The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 27, 2024, 22:36:51 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350867 Posts in 28606 Topics by 6827 Members
Latest Member: bmwjaguare5
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Different ideas for performance street mufflers (big cc stuff)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Different ideas for performance street mufflers (big cc stuff)  (Read 24247 times)
Jim Ratto

« on: January 17, 2008, 21:55:41 pm »

Has "it all been done?"

the high perf exhaust system for the street VW has grown up over the last 40+ years, hasn't it. Have the pipes been bent and looped and twisted every which way they can be? Glass-packs, stingers, straight-thru's turbo mufflers....anything left out there? Exit to right side, left side, hidden under car, what's left?

Just curious and thought this might stir up some imagination. .

Grin
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2008, 22:01:50 pm »

Zoomies?  Have two exit on each side right in front of the rear tire. Grin

I am still under the opinion that QPs and especially dual QPs are the nicest looking and sounding exhaust fitted to a VW. I wonder if you can get a set of Dual QPs to flow as well as a single turbo muff.

--louis

Louis Brooks

The Beatings Will Continue Until Moral Improves!
Jim Ratto

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2008, 22:06:28 pm »

I am still under the opinion that QPs and especially dual QPs are the nicest looking and sounding exhaust fitted to a VW. I wonder if you can get a set of Dual QPs to flow as well as a single turbo muff.

--louis

if one was to use a more modern and gas-flow friendly muffler it might be.
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2008, 22:09:32 pm »

--louis

if one was to use a more modern and gas-flow friendly muffler it might be.

Yeah that is what I thought. I am going to get in touch with Tiger at A1 and see if he can whip up a set for the 2276 when I get to that point.

--louis

Louis Brooks

Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2008, 02:32:57 am »

Ive got an idea that I stole from the guy who owns the VW/Porsche shop a couple doors down... it involves this Wink

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Mike Maize

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2008, 15:22:17 pm »

I do not think it has "all" been done. Most people are trapped by the same old ideas. I gotta tell you I am definetly a QP hater. All weinerish and small.....yuck! The V8 muffler trend was the best thing to date. I say "lets not bring back QP's"(especially duals, because they are heavier and twice as weinerish) I barely lived through them the first time Wink
Neil Davies

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2008, 16:51:26 pm »

I remember seeing a Ghia in a picture that had the exhaust coming out of one of the torsion bar cover holes in the wing - that looked a bit mad, but very cool. The dual Quiet Pack is my favourite - the bread bin turbo mufflers look unbalanced to me. I know what Mike Maize is talking about though - single quiet packs are just too small!

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
Jim Ratto

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2008, 21:38:14 pm »

Personally I like sound and look of a clean set of quiet packs on a cammy motor with big carbs. True though, they don't have the most aggressive look.

I think a no-nonsense, no flash system is best. I like Glenn Gaskey's tailpipe treatment.

I think, if it were possible, a sidewinder type, like Glenn's and have a plain 2-1/2" tailpipe exit, like Glenn's, would be cool. Just a plain pipe. Black, cut off straight, peeking out of apron.
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2008, 21:40:52 pm »

I am more of a chrome tip guy. Maybe with a hint of a trumpet flair. On HVWs Project 67, wonder what ever happened to that one, they moved the exhaust cutouts from the apron to the fender. Thought that was a novel idea even if it was not something I would do.

--louis

Louis Brooks

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2008, 03:36:54 am »

Possibly a VW version of the Porsche 550 4-cam "Sebring" exhaust ?
Mike Maize

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2008, 03:57:08 am »

Now you are talking Richard!
javabug

WHAT'S UP WID DA BOOM BOOM???

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2008, 05:42:22 am »

Hmm I could get into that.  Wonder if anyone ever tried it?

Mike H.

Sven was right.
Tobi/DFL

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2008, 08:42:41 am »

I love the look of dual quiet packs and Iīm not a fan of turbo mufflers at all, BUT I feel that my dual quiet packs for merged headers isnīt the best for my engine especially when it comes to high revs.  For that reason Iīve made my own dual quiet packs the last few weeks (it still isnīt finished, yet). It has slightly bigger tubes whereas the outer dimensions of the 2 mufflers are exactely the same as on my former CB dual quiets (see pic).

I donīt know if it will work but Iīm optimistic. Wink Next season will show...
Bye,

Tobi
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2008, 10:52:32 am »

Looks good Tobi!

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
Mike Maize

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2008, 14:08:48 pm »

It does look good because it is "big" enough in comparison to muscle under the lid!
jick

« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2008, 14:49:01 pm »

yeah that does look good, the pipes have a really nice shape to them...

i have a turbo muffler that i'm modiying for my '59, along the same lines as one that Geoff Hart had on his beryl green 59, with a much longer pipe between the flange and muffler...

louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2008, 15:44:03 pm »

That looks sweet! Be interested to see how they work and sound.

--louis

Louis Brooks

Jim Ratto

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2008, 19:23:38 pm »

I love the look of dual quiet packs and Iīm not a fan of turbo mufflers at all, BUT I feel that my dual quiet packs for merged headers isnīt the best for my engine especially when it comes to high revs.  For that reason Iīve made my own dual quiet packs the last few weeks (it still isnīt finished, yet). It has slightly bigger tubes whereas the outer dimensions of the 2 mufflers are exactely the same as on my former CB dual quiets (see pic).

I donīt know if it will work but Iīm optimistic. Wink Next season will show...
Bye,

Tobi

how much for a set? Grin  I'm sold!
javabug

WHAT'S UP WID DA BOOM BOOM???

« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2008, 19:29:57 pm »

Those are just the ticket, Tobi.  Me likey, and will probably try to copy!   Shocked

Mike H.

Sven was right.
Cheesepanzer

« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2008, 19:49:32 pm »

Toby, that set-up looks great.  Old-school look with today's technology - sweet!

I'd like to do something similar with my Ghia.   Cool

62 Beetle (street/strip build)
63 Type 2 Single Cab
Cornpanzers
Tobi/DFL

« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2008, 09:53:22 am »

Thanks for the nice comments, everybody! I will keep you updated how the system works!;-)
LuftsickTero

« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2008, 10:29:12 am »

I think, if it were possible, a sidewinder type, like Glenn's and have a plain 2-1/2" tailpipe exit, like Glenn's, would be cool. Just a plain pipe. Black, cut off straight, peeking out of apron.

Does anyone in this forum have any experience in A1 sidewinder exhaust?

| Cal&Resto | Publishing own mediocre Cal Look photos since 1995 in interwebs.
Tim C

« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2008, 10:35:16 am »

Andy Jewell ran one for a while, so you could pm him Tero... however it looked very odd when following the car, it didn't look complete. On the "cough cough" resto cal side... Foxy runs one on his GFK 65.

They are really nicely made.

JG54 Greenhearts
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2008, 17:39:12 pm »

They are quiet... much more so than the standard style A-1 turbo muffler. I think it needs the tips routed out the peashooter holes... would look more appropriate, and stealthy too. Plus, it wouldnt blow dust all over the car when you start it up Wink

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
lawrence

« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2008, 04:52:02 am »

Tero, I have a sidewinder on my 1914 and I am very happy with it.

The quality is good. The slip joints are very tight, so Tiger told me to use wd-40 when assembling and it worked like a charm. I wanted a quiet muffler. Tiger recommended the magnaflow, which is barely audible but still has a nice, mellow tone. It does not sound like a dune buggy or a V-8. I painted my header high temp flat black so it is nice and stealthy. It gives the car a different look. Not resto cal at all Roll Eyes

Zach, the muffler only has one tip, but it would probably look very cool to have it stick an inch or so past the peashooter hole. Don't worry about the dust. I am one of those guys who constantly wipes my car down anyway Grin

"Happiness is a Hot VW!"
folkevogn

« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2008, 09:58:06 am »

I love the look of dual quiet packs and Iīm not a fan of turbo mufflers at all.
Tobi
I totally agree!I bought a muffler to have someone make me a turbomuffler several years ago, I then found out that this wasn`t the way I wanted my car to look(for reasons I wont go into  Smiley) its been bodering me for years, I want look and performance.Been thinking of trying to make something simular to the dual quiet packs for a year or so, but my problem is that the exhaust "flang" sits 5-6cm behind the rear apron witch in turn will make the pipe-bends sit too far from the apron.And I`m scared of loosing horsepower if I shorten it...so my solution so far has been to use the stinger  Cool  Grin  I cant relax when driving because I`m always scared of meeting the police , witch ruins the joy of using a Hi-pow VW on the street a little bit.

I remember 3 or 4 years ago talking to Paul Rui about me wanting to have a Porsche 550 4-cam "Sebring" exhaust maid for a Type 1, he then told me that there was a guy in England(I think it was Ritchie from Karman connection) who had plans of starting a production of that kind of heaters. I never heard of any product like that hitting the market, so I`m guessing the market wasn`t big enuff or the cost to high. But I think it would look very period and cool on a looker.

11.96 @ 180kmh - SCC 2013 Grin
Casey

« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2008, 16:42:46 pm »

Straight stingers! Come on...I can hear it now! Image a cruise with a bunch of 2 liters. I loved parking structures back in the day!! Vish Roll Eyes Tongue

DKP III
team97
DKK

3M TA3

« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2008, 21:30:20 pm »

They are quiet... much more so than the standard style A-1 turbo muffler. I think it needs the tips routed out the peashooter holes... would look more appropriate, and stealthy too. Plus, it wouldnt blow dust all over the car when you start it up Wink

I made mine come out a single pee shooter hole. Tiger made me a Sidewinder with the outlet blank and I routed it myself. Glenn

Der Kleiner Panzers III
D.K.K.
Dirk / DFL

« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2008, 21:47:53 pm »

Woah, that looks realy good. Shocked
lawrence

« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2008, 03:42:39 am »

Yes, it does look good. Glenn, do you have a picture of the entire rear of the car to get a better perspective.

"Happiness is a Hot VW!"
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: