The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 08:25:15 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350761 Posts in 28587 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Pure racing
| | |-+  Small powerhouses and old school
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 29 Print
Author Topic: Small powerhouses and old school  (Read 664560 times)
bob_8

« Reply #510 on: July 23, 2010, 02:54:55 am »

I'm from Brazil, we are discussing about these engines, are sensational congratulations, here in Brazil has no engines of this type, usually only put crankshaft stroke and piston MAHLE great big (and heavy). the power drawn from these engines are really impressive'm crazy for vw bug especially by our dear aircooled.
aware of our forum and www.forumfuscabrasil.com.br www.fusca4ever.com.br

Sorry for my English, whom you write is the google translator: P

Take care everyone.
Adriano.
andy M.

« Reply #511 on: July 23, 2010, 19:19:33 pm »

I see that Mr Shattock has just run a 11.33 @ 119mph at bug jam with his mouse motor, good work!!

andy

L.B.C.R.
Paul Bate

« Reply #512 on: July 25, 2010, 22:16:51 pm »

Hello Peter,

I got to say what an exceptional time by any standard for a naturally aspirated car!!

Regardless of taking into account that it's driven to the track and is 1798CC !

Superb job Peter and all others involved!

Paul

Instagram: flatfourperformance_vw

Real street since 1994 drive to the track race and drive home no bull !

11.49 Natually Aspirated
10.79 Nitrous

1960 lbs with driver!
Corally

Drive it like it's stolen!

« Reply #513 on: July 26, 2010, 17:00:23 pm »

For those of you who drive your cars to and from the track, you’ll understand there is a great feeling pulling on to the drive at home and clicking the motor off having had a great weekend with the car and a bunch of mates, there really is nothing much better!

Feels great indeed! Disadvantage is that i'm usually deafend by the engine sound on such long drives  Grin

Kind regards,

Gideon
Peter Shattock

« Reply #514 on: July 28, 2010, 08:09:53 am »

Well I've just had another great if slightly shorter than planned weekend of racing this last weekend to see if my tinkering over the last few weeks had resolved the problems I had with the clutch and suspension last time out.
Unfortunately it was clear after the 1st run that the clutch was still not up to the job, so it was only a matter of time before it gave out. Worse still it was also clear that I had not resolved my suspension problems either. Fortunately I had enough options at the track with the parts I'd taken to resolve the suspension issues, which gave me the chance to see what difference the new gearbox ratios had made, whilst I still had a clutch!

With sorted suspension and the new gearbox ratios the car ran 3 consecutive 11.3…. quarter miles with a best of 11.32 @116mph (not 119mph as stated earlier). 

Needless to say I was very happy with this, and once again have to say a massive thanks to all of those that have helped me, particularly Peter at Cogbox in this case (who didn't go to the Brit F1 GP to finish my gearbox so I could race this weekend), Ian and Lee for the help and advice at the track and of course Johannes, for a little 1795cc engine which defies belief! I had several people come up to me at the weekend and say they could not believe a flat four could make that sort of noise!

I left the track on Sat night once I knew the clutch was finished for racing but still drivable, and had a great drive home with next to no traffic and got home in record time, unlike the journey to the track in torrential rain and horrible traffic. I took a little de tour on the way home as there's a nice straight road with a few sets of traffic lights close to home, just so I could use up the last of the clutch centre plate, but as ever pulling up on the drive at home and clicking the motor off was a great feeling after a weekend of racing I wont forget for a while!

I took the motor out on Sunday and the centre plate was almost 2.5mm thinner than it was when I put it in there before the race, but I have a possible solution to try at the next race at the end of August, so fingers crossed it will work this time!

Lee has some film footage of a couple of the runs which I will try and post but as ever it will no doubt take me ages so don't hold your breath.

Tanks Andy and Paulfor the encouragement and Corally ear plugs are definitely the way forward!

Peter

The fastest beetle in the village
colin jardine

« Reply #515 on: July 28, 2010, 10:59:18 am »

Nice catching up with you again at Bug Jam Pete, impressive stuff coming from your car with the little motor.  Oh, and earplugs are an essential item on the street i reckon  Smiley
delroyb

« Reply #516 on: August 19, 2010, 13:32:54 pm »

Ok this may have been mentioned already but the best of the formula bee boys are squeezing up to 130-140 bypass from a 1300 single port and engines that can last a season putting out 110. And they have too keep a lot of vw parts
delroyb

« Reply #517 on: August 19, 2010, 13:36:44 pm »

Sorry that was supposed to be formula vee and bhp not bypass. Stupid predictive text
Peter Shattock

« Reply #518 on: September 07, 2010, 23:35:12 pm »

A brief update. My last visit to the track with the new motor did not exactly go to plan, as I was still struggling with clutch issues, but did run a couple of 11.50's (which amazingly feels slow now!), the best being a 50 flat, so there was no improvement on my previous speed or et. The clutch center plate let go on the 3rd pass on Saturday, but thanks to Ian WPS for an express road trip to Cogbox and Peter's help to make up a new center plate we made it back to the track with the bits to fix the car for Sunday.
Adele and I ran on the Sunday as the first pair after the rain in the morning, and I'm sure most of you know what happened next, but as the others have said the main thing was that Adele was OK.

My next and last outing this year is DDD8, which I'm hoping will be a lot less eventfull than the last race! I'm not going to drive the car there, but hopefully I can have my fun on the track and perhaps a quick razz on the roads around Bitburg.         

Peter

Peter Shattock

« Reply #519 on: September 22, 2010, 22:38:48 pm »

Well this is the final instalment from me for a while. DDD8 was a great weekend and to be honest I don't think I've had such a good weekend before running at best 2/10ths of my et, and it took me right until the last run of the weekend to get that close. As has become the norm the clutch gave up on Sat afternoon, but thanks to Ian (WPS) we got the motor out, clutch sorted, and back in, just in time to catch the last of the DAS barbeque hospitality that evening. After chasing a good set up for a few runs, the car ran from 11.8 something to an 11.52 last run.

So the car ends the year with a best et of 11.315 at 116mph (no fan belt on slicks, with a muffler on super unleaded pump fuel) from around 25 passes and just over 1000 street miles. Needless to say 1000 miles is not much for a street car, but unfortunately my time for regular street miles is limited, due to other commitments. The only problems I have had, have been clutch related (one centre disc per meeting), but fingers crossed the last set up we tried for Sunday at DDD appears to be holding up well, so we may have found something which works  now. I hope to put some more street miles on the car now that the years racing is over for me, and just enjoy buzzing round some of the nice local country roads before the weather really turns for the worst.

Suffice to say its been a great year and the car has been fast and reliable on the street and track, its sat in traffic jams and not got hot, done 500-600 miles of motorway driving and knocked 6 tenths of a second of my previous PB, it even gave between 25 and 30mpg on the drives to the track, so it really has done everything I could have asked for, and all from 1795cc.

So that just leaves me to say thanks to all those who have helped me this year and in particular Ian at WPS, Peter at Cogbox, Dave Dinning, Lee Maynard, and of course Johannes at JPM for what has proved to be a ridiculously good little motor for the street and strip.

Peter

Pas

« Reply #520 on: September 22, 2010, 23:29:04 pm »

Excellent summary Peter, roll on 2011.

Long live the mouse motors !!!

You stay classy, Cal-look Lounge.
didi

« Reply #521 on: September 23, 2010, 19:20:08 pm »

peter, it was realy impressive to see you running at ddd8! your new small mouse motor sounds and run great.
cool that some members from the outlaw's are coming again to bitburg.

didi

Didi - Aircooled VW
http://didivw.blogspot.com/
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #522 on: September 23, 2010, 19:38:23 pm »

Wink

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #523 on: September 23, 2010, 19:39:59 pm »

Wink

speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #524 on: September 23, 2010, 19:41:39 pm »

Wink

jamiep_jamiep

« Reply #525 on: September 24, 2010, 13:29:30 pm »

Awesome work as always Peter....

Lee.C

I might be an Idiot but I'm not an Arsehole!

« Reply #526 on: September 26, 2010, 00:38:17 am »

Wink

Awesome car - glad I had a chance to have a quick chat with Pete and Ian on Saturday night (sorry if I was a little drunk!) Loving the tinware by the way pete  Wink

You either "Get It" or you don't......
Peter Shattock

« Reply #527 on: September 29, 2010, 13:35:01 pm »

Thanks for the kind comments all, DDD8 was a great end to a great year of racing for me, I just have my fingers crossed the event will run again next year. I think there might be a few more Outlaw's there next year, but it does clash with an event the same weekend in the UK as a general rule, which is why we haven't attended in greater numbers over recent years. I think its fair to say this years event sparked a flame for a few of us though, as its a great hardcore VW event with like minded people from all over attending, and the quality of cars as well as the quantity is as good as I've seen in one place.

I know there are a few other small motors being built out there, so hopefully there will be more updates on this thread over the winter and next year, with others flying the flag for the mouse motor, and needless to say I'm sure those that are out there allready will be thinking about winter tinkering plans. Roll on the 2011 race season!

Peter

Johannes Persson

« Reply #528 on: October 14, 2010, 17:45:03 pm »

Hello there,

Just a dyno pull of my 1915.
69mm Demello
JE pistons
5.4" rods
MS230 46x36 valves
11.2:1C/R
Raptor valvetrain
F1 throttle bodies
Motec M4 ecu

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/v0o4Yt6ew1M" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/v0o4Yt6ew1M</a>

Will soon be updated with raised c/r, top shot injectors and new header.

/Johannes Persson

Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #529 on: October 14, 2010, 17:58:41 pm »

Give us some numbers!

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Jim Ratto

« Reply #530 on: October 14, 2010, 18:10:06 pm »

Hello guys,

I am happy and exited to tell you that a new, very aggressive," RAPTOR mouse" was born yesterday.

1795cc, mag case, 043 heads and ida 48 carbs.

228,3hp/7990rpm and 231Nm(166.9lbs)6200rpm corrected(Din).

Have a nice weekend.

Johannes Persson

This is amazing and great news for keeping air cooled following interested and learning. Congratulations and thank you! Smiley
Jim Ratto

« Reply #531 on: October 14, 2010, 18:11:15 pm »

Peter congratulations on your motor, seems it is best of "both worlds" and the motor I dream about at night.

volkskris

« Reply #532 on: October 14, 2010, 20:43:15 pm »

Give us some numbers!
248 @ 8900rpm, found on the JPM dyno day thread Wink
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 14:26:59 pm by volkskris » Logged
Airspeed

« Reply #533 on: October 14, 2010, 21:27:42 pm »

9700 RPM!  Shocked Bloody h*ll !

What oiling mods have you done to keep the bearings ok at that rpm Johannes?

"...these cars were preferred by the racers because the strut front suspension results in far superior handling than the regular torsion bar front end..."  - Keith Seume.
10.58 @ 130 mph (2/9/2022 Santa Pod)
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #534 on: October 14, 2010, 22:35:10 pm »

Holy hell!! Shocked

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
BeetleBug

Snabba grabben...

« Reply #535 on: October 15, 2010, 07:34:02 am »

That is what I call a proper wake up call!

Johannes, thank you for taking the time to share your ideas and thoughts with the rest of us.

Best rgs
BB

10.41 - 100ci - 1641ccm - 400hp
Johannes Persson

« Reply #536 on: October 17, 2010, 20:25:47 pm »

Hello,

This engine was built for at least 4 years ago as an R&D project.
It is designed to have peak power at 9000rpm and 14bar bmep, if I can hit this goals it will pump out 265hp or 138.4hp/lit.
Only small changes has been made since first build, it has mostly been sitting on my shelf but the plan is to race the engine for next season.

The pulls on the video is up to 9700rpm where the rew limiter kicks in, the power is 248hp at 8900rpm.
No special oiling mods are done, just ordinary full flow with 26mm pump and oil return into main gallery.

New header was tested today, 252hp at 9000rpm and keeps the power almost to 10000rpm.
There was also a 8hp increase at 7000rpm, I have only made the calibration of A/F maybe some improvements could be expected from calibration of the ignition curve which I will do the next days.

Next change will be "top shot" injectors, after that a custom made piston, which will raise the comp ratio to hopefully about 13:1.
I still have 13hp up to reach target, a 3-4% increase could be expected going from 11.2-13:1 in CR.

BTW I only use my std size OTEVA75 dual springs, valve lift is 16.3mm(0.641").

/Johannes

Jon
Administrator

12,3@174km/t at Gardermoen 2008

« Reply #537 on: October 17, 2010, 23:14:18 pm »

New header was tested today, 252hp at 9000rpm and keeps the power almost to 10000rpm.

Congratulations Johannes! Exhausts is a interesting topic, and four horses at that level is a great achievement!

Grumpy old men have signatures like this.
Eddie DVK

« Reply #538 on: October 18, 2010, 08:04:18 am »

Hello,

It is designed to have peak power at 9000rpm and 14bar bmep, if I can hit this goals it will pump out 265hp or 138.4hp/lit.
Only small changes has been made since first build, it has mostly been sitting on my shelf but the plan is to race the engine for next season.

The pulls on the video is up to 9700rpm where the rew limiter kicks in, the power is 248hp at 8900rpm.
No special oiling mods are done, just ordinary full flow with 26mm pump and oil return into main gallery.

There was also a 8hp increase at 7000rpm, I have only made the calibration of A/F maybe some improvements could be expected from calibration of the ignition curve which I will do the next days.

Next change will be "top shot" injectors, after that a custom made piston, which will raise the comp ratio to hopefully about 13:1.
I still have 13hp up to reach target, a 3-4% increase could be expected going from 11.2-13:1 in CR.

/Johannes

It is so cool to read these posts and those numbers are just mind blowing, 9700RPMs
Much respect Johannes.

Regards Edgar

" Type 4, it is a completely different engine. You have to drive one to understand! "
Lee.C

I might be an Idiot but I'm not an Arsehole!

« Reply #539 on: October 18, 2010, 11:02:17 am »

Hello,

/Johannes

Seriously coool stuff  Grin

You either "Get It" or you don't......
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 29 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: