The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 01, 2024, 15:52:27 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350869 Posts in 28606 Topics by 6828 Members
Latest Member: GSW Racing
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  confused 67
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: confused 67  (Read 24302 times)
smurf67

« on: July 02, 2008, 09:54:19 am »

Just wondering i have a 67 1500 with factory disks up front and sloping headlightls but american spec bumpers wich are original is this a possible spec? As i would like upright wings was there ever factory 1500 four stud 67's like this? Help much appreciated Alex
nicolas

« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2008, 10:08:29 am »

don't think so. as the 4 lug disc setup came only in europe. all americans even the 1500's had wide 5 drums. but that doesn't mean you can build one. there was never a 2.3l type 1 engine either...  Wink
benssp

www.callookvw.com

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2008, 10:09:06 am »

has it got the upright supports above the bumper irons?

www.vwheritage.com  My Job
www.bernardnewbury.co.uk My Team
any work related enquiries to ben@vwheritage.com PM's about work will not be answered Cheesy

Bitburg Motor Boat Club Founder Member

YMCA
smurf67

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2008, 10:20:18 am »

Yeah the front valance has the holes for the overider bars same with back wings. Alex
Jordy/DVK

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2008, 11:06:04 am »

Just wondering i have a 67 1500 with factory disks up front and sloping headlightls but american spec bumpers wich are original is this a possible spec?

Yes...

As i would like upright wings was there ever factory 1500 four stud 67's like this? Help much appreciated Alex

Yesterday I went to check out an original European '67 1300 with as factory options upright headlights and the american spec bumpers. So I assume that a European 1500 could have had the same options...

Pictures of the car on the bottom of this ad: http://link.marktplaats.nl/176882689
 Could take it with me for € 1250,- but it showed rust and rot in a lot of nasty places... (around the windows, roof edge, channels, doors, decklid etc.)
 So I haven't bought it...

Proud member of:
DVK ~ Der Vollgas Kreuzers
  "The Full-Throttle Cruisers"

1951 medium brown splitwindow beetle (resto in progress)
1968 Cal-look(-a-like) (my daily driver)
smurf67

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2008, 11:19:46 am »

Thanks i just want my 67 to look correct, after slighlty ruining it by adding a 66 bootlid and wide trim when decided to go for resto look.  Roll Eyes Now im correcting these mistakes got a 67 lid still looking for valance mind but thanks for all the help as much info people can offer the better. Alex
nicolas

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2008, 11:23:29 am »

hey Jordy looked at the pics of the white beetle and it has indeed american bmpers, but in the picture it looks like it has not the supports or the extra holes for the brackets that come from the top of the bumpers... might be aftermarket or added later.
Neil Davies

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2008, 12:59:10 pm »

Although we call them US-spec bumpers it's a bit of a mis-name - you could order the bumpers on any Beetle - USA is the only place I believe to have them as standard though. So yes, it's perfectly feasable that a UK '67 1500 would have these bumpers from the factory.

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
smurf67

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2008, 13:05:15 pm »

Although we call them US-spec bumpers it's a bit of a mis-name - you could order the bumpers on any Beetle - USA is the only place I believe to have them as standard though. So yes, it's perfectly feasable that a UK '67 1500 would have these bumpers from the factory.
Is this possible with up-right wings though sorry for all the questions just like my 4stud  Grin
Shubee2 (DSK)

"There's No School Like OLD SCHOOL"

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2008, 13:15:59 pm »

The European Beetle VW1500 had a 1500 Single Port,Full Bumpers,Disc Brakes up front,4 Lug Wheels,Lock Steering with Ing Key on the Colum, Early Headlights,Door Handle on Passenger Side had no Key Hole.

The European Beetle VW1300 had a 1300 Single Port,Euro Bumpers,5 Lug Wheels,Lock Steering with Ing Key on the Colum, Early Headlights,Door Handle on Passenger Side had no Key Hole.

Der Selten Kafers VW Club.
Founding Member Est: 1976

58 Ragtop Old School Cal Look
66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
Jordy/DVK

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2008, 14:28:00 pm »

hey Jordy looked at the pics of the white beetle and it has indeed american bmpers, but in the picture it looks like it has not the supports or the extra holes for the brackets that come from the top of the bumpers... might be aftermarket or added later.

A friend of mine has a '59 with as original option (birth certificate confirms it) US bumpers and he doesn't have the extra supports either...

The big difference is that in the US those bumpers were needed for safety reasons, here in Europe it was just for the looks, so I doubt if European VWs had the extra supports as well... (but I could be wrong...)

Proud member of:

smurf67

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2008, 14:34:30 pm »

The European Beetle VW1500 had a 1500 Single Port,Full Bumpers,Disc Brakes up front,4 Lug Wheels,Lock Steering with Ing Key on the Colum, Early Headlights,Door Handle on Passenger Side had no Key Hole.

Mine is you have stated but with key in the dash rather than on the colum but birth cetificate states year of manufacture 67  Huh
Jordy/DVK

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2008, 15:44:09 pm »

Mine is you have stated but with key in the dash rather than on the colum but birth cetificate states year of manufacture 67  Huh

It's not as black and white as Shubee stated. There are differences between models of European Countries. For example: Swedish bugs always had the ign lock. on the steering column while Dutch bugs were equipped with the ign. contact switch in the dash... (but that's just one difference)

Proud member of:

smurf67

« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2008, 15:51:46 pm »

Does this men then that a 67 4stud 1500 could actually have been fitted with uprights i just dont want to change everything and the car to look wrong thats all and like my wheels to much to change them for fives at the min.
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2008, 15:56:15 pm »

Good points, Jordy. In the U.S. the Volkswagens were only offered one way, for the most part. I've seen so many variations of options/engines/trim/etc. offered on European VWs, it's hard to keep track of which country was offered what.

In 1982, I bought a Java Green late 1966 Beetle that was originally purchased in Berlin. The car was all original and had a white interior, locking steering column with the ignition below the dash, full bumpers and overriders (obviously added when it came here, no doubt), round button exterior door handles with a blank one on the passenger side (WHY did I let that go?), pear shaped outside mirror, and the speedometer was in m.p.h. but I added a k.p.h. one, later. That car was $400 and not running. I towed it 8 miles home from Seal Beach. Took out the gas tank, paid my local radiator shop $20 to boil out the tank, installed a new factory tank filter, and... the car started right up.

Drove the car for two years and Cypress Volkswagen gave me $1,2000 for trade-in value towards a brand new 1984 Rabbit GTI.

Did Standard Beetles have the locking steering column or the ignition on the dash?
« Last Edit: July 02, 2008, 15:58:45 pm by DKK_Fred » Logged

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
Jim Ratto

« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2008, 16:17:15 pm »

Good points, Jordy. In the U.S. the Volkswagens were only offered one way, for the most part. I've seen so many variations of options/engines/trim/etc. offered on European VWs, it's hard to keep track of which country was offered what.

In 1982, I bought a Java Green late 1966 Beetle that was originally purchased in Berlin. The car was all original and had a white interior, locking steering column with the ignition below the dash, full bumpers and overriders (obviously added when it came here, no doubt), round button exterior door handles with a blank one on the passenger side (WHY did I let that go?), pear shaped outside mirror, and the speedometer was in m.p.h. but I added a k.p.h. one, later. That car was $400 and not running. I towed it 8 miles home from Seal Beach. Took out the gas tank, paid my local radiator shop $20 to boil out the tank, installed a new factory tank filter, and... the car started right up.

Drove the car for two years and Cypress Volkswagen gave me $1,2000 for trade-in value towards a brand new 1984 Rabbit GTI.

Did Standard Beetles have the locking steering column or the ignition on the dash?

My '67 was a US spec car sold in Germany, built 10-25-66 and it has that weird steering lock ignition.
Jordy/DVK

« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2008, 16:20:20 pm »

Does this men then that a 67 4stud 1500 could actually have been fitted with uprights i just dont want to change everything and the car to look wrong thats all and like my wheels to much to change them for fives at the min.

I wasn't there in the 60ies so I don't know for sure, but I think it was perfectly possible. Take a look at this page http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/mcodest1.php and look at M611. I think that's the option code for upright headlamps?

Don't worry too much. If you like it, just do it... Don't worry about what the rest thinks. I think it looks perfect...

Here's a European '67 1500 converted to upright headlamps...

Proud member of:

smurf67

« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2008, 16:34:57 pm »

Thanks looks a great car i think i may just put uprigts on and keep the sprints thanks Alex
Rennsurfer

« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2008, 17:25:31 pm »

My '67 was a US spec car sold in Germany, built 10-25-66 and it has that weird steering lock ignition.

That's weird. I've never seen a pre-'68 U.S. spec Beetle with a steering lock. Every one of 'em have always been written in German. Is yours in English?

Jordy, that's a great looking car.

~Sarge
Jim Ratto

« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2008, 17:33:31 pm »

That's weird. I've never seen a pre-'68 U.S. spec Beetle with a steering lock. Every one of 'em have always been written in German. Is yours in English?

Jordy, that's a great looking car.

I don't know... I mailed my VIN of to VW AG in the early 90's and they sent me a letter saying it was a US model that was sold in Germany. I know the first owner was a doctor, maybe he was on holiday in Europe and picked it up? I dunno. The next owner basically just sat on car and put some 356-style chrome 5.5" wheels and a few other gadgets on it (009, Euro taillights, custom carpet and seat covers), and then I got the car in '86
Rennsurfer

« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2008, 17:35:08 pm »

Are the key positions written in English, Jim?

~Sarge
Jim Ratto

« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2008, 17:37:31 pm »

actually, there are no markings on lock cylinder. This car also has weird 3-point front belts (do not retract) and had matching lap belts for rear seat I wish I knew more about it
Neil Davies

« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2008, 17:42:52 pm »

actually, there are no markings on lock cylinder. This car also has weird 3-point front belts (do not retract) and had matching lap belts for rear seat I wish I knew more about it

Quite a few cars over here have the static 'belts but all sorts of makes - I've never had two beetles with the same belts in! My '70 has TWO-point diagonal only - no lap strap! Shocked Cheesy

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
Rennsurfer

« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2008, 17:47:29 pm »

Bizarre. Well... one thing can be agreed upon; VW sure mixed it up a lot. At any rate, it's your car and you can build however you see fit, Smurf67. The main thing is that you have fun and that you're happy with it. Post up some pics of the car when you get it together.

~Sarge
ST DRAGN

More Port. More Gas..Kicks Ass...

« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2008, 20:32:28 pm »

Hey Jim,
 The locking ignition was only a option. not a standard item, also so was the rear seat belts. (hard item to come across). Wink most cars have the plastic phillips plugs in there place.

The VW locking ignition had the position markings on them. yours might have been replaced at one time or another.(repop). check if your keys are "all in one". The correct 67 US key mark for "K"..

In regards to the over the shoulder seat belt. That was correct also for a  67..however I not to sure If US Gov Spec required them prior to delivery?

Anyways, again when not applied there was a plastic phillips plug in it's place. most after market interior guys cover them up, along with the seat belt locks on the lower pillar.

« Last Edit: July 02, 2008, 20:49:22 pm by ST DRAGN » Logged

Der Kleiner Panzers
Pekka

« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2008, 21:06:36 pm »

A little off topic but still on '67's... how rare is a '67 1200 ragtop?

I sent the club a wire stating, "Please accept my resignation. I don't want to belong to any club that will accept me as a member."

- Groucho Marx
Jim Ratto

« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2008, 21:36:20 pm »

Hey Jim,
 The locking ignition was only a option. not a standard item, also so was the rear seat belts. (hard item to come across). Wink most cars have the plastic phillips plugs in there place.

The VW locking ignition had the position markings on them. yours might have been replaced at one time or another.(repop). check if your keys are "all in one". The correct 67 US key mark for "K"..

In regards to the over the shoulder seat belt. That was correct also for a  67..however I not to sure If US Gov Spec required them prior to delivery?

Anyways, again when not applied there was a plastic phillips plug in it's place. most after market interior guys cover them up, along with the seat belt locks on the lower pillar.

Hi Art....yeah my car has the same key for doors and ignition...used to be a "VW" key, but it broke in my pocket years ago. I got a blank "K" at VW back then, but does not have emblem cast in anymore.
The lap belts are hard to come by? Great.... I gave them to a girlfriend years ago for her '67 vert...  Roll Eyes
ST DRAGN

More Port. More Gas..Kicks Ass...

« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2008, 22:00:20 pm »

Yeah, the rear belts are hard to come by..but I heard that the rear vert might be a little shorter then the sedans. because the seats are.
 ( that was your X- right? ) Wink  Anyways, I guess back in 67 saftey was a option.. Cheesy

Der Kleiner Panzers
Diederick/DVK

They're never done till they're sold

« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2008, 22:20:02 pm »

cool to see my '67 pop up over here  Wink

mine's a 1500 with a semi-long box, 4 lug discs, round key hole on the handle of course but no passenger door key, ignition in the dash next to the ashtray, but it didn't come with full bumpers (though i do own a pair of '67 towel rail bumpers)  Grin

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
smurf67

« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2008, 09:45:31 am »

Thanks guys for all the pointers i will post pics when its finished to show you what i decided on. Thanks again Alex
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: