The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 01, 2024, 15:41:40 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350869 Posts in 28606 Topics by 6828 Members
Latest Member: GSW Racing
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  The Riverside Years
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: The Riverside Years  (Read 28248 times)
Sarge

« on: November 15, 2007, 19:23:57 pm »

Don't know if this belongs here or not but tought maybe it might be of interest to some of you guys.  In 1972, after screwing around at my insurance"job", I took my first "real" job at a VW dealership (Renfree VW) as a parts tech.  I figured since I was in a VW club that it would be "no problem" selling VW parts.  Well, I started my day at the mechanics counter with a Frenchman named Pierre who had a Type III automatic trans in a million pieces.  I soon discovered I knew absolutly nothing...so did Pierre.  I lasted about eight months before bailing.  My next stop was at Sierra Porsche Audi in Riverside in parts again with long-time friend Harvey Weidman.  Working in Riverside brought me in contact with a whole new bunch of aquaintances.  One of the first was Darrell Vittone who ran the dyno at Econo Motors at the time and had just purchased a 1972 911-S.  It was a four mile drive to Econo and we had many lunch hour cruises together in either my Datsun Pick-up, Darrell's '56 bug, or the 911.  Sometimes we'd be joined by DV's  friend Carl "Grub" Robinson.  Grub and I soon became best of friends....my wife and I spent a lot of our weekends hanging at his "compound" in Highgrove (aptly named The Highgrove Gypsie Camp).  Grub's beautiful camo Ghia took us on many orange grove "tours" back in the day.  For helping DV with parts for his 911, I was given an engine for my Datsun truck that had been built for a customers 510 track car but was never picked up and had been around The Race Shop for a year or two.  Fumio did the head, Racer Brown cam, 2000 Roadster clutch and flywheel, dual Solex Mikuni carbs, and Badger high compression pistons...just what the Doc ordered!  A couple of pics...    More later.

DKP III
Carlos De Alba

« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2007, 19:35:07 pm »

Sarge,

Thanks for sharing !!!   Smiley   Great pictures !!!
« Last Edit: November 15, 2007, 19:38:01 pm by Carlos De Alba » Logged

Der Kleiner Panzers
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2007, 19:36:32 pm »

Cool story.

--louis

Louis Brooks

The Beatings Will Continue Until Moral Improves!
Allen Wiess

Der Kleiner Panzers

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2007, 19:43:35 pm »

Who is the skinny dude in the top picture  Shocked

Geers Engineering / LAT Lubricants
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2007, 19:49:25 pm »

are those manifold were made by empi  Huh

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
Sarge

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2007, 20:10:40 pm »

Who is the skinny dude in the top picture  Shocked

Roll Eyes who wants to know??  Grin

are those manifold were made by empi  Huh

No...All the performance stuff was sold through the Datsun SSS racing catalog / dealership.  Those were the days!

DKP III
Stephan S

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2007, 20:12:41 pm »

Love that truck!
Satoshi would love it too ;-)

Der Kleiner Panzers
Jim Ratto

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2007, 20:26:21 pm »

Grin

Sarge can you post that pic of the Sierra Porsche parts getter bus and all the Carrera alloys? And you and the long hair?  Grin

Awesome post dude.
ST DRAGN

More Port. More Gas..Kicks Ass...

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2007, 20:31:03 pm »

Cool story Sarge,
 I also had a Datsun p/u and a 1800 Roadster, fun cars to own..BTW: Do you still live by the words on the rear license plate on the Ghia. Grin

Der Kleiner Panzers
Jon
Administrator

12,3@174km/t at Gardermoen 2008

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2007, 20:31:50 pm »

This is so great, sometimes the lounge is just like reading in KS bible... but on here, new pages keeps popping up!!
Fantastic stories Sarge!

Grumpy old men have signatures like this.
Sarge

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2007, 20:34:43 pm »

Grin

Sarge can you post that pic of the Sierra Porsche parts getter bus and all the Carrera alloys? And you and the long hair?  Grin

Awesome post dude.

Gonna have to be in next week's installment, Jim...I think I know what pile it's in  Roll Eyes Grin

Cool story Sarge,
 I also had a Datsun p/u and a 1800 Roadster, fun cars to own..BTW: Do you still live by the words on the rear license plate on the Ghia. Grin

Who ME??  Wink

This is so great, sometimes the lounge is just like reading in KS bible... but on here, new pages keeps popping up!!
Fantastic stories Sarge!

Thanks for the nice compliment!  Fun trying to remember how it all went down sometimes...

DKP III
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2007, 20:36:14 pm »

Fantastic stories Sarge!

Aye, I agree. So much history on this site. Now we just need some of the other members to open up and tell some stories.

--louis

Louis Brooks

The Beatings Will Continue Until Moral Improves!
Sarge

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2007, 21:30:49 pm »

In the five years I spent working in Riverside at the dealership, Darrell was responsible for my getting to meet a lot of interesting characters.  One was Chas Morse.  Darrell grew tired of Econo Motors and finally pulled out to start Techtonics (stuff for water cooled VW's).  His shop was in a small complex with Richard McPeek (the pen striping on the Datsun truck was done at Richard's shop) and, sandwiched in between, was Chas' metal fabrication shop.  I'm pretty sure Chas was responsible for building some of the very first meged collector VW exhaust systems.  Chas was a real artist at metal fab and a pleasure to spend time with...always working on cool stuff, too.  When I was building my first sandrail, it was Chas that built the carb linkage, the breather box and a unique flat collector exhaust system.  The price was always right and you could always count on hearing some good stories while he was building your stuff.  Sadly, Chas passed away from spinal cancer sometime in the '80's at a relativly young age.

DKP III
Jim Ratto

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2007, 21:40:39 pm »

Love the pic of the KG with the John Muir-esque shade tree guy with it...

you can almost smell the dust and hear The Marshall Tucker Band playing from a transistor radio in the background.

I was born too late.
Sarge

« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2007, 22:03:59 pm »

you can almost smell the dust and hear The Marshall Tucker Band playing from a transistor radio in the background.

I was born too late.

See the big "W" in the background?  Sharon and I spent more then a few weekends "camped" inside.  Shocked Grin

DKP III
Shubee2 (DSK)

"There's No School Like OLD SCHOOL"

« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2007, 22:05:52 pm »

Don't know if this belongs here or not but tought maybe it might be of interest to some of you guys.  In 1972, after screwing around at my insurance"job", I took my first "real" job at a VW dealership (Renfree VW) as a parts tech.  I figured since I was in a VW club that it would be "no problem" selling VW parts.  Well, I started my day at the mechanics counter with a Frenchman named Pierre who had a Type III automatic trans in a million pieces.  I soon discovered I knew absolutly nothing...so did Pierre.  I lasted about eight months before bailing.  My next stop was at Sierra Porsche Audi in Riverside in parts again with long-time friend Harvey Weidman.  Working in Riverside brought me in contact with a whole new bunch of aquaintances.  One of the first was Darrell Vittone who ran the dyno at Econo Motors at the time and had just purchased a 1972 911-S.  It was a four mile drive to Econo and we had many lunch hour cruises together in either my Datsun Pick-up, Darrell's '56 bug, or the 911.  Sometimes we'd be joined by DV's  friend Carl "Grub" Robinson.  Grub and I soon became best of friends....my wife and I spent a lot of our weekends hanging at his "compound" in Highgrove (aptly named The Highgrove Gypsie Camp).  Grub's beautiful camo Ghia took us on many orange grove "tours" back in the day.  For helping DV with parts for his 911, I was given an engine for my Datsun truck that had been built for a customers 510 track car but was never picked up and had been around The Race Shop for a year or two.  Fumio did the head, Racer Brown cam, 2000 Roadster clutch and flywheel, dual Solex Mikuni carbs, and Badger high compression pistons...just what the Doc ordered!  A couple of pics...    More later.

Love the Plate Frame in the Picture of the Ghia Sarge Right out of the 70's LOL Grin Grin

Der Selten Kafers VW Club.
Founding Member Est: 1976

58 Ragtop Old School Cal Look
66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
WCB Hitler's Hot Rod

« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2007, 06:33:46 am »

I was born too late.

See the big "W" in the background?  Sharon and I spent more then a few weekends "camped" inside.  Shocked Grin
"DON'T COME A KNOCKIN' IF THIS MOTOR HOME IS A ROCKIN'"  Shocked Wink

WARNING! BE PREPARED FOR A ROLLING BLACKOUT.

West Coast Blitz... "Motha Sucka!"

You may have some Swag, but I OWN da Swagoo!!

This right here is my 'lil Nazi-killa!
stealth67vw

« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2007, 06:49:30 am »

I was born too late.

You got any pics? Sheep does  Shocked

John Bates
JB Machining Services
1967 street bug 2020lbs w/driver
12.34 @ 108 mph 1/4
7.76 @ 89mph 1/8
deano

« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2007, 07:56:02 am »

Sarge, I got that photo of you and Havey on my art table at work. I also have some photos of your Ford truck as well!

Hot VWs Magazine Window Washer
Anglia Obsolete Guru
'67 Heaven
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2007, 21:19:15 pm »

here's  a new pictures from SARGE
nice bay window with cool paint scheme , 7"fuschs maybe news at the time ; watch there's some cool  porsche box in the bus  Cool

Diederick/DVK

They're never done till they're sold

« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2007, 21:24:26 pm »

cool pic!

just one off-topic question, do 7" fuchs fit under the rear wings on long axles? just wondering.

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
DVK ~ Der Vollgas Kreuzers
Sarge

« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2007, 22:04:45 pm »

Compared to my short stint at Renfree VW, working with Harvey Weidman at Sierra Porsche Audi was quite an experience.  I'd known Harvey from High School and his older brother Al had taught me to swim many years before.  Before Harvey became Parts Mgr at Sierra, he spent a number of years working at Paint by Molly in La Habra (Molly did the paint on Vittone's Inch Pincher Too).  It was Harvey's influence (as well as his brother's) that got me interested in building a sandrail.  I remember that first trip to the dunes before I'd built a car and being "hooked."  The "group"  at the dunes included Don Bradford (Brad's Upholstery), Dean Kirsten, Mike Martin (Mike sold me the red 1965 Ford Pickup in the "Off Road thread...his wife, Julie bought Dean's blue '67 bug) as well as Harvey's brother Al and Al Noriega (my old boss from Renfree).

The Porsche parts business was strong back in the mid '70's.  Along with all the normal stuff we used to sell, Harvey got involved with buying direct from Stuttgart.  We imported hundreds of alloy's back then...7X15, 8X15, 9X15, and 11X15.  Lots of turbo and Carrera weld on flairs, too.  When Vittone was building his '72 911-S, we got him some factory Recarro seats along with a limited slip diff, short ratio ring and pinion and a set of "airport" gears.  Definatly the good old days!

DKP III
Sarge

« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2007, 22:12:03 pm »

Thanks for posting that pic, Fabs!  I'm the skinny guy on the left...Harvey's on the right.  Deano snapped the pic.  The shop truck had a Molly paint job, too!

DKP III
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2007, 22:14:19 pm »

cool one my friend  Shocked love that panel van with molly paint jpb , do you remember the color of the bus Huh
rgd
fabs

Sarge

« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2007, 22:19:57 pm »

cool one my friend  Shocked love that panel van with molly paint jpb , do you remember the color of the bus Huh
rgd
fabs

Chartruse green, dark blue and some others I can't remember for some reason... Roll Eyes Wink

DKP III
Jim Ratto

« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2007, 22:23:45 pm »

Compared to my short stint at Renfree VW, working with Harvey Weidman at Sierra Porsche Audi was quite an experience.  I'd known Harvey from High School and his older brother Al had taught me to swim many years before.  Before Harvey became Parts Mgr at Sierra, he spent a number of years working at Paint by Molly in La Habra (Molly did the paint on Vittone's Inch Pincher Too).  It was Harvey's influence (as well as his brother's) that got me interested in building a sandrail.  I remember that first trip to the dunes before I'd built a car and being "hooked."  The "group"  at the dunes included Don Bradford (Brad's Upholstery), Dean Kirsten, Mike Martin (Mike sold me the red 1965 Ford Pickup in the "Off Road thread...his wife, Julie bought Dean's blue '67 bug) as well as Harvey's brother Al and Al Noriega (my old boss from Renfree).

The Porsche parts business was strong back in the mid '70's.  Along with all the normal stuff we used to sell, Harvey got involved with buying direct from Stuttgart.  We imported hundreds of alloy's back then...7X15, 8X15, 9X15, and 11X15.  Lots of turbo and Carrera weld on flairs, too.  When Vittone was building his '72 911-S, we got him some factory Recarro seats along with a limited slip diff, short ratio ring and pinion and a set of "airport" gears.  Definatly the good old days!

Same Weidman that restores alloys up in Oroville CA?

He had a display booth at the Porsche fest in Ventura last summer. We used to send him business when I worked @ BH.

speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2007, 22:26:32 pm »

rgd
fabs

Chartruse green, dark blue and some others I can't remember for some reason... Roll Eyes Wink
thanks buddy

Sarge

« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2007, 22:30:24 pm »

He had a display booth at the Porsche fest in Ventura last summer. We used to send him business when I worked @ BH.

Yeah, same guy.  When Al moved to Northern California, he sold his business in SoCal to Al Reed.

DKP III
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2007, 01:27:23 am »

just one off-topic question, do 7" fuchs fit under the rear wings on long axles? just wondering.

Nope!

Great pic Sarge, keep 'em coming! Smiley

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
deano

« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2007, 06:49:11 am »

Yes, Harvey still has the wheel resto business in Oroville, while his older brother Al, has retired, sold his (second) polishing business, which was based just down the street from Harvey.

Harvey once built a sand buggy trailer using the stop sign post from the corner of his street. Living only two doors down from that intersection (Palm and Whittier Blvd.), he figured no one would ever notice that the stop sign was no longer there, and only a stub was left in the ground.

I remember shooting that photo of Sarge and Harvey, which would be about 1978. Hot VWs never ran the story (those rat bastards), so after all these years, the photo comes in handy to haunt Sarge once again.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2007, 06:50:51 am by deano » Logged

Hot VWs Magazine Window Washer
Anglia Obsolete Guru
'67 Heaven
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: