The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 27, 2024, 22:52:19 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350867 Posts in 28606 Topics by 6827 Members
Latest Member: bmwjaguare5
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Different ideas for performance street mufflers (big cc stuff)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: Different ideas for performance street mufflers (big cc stuff)  (Read 24254 times)
DKKBRIAN
DKK

« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2008, 04:21:16 am »

COOL PICS GLENN! ANY MORE PICS OF THIS NEW CAR? BP

DUH..WINNING !
Bruce

« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2008, 07:02:36 am »

Tobi, can you tell us some specs on what you built?  What dia are the pipes from the collector to the muffs?  Where did you get the muff blanks?
Jon
Administrator

12,3@174km/t at Gardermoen 2008

« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2008, 09:20:40 am »

Super nice Tobi, I haven't gotten around to starting to weld up mine yet. Yours came out awesome, hey I would buy one I you put it into production! The "Tobi-double"!

Grumpy old men have signatures like this.
outlaw

« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2008, 10:05:35 am »

Have a look at the "classic sporty style" very nice indeed, no good for big BHP motors but very tidy all the same, its a shame something like this could not be developed further, nothing better than the 2 neat tail pipes coming out from the stock valance IMHO..............or the Sebring style which Iīve seen on a few 550 replicas so someone must do them for bug engines.

http://www.hoffmann-speedster.com/us/prod/AUSPUFF.asp

Tobi/DFL

« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2008, 11:49:07 am »

Tobi, can you tell us some specs on what you built?  What dia are the pipes from the collector to the muffs?  Where did you get the muff blanks?

Hi Bruce,

Iīve shortened the merged part of the header quite a bit to get a 2,5" opening which is the same diameter as the flange. The part after the flange is conical so itīs like an extension of the formerly cut merged bit. After that the tubes to the mufflers are 2 1/8" mild steel tubing (the radius is 3 or 4"...I canīt remember). The tubes inside the mufflers are 2 1/8" as well. The tailpipes are 2 1/4" stainless steel tubing and the ends are widened with the help of a 10 ton. press. All tubings, reducers and flanges are from www.jegs.com. The mufflers are from a german shop and as far as know that shop gets those parts from Summit Racing.
Bye,

Tobi
Tobi/DFL

« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2008, 11:49:58 am »

Super nice Tobi, I haven't gotten around to starting to weld up mine yet. Yours came out awesome, hey I would buy one I you put it into production! The "Tobi-double"!

Thanks, Jon! Smiley
javabug

WHAT'S UP WID DA BOOM BOOM???

« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2008, 14:20:22 pm »

Hey Tobi, thanks for the info on your project.  One more question:  Did you make the bends yourself, or are they a standard bend available?  They don't look like they are made from the u-bends that can be bought.

Thanks again!

Mike H.

Sven was right.
Tobi/DFL

« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2008, 16:21:12 pm »

Hey Tobi, thanks for the info on your project.  One more question:  Did you make the bends yourself, or are they a standard bend available?  They don't look like they are made from the u-bends that can be bought.

Thanks again!

Hi Javabug,

those are U-bends from the Jegs website, just cut as needed.
Bye,

Tobi
javabug

« Reply #38 on: January 25, 2008, 20:20:00 pm »

Thank you.   Cool

Mike H.

Sven was right.
Jim Ratto

« Reply #39 on: February 28, 2008, 23:38:20 pm »

Hi Tobi, have you any news on your mufflers? Please let us know, thanks.

Jim
Tony M

« Reply #40 on: February 29, 2008, 00:18:15 am »

We work on a Beck 550 Spider kit car with a close to orig style exhaust - like the one on the other page - one of the BEST SOUNDING EXHAUST SYSTEMS - Big motor in car too - one muffler on each side with nice bends into a single outlet - but car has lots of room to hide all the pipes

Life is too fast to drive a slow VW
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #41 on: February 29, 2008, 01:28:27 am »

I made mine come out a single pee shooter hole. Tiger made me a Sidewinder with the outlet blank and I routed it myself. Glenn

NICE! Now THAT'S the best exhaust I've seen in years. Good job!

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
Tony M

« Reply #42 on: February 29, 2008, 02:46:12 am »

That is not the same car - This one is out in the valley here - I know james has worked on that other one from hayward - Not sure on his exh. system.

Life is too fast to drive a slow VW
team97
DKK

3M TA3

« Reply #43 on: February 29, 2008, 03:10:11 am »

I made mine come out a single pee shooter hole. Tiger made me a Sidewinder with the outlet blank and I routed it myself. Glenn

NICE! Now THAT'S the best exhaust I've seen in years. Good job!

Thanks Fred.

We'll see va sunday, Glenn

Der Kleiner Panzers III
D.K.K.
Tobi/DFL

« Reply #44 on: February 29, 2008, 09:09:53 am »

Hi Tobi, have you any news on your mufflers? Please let us know, thanks.

Jim

Hi Jim,

no news yet as itīs winter in germany so the car usually gets some updates. Wink The gearbox is out to get a refreshening and an 4.125 R/P (instead of 3.875). I hope to get it back in about 2 weeks so I can re-install it. I hope to be able to go for this yearīs first test drives in 4-6 weeks.
Bye,

Tobi
Rennsurfer

« Reply #45 on: April 10, 2008, 20:40:35 pm »

I'm STOKED! Finally found my 4-Tuned single muffler from the early '80s. Had this for a short while on my '66. Too bad they went outta business... they were my favorite system back then.

When I sold my car, it had a brand new custom merged header with tucked dual mufflers on it from them. (sigh!) I was a fool to let that system go. I was young and dumb. Now, I'm old and dumb.

'Tis okay, though.... I'm gonna have Tiger make me up something custom. On my way to his shop, now.

~Sarge
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #46 on: April 10, 2008, 21:07:27 pm »

Cool. be interesting to see what you come up with. I have been thinking of contacting A1 about a dual Q pack style setup for one of his lowdown headers.

--louis

Louis Brooks

The Beatings Will Continue Until Moral Improves!
Rennsurfer

« Reply #47 on: April 11, 2008, 01:21:26 am »

Cool. be interesting to see what you come up with. I have been thinking of contacting A1 about a dual Q pack style setup for one of his lowdown headers.

--louis

Okay, just got back from Tiger's shop and we came up with something for my car. I'll keep y'all updated when it's done. Thank you, John Rayburn, for talking to me about what I wanted with my exhaust, the other day, when I was at your house.

~Sarge
John Rayburn

Der Kleiner Panzers

« Reply #48 on: April 11, 2008, 02:06:58 am »

You're always welcome Mark!!

I also park at Nick's.
Rennsurfer

« Reply #49 on: May 08, 2008, 17:03:31 pm »

Finally got around to painting my new system. Gonna try to install it today.

~Sarge
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #50 on: May 08, 2008, 17:23:36 pm »

That looks pretty sweet.

--louis

Louis Brooks

The Beatings Will Continue Until Moral Improves!
javabug

« Reply #51 on: May 08, 2008, 19:20:18 pm »

What size?  1-1/2" looks like?  Cut down some chrome straight rolled tips for the pea-shooter holes.

Mike H.

Sven was right.
Jim Ratto

« Reply #52 on: May 08, 2008, 19:36:58 pm »

Looks good.

I think a similar setup would be cool, but with two short megaphones poking out just beyond bumper (with diffusers... a la 906, 907...etc)

JLaw

« Reply #53 on: May 09, 2008, 08:22:46 am »

Its seems that most headers/exhaust systems for our cars are all 4 into 1 configurations. I'd love to see some 4-2-1 and compare them on the dyno to see how different the power curves would be. Are there any 'off the shelf' 4-2-1 headers available?

Cheers, John.
Rennsurfer

« Reply #54 on: May 09, 2008, 17:00:18 pm »

What size?  1-1/2" looks like?  Cut down some chrome straight rolled tips for the pea-shooter holes.

Correct... 1―" flanged heater boxes and sidewinder header. Had to drill a hole in the boxes for the return spring on the flap linkage. Also, there is no groove for the circlip on the pivot shaft.

I'm impressed with how much lighter the A-1 boxes are. Only weighed 4lbs. on my scale. They feel only a third of what the factory ones weigh.

Overall, I'm happy with the system.

~Sarge
javabug

« Reply #55 on: May 09, 2008, 17:10:38 pm »

Looks tidy!  Probably sounds a little better than a stocker.

Where's Tobi???  We need an update on his dual muffler project.   Cool

Mike H.

Sven was right.
Jim Ratto

« Reply #56 on: May 09, 2008, 17:21:50 pm »

Correct... 1―" flanged heater boxes and sidewinder header. Had to drill a hole in the boxes for the return spring on the flap linkage. Also, there is no groove for the circlip on the pivot shaft.

I'm impressed with how much lighter the A-1 boxes are. Only weighed 4lbs. on my scale. They feel only a third of what the factory ones weigh.

Overall, I'm happy with the system.

Wow.... looks cool Mark. Very Germanic. How does it sound?
I really like that....  wish I still had cutouts.   Roll Eyes
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #57 on: May 09, 2008, 17:32:52 pm »

Very nice!

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
nicolas

« Reply #58 on: May 09, 2008, 17:38:01 pm »

yes that does look good. maybe a new trend in callook...
Rennsurfer

« Reply #59 on: May 09, 2008, 17:53:04 pm »

You guys are too kind... thanks! I didn't expect that response. Truth be known, since the early '80s, I've always wanted to build a Beetle like this; overall stock appearance, hidden extractor with silver pipes in the stock cutouts, and a decent engine. Funny thing is... I had planned on doing this after my boys were outta high school in a couple of years. But thanks to Schwimmer, Meredith, and Rayburn... here I am. HAHA!!

The sound is great, can't wait to hear it with dual carbs and a bigger engine. What's really impressive, is that Tiger's extractor pipe lengths are closer than any other VW system that I've ever seen. Companies claim that the make "equal length pipes" but rarely ever deliver.

(edit) Whoa, those last names sound like a legal firm, yes? HA!
« Last Edit: May 09, 2008, 17:54:49 pm by DKK_Fred » Logged

~Sarge
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: