, we used for traveling and the wife used for commuting back and forth to work.  I had little interest back then in the '69 until the fall of 1973 when Porsche debuted the 1974 models and Harvey suggested I "Porsche-ize" the car with some black trim (the new Carreras came with black trim).  Back then, we did loads of wheel swap up-grades and I was able to snag a set of Mahle 914 alloys take-offs for $25 each.  VW had a number of special edition cars at the time (Sun Bug, Jeans Bug, etc) that came from the factory with black trim...so I set about ordering all the pieces from Volkswagen.  As for the engine, I built a 1776 with Engle 110 and 041 cylinder heads...the first Kadron kits were just coming out, so I got a set of those to try.  The suspension recieved a new front beam with adjusters, a full set of Koni shocks and 3/4" Sway-A-Way bars front and rear.  The tires were 185/70 rear and 195/60 front Pirelli Centeratos.  Needless to say, this car handled great and made for an awesome road car for many years taking us all over California, Oregon and Arizona.  It was a fun time back then... Cool

DKP III
Dirk / DFL

« Reply #34 on: November 20, 2007, 20:12:33 pm »

What a very nice car, love this late lookers.... Smiley
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #35 on: November 20, 2007, 21:24:40 pm »

jim on the 2 & 3 pictures you had the dkp stickers on windows and  on the first when you add black bumpers , black trims  and baby gazburner , where are the stickers??? it's around 73 you said ,dkp did'nt exist any more Huh

Sarge

« Reply #36 on: November 20, 2007, 21:32:46 pm »

What a very nice car, love this late lookers.... Smiley

Thanks, Dirk!

jim on the 2 & 3 pictures you had the dkp stickers on windows and  on the first when you add black bumpers , black trims  and baby gazburner , where are the stickers??? it's around 73 you said ,dkp did'nt exist any more Huh

You are correct, Fabs...no more DKP, no more stickers...but still a desire for VW's!  Wink  Thanks again for helping an old guy with his pictures, too!  Grin

DKP III
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #37 on: November 20, 2007, 21:59:12 pm »

You are correct, Fabs...no more DKP, no more stickers...but still a desire for VW's!  Wink  Thanks again for helping an old guy with his pictures, too!  Grin
Wink

Jim Ratto

« Reply #38 on: December 04, 2007, 23:53:52 pm »

Time to revive this awesome post  Grin
roland

lates are the new splits...

« Reply #39 on: December 05, 2007, 00:00:55 am »

Blue 69 on mahles is looking really cool, really subtle. I like it!

Glitter don't make you faster.
Sarge

« Reply #40 on: December 05, 2007, 00:24:34 am »

Thanks Jim and Roland...will have a little more tomorrow.  Wink

DKP III
Cheesepanzer

« Reply #41 on: December 05, 2007, 03:39:37 am »

Sarge,
I'm certain that I used to see that late model car with the porsche rims and blacked out trim sitting out front of Beckers in Orange.  What was it, Lincoln and Glassel?  Man, its been a long time...  I always liked that car! Cool

62 Beetle (street/strip build)
63 Type 2 Single Cab
Cornpanzers
Shubee2 (DSK)

"There's No School Like OLD SCHOOL"

« Reply #42 on: December 05, 2007, 03:58:05 am »

When I started at Sierra in early 1973, I had the Datsun truck as well as our '69 sedan we bought new at Don Burns VW when I got home from the Army.  The Datsun replaced my '63 club car.  The '69, we used for traveling and the wife used for commuting back and forth to work.  I had little interest back then in the '69 until the fall of 1973 when Porsche debuted the 1974 models and Harvey suggested I "Porsche-ize" the car with some black trim (the new Carreras came with black trim).  Back then, we did loads of wheel swap up-grades and I was able to snag a set of Mahle 914 alloys take-offs for $25 each.  VW had a number of special edition cars at the time (Sun Bug, Jeans Bug, etc) that came from the factory with black trim...so I set about ordering all the pieces from Volkswagen.  As for the engine, I built a 1776 with Engle 110 and 041 cylinder heads...the first Kadron kits were just coming out, so I got a set of those to try.  The suspension recieved a new front beam with adjusters, a full set of Koni shocks and 3/4" Sway-A-Way bars front and rear.  The tires were 185/70 rear and 195/60 front Pirelli Centeratos.  Needless to say, this car handled great and made for an awesome road car for many years taking us all over California, Oregon and Arizona.  It was a fun time back then... Cool
The Best Part Is the CN36 Tires Sarge Grin Grin

Der Selten Kafers VW Club.
Founding Member Est: 1976

58 Ragtop Old School Cal Look
66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
Sarge

« Reply #43 on: December 06, 2007, 01:57:30 am »

Sarge,
I'm certain that I used to see that late model car with the porsche rims and blacked out trim sitting out front of Beckers in Orange.  What was it, Lincoln and Glassel?  Man, its been a long time...  I always liked that car! Cool

Thanks for the props, David...yeah, for a time I worked next door to Becker's...first, for Scott's Porsche, then Steve's Independent.  Your right, Lincoln and Glassell it is!

DKP III
deano

« Reply #44 on: December 06, 2007, 17:08:45 pm »

Speaking of Riverside...... So's how come there wasn't a huge high performance VW club based in Riverside in the late '60s and early '70s? With the real Empi, and then The Race Shop, Lee Leighton, the Fum' and others in the 'hood, you would think that a lot of very fast street cars would be risen from the 'side... It would seem that a lot of the early performance street guys were mostly in Orange County, down the road a piece....

Hot VWs Magazine Window Washer
Anglia Obsolete Guru
'67 Heaven
Frenchy Dehoux

« Reply #45 on: December 06, 2007, 18:13:35 pm »

I remember my first time to Econo Motors in 1970. I was looking at Joe's 50 split window in the show room and was amazed to see and old VW as nice as this one. Than I was checking the parts room with all of the Empi stuff everywhere. Than walked in the back of the dealer where Darrell had his shop. Which we could turn the clock back only for a day ( Time Tunnel ) and bring a truck load of parts back.

Thanks
   Frenchy

Doctor Detail ( Retired )
Sarge

« Reply #46 on: December 06, 2007, 19:12:47 pm »

Speaking of Riverside...... So's how come there wasn't a huge high performance VW club based in Riverside in the late '60s and early '70s? With the real Empi, and then The Race Shop, Lee Leighton, the Fum' and others in the 'hood, you would think that a lot of very fast street cars would be risen from the 'side... It would seem that a lot of the early performance street guys were mostly in Orange County, down the road a piece....

I spent four years working in Riverside and never saw much of anything performance street car or club wise.  Good point.  The area was definetly a hot bed for performance though...Ed Eckles, Bob Godfrey, Dave Andrews, Jim Myers, John Rue, Mark Reeder and Mike Leighton (Lee's son) were all guys that called the dealership one time or another.

DKP III
Cornpanzer

« Reply #47 on: December 06, 2007, 23:24:19 pm »

Cool stuff Sarge.  I drank a few beers with Harvey, Scott Henry, Grago and one of the Hayden Bros a few weeks back at the Rennsport Reunion.  Oddly enough, your name came up.  Wink

'67 Turbo Sedan
Ultra VW Contributor
Sarge

« Reply #48 on: December 06, 2007, 23:47:39 pm »

Oddly enough, your name came up.  Wink

Hmmm....hopefully nothing ugly??  Roll Eyes Wink

DKP III
Sarge

« Reply #49 on: December 07, 2007, 00:25:44 am »

Soooo, what ever became of the blue '69 sedan (I know your all sitting on the edge of your chairs  Roll Eyes)?  Well, the wife and I drove the wheels off of it.  Took it on lots of vacations all over California.  The first pic was shot on the dirt road into Bodie ( a ghost town off Hwy 395 near Mono Lake).  The second shot was when the small soft plug fell out of the lower float bowl on the 44IDF's I was running at the time....draining gas all over a hot engine YIKES!!  This was on Hwy 1 north of San Francisco out in the middle of nowhere.  The last two shots happened about this time of the year in 1992 out in front of the house one night.  Two drunks in a Chevy truck lost control (on a residential street, mind you) and plowed into the car.  Lucky we weren't in it.  The brake was set and in gear...you can see by the skids how far they pushed it down the street.  Sad day...almost like losing a member of the family.

DKP III
javabug

WHAT'S UP WID DA BOOM BOOM???

« Reply #50 on: December 07, 2007, 00:32:19 am »

Doesn't look all that bad until you see the engine shot.   Shocked

Mike H.

Sven was right.
Sarge

« Reply #51 on: December 07, 2007, 00:41:04 am »

Doesn't look all that bad until you see the engine shot.   Shocked

The right rear tire was half out of the fender well.  The bumper of the truck hit the end of the Okrasa crank right on the nose.  The insurance company said I could have the car and $1700.00 or $2600.00 and no car...I took the $2600.  i did get some "stuff" before the tow truck showed up and drug it away the next day.  Wink

DKP III
roland

lates are the new splits...

« Reply #52 on: December 07, 2007, 01:38:50 am »

Damn stupid drunks!  Angry the car was on ida's when it got crashed if i see correctly.. did you go on vacations with the ida? Grin

Glitter don't make you faster.
Sarge

« Reply #53 on: December 07, 2007, 01:57:20 am »

Damn stupid drunks!  Angry the car was on ida's when it got crashed if i see correctly.. did you go on vacations with the ida? Grin

Good eye Roland!  No vacations on IDA's...you never know when a nice dirt road might pop up.  Grin

DKP III
deano

« Reply #54 on: December 07, 2007, 04:08:18 am »

Ah, Sarge that would have buffed out.... You should have called Dyno, he would have got it lookin' good again.

Hot VWs Magazine Window Washer
Anglia Obsolete Guru
'67 Heaven
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #55 on: December 07, 2007, 17:29:12 pm »

damm Shocked those guys were assh..e  Angry  , destroy a car like that one  Cry
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 22:50:14 pm by speedwell » Logged

JS

« Reply #56 on: December 07, 2007, 20:16:25 pm »

Seeing an engine pic like that hurts. And I really mean it!!!  Embarrassed  Cry

Signature.
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #57 on: December 07, 2007, 20:38:36 pm »

watch the pulley  Shocked

Sarge

« Reply #58 on: December 07, 2007, 20:47:17 pm »

Seeing an engine pic like that hurts. And I really mean it!!!  Embarrassed  Cry

You got that right!  Too bad I didn't get a shot of the cops handcuffing the drunks and loading them in the back of the squad car... Wink

A nice Santana, too Fabs  Cry

DKP III
Martin Greaves

10.88@128.58

« Reply #59 on: December 07, 2007, 20:49:35 pm »

Fab it look at the pulley.  Tongue Cheesy

Hahaha your killing me.........
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: