The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 03, 2024, 16:47:59 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350874 Posts in 28608 Topics by 6828 Members
Latest Member: GSW Racing
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Tyre kicking
| |-+  Off Topic
| | |-+  Introducing myself... .
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Introducing myself... .  (Read 11511 times)
cal_gecko

yeah.. I drive a Miata... and no, I'm not gay

« on: June 12, 2008, 20:01:57 pm »

Hi all...

New guy here, thought I'd introduce myself.  Was friends with a member here (JRatto) back in the late 80's, early 90's... then 'life' happened and we all moved away from each other.. recently found out another friend (who happens to be "Sheep" here on the forum) from those days happens to live 2 houses down from me,  and he told me that Jim hangs out here.. so I registered to get in touch with him. 

While I don't have a VW, I am a car enthusiast and can appreciate the effort and dedication it takes to bring the old cars up to the levels that you guys have done with your rides. 

I may be setting myself up for a ton of ridicule here, but I'll tell y'all what I've got..

In my garage, a 1971 Dodge Dart Swinger that I've been 'restifying' for the last 5 years or so.. it's a solid car (no major rust), but the paint was shot.. so I've been slowly stripping the paint, priming it, painting the jambs, etc.. already upgraded the rear end with a bigger unit, limited slip, upgraded the transmission with a reverse manual valve body, kevlar bands, upgraded clutchpacks, lower gears.. and replaced the 318ci V8 with a 360ci V8.. replaced all the brakes all the way around with bigger units.. blah blah blah.. like I said, it's a bit of a project.

My other car .. (get ready for it....)  is a 1994 Mazda Miata .. I've upgraded the suspension with stiffer springs, Bilstein HD shocks, bigger sway bars, etc.. roll bar, Falken Azenis RT615 tires, and a couple other things.  I've participated in a number of open track days at Thunderhill Raceway (3 mile road course here in Northern CA) and the car does fairly well... it's a 'momentum' car on the track, since it doesn't have a ton of power, it is best to get it set up to carry as much speed through the turns as possible... which it does pretty well Smiley  It's a really fun car, and handles exceptionally well.  Let the hairdresser jokes begin.

I have posted a number of videos of my trackdays on Youtube if anyone's interested..
http://www.youtube.com/user/calgecko
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/TkiLjzT6P7U" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/TkiLjzT6P7U</a>

Here's a picture of how my Miata looks now..

In my spare time, I really enjoy photography, farting around on the computer, and messing around with either car..

Mark
« Last Edit: June 12, 2008, 20:15:40 pm by cal_gecko » Logged
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2008, 20:13:26 pm »

Condolences for knowing Jim R.

Grin

Just kidding, Jim's a good guy... but welcome to The Lounge. Cars and photography go rather well together. I can relate.

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
cal_gecko

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2008, 20:17:07 pm »

Thanks.. Yeah, Jim's a good guy.. we all had some good times back then..

If you've read the story about his trip to Death Valley that resulted in a flat tire.. with a speakerbox where the spare tire should be in the trunk... yeah.. that was me Smiley

Fix-a-Flat saved our asses
Jim Ratto

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2008, 21:24:27 pm »

If you've read the story about his trip to Death Valley that resulted in a flat tire.. with a speakerbox where the spare tire should be in the trunk... yeah.. that was me Smiley

Grin Grin Grin Grin

Mark that has to be my favorite "near death experiences." (the others involved Ty and/or Billy)

That was a cool trip all around.... crusing through Hollywood @ 2am, you falling asleep on the 14 freeway (and me steering).... yeah the whole fix a flat bit out in Devil's Golfcourse (I still have a shot of you shaking the can of fix a flat).....then the trip home up 395 and over Tioga Pass @ sunset.... my first time up at Tuolumne meadows.

Fun times taking the Civic out to Crows Landing too to grind a set of tires up out there. I really liked that car, especially after you painted it blue.

Good to see you here...  I'm sure it will roll back the clocks for both of us!  Smiley Smiley

a Miata?     Roll Eyes
cal_gecko

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2008, 21:38:54 pm »

yeah. .. that Civic was fun.. unfortunately, I have NO photos of it when I used to Auto-X it Sad .. I'd love to see that picture of me with the can of Fix a flat !! Any chance you could scan it?

I still talk to Ty fairly often - he's living in Brentwood, married, has a couple kids and is doing well.. matter of fact, he called me recently to let me know that Carolyn (my ex, his sister) has had a couple heart attacks lately.. not good.

We've got our 20 year high school reunion coming up this September.. I haven't decided yet if I even want to go.. from what I've seen on the reunion website discussions, it's all the same old crowds from back then, the jocks, cheerleaders and 'cool' people that I never cared to hang around... so I'm probably gonna pass on it..

scary.. 20 years..

wow

yeah.. a Miata ... I know..

in all seriousness though.. they are great cars - perfect 50/50 weight distribution, rear wheel drive, very light, incredible handling, great transmission.. they're a ton of fun.

Does it help at all that I have an old car in the garage? Do I get any street cred for that? Smiley
Jim Ratto

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2008, 21:48:33 pm »

yeah. .. that Civic was fun.. unfortunately, I have NO photos of it when I used to Auto-X it Sad .. I'd love to see that picture of me with the can of Fix a flat !! Any chance you could scan it?

I still talk to Ty fairly often - he's living in Brentwood, married, has a couple kids and is doing well.. matter of fact, he called me recently to let me know that Carolyn (my ex, his sister) has had a couple heart attacks lately.. not good.

We've got our 20 year high school reunion coming up this September.. I haven't decided yet if I even want to go.. from what I've seen on the reunion website discussions, it's all the same old crowds from back then, the jocks, cheerleaders and 'cool' people that I never cared to hang around... so I'm probably gonna pass on it..

scary.. 20 years..

wow

yeah.. a Miata ... I know..

in all seriousness though.. they are great cars - perfect 50/50 weight distribution, rear wheel drive, very light, incredible handling, great transmission.. they're a ton of fun.

Does it help at all that I have an old car in the garage? Do I get any street cred for that? Smiley

20 year reunion...  naw....   I had it with those people back then....I'm sure nothing's changed. Somewhere there are some good memories on the Lounge about hot boxing Jason Barr's Bug on the hoist in Auto Shop and Cisek's cam in his 2bbl Chevelle.  I wonder if John still is itching to race my VW?  Grin He might want to think about that one these days.... 

I dig your Miata.... keep up the good work.

Tell Ty I said "hi" and I still have nightmares of going upside down in his Bug on Stanley blvd.
Rennsurfer

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2008, 21:52:10 pm »

scary.. 20 years..

wow

Damn, then my upcoming 30 year reunion in two years must be horrific by comparison. HAHA!! Was never into high school, either. I only attended the bare minimum to get by and barely graduated. I was too busy working two jobs, surfing, skateboarding empty pools, fishing, and building my first car which was a 1966 Cal Look Beetle. These days, not much has changed... still doing all of the above but the Beetle is now a 1967.

So... let's hear some Ratto stories. I just made some popcorn and there's a Guinness on standby.

~Sarge
Jim Ratto

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2008, 22:05:43 pm »

My other car .. (get ready for it....)  is a 1994 Mazda Miata .. I've upgraded the suspension with stiffer springs, Bilstein HD shocks, bigger sway bars, etc.. roll bar, Falken Azenis RT615 tires, and a couple other things.  I've participated in a number of open track days at Thunderhill Raceway (3 mile road course here in Northern CA) and the car does fairly well... it's a 'momentum' car on the track, since it doesn't have a ton of power, it is best to get it set up to carry as much speed through the turns as possible... which it does pretty well Smiley  It's a really fun car, and handles exceptionally well.  Let the hairdresser jokes begin.

Roll Eyes

just kidding Mark. I couldn't resist.  Grin
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2008, 22:14:27 pm »

Miata and Ratto – two words in one sentence that send shivers down everyone's spine... BUT 1971 Dodge dart, now you're talking! I drove/raced (OK, borrowed) a '71 Hemi Challenger back in the 1980s so have  grown to love Mopars. As for Jim, well, it would take more than a Penta star badge to love him... (kidding - everyone loves Jim. At least once Shocked)

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
cal_gecko

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2008, 22:54:38 pm »

I had the rare opportunity to go for a ride along in an original 1968 Hemi Dart a few years back.. a guy in the Mopar club I'm in worked for a guy who owned it.. and wanted to sell it. (back when the market was at it's peak about 3 years ago).. he asked me if I'd do a photo shoot for him for his portfolio to go with the car (for those who don't know, they only made 72 of these cars.. they came from the factory with the 426 Hemi, and were sent to Hurst to be retrofitted for race duty - fiberglass front end, they acid-dipped the chassis and doors to thin out the metal for weight savings, thinner glass in the windows, no window regulators, just a strap to pull the window up and down, etc).. pretty much the holy grail of Mopars.. .. I told him I'd shoot the car for him as long as he took me for a ride Smiley .. it was insane.  The car had so much torque it was ridiculous.. it was pure, unadulterated, raw excessive power at it's best.  Scary as all hell, but it was unreal, and a chance of a lifetime for me.
here's a snap of the engine..

My first car back in '87 or so was a '73 Plymouth Duster with a 318 ..

Of course, being 17 years old.. I beat the living snot out of that poor car.. so when the opportunity came up a 5 years ago to buy a very similar car and build it properly and not destroy it, .. I had to jump on the chance.
Here's a photo of the '71 Dart within a couple days of me bringing it home..

Here's a fun little .gif file of me starting the new engine for the first time...

with the distributor 180 degrees off..

progress pictures ..
after stripping and painting inside the trunk..

After stripping the quarterpanels/roof and fixing the dings and priming them..

Freshly painted engine compartment..

Fender after stripping... gotta love California sheetmetal!!

New engine in the freshly painted engine bay...

2 weekends ago I stripped and etch-primed the passenger door jamb.. here's how she sits in the garage right now..

cal_gecko

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2008, 23:18:21 pm »

Roll Eyes

I was wondering how long it would take.  You can only imagine the grief I get from my Mopar buddies..

No worries .. at least it's not a Chevelle, right ?
Jim Ratto

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2008, 23:28:17 pm »

Roll Eyes

I was wondering how long it would take.  You can only imagine the grief I get from my Mopar buddies..

not to mention your VW buddies.
Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2008, 00:02:46 am »

Shocked Shocked Oh geez... another one of Jim's friends!  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Just Kidding!  Wink Wink

Welcome to The Lounge! We'll have you in a VW in no time! Cheesy Cheesy

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
Jason Foster

7.69 87mph 12.35 106 mph

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2008, 05:52:19 am »

Welcome to the lounge now go get a VW..   Nice Dart.  CUTE Miata. 

STRENGTH THROUGH JOY...........

Der Kleiner Panzers
ESH

« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2008, 10:33:35 am »

Welcome to the Lounge. I can appreciate the merits of the the MX5, the Dart and either of the '68 Hemis.  Cool

Thinking about it something like this would probably look good parked next to the MX5 and the Dart...

Cool
cal_gecko

« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2008, 23:22:22 pm »

Holy cow... my wife would KILL me if I bought a $9k VW Bug .. granted, it's nice looking and all .. but you'd be reading about me in the Newspaper ..
Jason Foster

7.69 87mph 12.35 106 mph

« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2008, 02:11:57 am »

that looks like a hell of a deal!!!!!

STRENGTH THROUGH JOY...........

Der Kleiner Panzers
Rennsurfer

« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2008, 06:41:01 am »

Dang, that's a sweet deal on that '64 red car. Quite a good looker, too.

~Sarge
jamiep_jamiep

« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2008, 14:02:59 pm »

Nice car cal. Agree with all the above though, a cal looker would like right at home in that garage of yours! Wink each to their own dude, I love pretty much anything that burns fuel... the quicker the better!

ian c

« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2008, 15:38:29 pm »

yeah , miata's are ok .
can i book an appoointment ??  i'm kinda starting to get sick of wearing my cap .

Cheesy

i spent half my money on beer , cars , and women .

the other half , i just wasted .

(o\ ! /o)
cal_gecko

« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2008, 04:06:25 am »

Grin Grin Grin Grin

Mark that has to be my favorite "near death experiences." (the others involved Ty and/or Billy)

That was a cool trip all around.... crusing through Hollywood @ 2am, you falling asleep on the 14 freeway (and me steering).... yeah the whole fix a flat bit out in Devil's Golfcourse (I still have a shot of you shaking the can of fix a flat).....then the trip home up 395 and over Tioga Pass @ sunset.... my first time up at Tuolumne meadows.

Fun times taking the Civic out to Crows Landing too to grind a set of tires up out there. I really liked that car, especially after you painted it blue.

Good to see you here...  I'm sure it will roll back the clocks for both of us!  Smiley Smiley

a Miata?     Roll Eyes

Hey Ratto - found this in a box yesterday and scanned it... from our trip..
Jim Ratto

« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2008, 05:41:17 am »

Grin Grin Grin Grin

a Miata?     Roll Eyes

Hey Ratto - found this in a box yesterday and scanned it... from our trip..

thanks now I can have nightmares about mirages, circling vultures and our skeletons 3 feet from a drinking fountain
cal_gecko

« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2008, 05:46:10 am »

haha... glad I could help! If it makes you feel any better, I'm heading to Idaho tomorrow ... yeah... IDAHO... whoopeeeeeeeee
gonna be there for a few days with my wife to attend her grandfather's memorial service, and check out the great sights Idaho has to offer Roll Eyes

Got a new camera, so I'll be taking lots of photos of all the pretty potatoes.
Jim Ratto

« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2008, 05:48:56 am »

haha... glad I could help! If it makes you feel any better, I'm heading to Idaho tomorrow ... yeah... IDAHO... whoopeeeeeeeee
gonna be there for a few days with my wife to attend her grandfather's memorial service, and check out the great sights Idaho has to offer Roll Eyes

Got a new camera, so I'll be taking lots of photos of all the pretty potatoes.

talk to sheep....I bet he knows where the picturesque parts of the state are.....i.e. where you can stream fish
Rennsurfer

« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2008, 06:18:48 am »

My two sons are vacationing in the very upper portion of Idaho. I miss 'em... they'll be back this Sat. Guess they're camping by some lake, fishing, inner-tubing, and riding quad cycles. Have a safe trip up there, Mark.

~Sarge
cal_gecko

« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2008, 06:29:38 am »

Yeah, I hear it's actually really pretty there.. we're gonna go check out the Snake River and some other areas that I understand are great photo opportunities.. and if nothing else, it will be good to get out of the Sacramento heat for a week, since it's supposed to be about 105 this week.  I will be bringing my laptop with me, so if I'm able to get any cool photos from the trip, I'll post 'em up.
Speed-Randy

« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2008, 03:18:05 am »

wow!! bitchen dart man, Smiley my first car was a 70 plymouth duster, 340, pretty beat down Undecided. i'm a huge fan of the mopars, but dude, you gotta lose the miata. Cheesy

Speed-Randy

« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2008, 03:18:48 am »

by the way, welcome to th lounge

cal_gecko

« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2008, 06:25:09 am »

Made it here today ... in Twin Falls, Idaho... if nothing else, it's about 15 degrees cooler here than in Sacramento... the Snake River is really pretty ... gonna go out and do some exploring tomorrow...

Rennsurfer

« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2008, 06:28:29 am »

NICE! Hope that you're able to get some fishing time in. That place looks to be pretty promising.

~Sarge
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: